LETHAL

By k_angelkook

" A woman is dangerous when armed with beauty and a sense of humour, as she becomes irresistibly attractive."... More

NOTICE
1| CAST AND AESTHETICS
2| CAST AND AESTHETICS
PLAYLIST
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟎
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟎
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟎
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒𝟗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟎
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟏
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟐
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟑
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟓
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟔
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟖
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟗

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟕

755 15 30
By k_angelkook

𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝖙𝖔 𝕽𝖔𝖞𝖆𝖑 𝕭𝖆𝖑𝖑: 3

𝐀𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫,

𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮

𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭.

𝓅𝑒𝓇𝓇𝓎 𝓅𝑜𝑒𝓉𝓇𝓎

𝓛𝓾𝓬𝓪

She knows.

𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓮

Fragments came flashing in my mind then, like broken shards of glass putting themselves back together. 

Into a mirror.

Reflecting myself.

Reflecting him.

Reflecting us.

Him being there for me.

Him leaving me.

And never coming back.

My breathing was shallow and fast.

He looked like he stopped breathing.

The tears trickled down my cheeks. 

He blinked, startled, drawing in a sharp breath as he stared back at me with disbelieving eyes and stiffen posture.

Neither of us made a move, but our eyes dared each other. 

They held a challenge. 

A warning. 

And I actually had the courage to take that one step -

 that leads to another -

and another -

until I was running. 

Running to him.

Him, who held me like a brother.

Me, who stayed in his arms like a sister.

This wasn't meant to be. 

This isn't meant to be happening.

We weren't meant to find each other again.

But here we are, back in each other's arms.

My hands were clinging to him desperately, too afraid to let go, too afraid he'd disappear all over again. He gripped my body strongly as he held me, there, in his arms. Where I used to be. Before I faded into nothing but dust. A memory. 

I was his memory as he was mine. 

What are we now?

Whatever we are, for now, there's us. There was an us in the life before. To the next life, there will still be an us. A Luca. And me. 

A Charm.

"Principessa (Princess)", he whispered into my hair and held me tighter, closer. 

A smile found my lips and I pressed my face into his chest, staining his shirt with my tears. My fingers gripped onto him and my heart held on to the very fragment of him, so very afraid that this was only a memory that I wished were real. 

This felt so familiar.

I missed it. 

His hands were buried in my hair when he brought his head down to touch our foreheads together. A tear rolled down my cheek as he stared into my eyes. I wondered if my brown orbs were just as familiar to him as his grey-blue eyes were to me. His eyes were always sad. It made me wonder if in some fragment of our past, did I ever bring the tiniest bit of light into his life?

"You never came back", I cried.

I never thought I'd see Luca on the verge of crying. But, that's what I'm seeing now. His eyes were brimming with tears. His sad blue eyes were glassy under the moonlight as they looked back at me with regret. So so much sorrow in his eyes, that it's almost too painful to look.

"I know . . . . I know", he said softly and wiped a tear off my cheek. He hesitated for a second. A second to apologize without words before saying, "I'm sorry. I'm so . . so very sorry." His fingers threaded through my hair as he briefly brushed his lips over my cheek. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry", he said, over and over again. 

My tears kept on falling and falling. 

My memories of him came crashing down on me then. I had nobody to anchor me out of the wreck because it was one in my mind and only I can save myself.

"I don't . .  I . . .", he breathed and momentarily closed his eyes, "I don't want you to forgive me."

When I opened my mouth to speak, he added, "I know that you will, so don't." My mouth fell shut. His eyes roamed over my face before meeting mine, hurt evident in his as he attempted a soft smile. "You're so . . . good", he whispered and took my face between his shaking hands, "And pure", he breathed and paused, breaking away from my eyes before saying, "He asked me to take care of you and I  . . . I lost you."

My very well-being went into a trance then. I couldn't say a word, only listen.

"We were best friends. The three of us", he confessed, "We were meant to look after each other." There was a faint crack in his voice when he told, "You looked after us all."

Another tear of mine fell.

"I failed your brother", he said and made sure to look deeply into my eyes when he added, "I failed you and I've never been more sorry in my entire life." He pressed his forehead against mine, his thumbs caressing my cheeks, "I left you alone, I'm sorry. I should've never walked away."

"You shouldn't have", I croaked.

"I know. I know", he whispered, "I think about my mistake every single day", he pressed, "It kills me to think about it. The thought of never seeing you again . . . . killed me. Mi dispiace molto, principessa (I'm so very sorry, princess)." There wasn't even a second where his eyes left mine. He was about to say something else but bit back, debating on his next words.

"Tell me", I whimpered, "Please."

Luca took in a sharp breath, his eyes shifting from mine as he seemed unsure. A moment passed and I watched him take deep steady breaths. "He knew", he suddenly said, making me confused. "That's why he trusted me to keep you safe. It wasn't because I was his best friend." He looked me in the eyes as he said, "He knew that I'd never leave you."

I stayed silent. My tear-stained eyes looked up into his as I took in his words. As I tried to accept the memories in my head.

"He knew how much I cared about you."

"How much did you?", I bravely asked while never breaking away from the immense eye contact.

He almost smiled at that. Instead, he chuckled sadly and said, "You'll never know."

I was the one, who managed to smile first but it faded in an instant. The tears pooled in my eyes all over again. While sniffling, I asked, "Who were you? To me?"

That took him off guard. He blinked at my sudden question and stared at me wordlessly, unsure what to say. 

"What?" His hands fell down from my cheeks, taking a minor step back.

"You couldn't answer 'Who are you?', so answer 'Who were you?'", I begged, "Whichever version of yourself you're willing to reveal to me, for now, will be enough. Just that much is enough."

He gulped.

"What I want . . . . is enough. So give me that by the least", I said.

"You deserve more than enough."

"It's good you know."

He fell silent and stared at me with clouded eyes. 

"So?"

He hesitated. "We could've been like siblings. That's how others saw us", he said and looked at the space between us two.

"How did we see each other?"

That question made him freeze, his jaw and fist clenching. Suddenly, he looked angry and I didn't know why.

"I think we saw each other differently."

"Did we?", I asked in a hushed tone.

"Yes", he replied forcibly and closed his eyes. Sighing heavily, he said, "Yes. You never saw me like the way I saw you."

I fell silent.

Luca was now staring at me, waiting patiently for a response. His eyes has hardened and any evidence of tears was long gone. His face did not give away a single emotion. However, his eyes betrayed him. They were sad as always and gave away everything he felt deep inside. He was trying too hard to hold back from falling. Or jumping.

Quietly, I said, "I looked at you as an older brother."

"I looked at you as a little sister."

Letting my last tear fall, I asked, "What happened?"

He chuckled bitterly and laughed under his breath. A laugh that killed me on the inside. He was in pain, so much pain and I could hear it. 

He ran an exhausted hand over his face. "Everything", he said, "Every fucking thing happened, all at once."

I released a sigh and looked out at the darkness around us. "You disappeared", I breathed. 

"So did you."

My eyebrows furrowed.  Looking back at him, I shooked my head. "I've never had more questions than I do now."

"Then ask them."

"Would you give me the truth?", I asked, "The real truth? Because all I'm aware of is that you've lied to me since the day I stepped foot into this academy."

"I had to."

"For what reasons?"

"To protect you", he said and took an urgent step closer, "That's all I've ever done and will do all over again", he told while looking at me straight in the eyes.

Here's what I'm doing all over again, tearing up.

I blinked back my tears and heaved out a sigh. "Why haven't you said my name?"

His eyes flickered, surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Since I told you that I know, you haven't spoken my name once. Kristine. Or . . . any name really."

He clenched and unclenched his jaw. "I keep forgetting your name."

I chuckled humorously. "I guess we all are."

"That's not what I meant -"

"I know."

We went into silence. 

All I could hear was the sound of leaves wooshing in the wind and . . . . the silence between us.

"You have a name", he suddenly told.

"We all do. We're not nameless souls walking alone in the dark", I said. His breathing hitched and I looked at him sceptically. "What?"

"Nothing." I watched as the corners of his lips twitched into what almost was a smile. "You've said that before. The exact words. I remember."

Another memory came.

I can actually see it. In my mind.

Oh no . . . .  it's happening.

I'm about to break.

"What's my name?", I asked, looking at him with watery eyes filled with hope.

A hope that died when he said, "I can't tell you."

My eyebrows scrunched together. "You can't - what you can't say my name?"

"That's exactly right. I can't." He shook his head repeatedly, turning away from me as he ran his hands over his face, through his hair. "I can't."

"Is it . . . Charm?", I found myself asking in a whisper. 

His movements came to a sudden halt. He froze.

"It's been a while since I last heard that word", he said, more to himself than aloud.

"Is that it . . . Is that my name?"

He shook his head. "No. No, it's not", he sighed heavily. 

What?

"Look, Kristine", he called out in a serious tone with his head lowered before turning to face me. He took that moment to really stare through me, trying to make sense of what I was feeling for which I myself didn't even know. He exhaled a heavy sigh before saying, "There are so many things that you still don't know about."

I couldn't help but scoff, laughing to myself. "Yeah, that I figured."

"I'm serious -"

"I know you are", I said, my voice deepening as I stared back at him. 

