This Love

Od jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... Viac

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings

14.4K 486 40
Od jowanderstruck

Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings

"Right behind you." she whispered cutting me off. I wanted to ask what she meant by that but her eyes were fixed to whoever was behind me. I turned my head and there he was looking fresh and handsome. In a sharp black suit and burgundy tie, Mr. Madrid stood tall with a serious expression on his face. Questions started popping inside my head. What could possibly a mall CEO do in the university canteen?

He got the entire room's attention. How could he not? He's in a suit in a canteen surrounded by students in T-shirt and jeans. That's something you don't see every day. I looked away thinking he didn't see me.

"Why is he here?" Kyla asked. "You don't think he's here bec-."

What? Because of me? That's impossible. "Probably 'coz of business." I remember him saying this morning that the university sends interns to his company.

My reason seemed to convince Kyla and we continued our lunch. I only bought crackers because I don't have the appetite to eat a proper meal. Besides, watching my best friend finished a full plate of rice, fried chicken and mixed vegetables repleted my stomach. She insisted on buying me lunch but I didn't really have the appetite. I feel really exhausted and in need of sleep. My two-hour snooze in Mr. Madrid's car wasn't enough. Ugh, thinking of my bed made me want to close my eyes and sleep.

"Miss Daniel." Mr. Madrid said. Shoot. Is he behind me? I swallowed when he walked right beside our table. I swallowed again, harder this time before standing up. I needed to raise my chin just to meet his eyes. The man was a giant.

"Madi. We're not at work so please call me Madi." I muttered before hearing Kyla clear her throat. "Um, Kyla this is my boss, Mr. Madrid. Mr. Madrid, this is my best friend, Kyla."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Domingo."

My eyes widened when Mr. Madrid used my friend's last name. "How did you know her-?" He interrupted me by leaning towards my ear.

"I plan to get to know you and everyone around you." he whispered. I stepped back. What did he mean by that? "Miss Domingo," he shifted his attention to Kyla. "I was hoping I could talk to your friend."

"About what?" I butted in but he ignored me waiting for Kyla's response.

"About what?" Kyla repeated.

"Something personal."

Kyla was silent for a while. She seemed to study Mr. Madrid before she spoke. "Sure but stay here in the canteen." Kyla said to him before looking at me. "I'll see you in class, bes."

"Wait. Ky-." I was interrupted by a hand on my shoulder. I turned to him as irritation started to grow on me. "What do you wanna talk about?"

"Can we sit?"

I forced a smile controlling myself from rolling my eyes. "Fine." We both sat and I noticed we caught the attention of several eyes. "So?"

"Lemme buy you some lunch."

"I just had lunch."

"You call crackers lunch? First, you tell me you don't eat breakfast then now you have crackers for lunch. Don't you eat a proper meal?"

"What does my diet have to do with you?"

"Starting from now, Miss Daniel. Everything about you has to do with me."

I gave him a confused look. I may be working for him but my personal life was none of his business especially my eating habits. I'm not picky with food but I've never been a big eater. I only eat when I'm hungry. I admit sometimes I forget to eat. I only have coffee for breakfast. Lunch was usually my only decent meal but today I don't have the appetite. I skipped dinner most of the time because I'd rather sleep than cook. Very bad eating habits. I know.

"You worry me, Miss Daniel." he said in a soft voice.

"Again, it's just Madi. Why?"

"Listen, I'm gonna be honest here. You strike me as someone who prefers it that way, straightforward and no bullshits." He was right so I remained silent and waited for him to continue. "There something about you. I can point out what it is yet but I want to find out. So like I said minutes ago, I plan to get to know you and everyone around you."

Shoot. What am I supposed to say to that? For the first time in weeks, I have nothing to ask him. I still have nothing to say when the bell rang. Wow. I was literally saved by the bell. Students came in and out of the canteen making it crowded. It was the time to escape.

"I have to go." Carrying my backpack, I got out of there as fast as I could, hoping to disappear from the crowd. Mr. Madrid was officially the weirdest man I know. He made me work for him to pay damages I didn't cause. And now he's suddenly interested in me somehow?

