Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends

There were a lot of things I didn't understand about what was going on. It was chaos that's for sure. People were rushing everywhere. A short woman in a black cocktail dress was yelling every time she passed by us. It wouldn't be as distracting if she wasn't wearing a lapel already.

"I love fashion shows." Matt elbowed Caleb when two girls in bikinis walked in front of us. "We should do more fashion shows, man!" He turned to Rico who only rolled his eyes at him.

Rico wasn't as excited as Matt and I knew I had something to do with it. Earlier this week, I told him that Michael and I were back together and we're trying to work things out. He didn't say anything but he smiled and embraced me like it was the last time he'd wrap me in his arms. I knew I hurt him again but I wanted to be honest with him. He has been an amazing best friend to me even if I was a terrible one. I owe him my honesty.

It was the night of Michaela's first fashion show where the band was playing. She was so sweet giving each of us a plus for one so we were able to invite the girls and Lucas' girlfriend. Her family will all be present tonight. I was feeling excited in seeing them again. They have been nothing but kind to me.

Michael and I agreed to meet here even if he insisted on going together. I didn't regret my decision though. There was a red carpet by the entrance with a dozen of photographers and a couple of reporters. If they see me and Michael together, there would be a bigger chaos than this backstage.

"What?!" Michaela exclaimed at the side catching our attention. "Are they sending replacements?" she asked the yelling woman with lapel who simply shook her head. "Oh my god. This can't be happening!"

"Hey," I interrupted. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, Madi! Three of my models are in the hospital for food poisoning and their agency can't send replacements. Where in the world will I find three models at this hour?"

I had no idea what to say.

"How 'bout those three?" Rico butted in as he looked behind us. Michaela and I turned around to see who he was referring to.

"Perfect." I agreed as Kyla, Lisa and Ali marched in the backstage.

"Absolutely!" Michaela clapped her hands in delight.

"Absolutely not!" Kyla exclaimed as Michaela and I tried to explain the situation to them.

"I'm in." Lisa said.

"Of course you are." she snorted at Lisa who simply smirked.

"I don't mind being in it too." Ali smiled at Michaela who clapped her hands immediately after the two agreed. Then, two people dragged the girls into the dressing room.

I tried to convince Kyla but she seemed decided. She was about to make another protest but when she saw a familiar man, she shut her mouth. It was our research professor that her made her quiet.

"Mr. Simeon? What are you doing here?" I asked.

Kyla held my shoulders and made me face her. "Madi, there's something I need to tell you. H-."

"He's our cousin." Michael's voice came from behind us. "Hi, angel." He said to me sweetly before turning to Mr. Simeon. "How's college teaching treating you?"

"Just fine, Mike." Mr. Simeon replied.

I wanted to ask Kyla what she was about to tell me but Michaela and some lady has taken her to where my other friends were. She has been MIA recently and I wondered if it has something to do with that. She has always been transparent so I'm sure she's keeping something from me by the way she's acting.

*****

Mr. Simeon wasn't the only familiar person I saw at the show backstage. Sam and Seth were there with their older brother who turned out to be Liam. I remembered the twins arguing about Liam's ex-girlfriend. It took me only a second to realize that they were referring to Marga. I wondered what happened to them but it wasn't my business so I didn't ask. Besides, it's not like I was close with them. Marga and I never had the coffee she wanted and Liam seemed like a private man like Michael.

"It's good to see you still with Michael." Liam said while we both queued for the toilet. The backstage only had one for each gender with the doors facing each other.

The way he said it was weird. I had to ask, "What do you mean?"

"He got engaged to someone else and you two seem okay."

"I left but I came back."

I knew he needed no further explanation. "I wish she would come back too."

"What happened to you guys?" I asked unconsciously. "Okay you don't have to answer that. At least not in details."

"She left me. She thought I was still in love with my first love."

"Are you? Oh my god! I'm so sorry. I'm not usually this inquisitive." I waved my hands gesturing him not to bother answering and turned around.

"I love her but she left me before I let her know. Now it's too late and she might be gone forever." he answered anyway.

"You really believe that? I mean Michael kidnapped me and now we're back together."

"He did?" He laughed and I nodded.

"Look, I'm not saying you should do the same because I was pissed as hell with Michael when he did that. What I'm trying to say is if you want her back then get her back. If there's a will, there's a way. Find that way and if you're lucky, she'll give you a second chance."

"Thanks. Michael sure is lucky to have you. If only I wasn't already in love, I'd ask you out." We both laughed.

"Good thing you already are." Michael's voice cut off our laughter. "Stop flirting with my girlfriend, Liam." he warned making me roll my eyes. Liam simply smirked and entered the male toilet.

"He wasn't flirting, you prick." I elbowed him and he winced exaggeratedly.

"Of course he is! He just said he want to ask you out!" he exclaimed still rubbing to where I hit him.

"The guy is in love with Marga!"

"Are you disappointed?"

Unbelievable! "Are you jealous?"

"Of course, I am! No other guy can flirt with you except me. I hate being jealous. It's frustrating to have all these guys wanting you. The band guy, that reckless driver and now the playboy of the year."

Liam's a playboy? Why does he have names for all my guy friends?

"Rico and Sean are my friends and I'm not going to stop talking to them just because you're unreasonably jealous. They know that all I could give them is friendship because I already gave you my heart. They know I belong to someone else. They know I love you."

"Madeleine,"

"Yes, Michael. Obviously, I still love you despite everything that happened. I, Madeleine Daniel is still madly and insanely in love with you. I am your Angel. Always have and always will be. No matter what happens now, I'm not going to leave you. I'm not gonna let you go either. So that ogre can say whatever she wants but you are mine." I caught my breath as I talked too fast.

I realized the whole Cassandra Mortel shenanigan was still bothering me. Two nights ago, we accidentally watched this talk show with her as guest. She was flaunting to everyone her engagement ring as photos of her and Michael flashed on the screen.

"What an ogre!" Kyla commented.

Michael called in the middle of the show. He was in a panic by the sound of his voice. He was asking me where I was and what I was doing. When I told him I was watching TV, he immediately knew I saw the great show Cassandra put up on national television.  He apologized even if I told him I wasn't upset. At least not at him. The woman was being crazy telling everybody how much she and Michael love each other. Barf!

"Oh my possessive Angel, how do I love without you?" Suddenly, he grabbed my left hand and pulled me into an embrace.

There it was again. That feeling.

Home.