Subconsciously Flawed | Gensh...

By miranwri

Moriyama Mitsuki, an intelligent, powerful, and manipulatively egotistical man, and yet also a kind, agreeabl... More

00
01
02
03
04
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25

05

176 10 0
By miranwri

(A/N: Apologies for any spelling errors, as well as the rushed chapter. School's been keeping me busy.)

....

"So...you'll do it? If it's necessary."

"Yes, though I'm not quite sure why you've come to me. The Grand Narukami Shrine is no orphanage, but I suppose I owe you."

"I'm sorry. You're one of the few people I can really trust, Yae. His mother isn't doing so well, and I'm too busy trying to find a cure for her. If it doesn't end well for either of us...he needs a place to at least grow up."

Her silence dragged on, the room getting tense. He played with his fingers, looking down at the ground blankly whilst pondering over something. After a few moments he finally opened his mouth.

"You don't have to act as a mother figure, if that's anything that concerns you. You needn't show him any love, none of you should. I just want someone to look after him, please."

"I already said yes," she delicately placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a soft pat, "So take it easy, and relax. It'll push you further down the path of failure if you don't."

"I already think...that such a thing is set in stone."

....

His hand worked skillfully and fast, jotting down notes and pocketing them carefully inside his open robe. He had never seen such a large cavern like this. Why did those of the Abyss always have to spend their time in such obnoxiously dark places?

He was still stationed at Fort Fujitou, at least for today. He'd leave bright and early tomorrow morning so he had to get in just a little more exploration time for today. Over the week, he had been jotting down Abyss hideouts that intrigued him, ecstatic in defeating whatever pathetically weak monsters were within it and looting the place until it was empty.

A looming presence watched over him, dark and emitting an eerily violent feeling...but he pretended not to notice for now. He immediately recalled that familiar sensation of being watched to belong to one the more stronger members of the Abyss. He had defeated a few himself already—just to send the message that he was not to be taken lightly.

He was curious as to what they exactly were, why they despised humanity so, and what they were after. He holds resentment towards an archon, similarly to them, but not exactly either. They seemed to hate...just about everything. Although he felt some similarities with them, it wasn't like he couldn't find solace in avoiding people and the Shogun and doing his own thing. He hadn't actively tried to go against the Shogunate until his alliance with the resistance...So did the world do something so horrible to them that they felt the need to rebel similarly as the resistance did? Maybe he was a bit too curious about them...

'Oh well.'

He turned back around after a few moments of debating, still ignoring the glaring gaze being burnt upon his figure. This enemy seemed to be more on guard than the others had been, not recklessly charging at him or taking him as a joke.

"Do not worry," he reassured loudly enough for the for watching him to hear him, "I will leave you alone for today. Enjoy the comfort of your cold, dark, reclusive cavern." He takes his leave, feeling satisfied when the enemy cautiously watches him exit.

The walk back was taking a bit longer than he intended. He found himself sidetracked by picking a couple of Lavender Melons, mints, sweet flowers, and more, safely procuring them in a bag that Hana had allowed him to borrow. These were all for himself of course, he could make delicious food with the right ingredients, and well—

'The soldiers could have some of the leftovers ingredients, I suppose... '

He made it back just in time for lunch, the little girl called Hana running up to his side the moment he stepped through the gate.

"Are you okay? Did you find anything cool?"

"Fine," he replied briefly, "Not today."

"Aw...you won't be able to find out since you're leaving tomorrow..."

"If I come back, I will be able to."

"Oh, I have an idea!" She suddenly exclaims, "If you tell me where it is, I'll explore it for you!"

"No," he has never replied faster, "The monsters there are dangerous, and you are just a child. Don't ask again."

Hana visibly shrinks back at his tone. It was always serious, but this time it sounded like he was scolding her which he didn't seem to realize as he handed the bag full of ingredients over to her.

"Take this back to those preparing the food today. I must check in with the soldiers."

He doesn't waste a moment to see if she nods or says yes and leaves towards the training grounds to check on the soldiers. Since the attack near Fort Fujitou occurred, many have been able to regain their strength and engage in combat again.

"Moriyama, sir!"

The one watching over their training calls him over, crossing his arms and nodding at him.

"I expected you to be off exploring some cave."

"I did, briefly," he explains, "Though it is not your concern, I just decided to return a bit earlier."

The soldier smiles a bit much to Mitsuki's confusion. He hoped it hadn't sounded like he wished to spend more time with them or something—that would be ridiculous.

"Can I ask you for a favor?" The soldier speaks up, continuing at Mitsuki's urging nod, "Could you train some of the kids?"

This baffles him more.

"You want me to train...a group of children?"

"See the thing is, when they found out you won against General Gorou in a sparring match, they sorta...kept asking if you could train them. I tried to convince them otherwise, I swear, but they can be really insistent."

'Archons, why me?'

"I see." At his clear discontent, the soldier tries his best to reassure him.