A muscle in his jaw twitched as he clenched his fists by his side. "I . . . I don't expect you to trust me. Not that you should anyways, but listen to me." When I remained silent, he walked toward me and took my face in his hands, lowering his voice as he spoke, "You know who you are, whether you accept it or not, you're the last of the Reale bloodline", he paused while strictly looking at me dead in the eyes, "Nobody can know. Your name alone puts you in danger and I'm being really honest when I tell you that much", he said, "There's a long line of people out there who wants you dead. For what it's worth hearing, only a few believe the rumours that you're alive. Most . . . . believe you died in that fire."

My breathing was unsteady as I listened to him attentively, taking in and processing his words.

Luca swiped a thumb across my cheekbone while looking at me softly in the eyes. "Va tutto bene, principessa (It's ok, princess)", he whispered, "I'm going to protect you . . . . like I should've for the past seven years . . ."

"Luca -"

"I want to take care of you like I used to. Like I should. And it wouldn't be just for you or me, it'd be for him", he said and inhaled a sharp breath before his eyes fell shut, "The last thing he ever said to me was to keep you safe . . . . and that's exactly what I'm going to do."

I'm on the verge of breaking.

"Tienila al sicuro, Luca. (You keep her safe, Luca.)"

I can hear my brother's voice.

My brother's.

The thought of him brought me a beautiful sadness.

I'll grant my brother's last wish.

I'd grant him any wish.

 I'd give him all the wishes in the world.

Slowly, I nodded. "Ok."

Luca smiled faintly and opened his eyes to directly meet mine. 

"Don't push me away", he whispered.

"Don't walk away."

"I promise, I'd never. Never again."

He was about to pull me into a hug until I took a step back.

"I . . . . I should get back to sleep", I said with my eyes locked on the ground, "Soph would give me a mouthful if she knew I didn't get my beauty sleep", I emphasised at the end. 

"Wait . . .what? Don't -"

"You know what? Thank you", I breathed and looked back at Luca, stopping him mid-sentence, "I . .I needed this . . break. This . . . one moment, where I get to step out of this . . . .calm barricade of mine that I created for Kristine La Cartier", I said while indicating myself with my hands, "For . .  giving me the few minutes I needed to really cry . . . in front of somebody."

"And now you're back?", he asked, his voice huskier than normal. His eyes were sad but now they just seemed . . . disappointed.

I paused. My breathing steadied while I stared at him, who didn't meet my eyes. "I'm guarded."

I took another step back.

"Now, you're the one walking away", he said lowly.

"It's only a step, love -"

He lifted his face to stare directly into my eyes. "You're about to walk away."

"A step which leads to another."

"You said you have questions."

"And I do. More than ever. But instead of asking them somewhat in the middle of the night, I may as well ask them when my mind is clearer and capable of accepting whatever truth you're willing to give me", I said, "Preferably, in the day." He was about to speak but I cut him off by continuing. "Also, some truths are better found than given. I'd rather search for the truth about my past rather than fool myself into believing your lies."

"I'm not lying."

"And I'm supposed to believe that?", I asked in disbelief. "Because of all the things you said, I know one thing for sure. You shouldn't expect me to trust you because I don't", I said at once, "Just so you know, I have no idea who the Luca standing before me even is."

"You know me, Kristine."

"I knew you. Or maybe not . . .  I don't know anything and . . . I just .  . .", I sighed, "I barely have enough memories of you from my past, my mind can't clearly accept you in this present. I . . . as far as I know, you're a step closer to my past and I'll definitely need you. You want to make up for the past seven years? Tell me everything I want to know."

"Can your heart accept me?", he suddenly asked, taking me aback. "If your mind can't accept me then . . . .  maybe your heart could. Can your heart accept me?"

My mouth fell open and close. 

The me seven years ago definitely did. 

And that's the same heart.

"Can it?", I asked back and turned to walk away, but what he said next stopped me mid-way.

"You were everything to him, Kristine. All he ever wanted was -", he hesitated, "you to be safe."

I didn't move.

"He loves you."

I took in a deep breath, my shoulders rising and falling as I did. 

"If only he didn't", I whispered and then disappeared.

. . . . . .

I didn't make it back to my room.

My body came falling against the hallway wall, sliding down onto the cold floor.

I broke.

But when I  break, I don't cry. I become inhuman and unaware of the world around me. Every part of me succumbs itself into the darkness I created. 

My body, numb.

My face, emotionless.

My soul, dead.

"He asked me to take care of you . . . and I lost you."

"He knew how much I cared about you."

" You never saw me like the way I saw you."

"He loves you."

"Why?", I whispered into the dark.

I leaned my head against the wall as I stared ahead at . . . . nothing. Literally. All I saw was pitch-black.

I've officially submitted myself into the darkness of my mind.

Alone.

I'm always alone when this happens. I guess for the better.

The last thing I needed was another body to dispose of. I tend to get a little . . . . insane.

"I want my knife", I mumbled.

Alone. 

Alone.

Alone.

It's eerily comforting.

Mentally, I counted the seconds that passed, waiting for this to end.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five. 

Six.

A pair of hands found my shoulders.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine.

The hands trailed down my arms.

 Ten.

A caress on my elbows. 

Eleven.

Twelve.

Thirteen.

A brush on my fingers.

Fourteen.

Fifteen.

A hand touched my cheek.

Sixteen.

I could hear his breathing.

Seventeen.

I can feel him.

My eyes fluttered upwards and encountered his.

Clear blue eyes lured me out of the dark 

to somewhere brighter and safer.

He came.

Nicholas did.

There were questions in his eyes and mine didn't give answers, because I didn't know any. 

He looked down at me with three hidden emotions. Worry, concern and fear.

However, now, they were no longer hidden. No longer kept secret. From me

When I finally let out the breath I didn't know I was holding, he slid a hand to the back of my head and brought it into the comfort of his chest. My fingers clutched his coat and I breathed out a sigh as I eased myself into him. I closed my eyes and accepted his presence. To lose myself in his hold. A hand in my hair and another coming around my waist to cradle me against him.

He started rocking back and forth to a soft rhythm with me tucked in his arms.

I fell asleep with him whispering soothingly in my ears, "It's ok",  over and over again.

"I'm here."

❇❇❇

I woke up without the slightest idea of what day it was. 

My eyes were a little dazed a first but then cleared at the sight of the sun peeking through my bedroom curtains. 

I gasped.

Literally springing my upper body up into a sitting position, I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and checked the time. 

12: 47 pm.

Friday.

"Baise ma vie. (Fuck my life)."

. .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

I didn't make a move.

There was no point in changing into my school uniform. On Fridays, I only had morning classes, which means I missed them all.

I'm about to have a dramatic breakdown.

Definition: Fake crying with my phone pressed to my forehead.

"Ok, well that's that. Moving on." Immediately, returns to normal after six seconds.

Six seconds.

I gasped. Again.

Nicholas.

Last night.

I waited six seconds and then there he was.

"Last night . . . . did happen. Oh dear god." I hung my head and slapped a hand on my forehead.

When I made a move to stretch my back, I realised that I'd never felt more well-rested in the past days. I was actually able to sleep for over ten hours. 

Sleep.

Sleep.

Wait . . . . 

"Oh my god. I fell asleep . . . in his . . oh my . . . in his arms. I fell asleep in Nicholas's arms. Wait . . . how did I get here?" My hands started to fiddle over the sheets. "Oh my god." I started to pull on my hair and my voice was muffled as I said into the pillow, "Nicholas carried me to bed."

I started to fake cry again, adding the overdramatic crying noises. 

"Wait, what am I even crying for?", I asked myself after pulling the pillow off my face. "He just . . . . carried me to bed. Nicholas carried me to bed." I began to smile like a complete idiot. "Oh my god! It's like a scene from a romance movie", I squealed. 

I faked crying again. However, this time, it was for positive reasons. Just didn't sound like it. 

"Oh my god", I breathed and fell backwards to roll over in my bed. I was still smiling to myself when I opened my phone to unsilent it.

Wait, what?

My eyebrows furrowed when I found my phone on silent mode. I never leave it on silent. Even though I really want to. Life in business really has its 24/7 requirements.

Did . . . . Nicholas put my phone on silent?

"I really need to lock my phone."

Yes, I didn't have a lock on my phone and I of all people needed one the most. I keep forgetting to do so, no matter how many times Tamara tells me to. Which is weird because she's the one who always sneaks in my phone to find . . . . . god knows what. 

Anyways, no lock. But, I'm kind of glad I didn't have one. Oddly, I'm thankful my phone was on silent. I really needed that sleep.

I checked my phone to find . . . . zero notifications. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Did everyone die?

It was very unlikely for my sisters to not have texted me. I never sleep in till this late. 

"Oh . . . .  they wanted me to sleep in. They all did", I said after coming to the realisation and sighed with a chuckle. "This day is starting a little better than expected . . . . that's scary."

And no, I didn't forget all that happened last night.

At some point, I'll go to Luca to really talk. 

To find answers. 

. . . . . . . . . .

Since I'm available for the rest of the day, I may as well get some work done on my and Soph's little project. Her castle. I've been wanting to return there since my last visit, however, there was something really off about the place that prevented me from doing so. It could be that I'm scared. Worried even. Maybe that place . . . . could be a link to my past.

According to the weather forecast on my phone, it's quite chilly today with a temperature of 18 degrees celsius. So I decided to wear something that'll keep me warm.

