The Tower: Happily Ever After

بواسطة AvengersCompound

~ 18+ MINORS DNI ~ Almost 40 years after Elise Cooper first crashed into Natasha Romanoff outside the library... المزيد

Request from the Author
Character Reference Sheet
Angela's Request
Anger Issues
Family Dinner
Relieving Tension
Farewell to Our Old Life
The Bifrost
Welcome Home
Seeing the Doctor
Dress Design
The Coronation
A Dramatic Entry
The Dark Cloud
The Stone Door
Familiars
Ups and Downs
The Council Meeting
An Academic Retreat
Eddie and Clarke
Naming Day
Natasha's Dungeon
An Outing
A Long Night
Laughter is the Best Medicine
The Challenge
The Stables and the Aerie
A Royal Fantasy
Right for You
Natasha and Steve's Prize
Getting Out of His Head
Eddie's Family
The Secret Room
Solids
The Valkyrior
The Orgy
Childhood Dreams
A Vision
Looking for Trouble
The Battle for Asgard
Adrenalin Crash
Exchange of Power
Weapons
The Feeling of Happiness
The Bachelor Party
Bonding
Celebrations
Epilogue

The Fear

812 35 3
بواسطة AvengersCompound

I was getting restless.

I had sat through my fair share of council meetings before being asked to join Thor for one of the weekly sessions where the public petitioned him for things. That could be anything from asking for a road to be fixed or an extension on a home to mediation regarding property ownership disputes or sending out guards to investigate people's concerns.

I still felt woefully underqualified for even offering my opinions on the running of the country, but where the council meetings when I said something I felt confident that the council would take into account I was still learning when I sat in front of people who saw me as some divine wisdom, I worried about fucking it up.

Not to mention the job involved sitting on a hard metal chair for the whole day dressed in formal Asgardian wear. It was incredibly uncomfortable.

I was very glad I had opted for no marks when I had been with Natasha and Steve.

The babies were brought into me to feed about two hours into the first session of petitioners and I had to work out how to breastfeed in the uncomfortable metal chair while wearing a formal Asgardian dress, without flashing the people who had come to speak with us. It wasn't easy, and I ended up just feeding one at a time, something I only did if both weren't hungry at the same time under normal circumstances.

So as I had Thour tucked into a sling made of gold fabric as she fed, Thor cradled a whiny Nova and let the infant chew on his knuckle.

"Your majesty." The Asgardian man who kneeled in front of us looked older than Thor, though I still had no idea how to judge the ages of Asgardians. If he'd been human I would have said around fifty. He was sun-weathered and had the hands of a man who used them regularly. Yet despite that, he was dressed in fine, yet simple clothing in sea and pea green, and earth brown.

"Rise, citizen," Thor said. "I apologize for my son. He's a little hungry."

The man stood and shook his head. "It is an honor to get to see them. I know they aren't brought out in public very often yet. My wife is not going to believe I was lucky enough to have them at our meeting."

"I am happy that we can send you home with at least some good news," Thor said. "Let us see if there is any more I can grant. What has brought you to me today?"

"The farmers outside the western city walls have all been reporting missing things. From small items like clothing and food to livestock," the man explained. "I myself have lost a few animals and there was a large argument I had with my wife about who ate the last of the cake she baked. To begin with, we all just thought it was one of those things. Animals can go missing from time to time. Clothes get lost in the wash. A family member will eat the last of something without telling anyone. But as the stories were passed around it became clear that this was happening a little too regularly to be normal."

"Do you believe it is a thief or a beast?" Thor asked.

"Hard to say, your majesty," the man said. "I would say, thief or thieves. But this is only part of the problem. Dread has been building. It started with nightmares, always of our biggest fears, but not happening regularly enough to warrant concern. Now my wife and I are waking several times a night with them and we are not the only ones. Everyone is complaining about lack of sleep due to these night terrors. It's beginning to seep into the day. I go outside and feel such fear, it's hard to work. My animals seem to be affected by it too. They are losing weight, abandoning their young, and bellowing constantly. There is something dark out there and it is tormenting us."

"Do you feel that fear here?" Thor asked.

The man shook his head. "No, my lord. It ended when I passed through the city gates. Almost like a weight was lifted off me. I believe we all let it get so bad because whatever this is has made us too scared to ask for help."

Thor looked to the guard near him. "Summon my daughters, Riley and Rebecca."

"If there is magic involved it might be a good idea to have Wanda or Billy go too," I suggested, speaking quietly.

Thor nodded. "And my son William."

"Yes, your majesty," the guard said and strode off.

"I shall send my children to investigate, they will require you to show them where all this is taking place," Thor said, addressing the man again.

"Of course, your majesty," he said. "I am honored that you would send your children."

"How many farms are affected?" Thor asked.

"So far there are ten of us," the man replied. "I do not know if it is spreading or whatever it is moving around. Perhaps it is both, but it only started with three of us."

Thor frowned. "These are ill omens. Perhaps you and the others should be moved to the city until this trouble passes."

"But the livestock, my lord," the man said. "It cannot be left to fend for itself."

"Indeed," Thor pondered. "My life, do you have any ideas?"

"Are there farms on the other side of the city away from whatever is happening that the animals can be moved to until we get to the bottom of this?" I asked.

