Falling for Death

By magdalenaandi

Book 1 in The Life and Death Duet This is the story of a boy who didn't think he could ever love somebody an... More

Shadow
Bakery
Interesting
Thoughts
Okay
Playlist
Party
Late
Secrets
Friends
Maybe
Dream
Something
Fight
Heated
Memories
Deja vu
This way
Gone
Life and death
Picture perfect
Before
Why me
Drained to nothing
Part of me
Reason
Date
Again
Therapy
Together
Shopping
One day
Promise
Traitor
Apart
Hate or love
Drivers license
Home
Anything
Dangerous
Hero
Perfect
Bloody valentine
Dance with the devil
Confession
Future
Flowers
Speechless
Her
It always ends
Loved and lost
Move on
Strangers
Life goes on
One last time
New beginnings
The one that got away
Epilogue
Author's note

The end of the world

6.6K 111 239
By magdalenaandi

Harper

"Frappuccino or iced coffee?" I mumbled to no one in particular. He glanced at me, raising an eyebrow.

We were waiting in the line at starbucks. My clothes had dried earlier thanks to the heating in his car so we didn't look crazy walking around in soaking wet clothes.

"Iced coffee."

"But I want a frappuccino."

"Then get that."

"But Iced coffee is my favourite."

"Get both."

"That's too much."

"What do you want then?"

"I don't even know." I stared at the menu, switching back in forth between iced coffee and frappuccino.

It was a very hard decision to make.

"Aren't they the same?" I shook my head, giving him a disappointed look.

"Not even close."

"It's not the end of the world Harper. I'll get you both."

"You will?" I grinned, he rolled his eyes and told the barista what I wanted when it was our turn. They prepared my drinks and handed them to me.

"Thank you." I smiled. "Can you hold this?" I asked Ace, he took the frappuccino out of my hand and we exited the building, going back to his car.

"Where to next?" I questioned, as we got in.

"I have to take you home, I have work." I frowned.

"Oh okay." he sighed.

"I'm sorry baby."

"It's fine. I mean how else are you going to make money and provide for me?" I teased. He chuckled under his breath.

"I'll come over after."

"I don't remember inviting you." the corner of his lips tugged upwards.

"Oh?"

"Yeah but you would still come over, anyways."

"You don't want me to?"

"I spend too much time around you. You're a bad influence."

"Am I?"

"Very."

"But you like me." he stated.

"Yeah, that's the problem."

"You're stuck with me forever, that's a promise." I didn't mind at all.

"How do you know that?"

"Because I won't let you go." my heart fluttered. No it bursted out of my chest.

"Forever is a really long time, you know." I said, he shook his head.

"It's not even close to enough."

"You meant that?"

"More than ever." I smiled and leaned over, kissing his cheek.

Same here Ace. Same here.

We arrived to my place and he dropped me off then he was gone again.

I unlocked the door and walked inside. The house was quiet. Mom was still at work. Elliot was probably in his room.

I took of my shoes and jacket and headed upstairs to my room.

I dropped my bag on the ground and picked up a pair of Ace's sweatpants and a random cropped laced tank top and got changed. I sipped on my iced coffee and when I realized I finished it, I went to my frappuccino while scrolling through my phone.

After a while, I felt hungry so I went to the kitchen and prepared something to eat, ramen, for me and Elliot.

"Elliot!" I called. There was no answer so I repeated myself. Again, no answer.

Where the hell is he?

I turned off the stove and made my way to his room. Opening the door, I realized he wasn't there.

I swear if this is one of his little pranks.

"Elliot? I made ramen? I'll eat it all if you keep hiding." Still no answer.

Nothing.

I was starting to get worried.

Maybe he's at Amelia's.

I swallowed hard and hurried to my room and grabbed my phone. I dialled my mom's number. It rang for a few seconds then she picked up.

"Hey honey. What's up?"

"Elliots not in his room." my voice came out kind of shaky.

"He's not?"

"No."

"Are his shoes by the door?" I went over to check. There weren't. Why hasn't I noticed earlier?

"No."

"Well, he's not at Amelia's, I was just talking to her mom."

"Then where is he?"

"I'm sure he's out at the park or something."

"With who?" she didn't answer for a second as she was thinking about where he could be.

"I'll be home in fifteen minutes."

"Okay bye." I ended the call. I began pacing back in forth in my kitchen.

Where could he be?

It was very abnormal for him to do this. He usually stayed home or went over to Amelia's house.

But he was at neither.

And the worst thing was that I was out with Ace while he could've been in trouble.

Thousands of possibilities of what could of happened to him flooded my mind. Memories of that day crowded my thoughts.

No.

He's okay. He has to be.