Kristine's Full-Attire

I kept my makeup pretty natural with a peach blush and nude lipstick. For my hair, I tied my hair up into a middle bun with a few loose strands and sprayed a little Jo Malone hair mist after. Then, I walked into my closet to find a suitable jewellery set. 

After searching through five drawers, I came across a pair of earrings that I can't remember buying and never wore. 

"Wear them now or forever leave forgotten", I said and settled the box set on the closet table before putting them on.

Kristine's Earrings

I matched the earrings with a few simple bracelets, a watch and some rings. While I was still in the closet, I picked out this cute little Prada handbag and filled it with my necessities, including my key cards and the rose-gold knife. After spraying some perfume, I wore my coat and made my way out the door.

Where would the others be at this hour?, I thought as I walked down the staircase.

When I reached for my phone in my bag to send a text, I got distracted by the sudden growl in my stomach. 

"Yeah . . . . maybe I should eat something first."

That's what lead me to the academy's . . . . .  really really big kitchen.

"Oh my . . . .", I breathed while peaking through the wooden door.

There were a lot of workers.

"I mean . . can I just like . . walk in?", I asked myself. "And steal a pastry."

I gasped loudly when an arm came around my waist and I was pulled to the side. The next thing I knew, my nose was touching another and my eyes were staring into deep ocean orbs. My hands reached for his arms to hold on to and his on my waist. 

In my mind, I had to count to three before freeing myself from the trance his eyes held me in. 

1

2

3

I released a shaky breath before managing a smile, "Hi."

"Hey." 

My day really was starting off with a great start, now that I'm greeted with Ashton's heart-melting, charming smile.

"Should I be saying good morning or . . .  good afternoon?", he chuckled and I grumbled.

"I don't usually sleep in. I must've passed out or something last night", I began to blabber while looking down, "Now I don't know if I should just eat my lunch or have some breakfast pastries although I have been craving a pastry and I'm too hungry right now to even -"

Ashton kissed me.

His thumb and index finger were hooked under my chin as he tilted my face upwards to kiss my lips softly. Slowly, he took his time to sweetly kiss me with his fingers caressing my waist under my coat. My eyes fell closed and I kissed him as tenderly.

Over.

And over.

Again.

And as I did, I fell.

Over.

And over.

Again.

Repeat

Only after we pulled away for air, did my eyes flutter open. Ashton grinned widely and he rubbed his nose over mine as he said, "You're so fucking cute. It makes me want to kiss you all the damn time."

Oh dear god . . .  that caught me way off guard. I must be crimson by now. Definitely, I chose the wrong day to wear a peach blush.

"You wish you could, don't you?", I asked softly while meeting his eyes.

"You have no idea", he rumbled and engulfed me in his arms.

I had no idea how wide I was smiling as I rested my head on his shoulder and looped my arms around his waist.

"You going somewhere today?", he asked before brushing his lips over my temple to press a kiss on my hair, which without a doubt made me feel butterflies in my stomach.

I could only hum in response before saying, "I've got a little project to work on in the city. Oh speaking of the project, have you seen Sophia? I think she'll want to tag along on this one." I leaned back to look him in the face. 

Ashton's hand traced up and down the curve of my waist before replying, "Yeah, I think she's in the lounge with the others. Last time I checked at least, I was there earlier."

I nodded my head. "Well, where were you heading?"

"Honestly? I just wanted to walk down the hallway and hope to see you slide down the staircase or something."

As I shook my head, a sudden laugh escaped my lips and it left a smile on my face in the end as I looked at him under my eyelashes.

Ashton smiled softly while gazing at me. "Can I take you on a date tomorrow?"

"A date?" While smiling, I brought my hands to lock on his nape. "Hmm . . . . I think I can fit you into my very very busy schedule." I grinned and placed a chaste kiss on his lips 

Ashton firmly gripped my waist to press me into him, leaving me gasping by the sudden force of it. "The whole day. I want you for the entire day", he clarified against my lips while keenly looking into my eyes. 

I exhaled a short breath and wrapped my arms around his neck. With my forehead pressed against his I said, "Tomorrow, I'm all yours."

He smiled and softly kissed my lips. "Tomorrow, you're all mine."

I smiled back in return and we stayed like that for a moment longer. Smiling together while being so close. A moment that could promise endless more.

"I can't wait", I said before leaning back an inch, "Till then, I - have work to do."

"Wait." Ashton reached for my hand and stroked my fingers. "Aren't you hungry? I could show you my 'sneak into the kitchen' secret", he grinned.

I chuckled. "As much as I want to know your secrets, Mr Lennox, and as starving as I am, I really must get my day going. There's . . . quite a few things to take care of."

Ashton sighed. "You should at least grab a bite to eat. It'll make me feel better knowing you've eaten something."

That just made me soft. I'm a hundred per cent sure, I was smiling like an utter fool as he said it.

"Well, look who's such a caring boyfriend."

He stiffened and glanced up at me with his pouted lips. "Am I doing it right?", he asked bashfully and I almost swooned right there.

He's the most adorable human being I've ever met.

I bit on the inner of my bottom lip before replying, "You're doing - Honestly I . .I wouldn't know", I chuckled and shooked my head. But when I met his eyes, I knew. "You're . . . doing the best", I assured with a smile. 

Ashton could only smile back in return and kissed me.

Oh my god. How is it that every single kiss feels like a first?

"Alright. I really should go because at this rate, I don't see myself leaving", I said after reluctantly pulling away.

"Great", Ashton grinned and tried to kiss me again but I leaned my head far back. Maybe a little too much because it felt like my head was about to detach itself from my neck. "Hey", he whined, making me chuckle. 

"I must go, Mr Lennox", I said and pecked his lips, "I'll see you later."

He sighed loudly and nodded. Then, he tilted his face up and tapped his lips, "Can I have another before you go?"

A short laugh left my mouth before I leaned in to give him a single kiss.

"Alright. That's it. I have to go. Bye ~", I laughed while turning to walk away. However, I only made it a few steps until I speed-walked back to Ashton. "Just out of curiosity though, what is your 'sneak into the kitchen' secret?"

Ashton grinned widely and stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets. "Oh? That's easy. You see the female staff has a thing for ~ this", he said while indicating a finger to his face. "Yeah, they find me pretty irresistible. Even the males."

I scoffed before laughing with a shake of my head. I was at a loss for words so what I did was just grab his neck and kissed him while smiling ear to ear. Ashton chuckled and kissed me back passionately as his arms circled around my waist. 

"You - are . . . wow. Seriously", I snickered while looking up at him.

"I have my moments, remember?", he winked, making me giggle. "I'm sure you're able to sneak in just as easy. Maybe easier."

"Hm . .  is Ashton Lennox saying I'm irresistible? Way more than he is?"

He laughed and it automatically brought a smile to my face. 

His laugh was getting me more addicted. 

Addicted to him.

When his charming smile returned, my smile only broadened. "Fucking irresistible", he growled and leaned in to seize my lips fully. 

As are you.

How so very charmingly irresistible I find you, Ashton Lennox.

With resolution, I pulled away from his kiss and said, "I really am late . . . . for a meeting I didn't even schedule. Oh god, I have to go. Bye." I pecked his lips and dashed down the hallway. But, I did one last glance from behind the corner wall and found Ashton smiling my way. 

I blew a kiss.

❇❇❇

"So we're going to meet with . . . who?", Sophia asked me from the passenger seat of my car.

"Nobody."

She hummed. "Why are we in a rush then?"

"We're in a rush . . . because we were supposedly meant to meet with an architect who I forgot to schedule a meeting with."

She hummed, again. "You know, sweetie, I really just . . . don't understand you."

"You never will", I countered with a sharp glance at her.

"Ok so, what's the plan?", she asked. "What are we doing?"

I didn't reply immediately. "I guess we could discuss layout plans. Back in New York, I got in touch with a family friend, who happens to be an architect. We weren't able to meet since he lives in California, but I was able to assign him to assist us. We'll plan a meeting at some point. Hopefully."

"We were supposed to meet him today, weren't we?"

"I forgot! Ok? Let. It. Go."

"Alright, alright. But . . . why an architect from the States? I know some of the greatest architects back home in Paris, who would love to take the job."

I shrugged. "I got in touch with whoever I could, minus the time needed to research, because am not gonna lie to you sister, I got a little lazy and was distracted. Also, I don't even-"

"Sorry, why were you distracted?"

"Not the point", I returned, "Anyways, I don't know that many French architects as you do sister. If you wanted a French architect, you could've got in contact with one. Wait, why am I the one handling this? It's your castle."

"Sorry sweetie, but as you know, I have a fashion line back home that needs me. I have been quite occupied."

I looked at her weirdly. "What? ANGELIX doesn't exist? Poof. Gone. Vanished from the face of the Earth with all the other c-c-c-c-corrupt brands that didn't bring justice to fashion."

"What's with the c-c-c-c?"

"I'm . . . weird. And I just felt like it!"

"Why are you on edge?"

"I'm not on edge! I just forgot to eat", I burst, scrunching my face into an overly exaggerated crying expression with my forehead pressed against the steering wheel. Thank goodness, we were at a traffic light. 

Sophia sighed. "You always are weird when you're hungry. Most of the time, angry."

"I don't get angry when I'm hungry", I bit back with scorn.

"Right . . . ."

.   .   .   .   .  .   .  .   .

