Skipping Stones (Yukino x M!r...

By deGen3r4te

Relationships. They are essential in everyone's lives, including yours. But what is love? What is friendship... More

Character Stuff
Chapter 1: Where The Sun is Shining
Chapter 2: Perfecto
Chapter 3: Wake up, sleepy head
Chapter 4: And I forgot to knock...
Chapter 5: Say please
Chapter 6: Are you done?
Chapter 7: Sweet Dreams
Chapter 7.5: WacDonald's™
Chapter 8: Treat me like your Girlfriend
Chapter 9: Summer Vacation
Side Story: No Sleep
Side Story: You Embarrassed?
Side Story: Fireworks
Chapter 9: Summer Vacation Part 2
Chapter 9: Summer Vacation Part 3
Chapter 10: Familiar Dream Part 1
Chapter 11: Candy Apple
Fluff fluff 10k fluff fluffy
Chapter 12: The Passenger
Side Story: Calling in Sick
Chapter 13: Personal Growth...?
Chapter 14: Young Love
Side Story: Warm Hands
Chapter 15: Relying on You
Special 20k: Carnal Feelings
Chapter 16: Spur of Emotions
Side Story: Clair de Lune
Chapter 17: Another Damn Festival
END OF SEASON 1
S2 Chapter 1: Coincidence
S2 Chapter 2: Squarebucks™
S2 Chapter 3: Losing What You Love
S2 Chapter 4: Chocolate Date
Christmas/New Years Special 2022
40k Special | Hiratsuka-san's Ashtray
S2 Chapter 5: Dishes
S2 Chapter 6: Opposite Ways
S2 Chapter 7: Hand Holding Haruno
S2 Chapter 8: Selfish
60k Reads SPECIAL | Iroha
S2 Chapter 9: Dating Disaster

Chapter 10: Familiar Dream Part 2

1.4K 70 19
By deGen3r4te

N/N = Nickname  

M/N = Mom's name 

I know that L/N is not my actual last name. It was changed, legally of course. I had DL/N when I was a child, however the memories of why my last name changed is still really muffled inside my head. Trying to remember what happened has been on my mind for a few years, not that my memory has been any good to me, but I know it had to do something with my dad. He did something, and the more I think about it, the less I seemed to remember. I suppose I was just too young, but that isn't a good reason for forgetting something that trivial. 

Here I was again, a couple days later, still thinking about that dream that seemed to never be leaving my mind. I had no one to tell this to, either. I haven't seen Yukino ever since our last meet together... And speaking of our last meet together,

Flashback...

We had driven back from the summer camp from where all the children were. All of us exited Hiratsuka-sensei's van and were starting to part ways.  

Hachiman: "Komachi, let's stop by the store on our way back." 

Komachi: "Aye aye, sir!" She said, only really wanting to go for some snacks. "Yukino-san, why don't you come with us?" 

Yukino turned around to Komachi, but she couldn't help but notice a familiar car sitting on the side of the road. Eventually, the back door of the car opened and none other than Haruno revealed herself. (Haruno is Yukino's older sister for the ones that forgor) 

Haruno: "Hi there, Yukino-chan!" She began to walk over to where Yukino was. 

Yukino: "Nee-san..." 

Haruno: "Yukino-chan, you haven't been home in ages! I got so worried that I came here to pick you up!" She couldn't be more fake, huh? 

Haruno: "Oh? If it isn't Y/N-kun. You two go on a date yet?~ I'll bet you did, lucky little guy!~" She began nudging me with her shoulder, making witty comments and assumptions. At the moment, it was more annoying than anything else.   

Yui: "U-Um... Y/N doesn't like that!" She grabbed me by my arm and pulled me away from Haruno. 

Y/N: "Yuigahama-san...!" She held onto my arm, and had suddenly gotten really defensive over me. She had a small blush plastered on her face as well, for some peculiar reason. 

Haruno looked at Yuigahama with judging eyes, and she asked Yuigahama with a condescending voice, 

Haruno: "Are you... Y/N-kun's girlfriend?" 

Yui: "N-No! I'm Yuigahama Yui and I'm just his... classmate..." She finished that sentence with a sad tone. Did she despise being just classmates? She could've just said we're friends, I don't think it was that big of a deal.

Haruno: "Just in his class?"

Yui: "Y-Yes!" 

Haruno: "Oh, thank goodness! I thought you may have been getting in Yukino-chan's way!~ Don't lay a finger on Y/N-kun, kay? He's Yukino-chan's!" 

Y/N & Yukino: "We're not!" 

Haruno: "See? They're in sync!" She was getting kind of annoying at this point. It seems that someone else shared this feeling too. 

Sensei: "Haruno, cut it out." Haruno side-stepped to get in Hiratsuka-sensei's view. 

