In Other Words (Niall Fanfic)

By 1dfix586

Twenty-one year old Niall Horan has been living the life of a popstar since he was sixteen years old. As fort... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty- Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Author's Note

Chapter Thirteen

3.1K 34 5
By 1dfix586

Chapter Thirteen 

Roxy’s POV

“Pleasure meeting you, let’s keep in touch about that event next spring.” I said, shaking the last hand of the morning. I glanced at the time on my laptop. 12:45. Time to pack up and grab some lunch. More importantly, caffeine. I’d need something to get me through the rest of the afternoon. I powered down my computer and tucked it into my bag, and headed through the lobby of the Convention Center and out the revolving doors. The street was busy, and I stood there for a moment people-watching. The grumble in my stomach got me moving, toward a little sandwich shop I’d spotted on my way in this morning.

I unconsciously tapped my heel with impatience as I stood in line, waiting for the cashier to make change to the old man that was apparently paying in pesos. I had plenty of time to eat, but after standing all day at the conference, I just wanted to sit down and kick these shoes off. They’ve probably filled with blood by now.

“Roxy?” I heard a voice from behind me.  There was a group of five or so people that had pushed together a few tables off to the side of the seating area. “Hey, Roxy.”  There was a shuffle at the tables as Harry stood up and gave a wave. “Oh, hey!” I said, and waved back as I stepped up to the counter. “Come over after you’ve ordered.” He said.

“Hi, I’ll have the cranberry chicken wrap, and the largest Diet Coke you sell.” I said to the pubescent cashier.  God Bless America, I thought as he handed me the 44 ounce drink and my sandwich, wrapped in wax paper. I weaved through the mess of chairs toward Harry. “Thought you were working today?” I said, putting my lunch down across from him.

“I was earlier, but they’ve finished with me.” He said. “Everyone, this is Roxy, she’s a friend of Niall’s.” His friends introduced themselves, but hell if I can remember any of their names. They were Harry’s West Coast Posse; pretty people he’d met at various parties. They seemed nice, but were of the hipster variety that was typical of Harry’s contingent.

“You live in LA, Roxy?” the thin blonde girl (Ivy?) asked.

“No, I live in London. I am in LA this week working, just up the block at the convention center.” I said, but I could tell she wasn’t much interested. I un-wrapped my sandwich and looked at Harry, hoping he’d have better luck at sparking up a conversation, but the others carried on talking, not needing my participation.

“I rather like your dress.” Harry said to me. “Brings out the color in your eyes.” 

“Thanks.” I said. What a flirt, I thought. Not that I minded being flirted with, especially considering who we’re talking about here. I mean, come on. 

I listened in on the table conversation while demolishing my sandwich and drink. They’re comparing notes on some album I’ve never heard of. I’m so uncool. Or maybe I’m cooler; I could probably win in a head-to-head Broadway trivia battle.  My ears perked when someone at the end of the table mentioned The Temper Trap. I started to say that I really loved their last album, but sank back into my chair when the guy on the end groaned “They’re so midtown.”

“What are you doing tonight? A bunch of us are going to The Echo. You should join us.” Harry said, twisting the cap off his premium bottled water.  I gave him a skeptical look. The Echo? “Oh that place sounds…fun.” I said. What I meant of course was that it sounded terrible. My stomach churned at the thought of stale PBR smell. “Niall’s going?” I asked.

“Yeah, Niall’s in for sure.” He said. I was sort of surprised that the evening’s plans are already organized, given that it’s only early afternoon. The idea of letting loose on this town before heading back was very appealing. I would just need to get through the rest of the day. I slid my chair back and said my goodbyes to Harry’s Posse. “I’ve got to be heading back. Nice to meet you.” I said. “See you later then, Harry?”

“You will.” He said, standing at his chair. “I can send a car to get you around ten. Hey, don’t tell Niall you’re coming out. I want to see the look on his face when you walk in.”

“I like your style.” I said. “No pun intended.” Those indie fucks just looked at me, ashamed.

Niall’s POV

“It sounds sick, man!” I said to our producer, Jamie as he plays me the rough cut of the track we’d been working on for the last two days. I was the last left at the studio, laying down my vocals, having spent most of my time in the booth on the guitar. All five of us would get together back home and listen to the final cut of the song when it’s ready in a few days. For now, my work in the studio was complete. Time to live it up before the long flight back to London.

I sent a text to Roxy. Have time for a chat, Miss? Don’t want to interrupt if you’re mingling with important people.  The phone rang a minute later. “Hey, Ni.” She said. “What’s up? How was recording today?”  I loved how comfortable she sounded, like we’ve been old buds for years. I heard a rustling in the background.

“It was great, got some good stuff done today. What’s that noise?” I said.

“Huh? Oh. I’m just getting changed out of this dress. I’ve got you on speaker. Give me a second.” She said. Immediately I pictured her in her underwear. I figured I might as well come clean about it. “Great, now I’m thinking of you standing there in your underwear.” I said.

She laughed. “Will it make it worse if I tell you that I’ve got that off too? I’ve been a professional, sophisticated young woman all day, and now I just need to throw on some sweats and lay here for an hour or so to recoup.” She said, no longer on speaker.

“Only you would take a flirtatious complement and turn it on its head. As cute as I am sure you are in your sweats…”

“I was just being honest! It feels good to get take your bra off for a bit after a long day.”

“There you go again. I guess I will just cut to the chase since this phone call is going downhill rapidly. What are your plans for tonight?”

Roxy’s POV

“I’m not sure…” I said. I hadn’t considered that Niall would be looking to get together tonight, which wouldn’t allow me to surprise him as Harry suggested. “Oh Niall! Can I call you right back? My mom’s buzzing in.” I lied.