"Is this not the time to mention that we haven't really bought the property yet?", Sophia suddenly brought up. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .   .  .  .

I opened my mouth and . . .  nothing. 

Instead, I stared dumbfoundedly at the road ahead.

An awkward silence passed between us.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

"I'll get in touch with a real estate agent", Sophia hurriedly said.

"You do that."

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

"Actually . . . I don't really know any real estate agents here. You know a few good ones, don't you?", Sophia asked.

"I - " I started before breathing out a heavy sigh. "Enfer Sophia (Hell Sophia), you do know one. If not, how did you buy that townhouse of yours?"

"I bought a townhouse???", Sophia asked bewildered with widened eyes.

Breathe.

"You're . . . joking right?", I carefully asked while glancing back at her. 

A beat passes by. 

"I'm quite afraid to answer that, sweetie."

She's not joking.

Breathe.

3

"I'm this close to pulling a dagger on you, sister", I said.

She visibly stiffens. "Oh . . . that townhouse. Of course, I remember."

Doesn't sound like it. 

"The one I bought . . . two weeks -"

"Months."

"Ago? Two months??", she asked and I looked at her with fear evident in my eyes. "That's what I meant, Kristi", she explained, "The townhouse I bought two months ago and told you and Tamara about when we went shopping."

Thank goodness.

That relief was cut off way too short when Sophia asked the question I really dreaded to hear. 

"Do you . . . happen to know the address?"

"Oh dear god."

A few minutes later

Sophia doesn't know.

Every time I pass through those gates, an unsettling feeling pierces through my body. 

A feeling that says 'Welcome home'.

But here's the thing, I didn't feel at home.

I felt more distant from it than ever. 

Sophia doesn't know

what I found the day I stepped into that bedroom. 

And here's the other thing, I didn't want her to know. 

Then there's the question, should she know?

Sophia was someone I've come to love like a sister. Someone who is my sister and I loved her with every bit of my pathetic heart. 

But with love, comes trust.

One that never came. 

There were things I shared with my sisters, especially Soph, but this . . . . I kept within. Kept secret in a space that's begging to be filled. 

Never in my life have I ever wanted someone to trust with my whole heart.

It breaks me that I only trusted Sophia with half a heart. 

Meaning: I didn't trust Sophia.

Which made me . . . . a monster. 

A monster the world forged.

And life encouraged.

"Nobody can know."

I didn't trust Luca. 

Which made me . . . lost.

I didn't trust myself.

Which made me . . feel alone. 

Alone.

Alone.

Alone. 

It wasn't comforting in any way. 

It was cold and dark.

Which brought me back to last night, when I fell asleep in Nicholas's arms. 

My heart ached at the memory. Unbelievably it may sound, in that one moment, with him,  I didn't feel all alone. 

I felt assured that somebody else was willing to take over all of my problems and shelter me from the troubles of the world.

So there I was, leaning against my car door as I stared up at the abandoned mansion in front of me. Unable to focus on Sophia's words because my mind wandered off to Nicholas. And remained to think about Nicholas. I haven't seen him since last night. When I searched for Sophia in the lounge earlier, Nicholas was nowhere to be found. 

And I didn't know whether to feel happy or sad. 

He found me at my worst.

What will I even say to him?

Which makes it weirder, because the only one I wanted to talk to was him. 

Was Nicholas. 

I wanted to talk to him.

To Nicholas.

I wanted to trust him.

Trust Nicholas.

Then there's the part that shatters me . . . . 

I can't.

"I think we should re-build. Possibly, break down the place and - Kristi, are you listening?"

"Hm."

"Excuse me, is that a yes? Maman (mum) raised a lady."

That definitely pulled me back to reality.

I am a lady. 

"Yes? Ms Lemieux?", I asked in my casual-formal tone. 

For a second, concern flashed across my sister's face. "Are you alright?"

I nodded. 

Usually, I'm able to hide the emotions I'm feeling. However, to Soph, I'm always an open book. Thankfully, Sophia drops it and continues to discuss her castle. 

"I'm thinking about breaking down the original building. What do you say?", she asked and my jaw dropped.

"Pardon? But - why?"

Sophia looked at me as if I were crazy. "What do you mean? Don't you think the building's a little old? It's not far from falling apart any day now."

"So we renovate the original. What's the point of buying a castle-like mansion, only to break down everything that makes it look like a castle?"

My sister hesitates at that and thinks over what I said. I gave her the smile I usually do when I'm trying to be positive. "Come on, Soph. The place has its charms." I pulled her hands in mine and gestured to the place with a tilt of my head. "Take another look and you'll see."

With a reluctant sigh, Sophia did as I told and took one more look at the building before us.

"Really see", I said and Sophia's eyes studied the place from top to bottom, pausing at the front door. "Visualize possibilities, Soph."

And just like that, something sparked in her eyes.

Hope. 

Which only encouraged mine to grow.

"In every ruin, there is always beauty", I said with a smile tugging at my lips. 

When Sophia turned back to look at me, I was more than pleased to see that 'won-over grin' on her face.

"My sister can never resist my words", I spoke with a nonchalant grin of my own.

"That's because you have a way with words, Kristi", Sophia breathed. But then, her eyes saddened and her voice softened when she asked, "Why did you stop writing?"

My smile started to fade but nevertheless, it lingered. I couldn't meet Sophia's eyes as I merely shrugged my shoulders and said, "I'm waiting for something to write about."

A pause.

"Or someone", she said and that smile playing on her lips told me what she meant. 

Or someone.

To write about someone meant something very deep to me.

Once someone enters my journal, they become an official part of my life.

That's what my journals are. My life. 

I haven't written in a long while, which means I lost letters. I lost words. I lost my life. 

Once someone enters my journal, they become a part of me.

That's what my journals are. Me.

I haven't written in a long while, which means the pages are blank. I was empty inside.

I myself was an empty space 

that yearns to be filled.

When Sophia pulled me into that warm sisterly hug of hers, I didn't pull away. 

How could I? 

I was weak. 

I was hollow.

However, I found the strength to wrap my arms around her and hold her close to me.

I had the strength to love. 

"Tell me all of your ideas", Sophia said softly.

A small smile graced my lips. "Gladly."

Sophia doesn't know.

She doesn't know the real reason why I didn't want to break this castle to the ground. 

Because I found truth in that bedroom.

A music box.

A piano. 

A melody that called me.

A calling that I needed to go back and listen to.

The list of things Sophia doesn't know was just getting longer and longer. And if Sophia doesn't know, nobody does. This really does hurt because it reminds me constantly that I don't trust anyone. As I said, I only trusted Sophia with half a heart. The reminder that I do, trust her with only half of my heart, always makes me want to get down on my knees and beg anyone who's listening to give me someone, anyone, to trust whole-heartedly.

Because carrying these burdens will eventually start to weigh on me.

And pull me down 

to the hard ground.

My phone rang and I pulled away from the comfort of my sister's arms.

"Excuse me", was all I said and Sophia simply nodded.

Usually, I'd mention the caller ID, but when I don't it means it's a serious phone call. My sisters always respected me whenever I needed to be alone and gave me all the privacy I needed.

I love them so much.

"I'll wait in the car", my sister told and pecked my cheek before making her way into the passenger seat of my Ferrari.

I turned so that she was facing my back and swiped the answer icon on my phone.

ON-CALL

My Gurl:

Yo, guess who's in London?

I chuckled and smiled into the phone.

Maya's here.

Me:

I don't know. You tell me. 

My Gurl:

Ha! Look, I wish this was one of those 'Hey, really missed you girlfriend and we should get drunk together' kind of visit but . . . you know it's not.

My smile faltered. 

I had a feeling.

With those four girls, there was never that kind of visit. 

Even though, I wish there was.

Me:

I know. 

My Gurl:

I got the info you wanted. We need to meet. As in . . . NOW.

I gulped after hearing the urgency in her voice. We're getting really serious.

 Me:

Where?

My Gurl:

I don't know, boss. You tell me. This is freaking London and it's fucking massive. FYI, I've never been here if that isn't obvious. 

Me:

Eh, it's obvious.

My Gurl:

Whatever. You pulled me out of the goddamn gutter, I never travelled before then. Anyways, take me someplace where the food is crazy good. I haven't eaten anything in like . . forever.

Me:

That makes two of us. I muttered. Meet at the Coppa Club in fifteen. Tower bridge.

My Gurl:

Is that like a pub or a restaurant? Sounds like a pub.

Me:

Why on Earth would it be a pub? I'm not a day drinker.

My Gurl:

Thank god. I feel like murdering a burger right now. Or fish & chips, whatever is a British speciality.

Me:

Between burger and fish & chips??? Yeah, most likely, fish & chips.

My stomach growled. 

Me:

Ok, my stomach is so close to throwing a tantrum. See you in fifteen.

My Gurl:

Bye. Also, you're paying.

She hung up.

"Duh", I said under my breath as if Maya was still on the other side of the line.

I tucked my phone back into my handbag and started making my way into the driver's seat of my car.

"Everything alright?", was the first thing my sister asked me. 

I gave a nod and fortunately, the look on my face was convincing because Sophia stayed silent. She can't know that Maya called. She can never know that she's in London. Even if I told her that Maya was the one who called, it'd be hard to come up with an excuse since Maya rarely ever calls. She's always fine on her own. Apparently. 

As I pulled my seatbelt on, I glanced at Sophia, who was now looking out at the building that was soon to be hers. 