Haruno: "Long time no see, Shizuka-chan!" 

Sensei: "Could you quit calling me that?" 

Hachiman: "Sensei, you know her?" 

Sensei: "She's a former student of mine." 

So Haruno used to come to my school? I never would have imagined both the Yukinoshita's would come here.

Haruno: "Okay, Yukino-chan. Time to go. Mom's waiting for you." 

Yukino: "..." She didn't say anything, but her face spoke for her. She was a little bit more serious looking than I had hoped she would have been. She didn't seem to like her mom too much.

She took a quiet sigh, and responded to Komachi's earlier request to go to the store with them.

Yukino: "Thank you for the invitation, but I am very sorry. I cannot go with you."

Komachi: "Eh? O-Oh, okay..." 

Yukino had a monotonous voice as she spoke. 

Yukino: "Goodbye..." She said, slowly walking her way to her car. 

She entered the back door as someone held the door open for her, and Haruno peaked her head out of the other side. 

Haruno: "Okay then, Y/N-kun! Bye-bye!" 

The car quickly took off after Haruno placed herself back inside the vehicle. I tried to glance into the window where Yukino had entered, but the tint was too dark. Just like before.

...Huh? Just like before... what? What am I talking about? The tint of a glass being too dark... I think I'm going crazy. 

When I came into focus of what was happening, everyone had already left. However Yuigahama-san was still there, waving her hand in front of my face to get my attention. 

Yui: "Ne, N/N, you okay?" 

Y/N: "Y-Yeah I'm fine, why?" 

Yui: "A-Ah, okay then... if that's the case then I hope to see you another time. See you!" She slightly blushed as she began running off. I waved goodbye to her, and began to walk my way back home as well. I turned around to find that Hiratsuka-sensei was standing with her arms crossed, staring right at me.

Y/N: "What happened? Is there a bug on me?" 

Sensei: "Apparently there is. What happened to you?" 

Y/N: "I'm not sure, but I'm sure I'm alright. I was just thinking about something." 

Sensei: "Want to share what it was about? You didn't even respond when Komachi and the others said goodbye." 

I would share what it was about if I knew myself. I have no idea what I was thinking about, however that car looked awfully familiar. It all confused me too much, so I decided to just forget about it...

End of flashback...

Until a couple nights ago of course. When I had that dream. I still haven't managed to make it escape my thoughts. I pretended like I had no idea what the dream was, but in all honesty I remembered a good portion of that dream. So, here I am now, trying to make a conclusion to all of this mess. I can feel myself getting closer to the answer, I'm just missing a few puzzle pieces. 

That's what I thought, at least, as I rolled over in my bed to pick up my phone and look at the time. I was restless, this entire situation had me awake at 11 at night. Albeit that isn't very late, however, it is when you are trying to actually fall asleep for once. 

I unlocked my phone, and reluctantly pulled my way into my contacts and looked for a name of "Yukinoshita Yukino," and after finding it I attempted to text her out of curiosity of if she would reply. 

------------------------------------------------

Y/N-

Yukino, you awake? 
{sent at 11:34}

------------------------------------------------

Now we just have to wait-

BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP...

Wait a minute, she's calling me?! I leaned against the wall next to my bed, and nervously pressed answer on my phone, bringing it close to my head. 

Y/N: "U-Umm... Yukino?" 

Yukino: "...What is it?" 

It appears this wasn't comfortable for her either...

Y/N: "You didn't have to call me, y'know?" 

Yukino: "Ah- I'm sorry if that bothers you..." 

Y/N: "No, it's fine. I just... wasn't expecting it." 

Yukino: "My apologies..." 

"..." 

"..." 

Shit. This got awkward way to quickly. I need to find something to say. 

Yukino: "...W-Well, if there is a problem then umm... Just let me know, I guess... Good night-" 

Y/N: "Actually there is a little something I wanted to talk about...! A-And it has something to do about you as well." 

How do I even work this sentence out in the first place?? "hEy iM hAviNg thESe weiRd DReAms thAT mAy or mAy noT be ReLateD tO yoU!1!!1"

Yukino: "Oh, well... what is it?" 

Y/N: "Umm... So basically, like, you were umm... And my dad was all like... you know?" 

Yukino: "...PFFT-" 

I heard her giggling as she managed to squeeze out her voice,

Yukino: "*giggling* D-Do you need some help?" 

Y/N: "S-Shut up! I was just... umm... I-I don't know..." 

She started laughing again. I heard her shuffling around in her bed, as she also seemed to be trying to get comfortable in whatever position she was in. In the end, I never even ended up telling her what I was thinking about. She, surprisingly, started talking about something else. We ended up staying up til' around 1 am just chatting with each other. I had never talked with someone for that long, and enjoyed it as much. That was probably the best thing that has happened to me for the entirety of summer break... well, at least almost the best thing. 