He showed up everywhere I go. The club, outside my house, the university. Is he like obsessed with me? Wow. Madi! Assuming much?

When I came to Lumiere, I did everything not to cross paths with Mr. Madrid. We had enough encounters for the day especially that weird lunch. I immediately volunteered when Ma'am Bridgit was looking for someone to pile up some clothes. I spent the entire two hours in the stockroom arranging blouses and dresses to be displayed tomorrow at the department store. The people in the stockroom were busier than those in the dept. store. Sales personnel came in and out with various orders.

By six o'clock, I changed into my Harlow uniform hidden under my stained jacket and tucked in my jeans. I planned on going to work earlier to request an early shift. I've been feeling sleepy the entire day because of last night and I was hoping to get more sleep tonight or should I say tomorrow morning.

I sling my backpack and met Drew and Mae outside the locker room. I pulled my bun and shook my hair as we headed to the exit. I'll just tie it again later at the club. My companions were talking about Mr. Madrid's absence in the mall today. He only showed up after lunch. At first, I thought what the big deal was if Mr. Madrid was out the whole morning. Then, they mentioned it was the first time he wasn't in the mall for the opening. For five years, he has never missed an opening. Not even a Sunday.

I thought I was workaholic. Mr. Madrid was the workaholic. He's in the mall seven days a week and God knows how many hours. He has the perfect attendance record, no lates and no absences. He has never cancelled an appointment and never missed a meeting.

I wondered how these two knew all of these things about Mr. Madrid and when I asked them, Drew's answer was quick and short.

"News travel fast."

"I saw him at my school today." I regret saying because Drew and Mae gave me questioning looks. If it is true that rumors travel fast Lumiere, I should give them a proper explanation. When did I become so chatty? I told them how Mr. Madrid and I crossed paths when he came from an appointment with the dean in one of the colleges at MIU. That explained why he was out in the morning. I skipped the unnecessary parts like our morning encounter and weird lunch conversation.

I thought our conversation has been channeled to a new direction when Drew started busying himself with his phone. Of course, I've never been so wrong. With excitement, he showed us his phone. My photo with Mr. Madrid this morning filled the screen. Shoot. The image was from the MIU Facebook account. How did he find it?

Drew was so sure the man was Mr. Madrid because he was the only person in the city who owned that kind of luxury car. Shoot. I'm wearing the jacket. I hoped they won't notice.

I made a lame excuse and hurriedly said goodbye before crossing the street. I left them with confused expression on their faces. If I continued walking with them, they might notice that girl from the photo was me because of the jacket. I hate the person who took that photo and made an absurd and fictitious story. I'm being more hateful every day. These all started when I met that prick. What have I done to be involved in these complicated situations?

I was about to hail a jeepney when a black SUV stopped in front of me. When I saw the model of the car, I knew who it was. I was expecting Mr. Madrid to come out of the car but a tall man wearing a cream polo and black pants came out from the driver's seat. Maybe it wasn't Mr. Madrid. There were other people who can afford a Lexus. Making steps to the side away from the SUV, I waved my hand for a jeep.

"Miss Daniel." The SUV driver called. How did he know me?

"Yes?"

"My name is David, Mr. Madrid's driver. He ordered me to take you to work."

Shoot. Of course, Mr. Madrid owned the goddamn Lexus. "No, thanks. I'm fine."

"Please Miss Daniel. Mr. Madrid would've driven you to work but he had a last-minute appointment. He was very clear when he said I must take you to Harlow. Or else..."

"Lemme guess. He'd fire you."

David nodded and I rolled my eyes in my mind. Mr. Madrid was one impulsive prick. The poor driver opened the door for me. I climbed in and my irritation was reduced. I mean how can I complain with a free ride and it was my third Lexus ride in less than twenty-four hours. I would feel very lucky if it wasn't all the courtesy of Mr. Madrid.

"Excuse me, Miss Daniel." David said while his eyes were fixed on the road.

"Yeah?"

"Your friend must've dropped this this morning." He handed over a dangling earring. I recognized the jewelry Lisa was wearing last night. That means David was the one who took my friends home.