"You just have to show them a move or something! Something they have to practice and perfect for a while. Lots of these kids have lost their parents in the resistance or wanna help them...so I hope you understand."

"I..."

His voice drifts off. He was smart, intelligent, and he overwhelmingly prided himself on that but he could not explain the thought process that went through these children's minds.

"I really do not think that is a good idea," He shakes his head firmly, "I am not fond of children, and it is a waste of my time."

His sour tone and negativity did not entirely shock the soldier. Everyone was already accustomed to his back handed responses and insulting way of rejection...but even so, none of them seemed to hate him. Not like he expected them to, the idiots in Inazuma City were just as bad, respecting him and praising him, showing kindness to him despite his dismissive remarks and rude comments.

He turned to leave, and his eyes locked onto a nearby crate, behind it a shifting figure. He paused momentarily and then watched as the moving figure revealed itself to be Hana, scurrying away from a good hearing distance away and away to archons know where.

There's that strange feeling caught in his throat again.

...

"Your Excellency! I've got what you've asked for." Gorou exclaims, eagerly handing her the papers in his hands.

"Thank you. Still no update from Fort Fujitou?"

"Errr," Gorou hesitated but shook his head, "No. Mitsuki doesn't seem fond of writing letters."

"Hah," for some reason his answer reminds her of something amusing, "When I first got a reply from him, he was direct and didn't over explain or add anything unnecessary. Maybe his lack of response means everything is going well."

"You have that much faith in him, huh?"

Kokomi giggled a bit and tilted her head, "And you don't?"

"O-Of course I do," he quickly assured, "a general should always believe in his army...even if it's a one man army like him. He'll be back tomorrow morning, so we'll have an update on the Fort by then."

"That's good..."

Kokomi's face falls suddenly, and Gorou is quick to catch this.

"Is everything alright, Your Excellency?"

She smiles wryly and nods, turning away from him and going through the papers in her hand.

"Everything's okay. Go ahead, I've got work to do."

It doesn't take Gorou a second later after nodding in affirmation to leave her be. He knew she'd prefer to be alone anyhow...she was strong in her own way and he'd never stop admiring the way she carried so many struggles on her own. That's what really inspired him to be better...

Kokomi sinks into her chair, troubled beyond belief. They found out, and someone sold him out. She had been making sure there had been no Shogunate spies within the Resistance vicinities and unless Mitsuki was actively shouting out his alliance with her—which she highly doubted consider his uptight quietness—there shouldn't have been a way for them to have discovered that he was with them, not so soon. Gorou said the attack on the Fort Fujitou had been primarily done by Fatui members...so how?

'We are aware that Vision bearer Moriyama Mitsuki has joined your forces, willingly or not. By the order of our Almighty Shogun and other special parties, the Vision Hunt Decree will be carrying out our mission to retrieve him. If the Resistance seeks to end this peacefully, you will hand him over, followed by other vision bearers within your army to have their visions confiscated. Turning yourselves in willingly will lessen your punishment, so take into consideration before our hands are made to retrieve all of you with force. We are willing to bargain and grant you time to prepare for a few days if you hand over Mitsuki immediately.'

Her hand shakily sets the letter down

How did the Shogunate find out he was here?

She wasn't exactly so worried for him. After all, he admitted he wouldn't mind making an enemy out of them, but she wanted that to be one of the last things that got out—especially with him staying near the Resistance. Wether he acknowledges it or not, he's a special case, and the Shogunate would do much to have him arrested or hurt.

She's had her own spies within the borders of Inazuma City. They've told her about his situation, though she tries to feign ignorance about his history while he's around. The Shogunate and Shogun herself seem to think negatively of him despite his achievements and the fact that everyone else seems to adore him. She always found it strange that he could loathe the people who raised him and treated him kindly, and was so open to slandering the Shogun's name without a care in the world.

He was so reckless because he was protected. The Grand Narukami Shrine...no, Yae Miko, had intended to protect him from harm. But now the Shogunate had a reason to hunt him down, and that was the fact that he was working with the enemy, with her. They could tear into him like her loyal soldiers, and there would be nothing that even the Shrine could do to stop that.

How many people would they send for him? Considering his strength, she wouldn't be surprised if they sent Kujo Sara or the Shogun herself to dispose of him for being such a thorn at their side. And if they showed up, the casualties for her army would be...immense.

The person who told the Shogunate would surely know their plan...

But who?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 9.1K 33
(Y/N) (L/N), a wanderer, who's goal is to end the Vision Hunt Decree in Inazuma. Being wanted for attempting to take back a vision, life isn't easy a...
160K 4.4K 32
Five hundred years ago, they thought that she's one of the casualties alongside with her. The First Archon of Inazuma along with the deity who vows t...
58.6K 1.9K 22
Before Kujuo Sara, there was another, another commanding force that raised his sword and valor in the Electro Archon's name. He who was known as the...
37.5K 1.3K 42
"Gods, give me one more chance..." His hands had never gripped onto something so desperately before. The lifeless body of his beloved in his hands as...