Resume Of Romance

By idet843

Rylie's breath catches in her throat. Moving closer on the bed she wants to touch, she wants to caress the s... More

Synopsis
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6-Trailer included
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10-Trailer Included
Chapter 11
Chapter 12-Trailer Included
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19-Trailer
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author's Note-
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67

Chapter 40

45.1K 1.2K 73
By idet843

Chapter 40

Rylie lay against Chace's chest quietly in the car. His lips are pressed against her forehead his arms wrapped protectively around her. Their fingers are clasped together he plays with the huge costumed ring on her middle finger both of them engrossed in their own thoughts.

The guilt Rylie has over not answering the phone when Monique called is no longer as much of a concern to her as what happens to her sister after the baby is born. What does happen in a situation like this, Rylie still has no idea? Leland, Chace and even Emilio seemed confounded by her questions. She could tell it's not anything good or what they expected to hear from her by the way Chace and Leland looked to Emilio as the legal person in the room when she asked.

How do you deliver a baby if you're handcuffed to a hospital bed, not literally just with the thought roaming around in your head that the moment that child pops out of the birth canal the handcuffs go on because you're under arrest. It doesn't matter that maybe you didn't commit the crime you're accused of, all of that might be determined later. You lose those precious moments most women take for granted immediately after the baby is born and given to you for bonding. Will Monique get that chance to spend time with her baby, will they allow Rylie as her only relative in the room when the baby is born if they can get there on time. Your mind goes to the strangest places when things you take for granted become threatened.

Chace can't erase the look on his brother's face. He and Margo arrived at the party united together. Jayson seemed protective of her and she seemed in awe of him. They looked like they did when they first told him they were in love and wanted to get married.

Jayson now reminds him of the teenage boy he was when they escaped from the burning car they were in with his mother at ages fourteen and eighteen. He remembers the look on Jayson's face when they pulled her from the torn up wreckage as he tried CPR on her. She didn't wake up, she never woke up and came back to them. They both need her now more than ever but it's not meant to be. They are on their own, only having each other and their father who is sitting in the car with a sullen face.

Jayson is wearing that same look on his face he had that night when the ramifications of his actions hit him and he realized things would never be the same. He looked to Chace for answers, he looked to Chace to make his world right, he needed his big brother's help then like he needs him now.

They arrive at the hospital, Emilio does all the talking for everyone to the nurses and doctors. Everyone else is to shaken up to speak about what is finally happening, about what they all dreaded. No one really focused on how this would all play out. They were so caught up in trying to find Monique, in blaming Monique, in thinking that Monique was playing them all. Surely she had escaped and had a plan to deal with the birth of her baby. None of them stopped to think, has she seen a doctor, was the baby okay.

No one knew that such a tiny little thing like the birth of a baby can cause this  much madness, such anxiousness and frustration. No one has made any plans for the baby. They haven't thought what if it's a boy or a girl. Not one item of clothing has been bought, there is no crib or decorated room.

What happens now? They all have that same thought as they ride up in the elevator to the floor they've been told to go to. When the elevator doors open they all get off dressed in their evening gowns and tuxedos getting apologetic smiles from the night crew at the nurse's station. The birth of a baby is usually such a momentous happy event no matter whatever else you were celebrating. This time it's confusing and full of tension. All are anxious for the birth, but it's the aftermath that is of major concern.

Jackson is standing nearby, they all walk over to greet him. Rylie's eyes wonder down the hallway seeing two police officers standing outside of a room. They sip on cups of coffee while having a conversation. She wonders if the room with the closed door is her sister's. She wants to run down to it. She jumps feeling the pressure on her arm when Marisol takes her by the hand pulling her to the waiting area to sit down.

Margo sits in a chair sniffling. This isn't what she signed up for. It's a lot to think about finding herself in this situation. She has some guilt over the things she's done and how she tried to get Monique to leave Jayson. Things have improved between them lately. She looks over to him standing at the nurse's station beside his brother. Chace's arm is around his shoulders for support. They are trying to get information and in to see Monique.

