Ink Slinger

By Freya_38

My skin is her canvas... More

ONE (Iselen POV)
TWO (Iselen POV)
THREE (Iselen POV)
FOUR (Ruby POV)
FIVE (Iselen POV)
SIX (Ruby POV)
SEVEN (Iselen POV)
EIGHT (Iselen POV)
NINE (Iselen POV)
TEN (Ruby POV)
ELEVEN (Iselen POV)
TWELVE (Iselen POV)
THIRTEEN (Iselen POV)
FOURTEEN (Iselen POV)
FIFTEEN (Iselen POV)
SIXTEEN (Iselen POV)
SEVENTEEN (Ruby POV)
EIGHTEEN (Iselen POV)
NINETEEN (Iselen POV)
TWENTY (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-ONE (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-TWO (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-THREE (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-FOUR (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-FIVE (Ruby POV)
TWENTY-SIX (Ruby POV)
TWENTY-SEVEN (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-EIGHT (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-NINE (Iselen POV)
THIRTY (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-ONE (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-TWO (Iselen POV)
THIRTY-THREE (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-FOUR (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-FIVE (Iselen POV)
THIRTY-SIX (Iselen POV)

EPILOGUE (Iselen POV)

695 60 32
By Freya_38

"Ruby, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Savannah kneels down on a pillow and puts her arm over my girl's shoulder, worried, helping her to sit down while the pretty witch sobs and shakes her head.

"We sent the bitch to hell," I whisper while taking Morgan in my arms and getting up slowly, I feel slightly dizzy and sleepy and Elvira puts her hand on my waist to help me to keep my balance.

"We've felt it, we were there with you," Thyra confirms while staring at us bewildered. "You should be happy, why so serious? Why is she crying?" she asks pointing at Ruby.

"We released the kidnapped souls and Sarah sneaked in our dream to say goodbye along with your friends..." I answer quietly.

"To say goodbye..." Louisa repeats, confused.

"Yes, they're gone, I'm afraid. You know, to the other side... But they said they were okay and very grateful to all of you." Lester lowers his head and sighs, keeping his eyes fixed on the floor for a few seconds before nodding, but Louisa still looks confused.

"You've seen my neighbour? And she's gone... okay, I guess that's the normal thing to expect under these circumstances... but it's sad..."

"It's not fair!" Ruby cries angrily, getting up abruptly, startling us all so we look at her scared. This should be a time of joy and celebration, however, the energy filling this studio is mournful and gloomy and no one knows how to react, actually. Suddenly, Diana Siena starts crying and Katia gets closer pushing her stroller.

"Louisa, I think the baby is hungry... Ruby, sweetheart, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Mom!" My precious witch runs towards her mother and seeks refuge in her arms, sobbing, seeking comfort while Elvira and Savannah try to explain her what's going on and why Ruby is so upset. I sigh wearily and decide not to interfere, I think the artist needs to spend some time with the woman she trusts the most and who's always been there for her since she was a child... that's not me. I'm not offended, of course, Katia is her mother and, if she feels safe in her arms, that's logical. But I can't help feeling awkward because I've realized how deeply affected Ruby is since Sarah's gone... she must've loved her a lot.

"Kanti, can you help me?" I get closer to the healer who's watching us with her hip leaned on the counter while rubbing Lester's back up and down with her hand to comfort him about the death of his friend Tävibo. "The demonic bitch kicked Morgan's side and I think she hurt her. Can you heal animals like you do with people?"

"Yes, of course I can. Poor kitty, come here..." The pretty brunette takes the animal in her arms while humming a song and Lester stares at her mesmerized, smiling like a lovesick fool. Ivy gets closer too, worried, while holding Boudica in her arms.

"Did she really kick her? What a bitch!"

"Morgan scratched her and her leg was bleeding a lot," I admit smiling and my friend nods.

"Good girl, she deserves a big bag of treats..."

"Lester, what's that?" I ask pointing at the floor, perplexed.

"A bucket of water with ice," my brother answers shrugging. "It was the last resort in case things got ugly and we needed to wake you up immediately, I thought that a cold shower would force you to open your eyes... It worked before." He smiles, tilting his head to point at his girlfriend. "I carefully prepared it, you know. Small ice cubes so they didn't hurt you, they look like cute flowers... It's a shame that no one is going to use it..."

Suddenly, Lester bends down with an abrupt movement and takes the heavy bucket, lifting it over his head, and turns it. The ice water falls all over his body, flooding the floor and splashing around, Ivy cries and jumps back dodging the flowers made of ice that are slipping all over the hardwood floor while our brother snorts like a hippo. The entire coven stares at him in disbelief while Kanti laughs out loud.

"Yes, that would wake up a zombie, definitely... Fuck, it's cold!" He cries and Ruby bursts into laughing all of a sudden, standing behind me, her cheeks are still stained with tears but she's not hugging Katia desperately anymore.

"You're crazy, brother, but we love you like that," my girl laughs nonstop and, one by one, my sisters copy her, laughing while looking at Lester who's soaked from head to toe. "Goddess, I'm so tired and hungry."