I was relieved Sophia wanted to hear out my ideas because it gave me more time to think about what I'll do with the things in that castle. 

I have yet to explore every single inch of the place.

And find more things I didn't want to see.

While I began to put the car in reverse, I kept my eyes glued on the castle that towered over everything. And everything about it overwhelmed me. My senses. My feelings. My heart.

I knew a little princess lived in there.

And there was something in that melody calling that told me

I was that princess.

A long-lost princess fated to disappear. 

❇❇❇

"Well fuck, look at you. Did your legs get longer or is it the boots? Your boobs grew along with them I'm sure", was the first thing that left Maya's mouth when she saw me.

I could only shake my head in disbelief and smile as widely as Maya before we engulfed each other in a complete friend hug. 

"Got to respect the no filter, right?", I asked without breaking the hug.

"You live with Sophia and Tamara, filter is something you'll never get babe."

"Point taken. Also a) It's the boots and b) I'm sure they did", I said with a tight smile. 

Maya chuckled and we pulled away from each other. After we took our seats under an igloo facing London Bridge, did Maya ask, "Is something wrong lately?"

"With me? Usually", I replied casually and received an eye roll.

"I mean . . . actually yeah, is something wrong with you? You chose the most open-spaced restaurant like ever where everyone can see us together and we're not meant to be seen together. More specifically, Kristine La Cartier is not meant to be seen with me. So . . . I'm starting to think you've officially lost your fucking mind or you just want me to get assassinated on my way back to the airport. Which one is it?"

Of all the girls, Maya is the only one who's the most direct when it comes to me. She's fearless of my irritation. One of the reasons why I love her. 

My lips twitched and the next thing I know, I laughed. "Wow. Ok, between the two, most probably the former. But fortunately, it's neither. Well not entirely, I lost my fucking mind a long time ago", I shrugged. 

"Ok . . . . now I'm confident you just want me to get killed."

I chuckled. "Look Aya (nickname of mine for Maya), you and I both know . . .  I'm not that dumb."

"Of course, I know that. Heck, you're not dumb at all. You're a flippin genius. I just need . . . you know an explanation to why we're out in the . . . open? You know . . .  public???" She used her arms to gesture to our surroundings. 

"What public?", I asked and signalled her to take a look around. 

She did to find . . . an empty restaurant.

When she met my eyes, her expression was wary. "It's even weirder that the place just so happens to be empty."

"It's not weird when you're Kristine La Cartier babe", I said and tapped an index finger on my temple, "I called beforehand."

Very slowly . . . . Maya nodded. "Huh . . . . so the whole place is ours?"

"Indeed", I answered and began to flip through the menu, "Now may we please order, love? I'm starving."

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Only after I ordered myself a Smoked Haddock and Maya ordered herself a Coppa Burger with Bacon did we continue to talk.

"Shall we begin?", I asked and folded my arms over the table. 

Maya's eyebrows knitted together as she stared at me. 

"Something . . . wrong?", I questioned.

"You were late. I just realised. You're never late. Like ever", she said and furrowed her eyebrows more, "What happened?"

"Well, aren't you observing", I replied in a calm tone, "I was out with Sophia. Had to drop her off at Mayfair since according to her . . . she needed to buy a few things."

Thankfully, she did. Because I would've been thirty minutes late if I had to drop her off at the academy and u-turn back into the city. 

"Must be new shoes", Maya mumbled and furrowed her eyebrows again as she studied me. Specifically, my face.

"What?", I breathed.

"You look . . . . . . different."

"In a . . . good way or bad way?", I nervously asked.

"Good . . ." She gave a nod while considering her next words. "You know, the first reason that popped in my head for you being late was that you have a boyfriend."

I shrugged a shoulder and turned to look at the Southbank.

"Oh my god."

Our appetisers and drinks arrived. Thankfully. 

"I thought you weren't a day drinker?", Maya asked as she watched a waiter pour me a glass of rose champagne.

"I figured I'm not going to like what I'm about to hear. Alcohol will hopefully get me through this", I said and raised the glass to my lips, winking at Maya before taking a sip. "Want one?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks", she replied and drank a gulp of her diet coke. 

Maya was two years older than me. But in most scenarios, I was the adult. 

I excused the waiter and noticed the once-over Maya gave him as he walked away. Unconsciously, I bit my lip and grinned down at my lap.  

"He's cute", I said while grinning.

Maya scoffed. "Yeah, no."

"No . . he's not cute?"

"No. I mean he's cute but -"

I raised my eyebrows with a self-satisfied look playing on my face. "Finally. A boy Aya thinks is cute", I praised above with a happy smile, "He seems our age."

"You didn't even look at him."

Again, I shrugged. "You wouldn't look at him if he wasn't. You're not into older men."

"Whatever, boss. He was looking at you", she smirked and I dismissed her with the flick of my fingers. 

"You always say that to cover. We both know you're attractive, Aya."

"Next to you? We both know that's impossible, Kristine", she chuckled and took another sip of her soda. 

I sighed. "You look down at yourself, Aya. If my sisters were here, they'd give you a mouthful."

"Actually, no. I expect that from you", she faintly smiled and I chuckled.

"Don't worry. You won't be getting it from me. Not today, at least. We have important matters to talk about."

As soon as I said that, the mood between us shifted.

"Yeah", Maya agreed with a stiff nod, "Can we stuff our stomachs with these appetisers first? We're both hungry."

"Let's", I breathed.

We were both stalling.

A few minutes later

"Sorry they don't have fish & chips."

Maya shrugged. "Don't sweat it. Better buy me one during my next visit though", she grinned and took a bite out of her burger.

"Done."

We continued to eat quietly.

What am I so afraid of?

It's better to find out now than never.

"We're losing time, Kristine", Maya strictly mentioned without meeting my eyes.

"We make the time", I said while slicing a knife through my Haddock. After taking a bite off my fork, I chewed slowly. Then, I took a sip of my champagne and leaned back in my chair. "Tell me."

Maya swallowed before wiping her mouth with a napkin. She tossed it aside and folded her arms across her chest. She then looked me straight in the eyes with overwhelming seriousness. "Are you going to explain to me what the hell is going on, Kristine?"

I shook my head and she sighed. Hanging her head low, she smacked her lips together before saying, "Ok, right to it then." She clasped her hands together on the table and leaned on her elbows. "I think I may be one of Earth's greatest hackers."

Despite the seriousness of the conversation, I couldn't help but snort and laugh softly. 

"Why do you think I asked you?", I asked with an eyebrow raised, but I was smiling. Fortunately. It lightens the mood.

"Yeah yeah I know. I'm awesome. Anyways -" She inhaled a sharp breath. "You won't believe how deep I had to dig."

She had my full focus then.

I leaned forwards to fold my arms together over the table and fixed her with a look. Maya took that as a sign to continue, "Everything about this family, Kristine, was erased. Like zero info." She used her fingers to shape an O. "Zero."

"I get it. There's nothing on them."

"Ha!" She pointed a finger at me. "Correct. But you're hacker -" She pointed back to herself. "Came through."

I had to bite back a grin. "And what did she find?"

"Some pretty gruesome things actually."

My heart squeezed.

"I admit . . . I almost cried. What happened to this family, was tragic."

My heart clenched tighter. I surely hope I was prepared for this.

"The Reales were one of the biggest mafia family in Europe. Maybe in the world even. They practically ruled Italy since the 18 hundreds. But . . . they aren't known just because of their mafia shit and all that kind of stuff", she gave me a furrowed look, "They were kind of like the Valiente's actually. Italy's biggest developers, they build the land blah blah blah."

"It's good to see you're still humorous."

She ignored my comment. "Kristine, these people run the biggest criminal organisation of all time."

Obviously.

"They're dangerous. Like every other mafia out there. Noted."

Maya nodded but then said, "Also, the biggest target out there."

I looked at her questioningly. "That powerful? Everyone wants them dead."

"Because they have something everyone doesn't. That's the thing with these mafia families. Always ready to slice each other's throat."

I didn't even want to ask. "Oh god . . . "

"Yup. Now everyone is out searching for the family fortune - that is currently missing."

"Missing?", I voiced and my eyebrows furrowed. "What . . .  family fortune? A vault?"

Maya sighed before grinning smugly, "Transaction numbers."

Well damn.

"Files. Documents. Everything that only the Reales had access to ."

"Everyone's after the numbers", I whispered as I processed the information I was given.

"Yup. Just a few digits that are key to one of the world's greatest fortunes."

I looked at her sceptically. "Why would it be one of the world's greatest fortunes? What's in those files?"

Maya only grinned more and I started to grow anxious. "There's something kind of cool yet more intimidating about being the greatest mafia family of all time. And that is -" She pressed the pad of her fingers onto the table. "Everyone's afraid of you. Including the government. . .  the police. You know -" She shrugged. "People with authority."

I just got more nervous. It's normal for the authorities to falter when it came to the mafia clan, but something told me this was a whole new level of fear. 

"The Reales are in possession of  deadly weaponry codes", she said while giving me a significant look. It took a good five seconds before a gasp left my lips. 

Nuclear.

"What?", I asked, visibly shocked. "That's not even possible. Unless, someone . . . "

"Gave it to them? Yeah, it's a mafia gang we're talking about. But at the same time, clearly, they were respected."

