Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates

"Can I get you a drink?" Mr. Madrid asked as he slid on the stool beside.

All along I thought he already left. The band's set just finished a few minutes ago and I wanted to get some beer to help me sleep. Rico and the others were loading the equipment in Matt's pick-up.

We had great sets tonight. The mellow tune and the rapping were a breath of fresh air said the manager. I definitely enjoyed Matt's rapping. His song choices were a good start if he wanted to pursue it.

The night was almost perfect. Almost.

I had one tiny distraction. Him.

After our first encounter in weeks outside the ladies' room, he didn't show his face again. I even felt relieved thinking he was gone. Obviously, he wasn't.

I raised my bottle to show how stupid his question was because it was clear that I already have a drink.

"How are you, Madi?" he asked so casually.

It was the most stupid thing you can ask someone whose heart you broke into pieces. I wanted to tell him that but I kept my mouth shut.

"You're a singer now."

Silence. That's what I plan to give him. I was done talking to him for the night. I was exhausted and arguing with him wasn't in my To Do list tonight.

The bartender gave him his drink. "Never did I imagine us drinking like this in a bar. We're drinking buddies now." he commented when we tipped our heads back at the same time.

Never did I imagine us miserably drinking in the bar.

"You look more beautiful you know. Although I miss your long hair already."

I gave him a poker face. What does he expect me to say?

"I get it. You're giving me the silent treatment. You're tired, aren't you?"

How the hell did he know?

"I remember you'd rather walk away or stay quiet when you're tired and you don't wanna argue with me." he answered my unspoken question. He was so on point, he deserved the slow clap.

"Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"Why you did what you did." I answered. Maybe the reason I couldn't move on was because I never knew why he played me. "Why you played me. Why you lied to me. Why you broke my heart."

"I kept things from you, yes. But I never played you, Madi. I never lied to you. Everything I told you, everything I felt for you were true. Everything between us was real."

"Then tell me why suddenly you're getting married!" My hands hit the table startling the bartender. I mumbled an apology and tried to gain back my composure. The alcohol was probably getting in to me.

"If I tell you now, you wouldn't look at me the same way again. You would hate me more than you already do."

"Then just make up something! Lie to me. Make some lame excuse. I wanna move on! Just lemme move on." I clenched my fists in rage. He told me before he could explain and now that I was ready to hear him out, he couldn't.

"I don't want you to move on."

"You are selfish."

"When it comes to you, yes I'm selfish. I told you I want you back."

We were just running in circles. He wanted me back. I didn't want to want him back. Deep inside me, I know I still love him but we can't be together if I don't trust him. Love isn't enough.