Resume Of Romance

By idet843

Rylie's breath catches in her throat. Moving closer on the bed she wants to touch, she wants to caress the s... More

Synopsis
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6-Trailer included
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10-Trailer Included
Chapter 11
Chapter 12-Trailer Included
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19-Trailer
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author's Note-
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67

Chapter 38

42K 1.1K 60
By idet843

Chapter 38

The ride in the car for Chace and Rylie to the event is quiet, each of them is wrapped up in their own thoughts over what to do about each of their siblings. Rylie has the phone Monique gave her. She keeps opening her purse taking a peek inside to look at it as if it's going to ring just because she keeps watching it. Her conscious is bothering her there's a knot in the pit of her stomach. Whenever Monique wants something from her she keeps pestering her until she gets it. It worries Rylie that Monique hasn't called her again for several hours. She's no longer focused on herself or whether or not she's going to get a promotion tonight.

Chace glances at Rylie from under his long lashes. It bothers him that their relationship has revolved so much around the actions of their family members instead of developing the way most normal relationships do. Each time he tries to bring normalcy to it issues with family get in the way.

He never wanted to love anyone this deeply causing him to stay in relationships like the one he carried on with Jade for two years. He struggles with what he feels for Rylie. He wants to protect her and take care of her. He wants to make her dreams for herself a reality but he may be too late. Some of the Board members complaints about her still being employed at the company are getting louder. He was told a few days ago they want her suspended until her sister is caught then quietly terminated if Monique goes to trial.

Chace refused to follow their recommendations. He needs a majority vote to keep Rylie employed. He's been working to get it all this week. He's gotten most of the votes he needs, he's hoping tonight he can come up with the rest. He needs his father and Jayson's vote. It's crucial that he have them but with their relationship as it is, he worries he won't get it.

Leland pulls up to the entrance of the event and the car is swarmed by the media. Rylie is overwhelmed by the number of cameras she sees waiting for them to get out . Chace is by her side sliding his strong arm around her waist protectively holding her against him as she gets out of the car. Cameras flash from every direction in her face.

They take a few steps and a microphone is shoved in Chace's face. A reporter appears blocking them from moving forward, her camera man is to the left of her keeping his telephoto lens on Rylie's confused face.

"Chace Braxton, it's been awhile since I've seen you out and about. Are you giving this party to try to hold onto some of your fleeing clients?" The reporter lays her hand on Chace's wrist, she ignores Rylie keeping her gaze on him.

Chace stops walking with Rylie tucked under his arm to answer the reporter's question. "Good evening Gail. This party is to celebrate the promotion of some of our employees. Clients ending their associations doesn't affect our bottom line if that's what you're hinting at." The familiarity of her hand resting on his chest doesn't escape Rylie's notice.

She picks up on the subtle hint of flirting this Gail woman is doing with him. Gail is trying to keep Chace's attention on her with her smile, her gaze and physicality while hinting at Rylie that there is more between them.

"You're known Chace for dating some of the most beautiful and well known women. Under the rules of full disclosure I must include myself as one of the woman that has had many dates with you. "You seem to have had a change in taste. Who is this woman clinging so tightly to you tonight?" The catty smile she directs Rylie's way isn't missed.

Chace stares into Rylie's eyes as if no one else is around. He slides his hand down her arm to clasp her fingers through his.

"This is my girlfriend Gail, Rylie Cameron. She's an employee of Braxton Holdings." Chace announces proudly looking into the cameras then turning to fix his blue gaze on Rylie. She has so many emotions flowing through her at the moment hearing him call her his girlfriend makes everything else she's thinking about disappear. Her focus becomes solely about them. She never expected him to show his feelings for her in such a public way.

The reporter Gail looks so startled she almost drops her microphone. She's aware of who Rylie is, she knows all about her sister being a suspect for questioning in the murder of the woman at the gym through her connections on the police force. "Rylie Cameron?" The reporter questions Rylie sticking the microphone in her face. "Isn't your sister the woman that's on the run from the police for killing her friend....Kayla Adams?" Gail says in an accusing way.

"My sister and Kayla were best friends." Rylie answers wanting this woman to go away.

"That's not what the police reports say. Isn't it true that the police are looking for your sister as an accomplice in this murder? They also want to question her about working at a prostitution ring that is extorting its prominent clients. Gail pushes the microphone back into Rylie's face.

"Gail, we aren't here tonight to discuss what the police are doing." Chace says trying to move forward with Rylie but being blocked by the huge camera in their face.

"Isn't it true that your sister is pregnant and the father of her baby may be an employee of Braxton Holdings, a congressman or senator?" Gail ask with an obvious jealous smirk on her face.

