Reject ❀ c.h. [punk au]

By lovablenarry

❝I would have followed him to hell if he had asked me, and maybe I did.❞ copyright © 2014 / lovablenarry More

Blurb
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71

59

3.7K 115 65
By lovablenarry

It's been two weeks since Harry spilled about what happened the night they all met Calum.

And it's been two weeks with still no sign of him coming back anytime soon.

Or ever.

It's Monday morning and my first day back at school.

My mom insisted that I take just a few more days off but I'm already so behind, it'll take forever to catch me back up. Midterms are coming soon, so I have to start cramming.

Plus, I'd rather be here than trapped in the house with Harry, who since I've stopped communicating with as much, started bringing his girlfriend Kara over every day.

Don't get me wrong, she's sweet and I like her, but I'm tired of having to turn up the volume every two seconds to drown out the sound of their kissing.

Mr. Burton said that I could spend first period in the library catching up and studying since the class was going to be taking a quiz today.

I wasn't expecting to see Alaina in class, but I'm happy that I did.

It was nice to see her outside of a hospital room.

I lightly tapped the end of my pen against my bottom lip as I skimmed through the pages of my history book.

Part of me was trying to focus, but the other part of me didn't want to hold still.

I sighed to myself and glanced around the library.

A few students sat silently at the computers, clicking and typing away on their study guides and essays.

A couple girls sat at a round table near the romance section and whisper gossiped over a copy of P.S. I Love You.

The librarian sat at her large desk, stamping the inside covers of books and jotting things down on a yellow pad of paper as she hummed softly to herself.

I glanced down at the text book in front of me for a moment then put my pen down.

I know I should be studying, but I've been through some shit the past few weeks.

They can't expect me to just immediately dive right back into my work, can they?

Procrastination is becoming my new best friend.

I quietly push myself out from the table and stand to my feet.

I'm not completely against reading right now, just maybe something a little more interesting.

I make my way over to the sci-fi/fantasy section and start skimming through the shelves.

Lord of the Rings, The Time Traveler's Wife, Cloud Atlas, etc.

My eyes land on an old paperback copy of Frankenstein and I think why not.

As I pull the book from its place, something else pulls it backward.

I tug on it again and the opposite force gives in, letting me take it from the shelf.

I look through the new empty spot and lock eyes with a pair of familiar pale grey ones.

My breath catches in my throat.

"Oh, um, s-sorry." I mumble, lifting the book up to return it to the shelf.

"No, it's okay." Chase smiles slightly.
"I've read it twice already."

I return his smile for a second then snap back to reality.

Chase hates you remember? You humiliated him in front of everyone.

My conscious was right.

I'm an asshole.

"Thanks." I say, hurrying to turn around and retreat to my table.

"Wait, Shaine."

Chase joins me on my side of the bookcase and smiles once seeing me entirely.

He's changed in the past few months.

Not entirely, but here and there.

His hair has gotten a little longer, the tiny chocolate curls within his sideburns starting to frame his face.

The sprinkles of stubble across his chin and jawline tell me that he hasn't shaved in awhile, which doesn't mean that he's changed, but he looks a lot older.

I think he's gotten taller too.

My view goes right to his mid chest, whereas before I was up to his shoulders.

He's still so attractive.

"I heard about the accident." He says slowly. "How are you doing?"

I almost laugh out loud at his question, but I bite my tongue.

How am I?

Nobody has time for that sob story.

"I'm fine." I reply with a small smile trying to make it convincing.

"That's good."

We stand there awkwardly for a moment, both unsure of what to say before I finally can't take it anymore.

"I should probably get back to-"

"Oh, yeah." Chase says. "Get to that book, yeah."

"Yeah."

"It's a good one."

"I'll find out."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

We stand there for another quick second of painful awkwardness before I turn on my heel and head back over to my table.

I wondered why he even cared about what happened to me after I treated him the way I did.