I quickly dialled Ace's number, he immediately picked up.

"Hey."

"Listen I'm really sorry that I'm bothering you right now-"

"You're not bothering me. What's wrong?" he said.

"Elliot is missing."

"What?"

"He's missing. He's gone. I don't know where he fucking is. He's not in his room." the stress took over, I was anxious.

"Amelia's not at home either, I'll be there in ten." he hung up. That's when I started to really feel panicked.

Him and Amelia were both missing. What if something terrible occurred. What if they got lost somewhere? What if someone took them?

I took in a deep breath and exhaled, attempting to calm myself by remembering when Ace did this with me.

This time, I didn't feel better.

I couldn't shake away the horrible thoughts. They just wouldn't go away.

The sound of the front door opening then closing snapped me out of it. I instantly rushed over there and that sense of hope in my chest that it was my brother deflated.

It was Ace.

"Harper, it's going to be okay. We'll find him." I slowly nodded. He pulled me in his arms and rubbed my back soothingly.

"What if something bad happened to him? To them?"

"I'm sure they're alright."

"You don't know that." A sudden wave of guilt came over me.

I was his sister. I'm supposed to look after him. But I didn't. I was with Ace and wasn't there for my own brother.

"We should go to the police." I suggested.

"They won't do anything unless they've been missing for more than forty eight hours."

I completely forgot about that.

"What if they're hurt?"

"Maybe they went to the park." he reasoned, his voice was calm and soft, attempting to comfort me.

But nothing could make me feel better.

"It's cold out."

"Let's take a look there." he suggested. That's a good idea.

Maybe I was stressing and panicking for no reason.

"Okay."

I followed him to the door and slipped on my coat and shoes. We walked out of my house and headed to the park that was near by.

I doubted they were there. It's too cold out and there's snow everywhere, even though it's melting. Usually they'd hang out at our place.

But they're not.

He grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. The warm feeling of when my hand was in his eased my mind.

"Hey. Just breath okay? Relax, we'll find them." I nodded.

"Sorry, I'm overacting."

"You're overwhelmed, it's alright." he said, brining my hand to his lips and kissing it softly.

We made it to the park and to my dismay, it was deserted.

My anxiety rose again. I looked around, my eyes dying to spot them.

"There's no one here." A small frown formed on his face. Then it faded and he laughed quietly.

"What's so funny?"

"I think I know where they are." He said. I was bewildered.

"You do?" he nodded, "Where?"

"The spot."

"They don't even know about it." hope soared through my heart.

"Come on." he led me away from the park and we walked further down the sidewalk until we reached the familiar place.

It getting very dark out as the sun was setting. It was so mesmerizing. The sun glistened against the slightly frozen over water. The faint sunlight kissed our faces.

I loved it here.

And just as he had said, they were here. Sitting in the very spot Ace and I did. They were laughing together. It was adorable.

Their backs were turned towards us so they didn't know we were here.

I was grateful and so relieved that they were alright. I had literally nothing to worry about.

They're safe.

I began to laugh and glanced at him. I knew he wanted to laugh as well, but instead he just smiled and I was blown away.

How can one be so perfect? I wouldn't know the answer, I just am.

I amused myself.

Not but like seriously, how is he so beautiful? He was probably sculpted by gods or something. I'm more beautiful though.

"What?" he said. I simply shook my head and went over to them.

I whacked my brother behind the head, he yelped and turned around.

"Ow Harper!"

"Sorry?" Amelia started laughing. Ace gave her a cold look.

"What were you guys thinking?" he said.

"You can't just disappear like that." I added.

"I'm sorry." they said in unison.

"I thought you wouldn't mind." Elliot told me, "When I got back from school, you weren't there so Amelia and I wanted to go for a walk."

"Then we found this place!" she said. I couldn't help but smile.

They found our spot.

And that made it even more special.

Ace and I turned to look at each other.

There was something behind him, I swear time stopped. It felt like the end of the world.

"Oh my gosh Ace look over there." I gasped in horror.

Concerned and fooled by my amazing acting skills, he turned around. I took this as an opportunity to make a snowball and threw it directly in his face as soon as he turned back towards me when he realized what was happening.

The snowball hit his face. He froze.

Then, before I knew it, two snow balls were launched right at me. I screamed and laughed at the same time, falling to the ground dramatically.

He chuckled and offered me his hand, I smirked and yanked him down to the ground with me. Knowing what I was going to do, he didn't seem fazed at all.

He caught himself and place arms on each side of my body as he laid on top of me, similar to a plank position.

That's hot.

We stared into each other's eyes, getting lost in the depths of emotions swirling in them.

"Snow ball fight!" Elliot yelled, ruining our moment, Amelia threw one at him. He threw one back.

