Keeping It in the Family (Lin...

By BadassBurgess

Hank Voight having to retire early was something no one imagined would happen. The choice of his successor wa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Keeping 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150

Chapter 114

229 16 5
By BadassBurgess

It was moving day. Moving house was one of the most unpleasant and stressful experiences people could go through voluntarily, Jay thought. And today was living up to expectations, even though it was going to plan. Co-ordinating everything had been a nightmare, and constantly having to supervise was stressing him out big time. He was at the new house, with Kayla helping him. Erin and Clementine were back at the apartment, helping out that end, although Erin had strict instructions not to do any heavy lifting. Alvin Olinsky was driving his van back and forth, and doing lifting for them at both ends, along with Raquel Gonzalez, who had offered her services for the task. Jay had made a joke that he was doing her a favour by providing a free workout.

"Right, that's us done until the next load arrives," Jay said. He and Kayla had shifted the boxes and furniture that had come on the previous run into the rooms they needed to be in.

"Let's have a minute to rest," Kayla said, sitting down on a box in the hallway.

"Good idea," he replied, sitting next to her on another box.

"Jay, can I talk to you about something?"

Oh God, please don't tell me she's going to give notice that she's going to work elsewhere, he thought, feeling an awful sinking feeling in his stomach. In that moment he realised truly how vital Kayla was to keeping the Halstead family going. "Sure," he said, hiding his reluctance.

"So, you remember Kalinda, right?"

He looked at her and narrowed his eyes a bit. "Remember her? It was like three days ago when I met her."

"Right," Kayla giggled nervously. "Well, the thing is, I don't know how you're going to take this..."

"Just tell me, Kayla," Jay said, wondering where the heck this was heading.

"I kind of... I've got a massive crush on her. I hope you won't judge me for that."

He laughed. "Judge you for it? Of course I won't. Why would I care if you're into women or not? Raquel and Z are engaged. And you know Deonna who came over Monday night? She's dating a paramedic called Sylvie Brett. Women being with women isn't even something that seems worth noting to me. Besides, Kalinda's hot, and that accent..."

"Right?" Kayla gushed. "She's so beautiful I can't even... Let me stop myself. My point is, I have a huge crush on her. I know she's been with women before, although she was married to a guy until the start of last year."

"So ask her on a date," Jay said, his tone encouraging.

"But that's what I'm worried about. We might be friendzoned. Her friendship is super important to me too, so what if we dated, it didn't work out, and that wrecked the friendship?"

He grimaced. "Tough one, right? But if you never ask her on a date, you'll likely never be with her. Who knows, maybe she's crushing on you too and she's afraid to ask you out for the same reason? I think you should do it."

"I kind of had a different idea," Kayla said hesitantly.

Jay gave her a quizzical look. "Oh?"

"Would you be the middleman for me? Yeah, I know it sounds like some high school bullshit, but I just don't have the confidence to ask her myself."

Jay figured Kayla had gone above and beyond during the moving process, and besides she wasn't just a nanny to them now, she felt like part of the family in a way. Why wouldn't he agree to what she wanted?

"Okay, sure. I'll come out for a drink with the two of you one night and find a way to speak to her when you're ordering drinks or in the bathroom or something."

"Thanks, Jay. I really appreciate it. You probably think I'm an idiot, right?"

He laughed. "No. There's no right way to do love. Erin and I went five years without talking to each other for God's sake. If our history isn't a mess, whose is? But we're happy now. Maybe one day you and Kalinda will be too. But one thing? You're not allowed to quit on us."

"Quit?" Kayla exclaimed. "You must be joking. As far as I'm concerned I'll work with you guys and Clem as long as you'll have me."

"That means a lot," Jay said seriously.

At that moment they heard the van pull up outside. Alvin and Raquel had arrived with the next load, possibly the final one, Jay hoped. "Back to it then," he said to Kayla, getting up.

Walking outside, Jay saw that Raquel actually wasn't there. Instead, Clementine was getting out of the van. "Clem! What are you doing here?" he called out happily.

"We got everything from the apartment," she reported, coming up to him for a hug.

"Great job," he said as they embraced. "Is your mom okay?"

"Yes. She's coming over now with the strong lady."

Jay had to laugh as Clementine hugged Kayla. "Her name is Raquel. But yes, she is quite strong."

"I told her she couldn't pick me up with one hand. But she did, and she sat me on her shoulder. I couldn't stop laughing."

