VOLKO

By Dorothy_Bell_

When Megan Young agreed to spend the summer with her estranged father, she hadn't anticipated his right hand... More

Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty- Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Notes

Chapter Six

257 7 0
By Dorothy_Bell_

After the interaction with my father and Dean in the hall I went and found Jake. Reluctantly, he took me up on my suggestion to tell me about the paintings and statues father had collected over the years.

In all honesty, I really didn't care that much about art. I found the whole thing kind of boring. But Jake did, and the thought of spending another day laying around doing nothing wasn't an option.

So I said my wow's and Oh's in all the right places to keep Jake eager. Funny, how he disliked our father so much yet knew practically every detail about when, where and why Robert had brought the art.

When my phone beeped to inform me I'd walked ten thousand steps we called it a day.

Later in the evening, the atmosphere at dinner was considerably lighter than it had been the last three nights. Robert had patted the chair next to him, indicating for me to take a seat. If the action had bothered Jake he didn't show it.

Robert then spent the majority of the dinner asking me a number of questions, most about my plans after the summer and the Cotton's. Jake's unusual quietness didn't go unnoticed by me, he often reacted badly to any mention of the Cotton's. A number of times I tried to steer the conversation away, but Robert's persistence was unwavering.

The non-stop questioning began to feel like an interrogation. Not helped by Dean's sudden lack of response, he barely spoke to anyone unless asked something directly.

What was up with the men in this house?

Laying in bed that night, I told myself I should be grateful. Robert was clearly making an effort, his keenness to get to know me made the decision to spend the summer here finally feel like the right one.

The next day I woke at half seven, much earlier than my normal time. One look out the window and the sun shined so brightly the idea of going back to sleep would be a sin.

Knowing that Jake wouldn't be up yet, I dressed quickly into my jean dungarees with a simple grey t-shirt underneath. The outfit was nothing special but perfect for exploring the grounds.

As I walked through the house, an eerie silence hung in the area. Every now and then I'd spot a guard, but they were few and far between. I'd begun referring to the men that worked here as guards because of their unfriendly, and unapproachable manner. There were some who'd merely walk around the grounds endlessly like they'd lost something. Those who stood on certain spots all day like guard dogs and others who always had somewhere to be they'd rush by.

Not forgetting the men who seemed to be in some sort of training camp. Once I reached the garden they were hard to miss. Something they did every morning, and never at the same time.

I looked for Dean amongst the men, his absence was noticeable. The men weren't sweating anywhere near as much as they would if he was there. I hated to admit it, but I began to wonder where he was. His sore expression each morning had become the only consistent thing around here.

Conor was the only one who acknowledged my presents with a nod of his head. The others kept themselves focused on the task at hand. What they were training for was beyond me, Robert flat out played deaf whenever I mentioned it. And Jake's 'just to keep fit', didn't ring true. Nobody trained this hard just to keep fit.

Or perhaps they did, what would I know? I didn't exactly have the figure of a supermodel. The last time I ran I'm pretty sure I had a mini heart attack.

I picked up my pace as I walked past them and within ten minutes I was surrounded by trees sixty feet tall, and greeted by hundreds of singing birds. The further I went the more animals I spotted along my way. Their fearless curiosity told me how little people ventured into the woods.

At about five minutes in I came to a large lake, the water was that muddy green colour, yet it took none of the beauty away.

I spent half an hour soaking up the stillness of my surroundings. Sitting with my knees pulled to my chest, the fresh air filled my lungs as I closed my eyes. Without shouting men, and constant drilling and hammering I could hear myself think. Plus knowing Victoria couldn't pop out of anywhere to scold me, made relaxing that much easier.

On my way back I made a mental note to mention it to Jay and Gemma. If they ever got to come here, they'd love the lake. Especially Chase, open water swimming was his favourite pastime. That and winding up Roy.

The image of the four of us kayaking across the water like we had on holiday in Scotland one time, sent a smile to my lips, and added a skip to my step as I made my way back.

