A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

Galing kay _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... Higit pa

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~17~ A Loose Tongue
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~30~ Kynareth's Wrath

804 28 64
Galing kay _Sibylline_

I was explaining some AAD lore to my bestie, and when I got to Allesandro, he just said, "Death to the Dilf."

He also called Mansi and Alvar, "Girlboss and her Manwife."

I mean... he isn't wrong...

Anyway, enjoy. This chapter was a BITCH to write.

Unedited.

~

"So do you have names picked out?!" Della asked, her hands on Mansi's baby bump.

"We don't know the gender, and we both agreed on something gender nuetral. I'm picking out Wampanoag names while he picks out Elven names."

"You should name the girl Alden Jr." Alden joked from the kitchen.

"Good luck getting that past Alvar. Right Ruy?" Mansi looked over her shoulder, smiling at what they assumed was an inside joke.

But Ruy wasn't there.

"Ruy?" Mansi straightened, quickly getting to her feet, "Where is he?"

Alden peeked out from the kitchen, shrugging.

"I thought he was with you!"

Mansi checked the bathrooms and bedrooms, balancing a hand on her baby bump as she entered Sofia and the triplets' room. Sofia was bouncing from bed to bed, Lex and Rex darting after her. Bex, who had found Sophie's iPod she brought, watched an old video of Sophie practicing ballet with her human sister.

"Whatcha looking at, Bex?" Mansi asked, leaning down to watch the tiny screen.

"This is what dancing is like?"

"Uh, yes? There are many different types of dancing. Amalia does contempory and ballet. At least she did."

"The elves just kinda shimmy to a bunch of awkward compositions." Bex's eyes were shining, "This is beautiful. Both humans and Vatarians practice this?"

"I think the gnomes do ballet as well."

"Do you think Sophie will teach me?"

"It's been a few years, and she doesn't like dancing anymore. It's... hard for her to dance these days. But you should ask her. The worst she can say is no." Mansi blinked, "I'm sorry, I completely forgot why I came in here. Have you seen Ruy?"

"He said he is gonna go take a nap in his room up in the attic."

Mansi patted Bex's head before trekking towards Ruy's room, knocking on the creaky door.

"Ruy? I know you are moping because Sophie didn't allow you to go on the mission. But you should come down! We're about to play scrabble downstairs- wow, I haven't even given birth yet and I sound like a mom. Since when do I play scrabble?"

Mansi crossed her arms when Ruy didn't respond.

"Ruy, I know you're awake. You snore like a pig whenever you nap in the middle of the day."

Silence.

Mansi opened the door just a smidge, peeking in.

Ruy's window was open, the wind blowing the curtains into the room. Gasping, Mansi ran to the windowsill, banging her fists against it. Ruy was nowhere in sight.

"Ruy, you absolute moron!"

Keefe was babbling to Nour, who was actually enjoying his conversation. Sophie never would've guessed that they would get along so well. Nour was giving short, clipped answers but kept giving a small smile whenever Keefe asked anything.

"This is more than Nour has spoke in his entire life." Alvar whispered to his Mentore.

"Tell me about it."

They approached the base, the roaring of the waterfall drowning them out.

Maha interwove her hand into Sophie's, "What's the plan, boss?"

Tying her hair back, she went over her plan.

They weren't exactly fans of it, but eventually, everyone agreed. They all were to split up, different parties made for their entrances. The first group was Nour, Dex, Maha, and Keefe. Nour would disguise each of them and walk through the soldier's gate. Alexios, Alvar, and Linh would sneak through the thick dark jungle with her brother's light powers and use Linh's hydrokineses to get through the moat surrounding the lower part of the base. Wylie, Marrella, and Sophie would attempt the waterfall entrance they used years ago. Biana and Linh would play scouts on the outer perimeter.

Heavy rain thundered down on their heads, the thick and muggy African forest not making it easier on them.

Sophie, Marella, and Wylie approached the waterfall, nostalgia washing over the former moonlark.

"You okay?" Wylie asked.

"Y-Yeah." Sophie took a deep breath, reaching down into the pool of the waterfall.

"Shit, it is all the way at the bottom again."

"What is?''

"The key."

Sophie tied up her hair, swinging her arms as she readied for the cool water. She remembered this vividly.

"Wait, Sophie, what are you doing?!" Sophie broke the foaming water of the waterfall's pool, pulling herself deeper. The pressure pressed on her head, bubbles escaping her nose. The moss covering the rocks Sophie used to vault herself lower, getting stuck beneath her fingernails. Gritting her teeth, as she reached out for the key. The glowing was brighter and brighter, beginning to blind her.

This didn't happen last time.

The key flashed her with a searing blast of light, her hands scrambling for the rocks as she began to swim back for the surface.

Sophie broke the surface, gasping for air.

"What happened?!" Marrella insisted, watching as Sophie pulled herself back on land without the key.

"I wasn't allowed to get it. It blinded me before I could grab it." She gasped, wringing out her wet hair.

Wylie and Marrella turned to the waterfall, trying to figure out how it worked from what they were told.

"The door unlocks from a code written in Inalian glyphs. I think Le- I mean, Mr. Forkle, made it as a test for me. To see if I could subconsiously remember Inalia in anyway. It was an old Spartan saying before you would cross a threshold of water, thanking the water bearer." Sophie gestured to the glowing beneath the water, "But you need the key to do all of that. The bridge won't drop from behind the waterfall without it. Our part of the plan is reliant on entering through the front entrance, we won't be able to help the others if we aren't inside on time-"

"What's that?" Wylie was the first to feel it. The shaking and crackling beneath them.

"An earthquake?" Marrella proposed.

The earth beneath Sophie's feet cracked, "I don't think so."

The earth opened beneath them, eating the three of them up like a monster waiting for a meal.

Sophie couldn't get out a scream, just shuddering gasps of fear as the three of them landed on a slick rock slide the went deep and deeper into the earth. The rocks above them began rumbling, shaking debris and dust atop their heads.

Sophie blinked, and she couldn't see past her knees through all of the dust and grime.

"Marrella? Sophie? Where are you guys-" Wylie's voice tapered off to a scream that got quieter and quieter.

Then Marrella's scream dropped beneath them.

The slide beneath Sophie disappeared, dropping Sophie into a free fall. Her hair whipped around her head as she grappled for some version of stability.

She didn't see the wooden structure until it was too late, crashing into it and blacking out.

"What are we doing again?" Biana whispered to Tam, who gently held her hand as they navigated the dark woods.

"Scouting for any outward signs of Fitz. We don't know where in Lumangwe he is being held, and it seems the Neverseen hae figured out the base pretty well. Apparently Forkle suspected it used to belond to the Avriman Vatarians before it was abandoned and occupied by the Blackswan. Avrimans apparently didn't mess around with their defense systems. We need to be careful." The minute that word exited his lips, Tam's foot snagged on an invisible thread, bright red spotlights shining on them hidden in the trees.

"You were saying?" Biana replied sarcastically.

Tam didn't get to retort before a metal net dropped from the branches and zapped the two elves on its way down.

"Hello? Can anyone hear me?" Nour pressed, his minyama cracked open. Keefe, Maha, and Dex also waited for a response on their devices, following Nour as he led further in.

"We have gotten in. Can anyone else confirm their positions?" Nour cursed as they were met with more static.

"Do you think they are okay?" Keefe asked, grabbing Nour's shoulder.

"We can only hope. We should move forward. We need to find where Fitz and Maria are being held-" Nour jerked as Keefe's hand was yanked away from his shoulder, his nails scraping against the metal plate protecting his shoulder. The sounds of Dex and Maha scuffling their feet and pacing were gone too.

"Keefe!" Nour spun on his heel, his blades flying out from his gauntlets. But two soldiers grabbed his arms, yanking them behind his back as they quickly shoved a cloth over his mouth and nose.

Alexios and Linh made casual conversation as they went further and further down the halls, trying to keep the feeling light. Alvar was silent, tapping nervously against his thigh. He couldn't stop worrying about his brother.

"I'm telling you! Amalia had pumpkin puree all over her face and was running around the villa, refusing to let Uncle Allesandro clean her up! She smelt like pumpkin for weeks becuase Uncle Allesandro couldn't get all of the pumpkin out of her hair."

Linh giggled, trying to keep the noise to a minimum, "So you mean to tell me that Sophie never did listen to what she was told?! Even when she was a little toddler?"

Alexios laughed, "It runs in the family. One time, Maria wanted to use Uncle Allesandro to mock up a new outfit for a client. He climbed the walls and hid out on the roof for two days because he didn't want to do it! I also used to run full speed down the hills of the orchards whenever we had picnics, much to my poor mother's chagrin. I eventually tripped on a rock and knocked out my two front teeth and got this scar. But I still do it to this day. I always beat Amalia to the bottom of the hills. " Alexios leaned down and ran a finger over the scar going through his eyebrow. Linh laughed, running a finger over the scar. Alexios stiffened beneath her fingers, looking down at her. Alvar peeked from behind them, feeling as if he were interrupting something.

Linh pulled away, smiling as she continued down the halls, "My brother and I were always pretty well behaved- at least until I destroyed Atlantis.. But even that wasn't enough for my parents."

"Well, my mom kinda collects kids like they are vintage coins. She has been mothering all of the Inner Circle since we were little babies. If you even need a stand in mom, Maria Morretti is the place to go. She always gives the best hugs, especially when you are upset." Alexios went quiet, his hands shoved in his pockets.

Linh gently placed a hand on his back, "Hey, we are here to get her back. If she is anything like you and Sophie, she'll be fine."

"My mother is a fighter. Always been the strongest out of everyone. But she has been gone for a long time, Linh. I'm worried. I don't think I can go on without her. Nor can my other mother."

Linh stopped, her gentle hand on Alexios' back gripping the fabric in fear. Alvar cursed, as still like a deer in headlights.

A woman was hunched over in a cell, her head between her legs. One was draped over her matted dark head, the other tucked close to her chest.

"Mom!" Alexios cried, scrambling over his own feet to the cell.

Maria slowly lifted her head, squinting to adjust to the growing figure. Her new brown irises glinted as her son shone a gentle light in his palms. Alexios' hands wrapped around the bars, smiling weakly.

"Mom, you're okay." He hasn't even noticed the eyes and arm yet.

Maria squared her shoulder, gritting her teeth, "I told you. I won't fall for these illusions."

Alexios's face fell, "What?"

Maria sprung to her feet, stomping across the cell. Linh and Alexios only now noticed her missing arm. Alexios stared in blood-draining shock, not realizing his mother was right in front of him until she grabbed the front of his robes.

"None of you will trick me- None of you have even gotten his face right! My son has freckles and silver streaks in his eyes... and a scar through his brow." Maria faltered as her eyes traced over Alexios's scar. Then the faint freckles that dotted his nose and cheeks, the same ones on her and Sophie's face. And finally, his eyes.

"M-Mom. Your eyes... your arm-"

"My boy!" Maria flung her arm through the cell bars, wrapping it around Alexios's neck. Maria sobbed through the bars, pulling him closer and closer. Alexios's lip quivered, his massive arms unable to fit through the bars to hug her back.

Linh scrambled to the lock, pulling out one of Dex's gadgets and securing it around the lock. It fizzled and whistled like a train whistle, popping off the lock with a satisfying sizzle. Alexios stepped around Linh and barged through the door, wrapping his arms around his mother like a bear, silent tears running down his cheeks.

Maria was the first to pull away, her hands gently clamped on her son's shoulders, "How did you-"

"Fitz managed to get through to Sophie. He gave her enough information for us to track down a location." Alvar answered. Alvar's fear grew when he noticed Fitz wasn't in the cell with Maria.

Maria's face dropped, "Fitz! They dragged him somewhere- up those stairs! We have to get to him- where is your sister, we can use her telepathy."

"We all split up to get into the base easier. Linh and I were only able to get in through the moat around the base since she is a hydrokinetic." Maria's eyes settled on Linh, and the girl straightened.

Maria wasn't like Alexios and Sophie, who were loose blond and caramel curls with big smiles. Maria's hair was grey and a dark brown, her newly brown eyes cutting into Linh like glass. But she pulled a smile, gliding over and giving Linh a tight hug.

"Thank you for finding me." She breathed.

She lead them up the stairs, her feet surprisingly swift.

"This is where I saw them take Fitz. I'm clearly in no condition to fight, but I can still help one way or another."

"Mom, slow down. Why are your eyes brown? And why do you have one arm-"

"Listen to your son, Maria." A voice hissed from the hallway in front of them.

Vespera stepped into the light, staring something vicious at her former friend. Maria's eyes were so dark, you could tell she was plotting Vespera's murder in her mind.

But Vespera snapped her fingers.

Everyone but Sophie, Wylie, and Marella stumbled forward, their entire party tied and gagged.

"You should really slow down and talk things out." Vespera smiled, "So let's talk."

Sophie's head hurt worse than that she and the girls got rip-roaring drunk at Lucie's Tavern 4 months ago. She didn't fully know where she was, how long she was out. It felt as if the world was pressing and fulling on her head like taffy and was tied upside down inside a ringing bell.

Wait. Sophie actually was upside down.

Gasping awake, her ankle felt as if it were ripped from the rest of her leg. Grunting as she looked up, terror-filled every fiber of her being as she noted the rope wrapped around her ankle, the only thing stopping her from being dropped into a monstrous gorge below. The rope was tied to a small wooden watchtower that used to work as a crane. Above her, the hole where she was spat out from her cavernous slide was still open.

"Merda, merda, merda," Engaging her core, Sophie lifted herself slowly. Ignoring the screaming in her head and battered flesh, she pulled herself up the rope.

The snap echoed early enough for Sophie to jump off the rope onto another piece of debris, the wood creaking and slumping towards the chasm with Sophie's weight.

Jumping from debris, Sophie pulled herself higher and higher, weaving through and up the crumbling building. Pulling herself atop the highest platform, a jutting cliff caught her eye. Sprinting as the final part of the tower fell, her fingers gripped into the gray rock and pulled herself to safety.

Peeking over the edge, Sophie watched as the watchtower crashed at the bottom of the chasm, splintering into a million pieces.

"Marrella? Wylie? You alright?" Sophie called out. It took a few moments, but she got a response.

"Yeah." Wylie's voice echoed from another cavern.

"What on earth was that?!" Marrella complained.

Sophie hissed, stretching out her aching back, "A defense system. It seems the Neverseen knew we were coming."

The cavern was lit by small lanterns and soft sunlight creeping through small cracks along the wall and ceilings.

"Are you guys together?"

"Yeah!" They replied together.

"Stay together and figure a way out. I'll meet you once we get out of here!" Sophie rubbed her hands together, sparking electricity between them. Kynareth still pulled taught on her powers, but Sophie pulled back, allowing lightning to spark from her hands, lighting her way.

Sharp black stone jutted from the walls, thin ropes and weak wooden structures dangling off the surfaces. Scattered amongst the chasm were the bones of those who never did find their way out.

(Concept art by Zoel Gan)

Sophie focused on a small opening, gentle moonlight peeking through. It looked like it was big enough for her to peek through.

Sophie used the dripping water from the stalagmites on the ceiling as a base of sorts, a way to keep her mind focused on something other than the searing pain of her body.

Drip. Drop.

She pulled herself higher, her fingers beginning to bleed as she jammed them into the crevices of the rock.

Drop. Drip.

Her breathing went in her nose and out her mouth, following the pattern of the dropping water. She refused to look down.

Drip. Drop.

Gritting her teeth, she pulled herself over the last crevice, reaching for the opening with bloody fingers.

Rolling to safety, the small light was a courtyard in the middle of the Lumangwe base, the grass soft and irritably itchy at the same time. The grass poked out from shoddy cobblestones lining the closed courtyard. Vines and weeds grew from the empty fountain in the middle of it all.

Wiping herself off, Sophie straightened as she scanned her surroundings. The courtyard had a bunch of large holes feeding out from the caverns below. Why would the Neverseen drop them into the chasm when there was a way out?

"Sophie?" A weak voice asked.

Sophie's head whipped around, staring at the dark-haired boy dying in the grass.

"Fitz!" Sophie gasped, stumbling over her feet as she kneeled at his side, turning him onto his back. His face was mauled, his breathing weak.

"What did they do to you?" She begged, pulling him onto her lap.

Fitz whimpered, his eyes fluttering.

"What?" Sophi whispered, straining to her hear his words.

"T-Trap..." 

Light exploded from everywhere, Sophie screaming as her hands clamped over her eyes.

Opening her eyes just a sliver, the breath was knocked out of her as she was slammed to the dirt. She caught the hands of her attacker, resisting the blade pointed for her neck.

Grunting and screaming, she flipped over, stabbing her hidden blades into their chest.

"Fitz!" Sophie called through the light, stumbling like a baby dear. Closing her eyes, she melted into the comfort of her Pancras form. Her braid turned stark white, her golden irises handling the blinding light.

Her clawed fingertips found Fitz's body still nestled in the grass, carefully pressing the pads of her fingers against his neck to check his pulse.

Instincts forcing her up, she ducked beneath another attacker, grabbing their cape and slamming them to the ground.

It was a figure of all black with thick goggles protecting their eyes from the light.

"Leave us alone!" Sophie screamed, kicking the goggles of another assailant.

"Grab her arms!" Two men grabbed her wrists, twisting them and forcing her to her knees. Not just any men, but two absolutely jacked ogres that overpowered even her Pancras strength.

"No! Let me go!" Sophie kicked and fought, her Pancras form fighting just like her.

Cold metal pressed against her neck, the small edge of the blade drawing blood from her neck.

"Goodbye, Mentore."

No. Not like this.

She wasn't going to meet her father yet. She wasn't done yet.

Straight from her gut, Sophie screamed. The world had only heard that scream years ago, when Amalia was on the horse fleeing from Inalia and watched a blade run through her father's heart, slowing his heartbeat enough for tears to wet his eyelashes before his body dropped.

The same heartbeat she would listen to when she would run to his room during a scary storm, clinging to her father for comfort. The same heartbeat that thundered when he raced his daughter across the rooftops of Inalia. 

So Sophie roared, something more than her Pancras soul, something more than every fiber of anger she had built up. The scream of someone who was truly afraid and refused their fate.

Sophie brought Kynareth's wrath to the Lumangwe base that day.

Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!

_Sibylline_

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

43.6K 365 8
One shots featuring one of my many OTP's! . . . . . . Rowan x Aelin . . . . . Me 3 Years Later: Man this is super cringy lol, but I'll leave it.
62.8K 1.3K 20
The dark shadow flies Wendy to Neverland. Pan and The Lost Boys keep her captive in a giant rock with food and a soft bed. They all know her name, t...
2K 127 23
"No matter how far you are or how much danger you are in, you can always count on the people you love to rescue you." *COMPLETED*✔️ Hermione had just...
56.3K 2K 20
Everybody knows that girl. The one thats picked on by the big bullies and nobody stands up for her because they're scared to get in the way. You've h...