They are told to have a seat along with Rylie, Marisol and Margo. Jackson comes with them to explain. Only Rylie will be able to see Monique as her relative. It is not legally proven yet that Jayson is the father and he and Monique are not married. Margo looks uncomfortable when Jackson explains this. Rylie reaches out to hold her hand seeing her looking lost and confused by all that is happening. Jackson continues to explain that Monique will be taken into custody after she has the baby.

Jayson doesn't like what he's hearing, he wants a DNA test performed right away when it's said that the baby will be in the care of child protective services because the mother will be arrested. Rylie also speaks up asking if she can take the baby.   Jackson tells them both they will have to wait. Someone from social services is on their way there. It will all get worked out later.

A doctor comes out of the hospital room with the two police officers in front of it. Chace is sitting on a loveseat with Rylie, his arm around her shoulder, her hand on his knee. Jayson sits with Margo on another loveseat. Marisol is sitting in a chair with Emilio sitting on the arm of it, his arm around his wife's shoulder, he kisses her on top of the head thinking of when they had both of their children and what they went through.

Richard Braxton sits quietly in a chair next to Margo and Emilio. He's keenly attuned to what's going on around him and filled with angst about the entire situation. His phone buzzes again, he has received several messages from Abram Kessler asking him where he is and what happened to make them leave so suddenly.

He learned tonight from different members of the executive staff how bad Ivana has treated Rylie and the problems she has caused for Chace in the company with several employees filing grievances over her treatment of them and clients. He talking with Emilio learning that Marisol fired her by email because she kept walking out on her when she would try to have a conversation with her and fire her in person. He heard from Jayson how Ivana has stalked Chace, trying to repeatedly seduce him in his office. He's put up with it all because he knows how deep his friendship is with Abram. Richard has not answered any of the messages he's received not sure he wants to.

The emergency room doctor comes over to speak with them. He explains that Monique was brought in three hours ago complaining of some severe cramping and spotting. She is in her thirty-seventh week of pregnancy having some contractions. She is dilated at 3 cm's but had no idea how far along she really was in her pregnancy. She told them she only seen a doctor once with her friend. She became very upset after mentioning her friend Kayla and they had to calm her down. Normally they would send a woman home at this stage of her pregnancy. Because Monique has not had adequate prenatal care, her emotional state is undetermined and her current legal situation may be a contributing factor in her stress they will keep her to watch over her.

The doctor tells Rylie she will be allowed in to see Monique after they run a few more test. Rylie and Jayson are standing next to each other. Rylie is the one mostly holding Jayson up he's so distraught. She thanks the doctor for explaining everything to them. Chace appears behind them guiding Jayson to a seat. He doesn't say much he sits in the chair wearing a sullen face like his father's.

Emilio is at the nurse's station making arrangements for Jayson to have an immediate DNA test. Richard Braxton is sitting in a chair watching the events before him with different eyes and feelings. They are going through all of this but what if it isn't Jayson's child. Leland and Sander are downstairs dealing with a reporter that seemed to get word they were coming here. He doesn't know who else knows they are here. Any one of the people walking around could sell their story to the media. He gets up from his seat to go speak to Emilio. Chace watches him, he gets up to follow his father to see what he's up to.

Margo taps Jayson on the knee. He has his head in his hands wondering what he's going to do as he waits. He sees his father and Chace talking to Emilio. He can see that look on Chace's face. He gets up to join them reluctantly.

"What's going on?" Jayson ask standing next to Chace. Rylie, Margo and Marisol get up to follow standing behind Emilio.

Richard Braxton turns to his son putting his hand on his shoulder. "I don't think you should take a DNA test here. It's too public a place. You have to consider who we are and what will happen if this gets out. You need to take the test privately. I can call my attorney and he can arrange something to have you take it in a clinic tomorrow. If it's really your child, we'll deal with it then."

Jayson takes a step out of his father's reach. He looks from his father to Chace. Emilio is standing next to Chace wearing a scowl. Marisol slips her hand in his united and protective. Of course Emilio's offended that Mr. Braxton thinks he has to call his own attorney to handle this when Emilio is a perfectly capable attorney.