"Yes, this is Lisa's. Thank you for taking my friends home safe."

"Just doing my job."

"How long have you been working for him?" I asked. David seemed to be only a few years older than me.

"Five years now, Ma'am."

"Please call me Madi." The word Ma'am made me feel old. "Five years? Really?" I said as if it was the most impossible thing in the world. David nodded. Just thinking about working for Mr. Madrid that long makes me want to kill myself. I bet the prick was a generous employer. He should be but to be able to follow his every whim will take a lot of patience. I consider myself patient but not with weird rich guys with sexy backs. "Wow. You must really love your job."

David simply smiled. He didn't say another word until we reached Harlow. I asked him to drop me off a few blocks away from the club. After explaining I don't want to catch any attention from my co-workers, he obliged. I knew he watched me enter the club before he left. I'm guessing his boss was specific when he was ordered to drive me to work.

The night flew fast and work was done before I knew it. I was relieved not to see any of my friends in the club. Yana, the receptionist called in sick tonight so Ma'am Hailey asked me to take her place. I must say I wanted her job. It was much lighter than serving food and drinks. I simply have to sit on the front and hand tickets for the club patrons. The place was still packed even if it was a weekday. Harlow was really doing well.

When I headed out of the club, I spotted the black SUV in the parking lot. David was standing by the hood of the car. He waved as he saw me. I walked towards his direction.

"Tell me you did not wait for me. It's two in the morning. What were you thinking?" I said to him in a disapproving tone but with a smile. He was about to respond when the backseat door opened. He rushed to hold the door open. Mr. Madrid, as usual, gracefully stepped out of the car. My smile vanished. Oh shoot. They both waited for me. What is wrong with this people?

Before I could even speak Mr. Madrid already started. "Technically, I am waiting for you." he said in a suggestive tone. David made a few steps away from us after Mr. Madrid glanced at him. "And it saddens me that you have more words to say to my driver than to me." Now, he's the one who sounded disapproving. I swallowed. Come on tongue! Speak! "And you're smiling at him. Do you like David, Miss Daniel?"

Irritation consumed me. "Seriously?" I rolled my eyes at him. "You're an asshole. You know that?"

"You told me once."

"I don't have time for you. I'm tired, I want to sleep. Thank you for all the Lexus rides especially for getting my friends home safe. I really appreciate it. Goodbye, Mr. Madrid." I turned around to walk away and...

"Madeleine." he called and holy crap. My name in his voice was mellifluous. Mellifluous, adjective, a sound that is sweet and smooth and pleasing to hear.

No one has used that to call me except for Kyla when she's extracting information or details from me. I've always pondered why my mother gave me that name. Madeleine. When I saw it in the dictionary it meant a small sponge cake covered with jam and coconut. Isn't that ridiculous? Who names their kid with food? That name never felt like me but Mr. Madrid said it as if it was the most beautiful name on the planet.

He took my moment of being frozen to walk in front of me. "I'm guessing nobody has ever called you that, Angel."

"And that too. When will you call me Madi?"

"When will you stop running away from me?"

"I didn't realize I was."

"Come on. You look really exhausted. I'll take you home."

I didn't want to argue anymore. He proved he was a decent guy last night by not laying a finger on me. One more free ride wouldn't hurt. Once David started the engine, Mr. Madrid asked me to nap in the car but I refused. He laughed when I told him why. I didn't want to wake up in the morning in his car again. A minute later, I was already yawning.

"It's a long drive. I don't think you can stay awake."

"You wanna bet?"

"Just saying." He shrugged. "I promise to wake you this time."

"Nah. Help me stay awake." I said shifting my seat to face him and offering my hand with the thumb pointed up. He was confused. "Come on. Let's thumb wrestle." Enthusiasm evident in my voice.

"Okay." He held out his hand and I grabbed it. His was so warm and soft. I admit touching him felt nice.

We played a couple of rounds of thumb wrestling. I didn't know if I was good or he was letting me win. It's been a quite a long time since I played it with anybody. Thumb wrestling was the only good childhood memory I had. Everything else was all too painful to remember. I immediately dismissed the thought. My past wasn't something I like thinking about.

