Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses

His face relaxed as he saw me. "Angel." he repeated.

"Could you guys leave us for a minute?" I requested to my friends.

"Are you sure?" Kyla asked while scowling at him. I nodded.

"We'll be right inside if you need us." Rico informed and I nodded again.

He walked closer and reached out for me but I stepped back. One touch from him will break me more. What do I say first?

His face began to fall as he studied me from head to toe. "What is going on? Why are you so pale? And your eyes. Are you sick?"

You make me sick! I wanted to say but couldn't. Days before this whole he-got-engaged bullshit, I'd say he looked genuinely concerned and I'd believe it. Now, looking at him just made me doubt every word he said, every feeling I felt.

He made me want to yell at him. I wanted him to tell me everything. Even if I already knew, I want him to tell me. Maybe somehow, it'd make me feel less stupid.

"I've been calling you since last night. I got back early. I wanted to see you."

At least he was less of a liar today.

"Why are they hiding you from me? Why did they say I can't see you? Don't you wanna see me? Madi, please. Answer me." he begged desperately.

"Let's break up."

There. I said it. The words came out so cold, my whole body shivered. I felt swords stabbing my heart and then slowly pulling out. It hurts so damn much. I wanted to burst in tears.

"What?"

"You heard me. I wanna break up."I managed to say in a straight voice.

"No!" he exclaimed quickly clenching his fists on his side.

"I wasn't asking. I'm telling you. We're done. I'm done." My monotonous voice was making him sweat. He was so confused. I wasn't sure if he was acting stupid or he was making me look stupid.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Was it fun?" It was my turn to throw him questions. "How long do you plan on doing it? Most importantly, what did you get from it?"

"What the hell is 'it'?"

"Playing with me around your fingers, making me fall so hard I wouldn't be able to stand again or just watching me make a fool of myself. Call it whatever you want."

"Madi, you're not making any sense."

Oh my god. He really thinks I was that foolish. "Leave now. Stay the hell away from me. I never wanna see again."

He looked too stunned of my words to speak. I was quick to whirl around and got inside the house. I stopped mid-step and turned my head making sure I was looking straight at his hazel browns. "Congratulations on your engagement."

*****

I broke down into tears as soon as I locked the doors close. Everything was just too much. I couldn't breathe. I felt weak and broken and empty.

"Madi!" He banged on the doors. "Please open the door. Lemme explain!" His banging became louder. I covered my ears hoping he'd just go away. "Angel, please. I can explain everything."

I almost wanted to laugh. Explain what? Why he was getting engaged to another woman while we're together?

The banging stopped and I heard Rico threatening to call the police if he won't leave.