Far into the distances came faded voices. I wasn't sure how far out I was, or if I was even on my fathers land. So I slowed my step down as I drew nearer to the sound.

"Not yet, there's more that needs to happen." I recognised Dean's voice within seconds. He always sounds slightly annoyed, a quality few managed as well as Dean.

"Things are getting tense." The second voice could have been anyone's. From behind the tree, it was hard to see either of them.

"I know that. But what can I do?" Dean asked as he slammed it hand down onto the small section of the red car I could see.

The waves of anger could be felt even from where I hid. Knowing this, I still creeped forward to get a better look. If I could just get close enough perhaps I'd be able to make out the second person.

Just behind the car, stood a wide brush covered with berries. Being the only large enough object I crunched behind it. My heart pumped in my ears as I listened to the conversation more, knowing it was wrong to ease drop. Plus my track record of not getting caught wasn't the cleanest.

"There is one option." I'd never seen the man who spoke before. He sat on the side of his car, casually smoking a cigarette whilst Dean paced.

"That's not an option." Dean stopped, facing the man directly. Whatever they were talking about, I could tell it was serious. Did my father know about this meeting? Surely if he did, the house, although being renovated, would be a better place to hold it? Then again, Jake would no doubt question it. And from the conversation the other night, there was business Robert didn't want Jake involved in.

"I'm just saying, it could achieve our goal quicker." The man appeared to be trying to reason with Dean.

"We're not there yet. And anyway, right now that'll make everything worse than better. Just keep yourselves and Jessie out of the way." Unlike before, Dean spoke calmly. As though the solution to his problem had just been solved. All the tension left his body.

"She might no-" Dean held up his hand, he cocked his ear slightly to the sky. His eyes flickered, looking for their target.

Step back deliberately, I gradually moved away, creating as much distance from Dean and this man as possible. I hid back behind the tree I was at moments ago, half watching as Dean approached the brush I'd been hiding behind.

Deciding it's time to go, I turned fully intending to run back to the house as soon as safe to do so. I got the feeling Dean wouldn't take it too favourably if he felt I'd heard his conversation.

With my eyes still firmly fixed on Dean, I took one step back.

Snap!

Two piercing grey eyes fixed onto mine. Not waiting around, my legs were clumsily running like they knew the danger if they stayed. Whether I ran for ten seconds, or ten minutes I had no idea. Time no longer existed. When I spotted a large tree, probably hundreds of years old, I took the opportunity to catch my breath.

Leaning against the tree, I allowed it to take my full weight. This was crazy, why was I running? Dean wouldn't hurt me, he'd just tell me off at most. So why did I feel so scared?

Even as I tried to calm my breathing, my heart was still beating rapidly in my chest, as if it knew something I didn't.

Then everything went silent, the birds stopped singing and the leaves no longer clapped together in the wind.

"Megan, I know you're here." His voice was low, barely a whisper.

Instinctive, I wrapped a hand around my mouth, forcing myself to breath as shallowly as possible as I pushed my back into the tree, barely able to stop the hiss of pain as a branch stabbed me. My eyes flicked from side to side, waiting for the moment Dean would come into view. I felt like I was back at the Cotton's playing hide and seek.

"I'm not going to hurt you. You can come out." I could hear him getting closer. If he didn't speak at all I would have thought I was alone. Maybe that was the point? He wanted me to know how far he was, but only at his discretion.

A figure to my left entered my outside line of vision. I didn't have time to check if it was Dean. Instead, I watchfully placed my feet, careful of any sticks, as I moved around the tree and out of sight.

I caught a glimpse of the person walking off into the opposite direction. This was my chance.

Just as my foot left the ground to run, I felt the cold sharp edge of what I believed to be a knife. I'd been caught.

Causally Dean pressed the knife-edge further into my throat, forcing me to back against him. My hands felt for something to rip onto, all I met were rock hard abs. I instantly regretted touching him, the simplest of actions, yet it sent all my nerves into overdrive.

