๐๐ฎ๐ฆ๐›๐ฅ๐ž๐›๐ž๐ž โœ”๏ธ

By MissRosieeeee

| 18+ | A stubborn lady and her irresistible Viscount. ๐„๐ฆ๐ฆ๐š ๐‡๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐จ๐ง - She and her family mo... More

Character Aesthetics
Backstory
Chapter 2 - Lady Danbury's Ball
Chapter 3 - A Moment In The Garden
Chapter 4 - Promenade
Chapter 5 - Confession
Chapter 6 - The Modiste
Chapter 7 - Mending Relationships
Chapter 8 - The Bridgerton Ball
Chapter 9 - A Dip In The Lake
Chapter 10 - Revenge Tastes Bitter
Chapter 11 - Coming to your rescue
Chapter 12 - Love is Medicine
Chapter 13 - Once a Rake always a Rake
Chapter 14 - A Sisters Bond
Chapter 15 - Traitor
Chapter 16 - The Featherington Ball
Chapter 17 - Promises Shall be Kept
Chapter 18 - Wedding Plans
Chapter 19 - Under The Sheets
Chapter 20 - Epilogue

Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

10.6K 143 8
By MissRosieeeee

Days before the return:

—————- Lady Whistledown's ——————
Society papers

Dearest readers,

The new season has begun and one lady must catch the wicked eye of our precious Queen. Will she pick the right debutante to test out the first waters?

Let us all hope for her sake.

It seems I have a rather exciting announcement. The return of old residents will make a winsome appearance in merely a couple of days, leaving behind what your author heard to be a tragic death. However, the Harrington's will need the warmest of welcomes or perhaps a marriage to save them from these unpleasing times.

Esteemed members of the ton, I insist you grab a chair for this season is to be the most chaotic of them all.

Yours truly, Lady Whistledown.

——————————————————————————-

A door opened to Emma's chamber. Light pierced through the white-pinkish room, practically burning her flesh. The curtains opened wider before a pair of feet walked over to her. An aggressive moan escaped her lips as she moved the silky pillow over her face to block out the sun.

"Miss Harrington, it's quite late for you to be sleeping." Her maid claimed while poking at Emma's forearm. Emma flipped over to the other side of the bed and moved the pillow from her face. She sat up, blinking her eyes for a moment. After a few minutes, she could make out the shape of a woman. The clear vision didn't last for long since the brightness was too much to bear, causing her eyes to keep shutting. She grunted before putting a hand over her eyebrows to move the beam of light from her sight.

"Mrs. Beth, I apologize for my laziness today, but please give me a moment to wake up for the sun is blinding me!" Emma grumbled. Beth paused before fixing the bed and processed the attitude that was thrown at her.

"The only thing you will need to apologize for is the tone you are giving me. I ought to slap the freckles off your face." Beth scolded, ripping the sheets off of Emma and folding them.

Emma threw a hand over her mouth and gave a loud gasp.

"Mrs. Lynn, has anyone told you how scary you are? Truly my bones are trembling." Emma jeered, letting out a snort from laughing too hard.

"Haha, very funny my dear. Now get up so I can make your bed. I shall give you word that you have a ball to attend to today." Beth instructed while laying out a gown and accessories on the silver vanity.

"A BALL?" Emma shouted as she was stunned to receive such news. She moved to the edge of the mattress and glanced at the dress.

"Yes, Miss Harrington. Also, you are to accompany your sister to see the Queen today. She's a new debutante of the season, she shall make a beautiful diamond." Beth continued ranting about the plans of the day.

"Mrs. Beth? Did I hear that right?" Emma sat there in dismay. The blonde maid sighed with frustration.

"If I thought you were a baby still, I would define the words." Beth joked. Emma hopped off the bed and ran to the layout of the outfit. The room spun from getting up to fast, making her dizzy.

She stared at the dresses possessing qualities. The way it shimmered from the diffused lighting made a sugary feeling inside her heart. It was absolutely gorgeous and too perfect to be seen on such a petite frame like hers. She ran her hand across the soft fabric, everything about it screamed a new start for the social season. She couldn't take her eyes off the detailed designs until the sound of rhythmic clicking from footsteps approached the doorway. Emma turned in that direction and saw her mother walk in.

"Dearest, do you fancy the gown I bought you?" Lady Harrington asked. Emma ran up to the flushed woman and hugged her tightly.

"Do I fancy it, mama? I love it!" Emma yelled with excitement. A smile of joy and satisfaction lit up her face.

"Your happiness is what matters most dear, but we have company downstairs. Make haste, I can not make a bad impression on the first day back." Judith replied as she walked out and closed the door.

Emma nodded then turned her attention back to the gown. The expression she gave wasn't enough to describe how happy she felt. A million musings roamed through her mind, but one stood out. This was the year of a new beginning and the chance to hide the past for good.