A stream of photographers and media swarm on them sticking their microphones in a surprised Rylie's face. Chace tightens his arm around her rushing her through the throngs of media surrounding them. The entrance to the hotel is opened for them by the security. They block the reporters at the door from coming in allowing only Chace and Rylie entrance inside.

Once inside the building Chace hugs Rylie to him. "I'm sorry about that." He mentions. Rylie hangs on to him wondering if this is what it's going to be like when Monique is caught.

Chace takes Rylie by the hand they make their way inside the beautifully decorated event hall where the party is being held. Chace is looking around for Marisol finding the bar instead he decides to get a drink. Rylie leaves him at the bar going off to find the ladies restroom.

A few people walk up to Chace to greet him. Some are board members, while others are long term clients. He turns his back to the crowds of people to pick up and take a sip of the drink the bartender hands him. A man he's known all of his life walks up behind him slapping him on the shoulder to greet him.

"Where's my daughter?" Abram Kessler ask Chace.

Chace turns around startled to see the older man so soon. He hasn't thought about Ivana or where she could be. He just wants her to stay as far away from him as possible. Deciding now might be the best time to tell Ivana's father about their relationship he takes another sip of his drink before speaking.

"Mr. Kessler....Abram, I don't know where your daughter is. She's not with me and she won't ever be." Chace lets the words drop from his mouth no longer concerned with being diplomatic.

"What do you mean she won't ever be with you? She told me you two had a disagreement because she was seeing someone else. She said you were jealous and trying to win her back. She was supposed to come here with me but she invited this other man here tonight. She said he was able to get off of work at the last minute he's supposed to bring her. I haven't seen her yet, have you met this man that's supposed to be taking your place?" Abram ask Chace.

"No sir, I haven't met him. I don't know what else she told you sir I'm not interested in being with your daughter, I haven't been with her for almost seven years. We just aren't compatible." Chace wishes he had two or three drinks already in him the way Mr. Kessler is looking at him. He knows although Ivana is a thirty year old woman, her father is still very protective of her.

Chace, she already told me you would deny what you had with her. She said you weren't taking it well. Now I know it's difficult to let go sometimes, but if she's no longer interested in you son, you need to let her go without being bitter about it. She told me she's your executive assistant and you threaten to fire her if she left you." Abram responds.

"Excuse me....?" Chace's brow creases he's wearing a deep frown. "Mr. Kessler sir your daughter is telling you things that are not true. She...." Chace starts to say when Mr. Kessler cuts him off wearing his own scowl.

"Is it true she's your executive assistant? That is the position I sent her over here to achieve. I wanted her to learn about running a fortune 500 hundred company. I was very proud of her when she told me she was working directly with you." Mr. Kessler mentions.

Chace is watching Rylie come out of the restroom, she's being stopped by Marisol to talk. He realizes he needs to wrap up their conversation before she gets over to the bar.

"Mr. Kessler, I didn't want to have to tell you this sir, but under the circumstances I think you should be aware of the truth. Your daughter was in a temporary position as my assistant because there was no other job we could trust her to do. She has several grievances against her sir from some of our employees. My second in command terminated her employment with us today. She was only working for Braxton Holdings because of my father's insistence and loyalty to you as a friend. I'm sorry sir, it just didn't work out." Chace says with a heavy sigh.

Mr. Kessler doesn't speak for several minutes, he turns to the bar to order a drink. Chace waits quietly sipping on his own drink knowing this conversation isn't over yet.

"You do realize she can sue you for this? She told me some things about another woman trying to take her position." Mr. Kessler remarks taking a sip of his drink.

"Yes, she can try sir. Who I give the position to permanently is not her choice or your concern. Now if you'll excuse me." Chace takes his drink walking away.

Jayson and Margo have entered the party Margo wants a drink and so does Jayson. He leaves Margo alone she watches the people entering the building. A man enters surrounded by what looks like secret service to Margo. She recognizes the Senator immediately, the two men with him are the same men she seen with him the night she was at the Mansion waiting on Quinton to finish his conversation with Senator Layton. She doesn't want him to see her, she want's nothing to do with anyone from that place ever again. Hurrying from the spot she's standing in she moves through the crowds of people trying to find Jayson and ends up bumping into Rylie.

"Oh, I'm sorry but so glad to see you. I want to leave, where's Jayson?" She pleads grabbing Rylie's arm.

"Margo let go, your hurting my arm with your nails." Rylie lays her hand over Margo's on her forearm.

"I'm sorry it's just that....there's someone here I'm afraid might recognize me and I don't want him to." Margo responds.

