Julian

By LolaDom

⭐A Wattpad-Featured Novel ⭐'18 Magic Awards - Favorite Character - Marlo Twenty-five-year-old Calvin Leblanc... More

I. January, Ch. 1
I. January, Ch. 3
I. January, Ch. 4
I. January, Ch. 5
I. January, Ch. 6
I. January, Ch. 7
I. January, Ch. 8
I. January, Ch. 9
I. January, Ch. 10
I. January, Ch. 11
I. January, Ch. 12
I. January, Ch. 13
I. January, Ch. 14
I. January, Ch. 15
II. February, Ch. 16
II. February, Ch. 17
II. February, Ch. 18
II. February, Ch. 19
II. February, Ch. 20
II. February, Ch. 21
II. February, Ch. 22
II. February, Ch. 23
II. February, Ch. 24
II. February, Ch. 25
II. February, Ch. 26
II. February, Ch. 27
II. February, Ch. 28
III. March, Ch. 29
III. March, Ch. 30
III. March, Ch. 31
III. March, Ch. 32
III. March, Ch. 33
III. March, Ch. 34
III. March, Ch. 35
III. March, Ch. 36
III. March, Ch. 37
III. March, Ch. 38
III. March, Ch. 39
III. March, Ch. 40
IV. April, Ch. 41
IV. April, Ch. 42
IV. April, Ch. 43
IV. April, Ch. 44
IV. April, Ch. 45
IV. April, Ch. 46
IV. April, Ch. 47
IV. April, Ch. 48
IV. April, Ch. 49
IV. April, Ch. 50
V. May, Ch. 51
V. May, Ch. 52
V. May, Ch. 53
V. May, Ch. 54
V. May, Ch. 55
Discussion Points & Final Thoughts

I. January, Ch. 2

8.1K 277 61
By LolaDom

     "Is everything okay?" asked Marlo.

     "Yes, sir," said the hostess.

     Her head stuck out through the door opening as to not draw too much attention to herself.

     "The food is ready to be served. We'll bring it right out."

     Marlo pondered the request. "Actually, would it be possible to serve lunch in a few minutes?"

     "A few minutes?"

     "Not enough for the food to get cold."

     She smiled, relieved. "Wonderful. We'll be outside waiting for your cue."

     Her service-industry warmth made him feel better. It was the nicest thing to happen since he left the house.

     Carla Smith, a freshman teacher from the arts department, put out her cigarette on an ashtray and stood before Marlo. She was in her mid-fifties, had a bob haircut, and wore secretary glasses. "Is everything okay, deary?"

     Marlo couldn't tell if her affection was genuine. "Everything's fine. Do we have everyone here?"

     "I think so, unless we have new faces this semester."

     He was distracted, checking every face in the room. None were Calvin's or Roger's. Part of him was thankful that they weren't present for Parker's trash talk, but he hated tardiness. He looked down at Carla. "I'm sorry. What was that?"

     Her lips formed an understanding smile. "Oh, nothing. How was your holiday?"

     "Lovely. We spend it with Lisa's family this year. How was yours?"

     She shrugged. "Not bad. I'm just glad to be back."

     Marlo looked at her, concerned. Carla lost her husband last year, making holidays difficult. It was one of the many things he discovered while eavesdropping. "Is everything okay?"

     "Yes, absolutely. Why do you ask?"

     "I want to make sure everyone's taken care of."

     "You don't have to worry about me."

     He didn't like the sound of that. "Just remember, if you need me to work with you on anything, let me know."

     "Thank you, Principal Cabrera."

     He begged her with his eyes. "Marlo, please."

     "Marlo".

     The name was too heavy for Carla.

     Marlo's watch marked twelve fourteen. He cursed Calvin and Roger in his head. He couldn't waste another minute.

     He stepped to the back of the room, facing the large table where only three people were sitting. "Okay, everyone. I'd like to get started. We're missing a few bodies, but let's—"

     Marlo was interrupted by two tall men stumbling through the front door.

     Their slacks didn't match their ties. Their young, handsome faces were unshaved. They cleared their throats at their much older audience, uneasy at the attention.

     Finally, Marlo thought to himself. Calvin and Roger were in for a lecture, but he'd deliver it later. He motioned them to walk towards him. "Gentlemen, you made it."

     Calvin and Roger came forward. Their thin, starving-artist bodies were no match for Marlo's large frame and growing belly. They each stood on opposite sides of their new boss.

     Marlo placed a hand on each of their shoulders. "Everyone, please welcome Calvin Leblanc and Roger Stuart. Some of you might remember them. They'll be teaching freshman English. Welcome back, men."

     The room fizzed with hellos and welcomes. Calvin and Roger nodded in appreciation.