"Are you letting me win?" I said to shift my thoughts. Our hands were still holding each other with playful thumbs trying to catch one another.

"You already did from the very first day." he replied but I had no idea what he meant.

"What?"

"Nothing. All right. Let's try this. Winner gets to ask the loser questions. Loser answers the questions no question asked." he stated emphasizing the last three words and it sounded too familiar. It was like my Gracie agreement with Kyla. Do I really ask a lot of questions? Is that why Kyla invented Gracie? Because I question everything? There must be something wrong with me.

"Game on." I squinted my eyes at him and shifting my seat. Of course, every inch of him was made of strong bones and muscles even his thumb. Thumb wrestling with him was a challenge. He was sitting comfortably with his legs crossed while I had to kneel on the seat before sitting on my heels. He even teased me by pretending to yawn. Big-headed prick. I thought.

Mr. Madrid won and I gave up when he caught my thumb for the tenth time. I put down my feet on the car floor. "Is this part of your plan to get to know me?"

"You can say that."

"Ask away."

"Can I ask you out to lunch tomorrow?"

Whoa. That's it? Not the kind of question I was expecting. "I can't. Kyla and I are meeting friends for lunch."

"Dinner then?" I turned my face to the window. I contemplated on what to say with my eyes filled with fast cars street lights. "You agreed to answer the question."

"Okay. One dinner and then that's it." Remembering how many times he invited me to eat a meal with him, I figured if I agreed to one maybe he'd stop asking me for another. He'll realize that there was nothing interesting in me. He'll find out that it was a waste of time planning to get to know me. That's right. Damn, I am so smart. Good thinking, Madi!

"Really?"

I nodded and he grinned. His dimples showing off from the first genuine smile I saw from him. Our eyes met and I realized how beautiful his lovely browns were. Shoot. I'm starting to give parts of his body nicknames. Sexy back, lovely browns?

"Excuse me, Sir, Ma'am." David spoke ending our ten-second eye to eye session. "We're here." David opened my door as Mr. Madrid got out from the other.

"Thank you, Mr. Madrid." I mumbled while opening the gate.

"It's always a pleasure, Miss Daniel." I rolled my eyes at how he addressed me. "What?"

"Nothing."

"I'll pick you up here tomorrow at six."

"Why can't we just meet to wherever we're eating?"

"It's a long drive."

"I have work at Harlow at eight."

"Can't you take a day off?" He wants me take a day off for him? Who is he, my BOYFRIEND? I shook my head. "Please?"

"You know you begging is refreshing." I said making him narrow his eyes. "I'll try to talk to my boss."

"Good."

"I'm not promising anything. I'll let you know. Good night? Good morning? Good mornight!"

He laughed. "Good mornight, Angel." I was smiling for no reason.

As I entered the gate and make my way up the stairs, I knew he was watching me. I can't help but feel conscious of how I walked. I made each step careful not to stumble or fall. How embarrassing would that be? When I looked back, he was already climbing in his car then David closed the door.

I quickly changed into my pajamas and lay on the bed. All of a sudden, I don't feel so tired anymore. I actually enjoyed talking to Mr. Madrid tonight. He was far from the egotistical CEO I thought he was. Shoot. I agreed to go to dinner with him. I'll think of him again when I wake up.

In my two-hour sleep, a pair of hazel eyes haunted me but I wasn't running.

YAY! You're still reading. That is awesome! How do you like this chapter? Photo of Madi's best friend, Kyla on top.

Read on...

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.3M 34.3K 36
Skylar Pearl Gray is a single mom, she and her almost one year old son Nico live in New York. Two years after heartbreak she is independent and confi...
33 5 11
Jessie a 21 year old University student, lost her boyfriend in an accident. She gets dream everytime about her boyfriend. Is that a dream or it is an...
2.5M 44.1K 29
When the "Sexiest Man Alive" reneges on his book contract, no-nonsense editor Erin Andersen is sent to rein him in. But after meeting Stephen Spence...
1.6K 232 52
After being sheltered for most of her life, Cora Weber is no longer welcome in her parents home. Determined, Naïve and complete lost. Cora finds a ne...