After all of our talking, it appeared that our conversation(s) were starting to come to a standstill. I had a nice time with her, but due to my inactivity during these past few summer days I didn't really have anything to talk about. She started most of the conversations (thankfully). It was really a comforting experience. Of course, all good things must come to an end or whatever. I hadn't even noticed that it was 1 am until she said she was really tired. I looked at the time layered on the top of my screen, and realized that I should've been asleep a long time ago. 

Yukino: "*yawn~* Well, I'm going to head off to bed now. My eyes are going to have bags under them, y'know?" 

Y/N: "You're the one that kept talking..." 

Yukino: "You say that as if that isn't exactly what you wanted. Besides, you're the one that texted me first." 

Y/N: "Alright alright, I get it. I guess I'm pretty tired too so, I suppose I'll head to bed as well." 

"Alright well, It was nice talking with you, thank you for this..." 

"Mm, it was nice talking with you too, Yukino." 

"...I'm glad I got to speak with you, Y/N..." 

"Yeah... me too." 

She lightly giggled over the phone before I heard her getting her blankets to cover her. I could hear her lay down with a sort of comfort in her voice, a voice that is heard when you're happy or excited but too tired to really express it in emotion well. Of course, these emotions come out in how fast you speak, how loudly, and so forth. She had the phone laying right next to her face (how do I know? it's a little trick called "author is too lazy to switch POVs"). 

Yukino: "It was fun, Y/N... Goodnight, and please go to sleep. I don't want you to stay up too late like I know you usually do." 

Y/N: "Alright, then. Your wish shall be granted, I suppose. Have a good rest." I heard her slowly reach for her phone, before ending the call. 

I laid in my bed for a good minute or two, trying to not get myself too excited over our "little" talk. I replayed our entire conversation over and over in my head, and I enjoyed it now as if I was hearing it for the first time again. Unable to fall asleep, I continue to lay in bed, still not moving from my previous position. However her last request is not one I can simply decline. So I rolled over in my bed, cuddling my pillow as a means for comfort. I thought about our conversation until, eventually, I fell into slumber...

I peeked through my wooden door of my room. I opened it until I was able to exit the room without any disturbance or noise, not that it would be heard from the incessant screaming coming from downstairs. I walked down the hall to where the stairs started, and walked down a few steps. The sound of my mother is heard as she yells at the phone placed in her hand. A faint sound of a man is pushed through the phone's speaker, and it doesn't sound like he's too happy either. They continue to speak on matters of which I had no knowledge of. 

M/N: "What do you mean you couldn't have done anything!? Look what happened! Do you not feel any guilt within yourself!? Are you that arrogant!?" 

She continued to scream, as if the neighbors couldn't even hear us. However, I can't really blame her, it was probably something important if she's screaming. If it's something important then I have no right to say how the other person should feel. Besides I'm only a kid. 

M/N: "Fine, then! I don't care! We didn't need you anyway, I can help them on my own! You can cut off the money all you want." Cut off the money? The one my dad would send to my mom occasionally? I'd thought we needed that. 

I didn't bother to waste my time listening to them anymore, so I decided to head back to my room. I closed the door, and walked over to the middle of my room to lay down on the cold tiled floor that abused all my nerves in my back. However, the cooling surface was quite nice. My cat, Myst, was laying on the floor next to me. He was asleep, at least until I patted his little head. He meowed at me as if he was talking. I rubbed his forehead, and he responded by not doing anything, at all. He didn't pur, he didn't even care that I was petting him.

Is that what I should be doing? Should I even care about what is happening right now, or what will happen in the future? Should I keep trying to care about the consequences? I think I've given up. I think I will give up. I don't want to keep trying anymore. 

I give up. 

I awoke to find myself in bed. I remembered all the dreams I had before, and the one I had just had, and came to a sudden realization. My dad cared more about his own reputation to others, than his reputation as a father. He gave us to our mother, and he only ever gave her money to pay for our education, just because he knew that other people would think he would be a bad person if he didn't. He only wanted to grow his business, which led to that little girl's father being involved in it. She knew that this was going to happen. She even knew that her own dad worked for mine. 

All of this for himself, so he can enlarge his ego. What more does he need? Will he continue to throw away things that matter more than this wasteful money? No wonder I gave up. My own father disregarded his love for his children, even when he was someone that I looked up to the most. The one person that I looked up to is a selfish bastard, and at that time I had no reason to even try to be someone. Maybe I thought that if I couldn't be him, then what good am I to anyone else? I wish I had never looked up to him like that. If I hadn't then maybe I wouldn't have turned out the way I did. 