"I knew it, I knew you were going to spend lot of energy today," Katia smiles and points at the couch. "Why don't you sit down with Iselen while I heat up the beef casserole? I also have roasted potatoes and homemade bread I baked this afternoon. Elvira and Kanti will help me and Lester, change your clothes and try to fix the back door that those stupid witches broke while your sisters dry this floor." I flop down on the couch without complaint because my legs feel weak, my girl follows me meekly not caring about her mother bossing her own coven around and the cats jump to our laps immediately.

"Are you all right, babe?" Ruby puts her arm over my shoulders and pulls me closer to her body.

"Yes, tired and hungry too... I'm sorry for your loss," I whisper and she frowns, confused. "It's pretty obvious you loved Sarah."

"Not as much as I love you," she answers immediately and my guts get relaxed after hearing her, I didn't even notice that I was tense. "She was a good girl, sweet and funny, and had her whole life ahead of her... I think this is what bothers me, you know. The lost opportunities... Sarah won't get married, won't have children, a successful professional career, parties with friends, good memories with her family, holidays on the beach... She was very special and had a lot of potential, she could've done wonderful things in this world. They took all those opportunities from her and it's not fair."

"I understand it. Tävibo and Miss Yangyang had lived long lives full of good memories but Sarah was too young. You're right, it's unfair... But this is the way Mother Nature works. Do you know that the universe is a sleeping lion?" Ruby shakes her head, puzzled. "My grandma always used to say that... The lion is sleeping and we all walk past him unharmed but one day he wakes up, stretches his limbs and you... Obviously, reckless people that tug at his whiskers while he's sleeping have a better chance of feeling the claws than those who walk on tiptoes, quietly and carefully... But if the lion wakes up suddenly... anyone can suffer the consequences."

"Sarah was walking past the lion when he woke up..." Ruby whispers and I nod.

"That's true, it can happen to anyone, at any time... and there's no logical explanation. When shit hits the fan, sometimes people ask why that's happening to them and my grandmother answered... Why not? It's just destiny... Like a lottery ticket, your number is printed there and you're a millionaire suddenly."

"Bad things can happen to good people and it's not my fault, is that what you mean?" my girl asks confused.

"Yes, and that's why you should live everyday trying to be happy, spending time with people you love, creating good memories, learning new and interesting things, going to the park and watching kids playing with dogs, eating an ice cream and kissing a pretty girl..." I whisper leaning forward to graze Ruby's lips with my mouth. "When the lion wakes up and takes a swipe at me, I will have lived intensely and won't regret a single experience..."

"Sounds like a good plan, babe. Thanks for the advice..."

"Food is ready!"

*****

Two months later...

"Food is ready!"

"Lester, did you really need to wear that ridiculous chef's tall hat?" I ask staring at him amused while getting closer carrying some plates. "And where did you find this apron saying 'King of the Grill'?"

"I bought it on Amazon because, if you do things, you better do them well, with the right equipment..." My brother answers pointing at me with the barbecue tongs before taking a freshly toasted bun. "What do you want? I have sausages, ribs, chicken wings, pulled pork, corn, lobster, beef brisket, burgers with cheese and bacon... and several salads made by Primrose's butler."

"Put a little bit of everything on these plates and I'll take them to the tables so the girls can pick out whatever they want," I answer smiling and Lester nods.

It's a beautiful day in New Orleans, not very hot, perfect to have lunch outside. Everybody has gathered in Angelie's garden, sitting at tables scattered around, enjoying the drinks Savannah and her grandma are handing to their guests. Jaru has travelled from Australia again and he's chatting happily with Azara and Bulgakov sitting in the shade of a tree, Kanti and Primrose have become good friends and laugh amused looking at Lester while he fills my plates, Katia has managed to persuade Yalitza to give her the recipe of her pecan pie and she's writing down the ingredients on another table. Elvira and Ivy are trying to stop Baguette that's jumping to get a piece of sausage while Morgan and Boudica stare at the crazy puppy lying on the veranda railing under the sun.

"It's a great party," Vinnia and Aletta come to help me with the plates and I nod, agreeing with them. This is a proper vacation, as it should be, relaxed and without concerns, enjoying delicious food and the company of good friends. The positive energy of so many witches, druids and healers is drifting all over the house and gardens and we're making new good memories in this place, as Annah told me once.

"Have you seen that?" Ruby whispers in my ear, getting closer to steal some fries from my plate and using one to point at Thyra and Savannah talking in a corner peacefully, without fighting. "I think they're doing pretty well... Our sisters and Lester have noticed the subtle change in the behaviour of these stubborn women too but they prefer to stay out of this and let them both decide what they're going to do in private, at least for now... If something interesting happens, we'll all know it in the end... perks of living in a coven."

"It's okay, we shouldn't put pressure on them... Louisa, do you want more salad with your chicken wings?" I ask while my sister casts a spell to keep mosquitoes away from Diana's stroller.