"You really think I give a damn if this gets out dad. I'm ready to take responsibility for what I've done. I know it's my child I helped her hide for several months. We had a paternity test done. The baby is mine." Jayson replies.

"Jayson you really hid her and you didn't tell me." Margo sucks in her cheeks. Rylie wraps her arm around her shoulder trying to comfort her. Margo lowers her head.

"Jayson be quiet. You can't say something like that there are police around. They can arrest you on the spot. Emilio tell him he needs to shut up." Richard looks around him to see where Jackson and the other police officers are as he whisper yells at his son.

"Jayson your father is right about that part, you do need to shut it talking about harboring a fugitive. You knew there was a warrant for Monique's arrest. As for the DNA test, I'm guessing you paid somebody off to do the one you got while she was in hiding. You need a legal one. It can be done here and the privacy of it will be maintained. We'll have it done in another hour." Emilio explains.

"Dad, let Emilio handle this. He's has children and knows legally what he's doing." Chace comments.

"I've had children to Chace. Your mother was in labor with your stubborn behind for thirteen hours. I was with her every step of the way. You arrived into the world pooping and screaming. The first thing we did was count your fingers and toes. You had that head full of dark hair and you were too stubborn to open your eyes. The nurses kept caressing your cheeks trying to get you to open them. When you finally did and they saw your eyes the color of sapphire you became their favorite. We had to leave the hospital just so your mother could get a chance to hold you. Damn women wouldn't leave you alone." Mr. Braxton mumbles.

"That's kind of like women treat him now isn't it." Jayson mouths off with a side glance at Rylie.

"Shut up." Chace nudges Jayson's shoulder while wearing an embarrassed frown that his father has placed so much attention on him.

"Dad tell Chace don't push me, I'm fragile." Jayson moves closer to his wife. Richard rolls his eyes, shaking his head.

"Don't you two start Jayson? Your mother was in labor with you for sixteen hours. You didn't cry when you finally made your entrance into the world, you peed on the doctor. The day we brought you home the nurse was bringing you in to hand you to your mother, you pooped and made the whole room smell like rotting eggs. You had to be changed twice before we got you home. You would make this funny gurgling sound every time you did it. That's how we knew, we smelled you first then you would laugh about it.

"Now see that....even as a baby Chace gets the better story. You couldn't tell a better story than that about me dad." Jayson glares at Chace who is laughing as  Jayson pouts.

Rylie is watching the three men, she's never seen them like this. Monique hasn't even had the baby yet but it's already brought them together if only for a few minutes. She catches Marisol's gaze.

"I've never seen this side of them." Rylie reveals with a smile on her face.

"They have their moments. I believe Richard loves both of them, he just doesn't know how to show it,  he's too busy being a sexist pig, a cheapskate and an asshole most of the time. Thank god neither of them is like him can you imagine." Marisol remarks.

"No I can't. I don't think I would be working at Braxton Holdings if they were. I certainly don't think Chace and I would have ever met." Rylie says.

Emilio offers to go get everybody coffee while they wait for the DNA test. Abram and Ivana Kessler enter the hospital going to the receptionist desk. Abram checks his phone messages to see if Richard called him or texted him back while Ivana is asking for Monique Cameron's room. She is told that no one is checked in by that name. Ivana tries to think, she is sure that Monique is Rylie's sister's name. She pulls out her phone to call Carolyn to ask her. There's no answer. She tries Langston and gets the same response. She and her father finally give up deciding to go to the cafeteria to get coffee before leaving.

The cab drops Gavin off, he goes to the same receptionist also asking for Monique Cameron and is told that no one is checked in using that name. The elevator doors open behind him and unknown to him a police officer gets off of it. Gavin is about to ask more questions when he hears the radioed communication from the police officer behind him. He doesn't know how close to him he his. He tries not to show his nervousness thanking the receptionist he hurries away from the desk to the front entrance of the hospital ready to leave until he sees the reporter that was at the cocktail party. She's getting out of her van, her camera man is with her headed for the hospital front entrance.