"Why are you sneaking around the woods?" Dean snarled into my ear. He was so close, his warm breath sent shivers of pleasure down my spin.

"I was walking." I managed to blurt out.

"Why'd you run?" As he spoke, his hand spread across my stomach, pulling me deeper into his warmth. Here I stood, alone with Dean in the woods, with a knife to throat and all I could stupidly think about was how great his hands felt on my body. Subconsciously I leaned into him, to escape the blade I told myself. I shouldn't have liked the feeling, I should have been screaming! So why wasn't I? Apart from the obvious, I liked the way Dean's strong and capable body enclosed around me.

"Why do you have a knife to my throat?" I turned my head as much as the knife would allow. I could just about make out the outline of his cheek.

"I ask the questions" He growled, the sound was so animalistic my stomach flipped as he pushed the blade further into my neck. Dean didn't like people questioning him, noted. That only made me want to do it.

"You looked angry, I was... am scared." The truth left my lips before I could stop it. 

What was it about him that made me act this way? It had nothing to do with his gender, I'd spend years around the Cotton brothers. No, it was him. Dean had a way of making me feel something I'd never felt before.

The game was over, he'd won. And I hated it.

Dean confirmed my thoughts by abruptly releasing me, like my words burnt him. My once firm and steady legs failed me, as I fell to the floor. Dean did nothing to help, instead he looked at me, the way he normally looked at Jake. With disgust.

"Come spying on me again, and I'll slit your throat. Run." He didn't need to tell me twice. Without hesitating, I unscrambled myself from the floor and bolted until Dean and the trees were far behind me.

I'd heard running was meant to be relaxing, some even described it as a form of mediation. Yet all I felt was anger, mainly at myself. I hated how scared he made me feel of my emotions.

After living with the Cotton's I thought I'd gain some self-confidence, so why didn't I stand my ground? Of course Dean wouldn't actually hurt me, he worked for my family. The idea was absurd. Instead I'd done exactly what he said and ran away like a little girl.

The house came into view, and I'd never felt so relieved in my life. Slowing down, but still running, I entered the house only to hit a wall. Two strong hands gripped onto me, stopping me from falling to the floor.

I half feared I'd bumped into Dean again, until I heard Jakes voice.

"Wow, what's the rush little acorn?" My breathing was harsh, and my lungs burned. The only place I wanted to be was in my room.

"What's happened?" I tried to pull away but Jake wouldn't let me.

"Nothing."

"You sure? You look like you're about to pass out." Jake's voice was laced with concern.

"I went for a run." Jake's face said it all. He didn't believe that for a second, which hurt. I wasn't the slimmest person, but I could run. If I wanted to.

"A run?" A faint smirk appeared across his face. He was laughing at me.

The anger which had settled now raised again. Did everyone here just think of me as a joke? Someone who could be pulled and pushed without feeling.

"Yes a run, people do it for exercise." I barged past Jake as I spoke.

The hand he had wrapped around my arm tightened, biting into my flesh and refusing to let me go.

"What's wrong with you?" What was wrong with me?

"Nothing." I pulled my arm but Jake still wouldn't let go.

"What's that mark on your neck?" His eyes fixed onto the exact place Dean had handled the knife.

"Nothing!" With difficulty I ripping my arm out of his grasp, I ran as quickly as I could and shut the door. Pressing me back against it, I slide to the floor.

What was that in the woods? A question I'd spend the rest of the evening trying and failing to answer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101 0 6
After experiencing the ultimate tragedy, Grace finds herself uprooted from her familiar surroundings and forced to move across the country to live wi...
63K 3.6K 39
Could you run away from your destiny? Rick almost managed it. He could seem like the boy next door, but he had a big dark secret. He ran away from h...
21.8K 789 62
[WARNING 🚨; THIS STORY CONTAIN MATURE THEME . IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH SEXUAL REFERENCES ,SENCE,ABUSE,CURSING,ETC. YOU HAVE DEEN WARNED]. It's...
300K 2.9K 29
❝𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘭.❞ ♤ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐢...