Take Your Time

By ccj-11

What happens when you are in high school trying to figure out who you are and what your purpose in the world... More

Take Your Time
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Endgame

Prologue

17.1K 371 44
By ccj-11

Caitlin's POV

"Call us when you get there." Both of my moms say as they squeeze me tightly.

Trying my hardest not to suffocate I wiggle myself out of their arms. "I will only be gone for a week. You two act like I'm going off to college!"

"Don't get me started thinking about that!" Momma J clinches her heart. "You are growing up too fast. I need these next two years to slow down."

Oh, here comes the water works. "Were you two like this when Logan left for football camp? Do I need to remind you he actually graduates this year plus he is gone a week longer than me."

"You are about to give her a panic attack." Momma P scolds me. "Here is some extra cash. Please don't make us regret letting you go to this camp. I don't want to get a call at five in the morning that you snuck out." I store the money in my bag with a giant smile.

"Trust me." I preach. "I am there for one reason only and that's to get better so I can make the soccer team."

I give them one last hug before the shuttle that I will be on for the next four hours takes off. Again, I had to wiggle my way out of their embrace. I get on the bus and take the window seat.

I stick my mouth to the window making faces at them, trying to help Momma J not cry as much but it wasn't working. Once they were out of sight it hit me that this is the first time, I'll be without them for an extended time. I lift my hood from my sweatshirt over my head as I lean my head on the window while tears are filling my eyes. I can do this.

In a blink of an eye, it felt like I was being woken up by a stranger. I jump to my feet and grab my bag. I walk off the bus and take in the scene. Most kids are getting dropped off by their parents. I walk towards a tent that the letter I received in the mail instructed me to go to first thing.

"Name?" A lady asks.

"Caitlin Chancellor." I say in an almost timid voice which is unlike me.

She searches through her paper and hands me a card. "Follow the tents through. You will get your practice gear and uniform for the games on the last day. Also, on the card it tells you what cabin you will be in."

I nod and continue through the tents. When they handed me my uniform, I was happy that the number I requested was what I got. Number 4.

I got to the cabin that was assigned to me to see that I was the last one here. The bottom bunk was the last available bunk. I walk over to the empty bunk and put my stuff down. I sit on my bed and grab my phone to shoot a text to let my parents know I'm here.

Caitlin: I made it.

Momma J & Momma P: Great! We hope you have the time of your life. We love you.

Caitlin: I love you both too.

"What's your name?" I look up to see a tan girl standing in front of me.

"I'm Caitlin." I introduce myself. "And you are?"

She looks me up and down even though I'm still sitting. "Caitlin? I'm Kara. I'm a senior at a school here in Seattle. What grade are you in?"

"I'll be a junior this year." She stares at me waiting for more information. "I go to West Valley in Spokane."

The girl's head tilts to the side. "I could have sworn someone else said that they are going there this year."

"Who?" All my teammates told me they weren't coming to this camp. They said that it was too far.

She shrugs her shoulders. "I don't remember. Maybe she said another school. Doesn't Spokane have like three high schools in town?"

"Yeah..." I am a little distracted and curious about someone here who might be going to my school next year. Which means that they would be a new student. "You sure you don't remember?"

"I'm positive." The girl says. "But there is a bonfire soon, so all the campers can be acquainted. They don't tell you this, but tomorrow morning we will be getting a wakeup call to have a warm up run through the woods. Basically, they are tricking you to stay up late so they can make you suffer tomorrow. Let this be your fair warning."

She walks away and I look down at what I'm wearing. I debate whether I should change. I keep my shorts on and decide to put on a long sleeve since it's a bit cooler out here at night.

It wasn't long until I found my way to the bonfire. Everyone looks like they know someone here and I feel a little left out. Most of the girls here were taking part singing with a girl who is playing a guitar. I decided to venture off from the area and explore.

I walk towards the lake and notice someone sitting on the dock. Deciding if I should leave them alone or not, I find my feet moving towards the dock. "Are you not into the whole campfire singing either?" I ask as I approach her, causing her to turn her head.

The moonlight was bouncing off the water causing her face to glow. I couldn't get the best description but her eyes sure as hell stuck out. "I needed a breather. I came over here to clear my head."

"I will leave you alone." I tell her as I start to backtrack.

"No, don't." She stands up and gestures to her. "I don't mind company unless you start singing."

I walk over to her, and we both sit. "I'm tone deaf, so you don't have to worry about me singing."

"Well in that case I might have to worry if you start singing." She lets off a light giggle. "So, what's your name?"

"I'm Caitlin." I look from the water to her. "You?"

The girl with the pretty eyes turned to me. "I'm Peyton. What's your last name if you don't mind me asking?"

Why would she need to know that? "Chancellor."

"Why don't you say it with pride?"

I shrug. "Because then I have to go into why my last name is that and not Hartley nor Gregory."

This causes her to smirk with an arched brow. "Very interesting." She nods to the water. "Do you want to go for a swim?"

My eyes go wide. "Now? Wouldn't we get in trouble?"

"Maybe... Maybe not."