"A mafia family that's respected by the leader of the free world?", I asked and gave her a dead-pan look. 

"Do you believe in good mafia?", she randomly questioned. 

That silenced me on the spot.

"You just said these people run the biggest criminal organisation of all time."

"Yeah but . . . .  maybe they used that to their advantage and did something worth doing."

"Why are you saying all this all of a sudden?"

She shrugged and picked on a loose thread of her sleeve. "I don't know, Kristine. Everything about this family is weird. They didn't do bad and they didn't do good either. They were . . .  kind of stuck in between", she explained and momentarily met my eyes, "A mafia family who had balance."

"That's . . . that can't be", I mumbled weakly and looked inside the glass in my hand.

I heard Maya sigh. "You and I both know . . . . it could be. With the right leader."

A short silence fell between us. 

Before I could even stop myself I asked, "Who was the last?"

Maya was quiet for a moment and I thought she didn't understand what I meant. But she did. "Matteo Reale."

"The Reales, Matteo and Pensri, had two children. One boy. One girl."

"Did he marry?", I asked.

She nodded. "Pensri. There's not much about her. Couldn't even find  out her last name. It's like . . .  she never existed."

"Pensri . . . " I rolled the name off my tongue, trying to find some familiarity from it. But, nothing. "What origin do you think the name's from?"

Maya shrugged her shoulders. "Beats me."

I tapped my fingers on the table, the sound of my nails drumming over it. "Did they have children?", I asked as calmly as I could.

A nod. "They had a son."

I'm positive. 

I heard the single sound of my heartbeat.

It beat so loud and hard against my chest. 

I sipped on my champagne and licked my bottom lip after. "A son . . .?"

Another nod. 

"They had a son."

No daughter. 

Would Maya hide it from me?

Would Maya lie to me?

I didn't know what to believe.

"What happened to them? The family?"

Maya released an exasperated sigh before beginning the tragic story, "Ambushed on the night of April 26th, 2015. Every one of them, slaughtered in their family estate which . . . apparently still stands to this day. But um . . . my bet it's haunted", she said with a smirk. She's trying to lighten the conversation.  

"All of them?", I asked with my face cleared of any emotion. 

"A fire started."

"Nah. Apparently, not. The son . . .  he was able to sneak out, followed with the family bodyguard. To some sort of outpost. All I know, is that it was somewhere deep in the woods. Next to a lake. Anyways, at some point the bad guys -" She used quotation marks. "Found the kid. And burned the place down."

I exhaled. 

There was a knot of emotions bundling up inside of my chest. 

All I wanted, was to be untied. 

"That's it then? The Reales are gone."

Maya played with her french fries. She dipped one in ketchup before tossing it into her mouth. "I wouldn't be too sure."

My eyebrows flew upwards. "What makes you say that?"

She snickered. "Families like these don't just disappear, Kristine. I don't think I'm wrong to believe there's a long lost relative out there just waiting -" She shoved another fry into her mouth and chewed. "To have revenge."

I poured myself another glass of my drink. "So there's a possibility? There's a living breathing soul out there that still carries the last of the Reale bloodline?"

She contemplated my question. "I don't doubt it a hundred per cent", she said.

Releasing a sigh, I turned to look out at the river and she did as well.

"There is a one in a million chance, Kristine. But whoever this person is, she or he is the one last source of those numbers. The only key to the Reale fortune and their weapons which could possibly be some the deadliest weapons on the planet." She shook her head in disbelief. "You can only imagine the line of people who's desperate to get their hands on this source."

"You're saying -"

"That this person will eventually be killed before ever getting the chance of having revenge."

I moistened my lips and took my last sip of Rosé Chardonnay. 

"Don't bet on it."

❇❇❇

My conversation with Maya replayed in my head for the rest of the day.

"They had a son."

No daughter.

The daughter doesn't exist. 

What do you know, Luca?

The first place my legs dragged me when I arrived back at the academy, was the library.

I think what brought me here was my pure love for books.

So I thought . . . . 

"I sometimes wonder if you're anywhere else . . but here", I said while leaning against the lounge entrance frame and looking at Xavier, who was sitting in my usual spot with a book between his hands.

Xavier's eyes snapped up at the sound of my voice. Within seconds, his hands were on my cheeks and his lips were pressed against mine. I hooked a hand on his nape and pushed myself onto my toes. Hell, I'm wearing heels and Xavier Valdéz still had a good several inches above me. I parted my lips and he wasted no time tackling my tongue with his. 

"I missed you", he growled into my mouth and kissed me harder.

Holy shit . . .  this man is famished.

He rubbed his tongue against mine way too well, practically shoving it down my throat and before I could stop myself, a moan was released into his mouth. 

I wasn't planning on having a make-out session but hell . . . . Xavier's mouth was so warm . . . so good. 

My arms looped around his neck and his fingers gripped my waist, digging into my curves. I pulled on his bottom lip with my teeth before saying with a grin, "You saw me this morning."

"But didn't get to kiss you", he said and his lips were back on mine, hot, wet and hungry.

God . . . my core was literally aching. 

Xavier Valdéz had this effect on me. 

When he broke the kiss, we were both gasping for air. Xavier pressed his forehead to mine and whispered onto my lips, "I hated seeing you this morning, Kristine."

I heard a crack and prayed to god . . . it wasn't my heart.

What's happening to me? Since when did I become so fragile. 

"What?", I merely whispered back.

Xavier tucked his face against my temple and softly spoke into my ear, "Do you have any idea how beautiful you look?", he asked and absently stroked a thumb across my abdomen as his strong hands found refuge in the curves of my waist, "It took all of my willpower to not jump off that couch and hold you, press you against the wall - ", he continued and leaned back to brush a thumb along my bottom lip as he gazed at mouth heatedly, "And kiss these full lips." Xavier's eyes flickered to look into mine and hell hell hell, I wasn't prepared for him to say, "Your lips, they're the only ones I want to kiss forever. "

Fuck that . . . . My heart was literally in Xavier Valdéz's hands. He could do whatever he wanted with it. Including, breaking it. 

When he kissed me again, I completely melted. Because instead of a hungry and rough kiss like earlier, his kiss was now feather-light and soft. Heart-warming. 

After kissing the crown of my head did he connect our foreheads together and pulled my body into him. Gathering me closer and closer, when there's no more distance between us.

God, please help me, I mentally pleaded. My heart was beating way too fast. I was close to tears.

"Mi amor (my love)?", Xavier called but my focus was elsewhere. In my head. "What's wrong?"

I realised my arms have fell to my sides and his warm hands were now cupping my face.

"Look at me, mi amor. Please", his voice dropped to the softest tone and it made butterflies erupt in my stomach. I couldn't help but obey and when I raised my eyes to meet his, Xavier's shocked expression carved into concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I could barely hear my own voice, but Xavier surprisingly does.

"You're crying, amor (love)", he breathed and tenderly brushed his thumbs across my cheekbones.

I didn't realise I was.

My mouth opened . . and fell shut. It opened again . . . and nothing.

Xavier's eyes frantically searched mine as his fingers caressed every inch of my face. And when I blinked, a hot tear trickled down my cheek. I expected Xavier to brush it away but instead, he leaned in and allowed my tear to fall onto his lips.

He kissed my tear away. 

And by that one action, my heart squeezed inside of my chest.

Xavier just continued to softly gaze into my eyes with his forehead never leaving mine. He didn't even push me with questions. He just held me, caressed me and kissed me. He waited. 

I was then brought back to that day when he . . .  found me. 

Right here in this library.

My face collided with a hard chest and strong arms secured themselves around my body tightly. Wrapping my arms around his torso, I pressed my face into his chest and tried to calm my breathing.

"I found you." Xavier's hand caressed the back of my head. 

.  .  .  .  .

"And I see you in everything", I whispered. 

.  .  .  .  .

"Thank you for finding me." 

.  .  .  .  .

My hand reached up to push him away so I could leave. But once my hand touched his chest he placed his hand on mine.

.  .  .  .  .

His hand that lingered on my jawline moved down my arm to the small of my back. He pushed me towards him and wrapped both arms around me tightly.

"Only three minutes and I already panicked", he mumbled.

I actually felt something when he said that. Something's happening and I'm more scared than ever.

Something did happen.

Then I knew, that Xavier Valdéz would wait forever for me to open up. 

Ever since that day, he's never asked anything. He just waits for the day I'll tell him everything. The day I'll trust him. And till then, he delicately holds me and tries his very best to bring peace to my heart.

It was at this very moment that I realised, I'd fallen in love with Xavier Valdéz.

I closed my eyes and felt Xavier press a slow kiss on the gap between my eyebrows. 

In that one second, I was at the edge of breaking apart but somehow, I rebuilt my walls and pulled myself together. Or at least tried to before it's too late. 

When I peeled my eyes open, I forced myself to not look away from his as I said, more like whispered, "There's this book -", I stammered, "Olivia gave it to me last night after dinner . . . . Could we . . read it together?"

I didn't even have to mention what book because Xavier was already nodding. Neither did I have to explain who Olivia was because Xavier's met Charles's little sister countless times. He's most probably known her his entire life. 

"It's in my room. I'll go get it", I said softly, way too soft and the moment I turned away, Xavier's hand came around my wrist. He pulled me to look at him and I had no choice but to. Xavier visibly froze and stared at me with an uncertain look on his face.