Rylie looks around the room, her eyes land on the Senator talking to a few people not far away from them.

"Margo is the person you want to get away from over there?" Rylie says trying to discretely point to where the Senator is talking to people.

"How do you know, did Jayson tell you about me and Quinton?" Her face is flushed, she seems embarrassed and hyped up.

"Margo calm down, Jayson hasn't told me anything. It's alright. I'm not trying to pry." Rylie rubs her on the arm trying to keep her calm but wondering what her connection to Quinton is."

"I'm sorry, I thought since you and he.....well....your." She continues to blush.

"Margo.....there's nothing between me and Jayson, it's me and Chace." Rylie says softly.

"Jayson never said....he let me believe.....I guess I need to correct that. He's never said anything really other than that you and he are friends. I do believe that he loves you. I didn't know about you and Chace."

"You have nothing to worry about from me when it comes to Jayson, I promise you. Do you want to tell me about the Senator.....I mean you don't have to unless you just want to tell somebody, I know under the circumstances I'm the last person you probably should tell but I'm willing to listen if you want to talk about it." Rylie says.

Margo pulls Rylie further away from where the Senator and his men are to another area before she speaks. "I had a few dates with Quinton to get back at Jayson for seeing your sister. The few times I met Quinton at the Mansion it seemed like the Senator was always there. He's too creepy, he would always watch me. I never officially met him so he didn't know who I was. Quinton told me he asked if I was one of their girls."

"He....he wanted me. Jayson doesn't know he's already upset with me about so much I've done. Anyway, I listened to the girls talking while I waited on Quinton one night. They were afraid of the Senator they said he was an abusive man. I thought they were just talking you know until I wondered down a wrong part of the house and saw him hitting this woman. I don't know what made me brave enough to do it, I recorded it on my phone. I got just enough then I ran right into one of his bodyguards. He stopped me when I was trying to go back downstairs. He searched me but didn't check my phone. I figured if I ever needed it, if he ever came after me or something happened, I would have to use it you know. He's a horrible man." Margo reveals to Rylie.

"Margo, do you have the phone with you? Rylie says looking around to see who is watching them.

"Of course I have it with me. You don't believe me here I'll show it to you." Margo and Rylie walk to the restroom going inside. They wash their hands waiting for the three women in the restroom with them to leave. As soon as they are alone in the lounging area, Margo takes out her phone and Rylie hits the video button to start the video, it makes her physically ill watching it. The woman in the picture is someone she recognizes.

It's the young woman she met when she went to the clinic in New York while looking for Monique. The woman told her she was pregnant with one of the client's babies she set up. Rylie remembered her saying he didn't have the type of money some of the other clients had but his wife was loaded. Rylie looks at the date on the picture. She met the woman approximately four months ago, in this video the young woman doesn't look like she's pregnant.

"Margo, did you see this woman again after this video. No, I asked about her about a month later and I was told that she was no longer with them." Margo puts the phone back in her purse.

"Ahm....did you ask what happened to her, I mean the Senator was beating her." Rylie exclaims.

"Of course I didn't ask what happened to her. I wasn't supposed to know about it I couldn't ask. I looked for her but I've never seen her again." Margo says with finality hurrying to put the phone back in her purse as Jayson approaches them.

"You went off to get me a drink Jayson or did you? You only got you one?" Margo says taking Jayson's drink from him to take a sip. He lets her have it. Moving over to Rylie he hugs her. "How are you, I'm assuming you're here with him." Jayson says.

"If him is your brother then yes, I'm here with Chace." Rylie moves out of his arms stepping on the other side so that he and Margo are standing next to each other.

"Where is my formidable older brother anyway? Are you certain you're his only date Rylie? Looks like his piece on the side has just arrived. You better not leave him to alone, that Jade is hot for him." Jayson comments with a side grin looking at Rylie.

"Are you being snide because Chace knocked you on your ass Jayson or actually trying to make a point?" Rylie says in a huff.

Margo is looking between Rylie and Jayson then looks where Jayson was staring a minute ago. Jayson takes his drink back from Margo finishing it off. "Isn't that Chace's airline stewardess?" Margo points. Rylie follows where she's pointing not recognizing the woman then it hits her. She's the woman that was waiting for Chace in the car when he threatened to fire her.

"Hey, how are you two doing?" Emilio and Marisol walk upon the three of them looking uncomfortable. They all hug each other Emilio asks his wife if she wants a drink. Before he walks away Rylie grabs his arm.

"Emilio.....who is the woman over there talking to Langston?" Rylie ask as Langston looks across the room noticing them. He turns Jade so that her back is to them and keeps her occupied.