“Sure, babe.” He said. I hung up and quickly text Harry. Hey, you already told Niall about tonight, right?  I waited for his text back and started to consider an outfit. My screen lit up. Yeah, talked with him earlier, he’s coming for sure. Remember not to tell him you’ll be there. Car will pick up at 10:00.

Niall’s line rang three times before he answered. “How’s mum?” he said. “She’s fine. “ I said quickly. “So you, we were talking about tonight…” I led him back to where we left off.

“Right. I was calling to find out if you’d like to hang out tonight. It’s my last night in LA, you know. I was hoping we could spend at least part of the night with the lads, so you could get to know them.  But, then we can go do something solo afterward. How’s that sound?” he said.

Telling him I couldn’t go out in order to preserve the plan would be a little obvious, so I thought for a moment about how to navigate. “Sounds interesting. What did you have in mind?” I stalled.

“That I’m not sure about yet. Harry’s told me he going to some house party in Silver Lake, and he didn’t invite me to go with him.  I haven’t heard back yet from the others, but I am sure they’re available. I do have an idea for later, but I’m keeping it a secret for now.” He said.

“A house party?” I asked, confused as to Harry’s approach.

“I don’t really care for those people anyway, it’s no big deal.” He said. “So, are you in? Can I pick you up?”

That little shit, I thought, realizing that Harry’s plan wasn’t for me to surprise Niall at the club, but to simply get me there alone. Whether his intentions were to put me through the ringer in order to decide if I was good enough to date Niall, or try to swing my affections in his direction, I wasn’t sure. But, I was going to have the last laugh, that was for sure. I just needed to think of a way to turn this around on him, to pay him back. It would have to be done elegantly; Make my point, but not have it be uncomfortable in the future. Hmm…

“That sounds great, Ni. I’m excited!” I said. “But how about you let me pick you up? Before we meet up with the others, I just want to check out this bar I heard about. ”

I spent the remainder of no-bra hour picturing the look on Harry’s face when I show up there with Niall, and painting my nails. As I sat on the edge of the tub with the wall-mounted hairdryer pinched between my knees aimed at my drying toenails, my nerves started to rise. I hoped I didn’t blow it tonight with his friends.  They were his family now, and I can’t imagine him continuing to see me without their approval.

I let the driver know we’d be making a stop before heading to The Echo, and rattled off the name of the Niall’s hotel. I sent him a text to let him know I was on the way. Harry wanted to play games, and it made it even better that this ride was on his dime.  When we arrived at the hotel, I hopped out of the car to look for Niall in the lobby. He was just getting off the elevator as I walked in, looking fantastic, as usual. “You look ready for some fun.” He said, kissing me on the cheek. “Let’s go!” 

We loaded into the car, and he quickly took my hand out of my lap and brought it to his lips before placing it in his own lap for safe-keeping.  “How was your day, babe?” he asked.  I like it that I’ve graduated from love to babe.  I mentally high-five myself each time he says it.

We arrived at The Echo, and Niall reached for his wallet to pay the driver. “It’s all set.” I said with a grin. He seemed sort of embarrassed. “Don’t worry, I’ll let you buy me a drink.” I said, as we walked in the front door. The bar wasn’t exactly how I had pictured it, but the clientele sure was. I spotted Harry in the back corner, and turned quickly so he didn’t spot us. 

“Ni, I’m going to run to the ladies’. Grab me something from the bar?” I said, giving him a quick peck. I headed in the direction of the restroom, but altered course toward Harry once I was sure Niall was busy trying to get the bartender’s attention. With her bangs, it should take him a while.

“Harry!” I yelled over the music. He looked my way and waved me over. “Roxy, you look stunning.” He said, giving the Styles-standard kiss on each cheek. “Thank you Harry. You look dashing, as always.” I said as I bat my eyelashes, keeping up appearances. “Can I get you a drink?” he asked, as the cocktail waitress approached. “Sure. I’ll have whatever you’re having.”

“Haz! What are you doing here?” Niall said, handing me a drink and sliding his arm around my waist. “I thought you were going to Milo’s place?”

“Oh….that’s later.” He said, slowly. Harry looked at me. It looks as if I have succeeded in teaching that lesson. I wanted to badly to jump in the air and proclaim victory. But I kept it together. 

“How funny, Ni.” I said. “You guys just can’t get enough of one another. It’s even subconscious.” Niall smiled at me, obliviously. 

Someone was calling to Harry from one of the huddles of people, so I took the opportunity to end our conversation, which would have only grown even more awkward. “Let’s grab that table over there.” I said to Niall, gesturing toward a small two-seater on the opposite wall.  I picked up the drink that Harry had ordered me. “Nice try, Styles.” I said into his ear. “Thanks for the invite. And the drink. Cheers.” I clinked his glass with mine, and headed for the table, glancing back once to take a mental photo of that look of confusion I’d been fantasizing about for the last few hours.

   Roxy 1, Harry 0.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.1K 1.4K 20
Niall Horan a 19 year old boy. Has a huge crush on Harry Styles from the boyband Back To Now. What happens if Niall meets his crush? Is Harry really...
3.8K 90 37
Niall Horan is a regular 18 year old 12th year student who fell in love with his best friend, Deena, in 7th. He admits to his attraction to her, and...
Secrets By Sarina

Fanfiction

6.5K 946 38
It's scary what a smile can hide. Maria, a twenty one year old who has life all figured out, meets Niall, a simple boy from Ireland. Can Maria keep h...
19K 195 14
Niall Horan 18 years old is part of the biggest bad in the world One Direction. He has everything he needs right four best friends that love him and...