He didn't want to let me go. That . . . I knew.

"I'll be back. Promise." I attempted a soft smile to assure him. 

Just a few minutes, I wanted to say but then remembered what he said then . . .

 "Only three minutes and I already panicked."

Xavier's thumb traced a circle on my inner wrist before bringing both of his hands up to hold my face and kiss my forehead.

"I'll wait", he said while brushing his lips down my face.

A wave of guilt crashed through me when I turned away the second his lips touched mine. 

Only after I was at least ten steps away, did I duck into one of the aisles and pressed my back against a bookshelf with my face buried in my hands.

I didn't know what was going on. I felt more fragile than ever. It's never been easier to break me, until now. Until, after last night.

Everything that happened last night definitely did something to me. I had no idea the result of it would physically and mentally damage me this much. It shattered me into pieces. 

Then someone came along that night to pick up those pieces . . . and make me a whole. To make go from nothing to something. 

Nicholas.

He held me when I broke apart. 

But that's the thing. Nicholas showed up when I was at my lowest and instead of leaving me alone, he stayed and held me until I fell asleep. That just broke me all over again.

The tiniest action of anyone caring about me would fracture me. Because I couldn't believe anyone would want to care about me. 

Why would anyone?

I heard something.

My head instantly lifted to look around the aisle I was in. 

There was nobody there.

After releasing a short breath, I tucked my hands into my coat pocket and made my way out of the library. 

𝓣𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓭  𝓟𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓸𝓷

Kristine walked away without knowing, a pair of blue eyes were following her as she did.

He watched her from the second floor and as he did, the only thought that filled his head was . . .

If only, she looked up. 

Because if she did, he would've run down those steps and pulled her into his arms without any intention of letting her go, ever. 

He couldn't stand leaving her alone after seeing her. The one thing that stopped him from chasing her was . . . . . her.

What she wanted, he wanted the same. 

He knew she was stronger on her own.

So that's what he did. 

He allowed her to be with herself.

Because that's what she wanted.

Nicholas watched her disappear past the library doors.

𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓮

How did we get here?

Xavier and I were both laying down on the sofa in the lounge with my back against his chest, his arms wrapped around me and our legs overlapped with each other. His cheek was touching mine and it easily made me feel all fluttery inside.

"Great Expectations. Charles Dickens", Xavier read out softly with a smile I could feel stretch against my cheek, his breath tickling my skin. "I remember the day I gave it to her."

"I assume you've already read the book . . . "

"I have", he admitted, "But I don't mind reading it again. It's a good book."

Slowly, I nodded and wet my suddenly dry lips. "The story follows the childhood of a blacksmith's apprentice, right? He suddenly comes into a large fortune from a mysterious benefactor and moves to London where he enters some high class society."

I felt Xavier's chest vibrate from behind me and I didn't look to see whether he was crying or laughing. Most probably, the latter. "I'll let you find out", was the response I got but whispered into my ear, which caused my shoulder to jump slightly at the unexpected action. 

Oh, who am I kidding? It was so expected. Xavier Valdéz has a fetish for my ear. 

What was unexpected though . . . was when Xavier pressed a kiss onto that shoulder. 

Bloody hell, why does he have to be so good at physical affection?

"A . .alright then, let's start reading", I said and started to flip open the cover page until a thought came to mind. "Wait a second . . . I'm the one that's been reading to you this entire time. When will you read to me?"

Xavier glided his fingers across my jaw and angled my face to meet his eyes, which I have been clearly avoiding after stepping back into the library. "I''d read for you anytime, Kristine. All you have to do is ask."

Such a simple thing to say, but there was something so romantic about his words that made me feel . . .  something great. Something beautiful. 

"So ask", he softly ordered and I realised that I'd been staring at him. 

Talk about avoiding his eyes, I was literally gazing deep into them.

"Ask . . .?"

The grin he wore so perfectly appeared and I knew I was a goner. "Come on, Kristine. I've always asked you to read to me. It's your turn."

I blinked and wished I hadn't, because my gaze flickered down to his lips that were still curved into that signature smirk of his. Almost immediately, I ripped my attention to focus elsewhere. Anywhere but his insanely handsome face. 

"Um . . ok", I weakly said, "Will you read to me?"

"Yes." His response was immediate and my toes curled at the firmness of his voice. 

When Xavier took the book out of my hands, I allowed him. 

When he tightened an arm around me, I let him. 

When he started to read, I melted into him.

𝓧𝓪𝓿𝓲𝓮𝓻

 I had no idea I'd feel regret when I was finally given this chance.

 I've waited for the day Kristine will ask me to read to her. Because she's just . . .  someone I really want to read to. Someone I want to read every story to. 

I like the intrigued look on her face when I read out a quote she likes.

I like the way her brown eyes follow the lines I read off the pages.

I love the pout she always rests her lips in while we go through the book. 

But there was something I hated, which was why I regret being the one reading.

I hate not being able to look at her.

Whenever I paused . . .  to stare at her, she'd elbow my side without ever taking her eyes off the book, gesturing for me to continue.

I'd just chuckle at how cute Kristine La Cartier can be and do as she says. 

She does something to me.

Makes me want to do things I'd never do for anyone else.

She controls my thoughts, my sleep and my desire. Every part of me, she has. I don't know how she does it, but somehow, she's got me under her spell. 

I'd do anything for her.

"She had curiously thoughtful and attentive eyes; eyes that were very pretty and very good", my voice had slowed as I read out each word with meaning, with truth as I read about her eyes. 

I didn't even try to resist looking down at her and unintentionally my breath hitched at the sight of her doe eyes looking upwards. 

Kristine was already looking at me. 

My heart has never beaten so fast for anyone.

Ella es tan bella. (She's so beautiful.)

Her lips twitched into a grin. I soaked in the way her eyes squinted and how cute she looks when her cheeks puff out. 

"Do I have curiously thoughtful and attentive eyes?", she asked and the soft breathy sound of her voice sent pleasures all the way down to my member. I've tried my absolute best to control myself around this attractive woman, but it's been really difficult to hide the hard-on I get every time I lay eyes on her. 

She's the most desirable.

I didn't realise I'd been staring at her. Truthfully, I was taking the chance to look into her eyes. I noticed earlier that she avoided connecting her eyes with mine and I couldn't describe the ache in my chest when she did. 

To think I've just seen in her tears, broke my heart.

But then again, I had never seen anything more beautiful. 

The glossiness in her eyes, her flushed cheeks and her soft lips. 

I wanted to ask her what I did wrong. I wanted her answers to my questions. I wanted to know everything that'd bring tears to her eyes.

But I didn't.

For now, I have to accept that choice. 

Perhaps I'd been staring for too long because I wasn't expecting her to grasp my chin between her fingers and press her lips to mine.

My mouth responded at once. She always tasted so heavenly, I could devour her for hours. For days. For weeks. Months. Years. I could have her forever.

She chuckled after leaning back to meet my eyes. "Do I?", she asked softly and I was wonderstruck by how beautiful she was up close. Her perfect full lips, flawless skin and innocent doe eyes.

"Yes, mi amor (my love)", I said without ever breaking my gaze away from her.

When she smiled, I knew I was in love. 

When she kissed me, I knew I've fallen hard.

I groaned when she abruptly pulled away and she chuckled.

Her chuckles are cute. 

 "I'm hungry", she said with her bottom lip jutting out and I restrained myself from biting it, "Would you have dinner with me, Xavier Valdéz?"

Within a heartbeat, I said yes. 

❇❇❇

𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓮

9:00 pm

I had my back leaned against the storage bench by my bed. A couple of my journals were sprawled on the floor around me and I had a glass of red wine in one hand. 

Tonight was one of those nights. 

Nights where I go through my journals. 

I miss writing.

I don't even know why I do this to myself.

It just makes me feel depressed.

And guilty. 

Because it reminds me that I haven't talked to William in a long while. 

It made me realise that he hasn't crossed my mind this past week.

I've been distracted and selfishly, a part of me was glad. 

Glad to drift my mind elsewhere from this sorrow.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of a pebble hitting my balcony window. My head turned to look outside and found nothing. Another pebble was then thrown. My eyebrows furrowed. I pushed myself off the floor and made my way towards my balcony glass doors. Another pebble was thrown. I unlocked the doors and pushed them wide open.

I leaned over the bannister and squinted my eyes as I attempted to make out the shadowed figure that stood at the bottom of my balcony.

"Princess."

A smile grew on my lips.

Charles. 

Even in the dark, I could see the faint glow of his hazel eyes under the moon. 

None of us spoke. He stood there looking like a prince, gazing up at me while I looked down at him with the widest of smiles resting on my face.  

"Care for a night stroll?", he asked, loud enough for me to hear.

It's not even physically possible for my smile to grow, but it did.

"Shall I use the stairs or jump?", I returned with an eyebrow quirked upwards.

"I'll catch you", he said and in the darkness, I knew his eyes were aligned with mine.

I didn't even need to make certain he would. 

I was already assured.

The next thing I knew, I'd slid onto the bannister with my legs dangling over the grass below.

A single breath. That's all I took.

Before I jumped

and fell right into his arms.

I realised then. 

I didn't even count to three.

I willingly let myself fall.

However, the romantic gesture got a little unsteady.

Charles lost his balance and we both came falling to the ground, laughing. 