"She's....uh....well....she's?" Emilio looks at his wife for help, he doesn't want to reveal to Rylie who Jade is.

"Well Marisol?" Rylie turns toward her.

"Rylie.....I don't know why everyone is acting this way. I don't think he's seen her for a long time." Marisol tries to reassure Rylie.

Rylie takes another look over at Jade then searches the crowd for Chace finding him talking to a client. "Excuse me, I guess since everyone knows about Jade but no one wants to tell me what's going on between her and Chace, maybe I should ask him myself." Rylie walks away from all of them making her way through the groups of people talking. It sticks in her mind that Chace left her once before to go be with this woman but it was so long ago, she is a bit startled to find her here tonight.

Before she can get to Chace who has now moved on to talk to someone else a woman touches her on the arm. Rylie turns around to find herself face to face with the woman that was just the topic of conversation.

"Hello." Jade smiles sardonically at Rylie while looking her over from head to toe. "Well, I can see why he wants to sleep with you, I'm not worried about it you know. You're a distraction because of his brother having an affair with your sister that's all. He and I have been together for two years and I don't plan to end what we have."

"Excuse me." Rylie is shocked by the woman's abrasive approach. She quickly tries to mask it.

"Oh don't act like you don't know who I am. I saw you all watching me when I came in, was Langston the sacrificial lamb sent to keep me occupied because you didn't know I was coming tonight. Well I'm making sure that you do know I'm here. I'm not giving him up, I like what we have."

"I don't know you and I would really like to have a discussion like this somewhere else but since you want to push the issue and have it out right here, let's do this. I just learned your name is Jade. You're not important enough for me to discuss you with Chace and I don't really need to talk to you now." Rylie comments ready to walk away.

"Why don't you want to talk to me, are you afraid people are watching us together? Sizing us up to see which one is preferable?" The woman's acerbic smile is annoying to Rylie. First the reporter, now this chick. She thinks to herself.

"Look, I don't care who is watching us. Maybe you need the attention, I don't. He's here with who he wants to be here with. I'm sure he'll go home with the person he wants to go home with to. If you think it's going to be you go for it." Rylie says with confidence, her new found security in their relationship pushing her on.

The two women are glaring at each other when Chace walks up to them touching both of them on their backs. "Ladies, can you both come with me." He's looking around the room trying to usher them from the center of it where they are being closely watched. Tonight just isn't his night, he hasn't thought much about Jade since he last seen her.

He looks angered walking ahead of them both into an empty small room. After the two women enter he closes the door and runs his fingers through his hair messing it up as they both stair at him waiting for him to explain.

Chace looks between them trying to measure his words before he speaks. "Chace you invited me here, you need to tell her." Jade reminds him. Rylie looks from Jade to Chace, her lips pressed together, her eyes burning into his.

"I invited you to our annual cocktail party six months ago Jade. Things changed, I thought I made that clear." Chace remarks looking at Jade, Rylie lowers her head.

"You never said I was uninvited Chace, you've never said you weren't coming back." Jade tells him.

"Look, this is a conversation between the two of you I don't need to be a part of, I'm leaving." Rylie breaks free walking away and out the door leaving Chace with Jade.

"Rylie....wait." She hears him say but she keeps walking. She rounds a corner bumping into a man on the phone.

"Excuse me.....I'm so sor...." She stops short when she realizes who she bumped into.

"Ms. Cameron, I hope you bumping in to me was intentional." The man puts his phone away in his tuxedo. "I'm happy to bump into you. I hoped to have a chance to talk to you tonight and of course to say hello to some of my constituents." Senator Layton doesn't remove his hand from Rylie's back but she shrugs away from him causing him to furrow his brow at her action.

"Senator, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. I was just on my way to the ladies room so if you'll excuse me." Rylie tries to move out of his reach he moves with her when she takes a step keeping his hand cupping her elbow.

"You seem upset Ms. Cameron, did you just receive some disturbing news?" The Senator ask, he's too close to her effectively keeping her from getting away from him. She can see two of his bodyguards not far from them but they are looking away. She fears they look away allot at some of things he does. Rylie is extremely uncomfortable with his hand on her elbow she can smell the liquor on his breath but she doesn't want to make a scene and end up in the latest news cycle.

"Senator, can you just tell me whatever it is you want to talk to me about I really need to go." She tries pulling away from him he pulls her back.

"Come with me Ms. Cameron, I assure you I'm not interested in making a scene. I think you'll be interested in what I have to say." The Senator pulls Rylie toward a secluded area. The hallway he's leading her down is a bit dark. She keeps looking behind her nervous that no one knows where she might be.