Thor nodded. "I shall send someone to request assistance," he decided. "Until then I shall post guards at your farms and have them regularly rotate in the hopes that what is affecting you doesn't have a chance to affect them too. I would also suggest that anyone who is not essential to the day-to-day running of the farm leave. I will house anyone who needs it here at the palace."

"That is too kind, your majesty," the man said. "I shall tell the others of your offer."

"Thor, I need to trade kids with you," I whispered.

"Of course," Thor said, getting up. It took a little juggling but we managed to swap over Thour and Nova. As we were switching them Riley, Rebecca, and Billy came into the throne room."

"Father," Riley said. It was funny hearing her call him that. Sometimes the kids would call us mother or father in an overly serious tone as a joke, but when they did it seriously it always made me want to laugh. Riley held her hand over her breastplate and had bowed her head as she spoke with such reverence it nearly made me crack. Rebecca and Billy looked at her like she'd lost her mind but then quickly mimicked her stance.

"I need you three to go and investigate the farms to the west of the city," Thor said. "There is something sinister happening and we need to get to the bottom of it."

"You want me to go?" Billy asked.

"There may be magic involved. The people who live out there are being plagued by nightmares," Thor said. "Perhaps you can use your abilities to glean something from the site."

Billy nodded. "I'll try. I'm still learning."

"That's all I ask," Thor said. "And if you do not wish to do this kind of work..."

"No," Billy said. "I do. I'll try."

"Thank you, son," Thor said.

"If we're going to be searching for some nightmare demon I'm gonna be taking this-" Rebecca said and held out her hand.

Mjolnir shot forward but it was still attached to Thor's belt. He yelped and grabbed the handle quickly. "She is still attached to me. Did you wish to pants your father while he sits on the throne?"

Riley and Billy both unsuccessfully smothered laughter but Rebecca broke, laughing loudly. "It's good to learn humility," she teased.

That set off the farmer too, and he covered his mouth as he hid his laughter.

Thor unhooked the hammer and held it out. "Here," he said. "Take care of her."

Rebecca held out her hand and the hammer flew into it. "We won't let you down," she said.

Riley bowed to the farmer. "Sir, if you'll lead the way."

As they walked away and the next person made their way toward us Thor turned to me. "I should have the dwarves of Nidavellir forge everyone their own divine weapons. Perhaps then everyone will stop stealing mine."

I laughed. "It's not just that it's a weapon, honey," I said. "The spell means we get your powers too. Plus there's the whole ego thing about being worthy. Besides - what would mine do? Let me see the threads that connect us even brighter?"

Thor chuckled. "I suppose you're right, my life. Even still, I shall make the request."

That night, we were halfway through our dinner in the banquet hall with the whole family before Riley, Rebecca, and Billy showed up. Teddy was anxious about how long Billy had been away and no amount of me telling him he was fine would set his mind at ease.

"Teddy," I said as he pushed his food around on his plate. He looked up at me and I pointed to the doors just as they swung open and Rebecca, Riley, and Billy walked in.

Teddy jumped to his feet and rushed to Billy. "Oh my god, I was so worried," he said, pulling the other man into a deep kiss.

Piper jumped off her seat excitedly. "Daddy!" she squealed and ran to them as Flynn wiggled in his highchair.

"That's quite the welcome home," Billy chuckled as he pulled back from Teddy. "I'm fine, babe. I'm fine." He scooped up Piper and carried her to the table, kissing Flynn on the head before he took a seat.

Thor held out his hand, calling Mjolnir to him, and hung the hammer back on his belt. "How fared thee?"

"There is definitely something dark out there," Riley said as she took a seat. "We all felt it. Whatever it is, it seems to be trying to build power. And it appears to be working. The field in which we could feel that fear was significant."

Thor frowned. "I do not like the sound of that. Could you track it to its source?"

"I thought I was," Billy said. "I was definitely getting close. But whatever this is, it's strong. The trail just stopped dead and I couldn't pick it up again."

Thor stood. "I should go examine this myself."

"What now?" Rose asked.

"Yes, daughter," Thor said. "It is threatening my people. I need to be rid of it."

Steve stood and so did Wanda and Sam. "I'll come with you," they all practically said in unison.

Thor nodded. "That is a good idea. The rest of you stay put. I will be back if we cannot find anything, but I do not want to leave the palace unguarded."

"Be careful," I said.

Tony laughed. "You know he won't be."

"I'll take care of him," Wanda added and kissed the top of my head.

"Don't wait up for us," Steve said and as the three of them left the room I wondered if the dread that the farmers felt out there was anything like that which I was feeling right now.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

Worth It بواسطة delilah

قصص الهواة

315K 8.6K 41
"Sorry, Ned. I've got places to be and daddy issues to avoid!" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (Y/N)'s got it all! A lifelong friend, a dea...
123K 4K 35
-18+ ONLY. Minors DNI- The twins are now three and while the Avengers know that Clint and Thor are the biological father's none of them know or care...
89.7K 2.7K 31
-18+ ONLY. Minors DNI- With new powers, Thor now living on Earth full time, a wedding to plan, and Natasha and Wanda expecting, a lot is changing fo...
407K 11.8K 50
Beatrice was pretty prone to being an absolute dumbass online but when she meets her soulmates she realized how her dumbassary was about to fuck her...