We were still laughing as he hugged me in his arms and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"That . . . didn't go as planned", Charles chuckled and his silent laugh vibrated against my chest, "Apologies, love."

 "No need to apologise", I laughed faintly in return and leaned back so our eyes met. "I like the catch as much as I liked the fall."

Charles smiled softly and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Thank the stars for that", he said and glanced somewhere over my head, "They're above you."

There was a crease on my forehead before peering upwards, at the stars. So so many stars. A gasp left my mouth at the beauty of it all. I released another gasp when I felt the soft caress of Charles's silky lips on my neck. 

Tenderly, he pressed his mouth onto my pulse.

I think my pulse stopped. 

When I looked down, there was this gleam in his eyes that I'd never seen before. His eyes were glowing, shining and brighter than ever before under the light of the stars. On impulse, I lowered my mouth onto his and kissed him softly. 

He cupped my face in his hand and traced the apple of my cheek. We both smiled at once and he leaned upwards to touch our foreheads together, pushing us both into a sitting position. I've never seen Charles smile this much. It was both beautiful and terrifying. 

It felt like I'd unlocked a part of his heart. 

Abruptly, I shuffled off him and reached out a hand. "Shall we stroll?"

His smile grew sideways and indeed . . . .  he became the most devilishly handsome prince to ever come rescue me. 

.    .   .   .   .   .   .    .

We walked hand in hand through the garden. 

"Why re-enact the Romeo and Juliet classic instead of showing up at my doorstep, Charles?", I asked with a sly grin. 

He chuckled. "My poor attempt of being romantic", he said and shook his head in disappointment.

"It wasn't poor. It was better. More memorable for sure", I nudged him with my side and he smiled down at me. 

We walked a little more in silence.

I've never had a night stroll in a garden with anyone but myself. 

I decided that I like having the company. 

I like the feeling of Charles's hand holding mine. 

"I truly appreciate it though, Charles", I suddenly said and his steps slowed to match my own, "Some classics are meant to be brought back into the new world."

I could feel Charles's eyes on me as I stared at our intertwined hands. 

He kissed the top of my head. "Which is why there's you, my darling." My eyebrows furrowed and I looked up at him in confusion. He slyly smiled and said, "You're a classic love. One of a kind."

That . . . . could've possibly been the most romantic thing I've ever heard.

My teeth were in full view as I couldn't hide how touched I was by his statement. Can I even smile this widely?

"Also . . . . .", he began to say and plucked a single white rose off a bush as we strolled past, "I happen to be an old-fashioned", he said and handed me the rose with a glistening look in his eyes. 

"Well -", I took the rose in my hand and smiled up at him, "I've always liked an old-fashioned."

He grinned back in return. "I've always liked a classic."

That made me smile more.

Charles lead me towards a stone bench and gestured for me to take a seat, so I did. He followed and sat beside me, his knee brushing mine. A small contact but it made me smile nonetheless. From the corner of my eye, I caught Charles smiling as well. I turned to find him staring at the white rose I held between my fingers. 

"Do you know the meaning of a white rose?", he asked.

I shook my head. 

His smile faltered and I hated myself for it. 

What is the meaning of a single white rose?

"It means many things", he said. Slowly, he raised his eyes to meet mine and oh god . . . . they were so soft, I nearly believed Charles was close to tears. He looked .  . . . vulnerable. "Hope . . respect", he listed and lastly whispered, "Love."

I gulped.

Is this a sign? That Charles . . . loves me?

The look in his eyes was definitely telling something and . . . .  I think I was about to go into shock. 

Oh

My 

God.

"Mum told me a story once", he said while never looking away from my eyes, "Of how dad used to give her white roses every day. They were around our age -", he smiled softly, "And madly in love."

I also couldn't help but smile. 

Charlotte and Oscar were young lovers. 

They remain to be because I could never forget the way they looked at each other that night. Pure and happily in love with one another. 

"Does he still give her one?", I asked.

Charles was silent for a beat before he started to smile, mostly to himself as he replied, "Not as often. But . . . yes. He still does. Every chance he gets."

My heart melted. 

"I love what they have", I found myself saying and regretted doing so aloud. Hopefully, Charles didn't hear me but I'm sure he did because he glanced at me and chuckled softly. His gaze moved to the grass. He was grinning widely.

"So do I."

"Do you . . . wish to have the same?"

Oh god, stop talking. 

He was still grinning when he turned to look at me, who was staring right at him. A pause. He looked directly into my eyes as he replied, "If possible."

Hell, this eye contact is intense.

"I used to give a lot", he suddenly said and I looked at him questioningly with a tilt of my head, "White roses."

To who?

"To my grandma", he continued and glanced ahead, anywhere but me. 

That . . . . hit me somewhere in the heart.

He used to give white roses to his grandmother?

"That's . . . .beautiful of you, Charles", I breathed, amazed. 

He shook his head lightly. "I just wanted her to know."

"Know what?"

He looked over with a far away look on his face. Only when our eyes aligned, did he firmly answer, "How much I deeply respect and love her."

Then that was it. 

The click in my head.

The beating sound of my heart inside of my chest. 

The realisation I'm holding a white rose in my hand.

Charles . . . had a  form of respect for me. 

He . . . . loved me?

I had no idea what look was shown on my face, but Charles could only grin before standing up to his feet. My eyes followed him warily as he paced around the grass until suddenly he froze. He turned to look me strongly in the eyes.

"I need to ask you something", he said.

Hesitantly, I nodded.

His shoulders raised as he inhaled a short breath before releasing hit and shoving his hands in his coat pockets. "I should've asked you sooner, Kristine. I'm sorry", he said and nervously looked down at his feet. 

I was also nervous.

Even more so when he got down on one knee.

Oh, fucking hell. 

I'm a teenage girl sitting on a stone bench in a royal garden with a white rose in her hand and her boyfriend was on one knee right in front of her. 

Where has my life led?

Charles carefully raised his eyes and in them, I saw a shy little boy. It made me want to smile but I held myself back because I was too anxious about what was to come next.

But what came next, took me by surprise because I never expected for him to ask . . . . 

"Will you be my date to the Royal ball?"

I released the breath I didn't realise I was holding.

Then . . . . . 

I laughed.

Oh my god.

There was no holding back. I just laughed like nobody was listening. 

"Wow, Charles", I gasped between laughs, "That's what you wanted to ask me?", I asked while smiling widely until it reached my eyes. 

He smiled timidly and laughed. But it was one of those flustered laughs, and I found it adorable. His cheeks were flushed and it made him look all the more appealing in the dark. 

"Yes", he said and brought a hand to the back of his head, "I mean . . . I'm just asking for a dance really. The others would want to as well I'm sure. I just wanted to ask . . .  to be  . . . .", he cleared his throat and I smiled to myself, "Traditional. You know, since it's a ball."

I've never seen Charles nervous.

I find it cute.

I nodded in understanding while smiling like a bloody idiot. "I appreciate the getting down on one knee though. And for being traditional."

Charles laughed softly and finally met my eyes with a wicked look on his face that made me go weak. 

He's insanely handsome with that side swoop hair, black coat that cascaded to the ground, perfectly carved face and dark hazel eyes. 

He pictured the dark prince of every girl's dreams.

"Will you?", he asked softly while gazing at me in a way that touched my soul.

I smiled.

Like really smiled.

A smile which told me in this one moment, I can be happy.

I can be happy endlessly.

"Yes."

My night was blessed, with the brightest smile, Charles Harrison could ever give me. 

I was already running.

The next thing I knew, Charles has swept me off my feet and spun me around in the air. 

I'll never let go of this smile.

This night.

Tonight, I'd like to believe,

I was a princess who went out on a night stroll with her prince charming. 

He called me a classic and told me I was one of a kind.

He gave me a white rose and told me a story. 

He got down on one knee and asked me to a Royal Ball.

I said yes.

Then, there we were.

Romeo and his Juliette. 

𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝓛𝔂𝓻𝓲𝓬𝓼

𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨, 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐥𝐞𝐟𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐮𝐧

𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬.

- Love Story, Taylor Swift

𝓐𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓻'𝓼 𝓜𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓰𝓮

Hi, my lovelies! I apologise, again, very much for my absence. I'm officially done with my exams and am on summer break!! Hopefully, I'll be able to update more. Thank you my readers for having so much patience. I love you all with my whole heart. It's all of you that motivate me to keep on writing. LETHAl wouldn't mean as much without you. 

We've reached chapter 57 :)

The countdown has started. Who's looking forward to the Royal Ball?

I've put my heart and soul into writing LETHAL. I'll give my all for the chapters to come and hope all of you will love it. The story is escalating and even I myself, am excited for what's to come next. I myself, as the author, have no idea what to expect.

 All I know is that, we're still very much at the beginning.

I wish all of you endless nights and days of happiness.

Love you, lovelies.

I'll see you in the next chapter.

Till then, take care and stay safe.

xoxoxo

Love, KS♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.9K 1.6K 38
Mikael Volkov was certain he knew what his type was in guys. But after transferring to a new high school and getting on that first bus, he was blown...
12.8K 1.2K 35
Welcome to The New Classic, where the past and the present merge, to form a new future. Once that no one can see coming... Join Angelo, Vanessa and...
583K 11.9K 29
You know those fairy tales, where the prince sweeps the princess off her feet? Where he saves the world, at the end of the day? Well.... She's rich...
8.4K 366 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...