Peyton takes her shoes and socks off. Her hands go to the bottom of her shirt and start lifting. I try to divert my eyes. She throws her shirt on her shoes and slides into the water with no hesitation.

"You are crazy!"

She goes underwater and pops back up. "You call it crazy. I call it living."

I look behind me and realize there is no way anyone will see us unless we get loud. "Is it warm?"

"Of course."

I stand up and kick my shoes and socks off. I take my long sleeve off and jump in. My body instantly freezes. I bring my head above water and look towards Peyton. "You liar! It's freezing."

"My bad." I could hear the amusement in her voice. "Does that mean you hate me now?"

I went to speak when I felt her hands touch my hips underwater causing me to choke on my words. "I uh..."

"Sorry." She quickly removes her hands.

I try to play it off the best I can. "Sorry my body is in shock from the cold. Someone told me it was warm." I decided to tease her.

"It's not as bad as you make it seem. Stop being a pansy." She takes her hand and pushes water in my face.

I wipe the hair out of my eyes and lunge towards her. "This is war."

I push the top of her head sending her underwater. I feel a strong grip on my wrist pulling my hands off her head. Peyton pops up keeping hold of her grip which keeps us remarkably close together.

"Are you trying to drown me?" She questions. "I think I drank half of this lake."

I roll my eyes. "A little dramatic, are we? You knew it was coming. You aren't as innocent as you try to be."

"Trust me, I never said I was innocent." She lets go of my wrist. "We should probably get out though. Word on the street is we need to get up early and I'm kind of tired. Before coming here, I have been spending all my time packing my house up with my dad."

Both of us are bobbing in the water and I couldn't help but ask more questions. "Are your parents divorce?"

She shakes her head and swims to the dock. I watched her climb out and took that as my cue to get out as well, even though we literally just got in. She rings out her hair and I do the same. "My mom died so it's just me and my father."

I feel like an ass for bringing it up. "I'm sorry. I should know when to keep my mouth shut."

"Don't beat yourself up." She grabs her shirt and hands me mine. "It was the end of the school year when it happened. She was sick for a long time and her body was too weak"

I slip my shirt on and look back at her. "How is it that you are so calm to talk about this? If I was in your shoes and I lost a parent recently, I would be in tears."

"Because I know she loves me and even with her gone I still feel the love. My mom knew she was dying. She ended up writing me tons of letters for the future. There are letters when I need cheering up or when I know I made a mistake. She has letters for future birthdays. Like I said I know she loves me, and I understood it was her time. It hurts like hell, but she made sure I would be okay."

Her mom should have won mother of the year. "Your mom sounds like an amazing person." I was careful on how I worded that.

"Yes, she is." Peyton smiles widely. "So, what about your parents? Are your mom and dad still together?"

I look down at the dock. "I don't have a dad."

"Shit I'm sorry. I assumed that when you said parents that meant you have both still."

I look up and I'm met with apologetic eyes. "I do have both parents. I have two moms."

"Oh sweet!" She says it is so natural. "Is that what you were talking about with the whole last name thing?"

I nod. "Yeah, it's kind of complicated."

"I'm sure I could follow along if you care to explain." Peyton mentions as we head towards the fire.

I don't usually tell people the reasoning behind why my brother, and I have Chancellor as our last name. Most people don't realize that Chancellor is technically not my bloodline.

"Jordyn, one of my moms, her last name is Chancellor. Her senior year of high school she found out her mom had an affair that led her to be pregnant with her. Which meant that her last name by blood is Hartley. My other mom, Paige, her last name was Gregory before she married Jordyn. It seemed logical that they would take Gregory as their last name, but Momma P's dad committed suicide in front of her while she was a senior in high school and I guess having that last name was too difficult for her. Momma J never changed her last name to Hartley even though she has a great relationship with her real dad now. So, that is where the Chancellor comes from."

I watch her as she processes the information. "Well for what it's worth, I like Caitlin Chancellor. It rings well."

I lean towards her bumping my shoulder into her. "Well thanks. I'd say your name has a nice ring, but I have no clue what your last name is."

"I could make you wait. It would force you to see me again after tonight considering our last names are on all our gear but..." She comes to a stop and looks at me with a deep gaze. "I'm Peyton James."

"Well, it was nice meeting you." I tell her sincerely. "Maybe I'll see you around?"

She takes a step closer and wraps her arms around me. "I hope so." She lets go and flashes me a smile. "Anytime you need someone to take your time while you're here, come and find me. Who knows, maybe I'll already be looking for you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

543 16 29
Our parent's made life look easy. They made love look easy. What they didnt make look easy? Was High School. They didn't tell us High School could te...
17.7K 843 31
Mikayla is used to working hard. As the only person in her house, she works multiple jobs to pay the bills and put food in the cupboards. Having no f...
253K 8.4K 16
Two girls, two different walks of life, one love story. Dakota Springson was a princess. Not an actual princess, but you know the type. Rich parents...
191 47 23
Life of a teenager is never easy...whether dealing with school or other things..finding out who you are...your dream. But along the way, Emily may no...