Jay smiled, picturing what had been described. His partner and his daughter having fun together was nice to hear.

"This is the last load," Alvin called from the back of the van. "Got your dining table, so come give me a lift with it."

The sound of a powerful engine accelerating caught Jay's attention then. By now he recognised Raquel's car when he heard it. "Give me a minute, Al. Erin's here," he said.

Raquel parked up nearby and she and Erin got out. Erin looked tired, he saw right away as he walked over and hugged her. "Hey. How are you feeling?" he asked as Raquel went over to help Alvin, giving them a moment to themselves.

"Tired," Erin admitted, which was unlike her. "Didn't sleep well last night, and today has been a bit much for me. Don't worry though, Raquel and Alvin did all the lifting. We owe those guys a night out at our expense for what they've done today. So glad we could tell Hank not to come. Really don't want him pushing himself lifting stuff."

Jay nodded. Hank had been more than willing to help them, and had seemed disappointed when Raquel had stepped in. But he had been warned against strenuous activity by his doctor, so having him stay home was the better option in Jay's view. They could always have him come over and help them unpack boxes.

"Yes, we'll take them out one night," he promised. "Right, let's get the rest of the stuff inside."

-----

Half an hour later, everything was unloaded from the van and placed into the appropriate rooms. Alvin and Raquel left, taking with them Erin and Jay's immense gratitude and an invite to dinner at some point in the coming weeks.

After saying goodbye, Jay walked in and closed the front door. He felt beat, but there was still plenty of work to do before he could properly rest. There were many things that needed to be unboxed for immediate use, and he couldn't expect Erin to help. She was tired already, and he wasn't going to make it worse.

"Jay, come have a rest for a few minutes," Erin called out from the living room.

"Clem, let's go get your room fixed up," Kayla said, also in there. She and Clementine walked out just before Jay walked in. He went over to the couch and flopped down next to Erin.

"Jesus Christ, what a day," he said with a sigh.

Erin cuddled up to him and rested her head on his shoulder. "Right. But the worst of it is over now. We're officially living at 822 Mill Lane. I'm so happy, although I'm too tired to show it. We're all going to be so happy here, Jay."

He affectionately rested his chin on top of her head, cuddling her. "Yeah, we are. A real family home for us. Thank God we got it done. Once we've got the essentials unpacked we can start doing it at our own pace."

"My next job is to start planning decorating the nursery. Once we've agreed what we want, I'll see if Kayla will help me do it. I know you'll have plenty of other stuff to do, so that can be a project for us."

"Sounds good," Jay said. Erin was right, there would be a million and one things to do in order to get the house exactly how they wanted it, so having her and Kayla take the nursery off his list of things to worry about was perfect. "How will you decorate it though? We don't know if we're having a boy or a girl."

"I'll use gender neutral colours."

Of course. Stupid question, he thought. He sat there for a few moments, thinking about what the nursery might end up looking like when it was finished. "I know you're going to come up with something that baby Halstead will love," he said.

There was no response. Then he realised that Erin had fallen asleep. He carefully shifted position so that he could sit more comfortably, and she could rest more easily against him. Settling in to let her sleep for a while, he rested a hand on her stomach and gave her a soft kiss on the head.

"I love you both so much," he whispered.

-----

A/N: Two chapters in two days. Don't say I don't spoil you. XD

Thank you for the feedback on yesterday's chapter. Overwhelmingly those who contacted me or left comments were happy to see some more depth to Kayla's character which made me happy. I'll continue to feature her alongside all of the other regular characters.

Jay, Erin, Clementine and Kayla are in their new home. I felt like moving day needed to be written as it's such an important step in all of their lives.

Next time, Jay needs to try and play matchmaker between Kayla and Kalinda. Do you think he'll have any success?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 319 44
Hank Voight loses everyone he gets close to. Will that finally change when he recruits a new detective for Intelligence?
Copnapped By jen

Fanfiction

28K 624 45
When your life is hanging in the balance, you realise exactly what's important to you. When Erin and Jay are kidnapped, they can only begin to imagin...
12.2K 362 38
They once promised to always have each other's back but destiny does not always go as planned. Now almost four years later, each one living their lif...
26.3K 1.1K 87
The story begins after the season finale of the fourth season, so to speak my story starts off as the beginning of the fifth season. Erin left Chicag...