The Senator guides her to an enclosed veranda where he lets her arm go taking a few steps away from her.

"I can feel your fear Ms. Cameron. Your face is flushed, your eyes are wide and alert, your blood pressure is probably raised ever so slightly and you keep licking your lips. Normally it would make me excited that I can bring these emotions out of you, your lips are very succulent and I don't deny that I would love to taste them. But tonight is not about pleasure for me, it is about business and your sister is interfering heavily in my business. I know that she is somewhere out there alone and in her third trimester of pregnancy. I know that Monique is tired, she is aching and very scared."

Rylie is listening to him and looking around hoping someone passes through this way. She is quietly taking a step every chance she gets closer to the direction they came from. "Senator.....I haven't talked to my sister for a long time. I really don't know where she is if that's why you brought me here."

"You may or you may not know where she is presently. I believe you do know how to get in touch with her. I want you to tell her to keep her mouth shut. She will have to have this baby somewhere. She will get careless and the police if not others will catch her....." The Senator remarks.

Rylie gets more nervous she knows what he says is true. "Senator I have no control over my sister or what she says and does. You're really wasting your time talking to me about this."

He shoves Rylie against the wall his hand around her throat. "Don't interrupt me, just listen." He says loosening his grip but not letting her go. Rylie can feel his body against hers she tries not to move, terrified after what she heard from Monique and Margo about him. In the video Margo had, he was choking the woman, his hand on her neck like now.

"I want you to tell your sister I want to meet with her to offer her a deal. I'm aware that the baby she's carrying is possibly mine. If your sister wants to get out of this alive you tell her I'll take the child, my wife and I will raise it. My wife can't have children she'll never question where the baby comes from. I've got everything already arranged. Monique will have to disappear but she needs to meet with me soon before she gets caught or has that baby for us to do this." The Senator removes his hand from around Rylie's neck when one of his bodyguards appears.

"Senator.....we have to go sir." The man says looking uncomfortable, Rylie is shaking and afraid to move from against the wall. She meets the apologetic gaze of the secret serviceman.

"Senator, we need to go now sir." He says more firmly trying to get the Senator away from Rylie.

The Senator looks from him to Rylie. "Remember what I said to you. She better come to me. Call me next week or you'll see me again." Are his parting words.

Both men leave Rylie in the shadows. She hears footsteps coming. She can't talk to anyone right now. There's a bathroom across from where they were standing. Rylie rushes through the door into it. She collapses into one of the lounge chairs holding her head in her hands unaware that she is being looked for by Chace.

Chace hurries down the hallway looking for her but he doesn't see anything. He turns back around to go back the way he came. Running into Marisol and Emilio.

"Did you find her?" Marisol looks worried.

"No....I don't know where she's at. I've got to talk to her I've got to explain." He says.

"Chace.....I'm sorry. You've got to announce the names now of the people that got promoted. It's getting late." Marisol reminds him. Chace nods his head. Emilio slaps him on the shoulder.

"You and Marisol go do what you have to do. I'll gather everyone else and we'll find her." Emilio tells him.

Monique has been rushed to the hospital, her landlord is with her. She was asked several questions about Monique when she was brought in. She could only give minimal information like Monique's name, date of birth and tell them that Monique came to live with her a week ago. She doesn't know who the father of her baby is or how far along she is. She was asked if she knew of any relatives. The landlord could only tell the receiving nurse that she heard Monique mention the name Rylie. She believed it was her sister.

The nurse took the information and asked the landlord to wait in the waiting room. It's been two hours and she hasn't heard anything. She's on her second cup of coffee when she sees two police officers getting off the elevator making their way to the nurse's station then being directed to the room Monique was taken to.

**Thanks for Reading.  (Please VOTE and leave your Comments if you want to)

-Is Rylie going to be promoted?

-She's feeling so many emotions right now, how is she going to handle Monique getting caught.

-Will she stay at the cocktail party or leave it without Chace when she is sure to get that phone call....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2M 407K 39
#1 in romance genre (1stJan - 8th Jan.) ( Again placed #1 in romance in Feb) Aaron got up from his seat and walked round the table towards her while...
124K 2.7K 30
#10 in bf #11 in gf #21 in miscarriage #47 in chicklit #50 in chances #502 in romance She was sitting on the foot of bed, clamping the sheets in her...
476 21 11
(Book one of: Replacement) [Slow update] Walking inside the house he only witnessed the darkness in whole house expect dinning area. Walking through...
759K 50.6K 98
As he took one last step closer, his muscles made direct contact with every fragment of my body, and I could feel my skin become ten times warmer. "...