"Yes, please. And thank you for this pendant, where did you find it? I can feel it's really powerful..." Louisa points at the small charm made of gold and black jet that's hanging from the canopy.

"Oh, it's a traditional gift godmothers give to their godchildren in my home region. I found a spell to reinforce its protective power in one of the books my grandma gave me... I'm happy you like it."

"Talking about your grandmother... her spirit visited me yesterday," Mahsati moves her wheelchair closer to take a plate with beef and salad while I stare at her in shock. "She wanted me to tell you she's proud of you, she wants you to be happy with Ruby and that you should remember there's a small black box in the drawer of her nightstand in the family house... She told me you'd know what she was talking about."

"I understand..." I whisper blushing, keeping my eyes fixed on my burger while Louisa and my girl look at me closely, confused by the subtle change in the atmosphere. Damn it, it's true that no one can have privacy in this coven.

"Iselen, what's in the box?" Ruby asks with curiosity and I clear my throat, awkwardly.

"It's the ring my great-grandfather bought to propose to my great-grandmother. An amethyst surrounded by diamonds..."

"The gemstone of the spirit, protection and positive energy surrounded by diamonds that are the symbol of perfection, strong will and triumph... It must be a gorgeous piece of jewellery and a powerful charm," Ruby whispers amused when she notices my cheeks getting redder.

"I don't know what my grandma was thinking of..."

"I do know, it's pretty clear..." Ruby cuts me off laughing while Louisa and Mahsati pretend to be busy eating but they're smiling too. "I owe you some vacation time, you and me alone, do you remember? We could visit Spain, maybe, so I can meet your family and take a look at your house and garden... and maybe I can see the ring too... and even try it..."

"If that's what you want..." I answer shyly and my girl leans forward to kiss my lips gently.

"Of course I want it, Iselen, I can't wait..." Ruby winks at me and steals one more fry before turning to talk to our sister and the necromancer. My coven and friends keep chatting and laughing around us, Lester and Primrose's butler fill empty plates the moment the food vanishes and Angelie keeps bringing drinks nonstop.

I smile happily and extend my arm to grab the bottle of ketchup but my fingers turn numb suddenly and the bottle falls on the table, splashing red sauce all over my plate. I look up, scared, staring at the trees near the river where vegetation is thicker and shadows are darker. For a second, I felt like someone was watching us and my hunter has gone on full alert inside my head but I can't feel anything weird now: the sun shines, Diana is sound asleep, Baguette has stolen a sausage and Lester scolds her while Kanti laughs out loud. Everything is all right, supposedly.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Ruby asks worried and I shake my head, bewildered.

"I think I'm imagining things," I answer while keeping my eyes on the bushes. "My hunter was about freaking out because he thought someone evil was watching us... although the feeling has vanished immediately. I think I'm still anxious after all that's happened, you know." Ruby gets up looking at the trees and Angelie raises an eyebrow, surprised. My girl points at the bushes with her chin and the queen of voodoo turns around, staring at them for a few seconds before shaking her head, perplexed. "It's okay, babe, it was nothing probably..."

"Iselen..." my girl sighs, sitting down again and taking my hand. "Evil still exists in this world, Abrahel escaped from hell once and could do it again, or maybe there're other demons roaming freely and doing horrible things to good people. Everything is possible... But now we can find them and fight them thanks to your hunter. Your grandma was right: it's the perfect weapon." I watch the pretty witch, confused, before opening my eyes wide in shock.

"Do you think I've found my place in this world finally? I am where I'm supposed to be to fulfil the mission the Goddess gave me... Yes, it makes sense. Ruby... this is great: I'm a demon hunter instead of a witch hunter."

"Luckily for me..." The artist sighs relieved before kissing my hand. "We'll keep our eyes open, honey... But before, I need you to check the appointment book in the studio because I still need to find free time from my work to get your thigh tattoo done, I've also designed a small bird on a branch with flowers for your side. Would you like some colourful butterflies on your hip?"

"You can't stop, can you? Turning me into your showcase is your obsession," I reply shaking my head, amused but exasperated too.

"As you've said, baby, this is the mission the Goddess gave you in this world: you're a powerful druid and demon hunter, a member of my coven, Diana's godmother, a daughter-in-law who will cook delicious food with my mom, a sister and a good friend, my perfect canvas... and my true love, in this life and in the lives that will come after."

"Wow, I'm going to be very busy."

THE END

Yes, I've finished another story. Yes, I know it's sad and you'll miss my characters but I have other stories going on and new ones planned (and sequels). Yes, I left an open ending because I'll write a sequel for this one too, probably, but it won't be soon... Sorry. Bear with this mess of an author, please. Thank you for reading. Be happy, be proud and be safe because the world is nuts... Not even Nostradamus with depression would've predicted this debacle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.7K 4K 31
Light is easy to love. Show me your darkness.
64.6K 3K 22
How could I grow to love her? She took me from flowers to a kingdom of darkness...
148K 6.6K 40
In case of zombie apocalypse, I'm your kind of woman...