≈≈≈

Emma ascended the staircase while holding onto her frock with her left hand and the railing with her right. She kept the last bit of composure left in her and walked down to the bottom. The beautiful grey dress hit the ground with every step she took, the bosom was beaded with upside-down triangles and jewels across. She could feel the material around her belly snuggle tightly as she moved. The measurements were right when she got the piece tailored, but it seemed she gained a couple of pounds since that day.

She could see her family waiting below as they exchanged smiles. She grinned back at them, excited as ever with the new outfit for the ball that night.

Suddenly, she came to a complete stop when she saw a crowd of familiar faces behind them, but not familiar enough for her to know the strangers. They were a rather large family that she only heard of from last season. At that moment she noticed a man amongst the group, staring at her. He was muscular with brown hair that complemented his white tannish skin. His eyes reminded her of the sweetest of chocolates. It was knowingly obvious that he was the most charming man in all of Mayfair. A slight cough pulled Emma away from her thoughts and noticed Luke at the last step.

"Shall we?" Luke asked while holding his arm out to her. The sheepish woman took one last step in front of her brother before speaking.

"We shall," Emma muttered. The Viscount made her ability to socialize crumble and caused the abandonment of confidence.

The families headed to the dining room where they would be eating and getting to officially meet one another. Emma followed trying to get to her chair but bumped into a tall figure that stood in the way. She looked up at him in his big brown eyes, no longer able to move or get a word out. The man's presence was enough to shut her up.

"My apologies, lady Harrington." Lord Bridgerton said, sounding cold as ice. Emma felt a rush of bitterness coursing through her blood as she peered at him.

"It's quite alright, my lord. Please take a seat next to me." The confidence she once lost came crawling back as she gave the same energy.

Two could play that game.

He nodded and turned around to the chair she so happily pointed to, but before he could take a seat another elder man sat. He coughed before speaking to the new guest.

"This is my seat. It seems my sister has forgotten, I excuse her mind of absence." Luke hissed as his eyes judged the man.

"Brother, it is rather rude of you to take a guest's seat, especially this guest." Emma's response reeked of disappointment, not towards Luke, but at the fact, that she couldn't sit next to him. Of course, she started to despise the man, but a morning of fun couldn't hurt, right?

"Ahm, don't worry lady Harrington. I will take a seat at the other end of the table." Lord Bridgerton was irritated and walked off to his destination.

Emma heard the annoyance in his voice and it somewhat brought her pleasure. Even if she disagreed with the feeling, a part of her got butterflies when he spoke. She wouldn't mind talking more just to hear words fall off his tongue. Instead, she did the opposite and nodded at him. She joined the others and took her seat, waiting for the food to be served.

"Since no one is addressing who they are, I will go first." A woman from the table said.

"I'm Daphne, I hope we become the greatest of friends!" Daphne greeted, sending a smile to Emma.

"What a lovely name that is, lady Bridgerton. I hope the same." Emma assured her as she grinned back. Daphne took a sip of red wine and then quickly gulped to get another sentence out.

"Oh please, there is no need for such titles. We will all become very close." Daphne is avowed. Emma shook off the patrolling eyes coming from the end of the table and focused on the carefree spirit across from her.

"Well Daphne, it's a pleasure to meet you," Emma said before digging into the food on her plate. Daphne replied with a "likewise" and also started to eat breakfast.

After everyone introduced another, multiple conversations began to emerge around the table. She liked all of them, their humor was quite the show. The mother of the family, Violet, started to talk about her eldest son, causing Emma to glance in his direction.

"This is my son, Anthony." Violet introduced. The eldest Bridgerton didn't engage much in any of the discussions yet and seemed off somewhere else in that mysterious head of his.

"Mother I can speak for myself. I apologize for my lack of conversation. It is a rough day." Anthony claimed before looking down at his meal again. It was the barest introduction, but it was an introduction nonetheless.

Emma gazed at him, her body unable to move from the position she was in. She wanted to comfort him in her arms so badly. She couldn't help, but feel guilty about his state. She decided to break contact by talking to the sisters once more.

Eloise was definitely a choice of character, that was for sure. She had a mindset like Emma's, where they had a hatred for society's standards towards women. The brother's Colin and Benedict were hilarious but sweet. Daphne was as lighthearted as a puppy and courageously brave. She was on the subject of her husband, Simon Basset, and her child back home when a voice spoke to Emma's right.

"Why are you here then, if you do not mind me asking?" Jenny asked out of curiosity. Judith gasped, startled at the youngest question, and hit her arm.

"No it's quite alright, I am here to help my brother find a wife." She informed as she gestured to Anthony. He looked embarrassed at the sudden announcement to everyone in the room. He ignored it and continued to eat instead of speaking a word to anyone.

"Brother, it's impolite to not talk when meeting new people," Colin stated as he rolled his eyes and excused the man for his bad manners. Anthony was irritated again by the nagging coming from his siblings. He placed his fork down and cleared the back of his throat.

"Colin it's impolite to stuff your face in front of newcomers, but here we are." Anthony took pride in his comeback. Colin correct him on the Harrington's being new and implied how they had been here long and would have known if he wasn't in his bubble all the time.