If she is here Gavin believes he is in the right place. Frustrated he can't get the information he needs, he calls the Senator to tell him he needs him to use his contacts to get some help.

The doctor comes back down the hallway to tell Rylie she can go in to see Monique for a short while. Detective Blaine rushes over to her just as Emilio is coming off the elevator without any coffee. He looks in a hurry. Chace is sitting down when he sees the look on the detective and doctor's faces.

"What's going on?" He jumps from his seat with Jayson and his father standing with him.

"I just got a report that some people are asking for Monique Cameron's room, we need to check out who it is first. Rylie, I'm sorry you can't go in to see her yet." Jackson Blaine replies with an apology.

"Why should that matter? Just go arrest whoever it is." Rylie says with frustration and getting upset. She turns around to look for Chace. He's right behind her, she walks into his arms hugging him.

"Rylie I'm sorry, she's suspect in a murder investigation and she's also wanted for her participation in an extortion ring. Whoever is here asking for her may be a part of all of this we don't know. We can't endanger her or you. I'm afraid you're going to have to stay out here for a little while longer.

"Is the news media here?" Chace questions.

"They just arrived out front. We got some video on the people. Give us a little time we're checking on it." Jackson tries to keep everyone calm.

Emilio makes it back to the waiting area. "Hey, we got a problem. I just saw Abram and Ivana downstairs in the cafeteria. They have no reason to be here." Emilio reveals.

"Is that who it was, how the hell did Ivana find out?" Chace ask aloud. Richard Braxton rubs his hands over his face.

"Maybe it's my fault. Abram kept calling and texting me after he saw us leave the hotel in a hurry. I didn't contact him back to let him know what was going on. They must have followed us here. I didn't do it intentionally." Richard says.

"I think Ivana learned about Monique from work and she's fishing. Everybody at the company learned about Jayson and Monique because of the video that got passed around." Marisol answers.

"What video, the video. The one Quinton gave me?" Margo questions. "How did it get out at work? Oh no.....I lost it at Braxton Holdings when I dropped everything from my purse that day on the conference table. No wonder those people at that party were snickering and laughing at me. My god Jayson." Margo has tears in her eyes.

"Margo....I'm sorry. I know....maybe you shouldn't be here. I can get Leland or Sander to take you home." Jayson tells her.

"Don't you dare, I'm staying." She says sniffling and shaking so much she has to sit down. Marisol sits down next to her trying to comfort her.

A police officer signals for Jackson to come talk to him as they wait.

He returns to them ten minutes later scratching the back of his head. "Alright....here's where we're at. We got two people downstairs, we had a third suspect but it appears he may have got away. We've got a description of him, we'll keep looking for him. The other two are father and daughter by the names of Abram and Ivana Kessler. Mr. Kessler is making a lot of fuss and the young woman just assaulted a police officer."

"Now Mr. Kessler is requesting favor. We checked him out he is a prominent businessman in the community. He has no police record. He is saying that he is here at the request of you Mr. Braxton. I need to ask you sir, did you ask this man and his daughter to join you here?"

Richard Braxton looks at the disappointed faces of his two sons standing in front of him. His eyes shift to an anxious Rylie. For the first time since his wife's death he feels mortified. He realizes he's put so many things before his son's he can't chose his friendship with Abram over them.

"I can show you detective on my phone if you need proof that I did receive messages from Abram asking me where we are at but I did not return any of his calls or text him back. I never asked him or his daughter to come here." Richard says, his lip trembles, he clears his throat.

A hand reaches out and touches his. "Thank you for that." Rylie squeezes his hand in hers, the older Braxton pulls her into his arms to hug her. "I'm sorry my dear." He pats her on the back.

"Okay, I don't have time for all of these Kumbaya moments. I can't sit here through your family counseling sessions in this waiting room. I've got a murder to solve and an extortion ring to get off the streets. Is there anything else any of you want to tell me, speak up now or risk getting arrested later?" Jackson chastises all of them.