It was amusing to watch.

Ace pulled me up. I made an attempt to run away from him and this time, I actually succeeded. I made a huge snow ball and chucked it his way.

I missed.

It hit Amelia. She squealed and threw three back at me. It got hectic as my brother tried to tackle Ace to the ground. He failed and was thrown into a pile of snow.

I laughed at him and threw a snowball at Ace. I was about to run away before he could throw one back when I slipped on ice.

I groaned and laid there. His laughs filled the air.

This continued for hours, we just had a war. A literal war, by a bridge. We probably looked crazy but no one was watching and we didn't care.

When we got back home, I noticed a car was parked on our driveway, it wasn't Ace's. Confused, we all went inside.

My mom and someone, no a man talking could be heard from the doorway. I took off my jacket and shoes and went over to the kitchen where the voices were coming from.

The man's voice sounded so familiar yet so distant. Elliot's brows furrowed in confusion.

I caught sight of the visitor and my heart dropped down to my stomach. Standing by the counter, talking to my mom, was the man who caused our family so much pain.

Of course it was him.

My father.

They noticed us and their conversation halted and their attention went to us. My mother looked insanely relieved when she saw Elliot.

My 'father' had a shocked look on his face when he saw me, my brother and when he spotted Ace. His face turned pale.

Ace's expression was stoic but his eyes shown with dread.

"Harper. Elliot." My father stammered. I looked over to my mom, she avoided my gaze.

I didn't know what do say. I didn't  want to say anything. I was so confused and mad at the same time.

What is he doing here? Why is my mom talking to him? After everything he's done to us. Why did he suddenly decide to show up? Why now?

Where was he all this time?

Thousands of questions swarmed my mind.

I shook my head with a scoff and walked out of the room. My mom called after me but I was already out of the door, walking outside.

I heard someone following me. I knew by the footsteps that it was Ace but I didn't turn back to look and continued walking to nowhere in particular.

I found myself walking to the park and sat down on the bench by the lamp post. Now it was dark and cold but I didn't mind.

I'd prefer do be anywhere else than in the same room as my dad.

Tears pricked my eyes. I ignored them. I've seriously had enough. Of everything.

I was so done. I was so tired. Of myself, other people, life. Everything.

Why can't I have one good day, where nothing goes wrong?

Why can't I be happy for once?

I hated that every time I actually was content something always had to ruin it. It's as if the world doesn't want me to be happy.

What did I even do?

All I ever wanted was for happiness to last. Maybe not forever because that is a very long time, a few moments is all I need.

I hadn't noticed that he was sitting beside me, I was too lost in thought to even bother looking.

I sighed and swallowed the lump in my throat and looked at him, when I heard him light up a cigarette, placing it between his lips.

He took in a drag, blowing the smoke away then looked directly at me.

"Can I have one?" his lips twitched upwards.

"You won't like it." I shrugged. He handed me the cigarette. I looked at it for a few seconds then put it between my lips.

Immediately, I scrunched my face up in disgust and held it away from my face for a second then took in a drag.

I wanted to feel relaxed. I wanted to ease my mind and this helped in a way.

It tasted gross though.

"Okay never mind, I'm done." I gave it back to him. He chuckled and brought it to his lips.

"These aren't good for you." he said.

"Then why do you smoke?"

"I used to think it would kill me slowly, that's what I wanted and I was right."

"Why?"

"I had nothing to live for." he responded, taking in another drag.

"What about now?"

"I have you." my heart did the thing.

"You still smoke."

"I can't stop." I nodded in understanding.

Once you get addicted to something, it's very hard to stop.

"But I want to. Because I don't want to die at all, I have you to live for."

"You should be living for yourself." he shook his head.

"I don't care what happens to me, as long as I have you, I'll be alright."

Same here.

"You shouldn't rely on me to make you be alright." The hypocrite in me was talking. I literally relied on him as well.

If one day he suddenly walked out of my life, I knew for fact that I would be devastated. I wouldn't be myself anymore.

"I do and I can't stop that either." I sighed.

"What if one day you don't have me anymore?"

"That won't happen." he said.

"How are you so sure?"

"I just know." a pause, "Life without you would be a world of darkness. You're the light in my life Harper, if that ever disappeared, my world would be nothing."

You're my world." His words left me speechless. I stared at him.

"I meant what I said baby." he said.

"You're my everything too." I finally managed to find my voice again. "But what if you leave me?"

That question had been on my mind since forever.

That fear was embedded in me. I couldn't shake it away.

I'd never leave him but what if he walked out of my life?

It would be the end of the world.

My everything would be gone.

So would my heart.

"I would never." he said.