"You are the one to talk. Remember the luncheon a few days ago?" Benedict laughed to remove the tension from the room. Anthony looked down, speechless at what Benedict said. He swore not to talk about it after the accident, yet here he was being bullied by his younger brothers.

"That expression looks great on you brother." Colin chuckled before taking a big bite of a buttered biscuit.

They all laughed at the harsh statements being thrown. The fun came to an end as everyone finished up, Emma's mother escorted the Bridgertons back to the foyer. It was time for both of the families to leave for Jenny's and Eloise's debutantes and could not afford to be late. The two families hugged and shook hands as they said their last goodbyes before heading out the front door.

≈≈≈

The Harrington's arrived shortly after the Bridgertons and exchanged good luck with one another as everyone got in their positions. It was Jenny's turn to walk through the double doors and Emma could tell she was nervous. Well, of course, being judged by a Queen and all. She was relieved her debutante was with Daphne last season. She knew she wasn't going to be picked compared to Daphne's beauty and felt rather thankful. She couldn't deal with all the attention she would get from the ton and having to be perfect for the Lady Whistledown, that fate sounded awful to end up with. No one noticed her last season due to this, perhaps that's why she never formally met the Bridgertons.

"I am such a wreck sister." Jenny began to panic. Emma turned to her sister and squeezed her arms tightly for reassurance.

"No you are not, you will be the perfect fit for the role, and if she can not see that then to hell with her," Emma added as the doors opened and the butler next to the Queen spoke loudly for the crowd to hear.

"Miss Jenny Harrington, escorted by her mother, Lady Harrington!" The man called out the announcement.

Jenny ambled (walk easily) with confidence, her dress hugged her curves and the feather in her hair flowed as she walked. She looked at the Queen with no emotion. As she got to the end she curtsied, bowing her head and staying put until the Queen spoke up.

"Perfect, my dear." The Queen noted. She got up from her throne and stepped over to the, now panicking, young lady. She kissed the top of her forehead and then walked back to her seat.

The two turned around and sauntered (slow walk) to the double doors. When the entrance closed Jenny felt like her lungs were failing after such a remark from the Queen.

"DID SHE JUST-!" Jenny babbled. She took a long deep breath and exhaled before uttering another word.

Members of the ton started to peek over at them to see the commotion, Emma walked up to her sister and hugged her tightly not letting go.

"You did fantastic, Jen. It was precisely what I predicted." Emma mentioned. She left her grasp and backed away to give the girl some space.

"You walked with pride dearest, I could not be more proud." Lady Harrington replied. Their mother had a hard time showing love after the passing of her husband, but that didn't mean she couldn't try for the sake of her children.

The ladies watched as Eloise was up next and stumbled onto the carpet. She staggered halfway down the altar before the Queen was interrupted by a sheet, that was brought to her in a tray. She read it quickly and then looked up at the quests. She announced the ceremony was over and for everybody to leave. Eloise laughed with relief and rushed back out the double doors, pushing her mother out of the way in the process.

The ton was shocked but took their leave as they were commanded. Jenny placed a hand on her mother's left arm and Emma took the right. The three started to walk in the direction of the carriage.

"I-I..am scared for what is to happen next, mama." Jenny stuttered. The thought of being the diamond was a big responsibility to take on and a lot to handle for such a small being.

"She will pick you, no need to worry yourself." Lady Harrington reassured, squeezing Jenny's hand.

"She would have to be..how do I say this? Not fully there if she did not pick you, sister." Emma giggled, causing the other girls to giggle as well.

"Mama, do you know what that powder stuff is that the Queen shoots up her nose?" Jenny questioned. Emma and her mother exchanged glances as they both felt shocked and completely clueless about what to say next.

"Jenny, you saw her do that?" Lady Harrington spoke awkwardly at having to explain such topics. Jen nodded and describe what happened before they left the room.

"Let's just say it's something to make her feel better about herself." Emma laughed.

Lady Harrington and Jenny chuckled at Emma's joke as they got to the carriage. The ladies headed home to get ready for a night to remember. It was not determined who would be picked, but a woman who rises can always crash and burn within seconds.

≈≈≈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...
232K 7.5K 41
หšโ‚Šยท อŸอŸอžอžโžณโฅ STARRY EYES โ•ญโ”ˆโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ เณ„เพ€เฟ หŠหŽ- โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค โ [ You were there when I needed someone ] โž หš เผ˜โ™ก โ‹†๏ฝกหš ๊•ฅIn which...falling in love is...
58.8K 3.2K 12
๐ˆ ๐ ๐š๐ณ๐ž ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐จ๐ง ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐จ๐ง ๐ฆ๐ž, ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฐ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž๐ฅ ๐ข๐ง๐ฌ๐ข๐๐ž ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐œ๐ก๐จ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐ข...
9.4K 301 12
"My heart ached for her when she wasn't near, but it skipped a beat when I saw her." It is Elizabeth Johnston's second debutante, she finds it press...