I rolled over to the other side of my bed, as the tears were soaking up the pillow on that side. I thought that I must've really been a waste, and at such a young age. I sat up in my bed and attempted to read the time that displayed on my phone, which read 4:27 am. I told Yukino I would go to sleep, I mustn't go against her wishes. I flopped back down onto my bed, and I realized something. Yukino never really seemed to have a good relationship with her family either. Haruno was always a nuisance to her, because Yukino could never be as good as her. Yukino wanted to be better as someone, to be better than her sister. I've heard a lot about Hachiman's family, and even Kawasaki's, but never that much of Yukino's. 

Y/N: "Ha... Hahahaha... I guess we aren't too different after all, Yukino." 

I closed my eyes and rested. Tomorrow would be a better day.

Morning arrives... 

The sun peeked through my blinds that I had forgotten to close. I turned around in my bed to get the sun out of my eye, but the white wall that lay there simply reflected the sun's glare. I reluctantly got up and closed the blinds. I ended up standing there without moving a muscle, due to the fact that I had barely gotten any sleep and I actually wanted to sleep for once. I suddenly remembered the talk I had with Yukino last night (and technically this morning). A slight grin plastered over my face as I recalled our conversation, and then I remembered the dreams I had and what kind of person my father really was. I flopped onto my bed and was trying to come to terms with it all, but something still confused me. 

I picked up my phone, went back to contacts, and selected Yukino's name. I was going to type something, but now I didn't know what to type. I still had no idea how Yukino was related to all of this, even though I knew she had some form of influence or role in it. With a sigh, I dropped my phone in defeat, and I went outside my room to see if anyone was awake yet. To my surprise I heard a familiar voice near the door. 

I peeked around the corner and found my sister talking to Yuigahama. However it seemed that I got caught, since Yuigahama saw me and called out to me. 

Yuigahama: "A-Ah... N/N. Umm, how did you sleep?" 

Y/N: "I slept alright, I suppose." God, why do I lie so much?

Yuigahama: "T-That's good! I was just talking with Mahou-chan here about something that I wanted to make sure was okay...with you..." 

My sister, Mahou, nudged me with her shoulder and raised her eyebrows repeatedly as she said, 

Mahou: "You caught a good fish, nii-san~" 

(The sisters are always attractive in animes and shit so here you go LMAO)

Y/N: "Shut up."I gave her a hit on the head and she promptly excused herself from the conversation as a small tear drop escaped her eye. She continued to wallow as she walked away.

Mahou: "*sniff* Why do you hit me every time? *sniff*"

Because it works every time...

Y/N: "*turns back to Yuigahama* Sorry about her, she can be a bit annoying..."

Yui: "D-Don't worry about it, she didn't cause me any trouble. Erm... so, about what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to ask you if you could do something... for me..." She held her hands in front of her as she spoke.

She seemed to be looking around and avoiding eye contact as well. What was she going to ask for? It might be something embarrassing, so I decided to wake myself a little bit more by mentally hitting myself.

Y/N: "If you need something, just ask. Do you want to come inside?"

Yui: "C-Can I?"

I moved to the side for her to enter.

Yui: "Well... Excuse me." She took off her shoes and entered until she made it to the living room. "Wow, you're place is a lot nicer than I expected."

Y/N: "That's mostly because my sister hangs out here a lot, she's a lot more organized than I am..."

As I said that, my sister puffed her chest out and smirked because I seemed to be praising her. She was sitting on the floor in the living room, watching tv, sitting on the floor with a small pillow which had cute decorations all over it. She may have been more organized, but she definitely was more of a weirdo than I was. She had all these weird fantasies and posters hung up on her walls about some band or group she was in love with or whatever.

Yui: "So... I wanted to ask you something which is kind of important, but I didn't know if you were going to be okay with it or not because it is kind of sudden..."

Y/N: "Alright, then. I should be able to handle it, whatever 'it' is."

Yui: "I-I know you can but I just wanted to make sure if it was okay... with you..."

She fiddled with her fingers for a little bit, before she eventually bowed down to me and put her hands together.

Yui: "Can you please take care of my dog for me?!"

Y/N: "Huh?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 260 30
《Completed》 Pairing: InooBu / TaDaiki / Other Pairs... Genre: Romance / Friendship / Super-nature / Family / Comedy... Summary: Having Someone Next t...
5.9K 281 26
In her second year of high school, Y/n had to switch schools for several reasons. Now, she finds herself as a student at Jujutsu High. Initially, fit...
42.4K 1.5K 25
Y/N Shiozaki is a transfer from America. Born to a Japanese mother and an American father, life home was quite average. Went to a public school and h...
9.3K 292 7
Now in his final year, Hikigaya wants to ask Yukinoshita out before their inevitable graduation. But when Miura shows up to say Hayama and Yukinoshit...