I was a bitch to him and I don't deserve to have someone as sweet as him in my life.

My life is too crazy and messed up at the moment, I feel bad for the people that are already in it.

I don't wanna drag him down with me.

Chapter 1.

"I am by birth a Genevese; and my family is one of the most distinguished of that republic-"

My reading is cut off by the sound of books dropping onto my table, causing me to jump at the sudden noise.

I glance at the librarian, but she seems unbothered, still humming to herself.

"What are you doing?" I look at Chase as he sits down across from me.

"I found another copy." He explains, holding up a hardcover version of Frankenstein.

"No, I mean why are you over here?"

"Is this a Shaine only table?"

"Well, no, but-"

"Then I don't see a problem with it."

Chase grins at me before leaning back in his chair and opening his book.

I stare at him in disbelief.

Was I being punk'd again? 

"Chase."

"Yes?"

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"I'm a nice guy." He chuckles. "Why would I be rude?"

"I ditched you at Simon's party. In front of everyone. That's embarrassing, you should hate my guts."

"I did for awhile." He admits, closing his book and sitting up straight in his chair.
"But what's the point?"

"Okay, but why are you talking to me now? You don't hate me but you don't have to particularly like me either."

"I like you, Shaine."

I stay quiet.

"I have since the day I saw you in the cafeteria with that Irwin kid."

That Irwin kid.

A pang of guilt hits me at the memory of mine and Ashton's last conversation, and I feel like I'm gonna barf.

"I heard about what happened to you and I've been so worried."

"Why didn't you just ask someone how I was doing? You know all of my friends."

Chase shakes his head.

"I don't think they'd be too open about your business with someone like me. Especially with Calum Hood hawk eyeing over you."

A giant wave of pain suddenly swallows me entirely at the sound of his name.

I can feel the pieces of my heart quivering as I try with everything I have to not think about him.

Why did he have to say his name? Why?

I clear my throat and stare down at the cover of Frankenstein.

"You don't have to worry about him anymore."

"Did you guys break up?"

"It doesn't matter what happened, Chase."

"You're right." He says quickly. "I'm sorry."

I nod my head and pick my book back up, returning to my page.

"My ancestors had been for many years counsellors and syndics; and my father had filled several public situations with honour and reputation."

"Shaine."

I peek up at him and lift an eyebrow.

"I want to try again." He says. "I mean with us."

"Chase-"

"Please? Give me a chance to show you."

"Chase, everything's insane right now. My friend is still being hospitalized, my home is being invaded by snobby pricks, and I'm like a walking advertisement for depression."

I glance down at my book then back at him.

"It's just not a good time." I finish.

"I can handle that."

This time, I do laugh out loud.

"I'm a mess, Chase."

"My life is boring, I could use a little messy."

I stare at him for a moment before breaking a small smile.

"Come on, Shaine. What's the worst that can happen?"

A near fatal car accident then you disappearing.

I shrug my shoulders.

"I guess nothing."

Chase grins widely.

"Great."

"But I can't."

"Wait, what?"

I close my book and start quickly packing up my belongings.

"Where are you going?"

"Home." I reply. "I shouldn't have come today."

"I'll give you a ride home."

"I can walk."

I collect Frankenstein along with the rest of my things without bothering to check it out.

The last recorded checkout date is from the seventies, so I doubt they'd miss it too much.

I stand to my feet and head for the exit, Chase stands up quickly and follows after me.

"Shaine, come on, why do you keep pushing me away?"

"I told you already, Chase." I mumble, placing my hand on the door.

"I'm a mess."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.3K 2K 19
@Calum5sos started following you!
145K 4.7K 23
Calumhood subscribed to your channel... That's all it took... All rights reserved to calumhoodalmonds Copyright 2014
111K 7.3K 29
"Dear Calum," All Rights Reserved.© WriteDrunk 2014. Completed.
2.7K 42 43
“ don't leave me again, Calum. Please. Don't go. ”