"No sir, there's nothing else." Jayson is the first to say, they all look at him groaning and rolling their eyes.

"Why don't I believe that?" Jackson rubs his forehead.

"Jackson, what's going to happen to Mr. Kessler and Ivana?" Chace asks.

"Humph....not much. We really don't have anything, we can't arrest him for being nosy, we can take his daughter in and we will. I hear she's not to cooperative with authority figures. I'm sure bail won't be a problem for her to post. She will get a court date."

"You have no idea what a problem she can be." Marisol chimes in. "Oh....excuse me, sorry I just fired her earlier today." She adds.

"Well, I'm sure she didn't take that well, she slapped a police officer. Do you have something you want to tell me Chace?"

"You know that lists you have of clients being extorted." Chace answers to everyone's surprise and listening ear.

"Yeah, you're not supposed to know about that but keep talking." Jackson responds.

"I think if you check it you will find Mr. Kessler's name on it." Chace reveals.

Emilio smiles and slaps Chace on the back. He's right, top of page four. It's been going on for two years." Emilio grins at Chace.

"You two know you're pushing it. I'm sure this guy isn't going to talk, but he's going to make a lot of noise about being questioned." Jackson replies.

"Take them out the front entrance. We heard the reporters are here. I'm sure they are going to ask questions, Ivana loves to talk." Rylie adds in.

"You.....you are a smart one." He grins at Rylie. "Chace I'll call you in a few hours." He waves his hand in the air gesturing that he's leaving.

Chace and Rylie go to the nurse's station to ask if she can see Monique. It takes a few minutes but the nurse comes back and tells her she can. Rylie walks over to Jayson to hug him. "I'll tell her you're here." She tells him. Jayson nods.

Chace walks Rylie down to the door, he holds her hands waiting for her to speak. "I don't know what to say to her." She looks up at his handsome face.

"Just tell her you love her and that you're here for her because it's true." He leans down to kiss her lips.

"I love you." Rylie simply says.

"I know, I love you to." He pulls her into his arms squeezing her and kissing her on her forehead. "Tell her hi for me." He says before letting her go.

The door is opened for Rylie she walks in surprised that Monique's stomach isn't bigger. Maybe it's the covers, she looks at the monitor hooked up to her to check the baby and her heart rate. The beats are loud. Monique stirs in the bed feeling someone is in the room.

"Rylie...." She whispers. Her voice is hoarse.

"Yeah...it's me." Rylie answer.

Monique holds up one arm trying to reach out to her. Rylie rushes over to her trying to hug her without hurting her. Both sisters are in tears and holding onto each other. Monique's pillow is soaked but neither of this cares, they are just happy to finally again be face to face.

**Thanks for Reading. (Please VOTE) Hope to get thoughts comments on this.

Well, they are united if only for a little while. Now they have to get ready since none of them really are for the baby.

1. I don't think Ivana is ready for jail, what do you think.

2. Oh boy, you think Monique is going to cooperate or try to work a deal.

3.  Should she get bond or rot in jail until she goes to trial.

4.  Is Margo prepared to take Jayson back with all of this going on?  Will he want the baby?

5.  Rylie hasn't really said to much about the baby....Is she going to try to get custody of it?  or is the assumption that once it's born it will be in Jayson's care?

6.  What's going on with Richard, is he having a moment or coming around to he needs to make things right with Chace?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.7K 2.4K 42
*Book 1 of CEO series* "Am I a villain?" Mr. Martinez probed, pinning me with his intense gaze. "Yes!" He chuckled and instantly he took two large s...
105K 5.3K 24
CHRISTIAN One moment he's being a complete flirt and giving her goosebumps. The next moment he's being a jerk. One moment he's saying things that re...
116K 4.3K 34
๐ผ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘” โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘โ„Ž. ๐‘†๐‘œ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก'๐‘  ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐ผ ๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘‘, ๐ผ ๐‘“๐‘ข๐‘๐‘˜๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘๐‘’๐‘”๐‘”๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘˜๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๏ฟฝ...