"But what if?"

"Did you not hear the things I just told you?" I laughed.

"I'm scared, that's all." his eyes softened.

What if he turned out like my dad?

"Don't be."

"If only it were that easy." I said. "I mean my dad left so what's stopping you from leaving too?"

"I'm not like him."

"I know but there's really nothing stopping you from walking out of my life."

"There is."

"And what might that be?"

"My heart." he said.

Oh.

"I don't understand."

I'm dumb.

And that's okay.

"You have my heart Harper." I smiled. "There it is, that smile."

"You have my heart too Ace. You stole it."

"I don't plan on giving it back." he said.

"Good because I'm keeping yours forever as well." this time he smiled.

That smile.

The one that lit my heart on fire.

"I don't want it back anyways, it's all yours."

"We sound like one of those couples." I said.

"We are one of those couples." he always knew how to make me laugh. To make me smile.

He was the one for me and I him.

"But if I ever lose you Harper, I'll burn the world down to have you back."

"Better not lose me then."

"I won't."

We sat in silence together, comfortable in each other's presence.

It was getting very late. My mom is probably worried.

"We should probably go back." I suggested even though I didn't want to.

"I know you don't want to go back there." He knew me well. Better than anyone else.

"You're right." he smirked faintly.

"Come on."

"Where to?" I asked.

"I have a place in mind." he held my hand and we walked down the sidewalk.

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and checked the time. It was a quarter to ten.

Wow.

We've been sitting there on the bench for at least two hours. It certainly didn't feel like it.

When I was with him, time flew by so quickly.

He made life bearable.

"You're not going to tell me, are you."

"You should be used to this by now." I laughed.

"Fair enough." we walked back to my house and I was confused until he unlocked his car.

Oh!

"Get in." I did and he reversed out of my driveway and drove off.

I plugged my phone to the aux cord and chose a random song.

K by cigarettes after sex began playing, filling out the silence in the car.

I opened the window half way, letting the cool night air of late January kiss my face. I watched as we passed through the city.

I loved nights like these. Late drives with him. Simply being in his presence.

Perfect.

He soon pulled up to a small restaurant. It was a bubble tea place. I've never been here before nor have I ever hear about it.

He got out and opened the door for me, I stepped out. He led me inside, placing his hand on the small of my back. Butterflies fluttered in my chest.

"How do you even find these places?" I asked.

"I know you love bubble tea."

I didn't push further even though his response didn't really answer anything.

He went to the front counter and ordered something for us. while I looked around the place.

It was very dainty and comfy.

I glanced back at him and he was holding two milk tea bubble teas. I grinned when he handed one to me.

"Thank you."

"Welcome."

We walked out of the restaurant and headed back to his car. Getting in, he drove off. He wasn't going on the direction of my house.

"We're going somewhere else?" he nodded once.

I think I know.

"I know where we're going!" I announced.

"Do you now?" we were headed out of the city, to the cliff.

He soon pulled up to the empty clearing and parked the car. We got out and walked up to the cliff. I brought the bubble tea with me.

I looked up at the sky, the stars shining back at me.

Once we made it to the spot, I sat down at a fair distance away from the edge and he sat beside me.

"I knew you were going to take me here." I took a sip of my milk tea, chewing on the bubbles.

"We haven't been here in a while."

"I kind of missed it." he chuckled. We sat in silence, watching the water glisten with moonlight and the stars shining a little brighter from up here.

"Thank you for making me feel better. I don't know what I'd do without you." I told him sincerely.

"No need to thank me, I'm just doing my job." I laughed.

"Seriously though, I'm happy I met you that night."

"For real?" I nodded, "Do you think we were meant to be?" he asked randomly.

"Yes, we're soulmates."

"How do you know for sure?" he said.

"We found our way back to each other again. We always do."

"Why were we even separated in the first place?"

"That I don't know but what I do know is that we're made for each other and no matter what happens, we'll always find our way back together." I said.

"No matter what?"

"No matter what." I confirmed.

We were meant to be together. It was written in the stars. Destined by fate.

And we'd always be Ace and Harper no matter what happens.

I could be his downfall, he'd be mine and if we weren't together, it would be the end of the world.

Our world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 92 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
2.8M 101K 58
"Do you ever get scared of being happy?" He asked softly, also pretty tired. I kept my eyes closed as I answered, my fingers softly drawing circles o...
247K 7.1K 20
Before I knew it my shirt was torn away from my torso and tossed on the floor, Charlie's doing the same. Our kiss intensified and I felt him groan ag...
9K 1.5K 31
Book 1 of The Flaw Series. You can't scream at the world and expect the world not to scream back. Via is the type of girl who loves to live in it w...