     Marlo gave them a gentle push towards the table. "Have a seat."

     He took a deep breath and continued. "I want to thank you all for giving up hours of your last winter break weekend to be here. I know the fall semester was rough on us. The governing board wanted the faculty to get acclimated before we start school on Monday, so they'll be paying for this little chow down."

     Roger hollered and pumped his fist in the air. There were a couple of pity laughs.

     Marlo fought an embarrassed groan. "The food should be arriving soon, but first, I wanted to open up the floor to air out some of the concerns that arose last year. What areas of improvement do we need to explore for this upcoming spring semester?"

     The room went quiet, save for the sound of people shifting in their seats.

     Marlo's face collected heat. He wasn't sure if he could take on their attacks.

     Genevieve Millen, a sophomore English teacher who was sitting at the far end of the table, raised her hand. "Well," she said "The biggest elephant in the room is the lack of transparency. The board wants to keep us in the dark."

     Every head in the room turned her way. She sat up straight, with all the conviction of a martyr.

     Her feminine, raspy voice earned all of Marlo's attention, as it always did. His shirt collar tightened, and he tugged at it to give his esophagus room to breath. "Thank you for bringing that up, Miss Millen. Like you, transparency is non-negotiable for me. In the interest of full disclosure, I would just like to add that I share whatever the board shares with me."

     Marlo shifted his weight to his other foot. "Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done internally to remedy this issue? I, for one, am open to anything. Well, almost anything."

     He chuckled, but nobody followed along.

     Marlo wished for an earthquake, an emergency evacuation, anything to save him from this snake pit.

     Then, Calvin crossed his mind. Was this as good a time as any to disclose that Calvin was only there because he pulled the right strings? He searched his heart for courage, but came up short. "Very well. No more secrets."

     The room was still. Every adult looked at Marlo with pity.

     Marlo caught Calvin looking up at him. They had kept their fraternity a secret since Calvin worked at Joan. It was a secret that weighed heavily on their shoulders. Marlo swallowed, praying that Calvin didn't open his mouth.

     After fifty long seconds of silence, it was time to move forward. As always, everyone complained, but no one offered solutions. "Should anything come up, with you or your students, you know where my office is."

     Marlo peaked through the other side of the door and gave the hostess the signal to come in.

     Teenage boys dressed in culinary apparel entered the room with trays of food, setting them down at another table, buffet-style.

     Everyone stood and grabbed a plate, helping themselves to the hot pasta and salad.

     With everyone distracted and Calvin alone, Marlo walked up behind him. In the lowest voice he could make, he asked to speak with him outside.

     He tried for years to separate Calvin from his mother's poor choices, but no matter how many times he removed his envy tumor, there was always some left behind. Seeing Calvin with more hair on his head and less fat on his chin than he did, it was hard not to be envious of the son his mother preferred.

     Being his boss gave him some satisfaction, but he knew the faculty would have his head if they knew of his latest use of influence. Not only would they continue to ignore him when he sat alone at lunch, but they'd use their own power in the community to have parents turn against him. The tail would wag the dog.

     They were two yards away from the door when Marlo knew it was safe to talk.

     "I'm sorry we were late," said Calvin.

     Marlo was thankful to not have to play the bad guy. "That's fine. Just be on time from now on."

     Calvin nodded. "Thanks again for getting us this job."

     "Listen, about that," said Marlo "I need you and Roger to keep that to yourselves."

     Calvin's eyes became large under his caterpillar eyebrows. "We have been. From the very beginning, I swear."

     Marlo sighed. He knew Calvin wasn't trouble, but he was making this harder than it was. "I know. But the teachers are still tense about my new position and I don't want any attention to come from my last pull of strings."

     "I understand."

     "Please," said Marlo, "keep a low profile, just until I can tame the faculty. Don't start any friendships or relationships with anyone at Julian. Same with Roger. Is that clear?"

     Calvin looked at Marlo like a dutiful cadet would his general. "Yes, sir."

     "Good."

     Marlo walked ahead of Calvin back to the banquet room. He didn't want to think about this any longer.

     "Um, Marlo?"

     He turned.

     "I know we're not close, but I appreciate you."

     Marlo felt a sense of control he hadn't felt in months. His ego awakened from its slumber. "Thank you, Mr. Leblanc, but it's Principal Cabrera."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.1K 4.4K 44
𝙏𝙀𝘼𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙭 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘿𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙍𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀 I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
125K 2.6K 38
Lila Daniels has spent all of her life living under the protective wings of her three older brothers, Charlie, Lucas and Tucker or in the gymnastics...
4.7K 915 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
291K 5.8K 48
COMPLETED MADDY HAYES has never been the type of girl who listens to what other people have to say. She's mean, confident, and very, very intimidatin...