~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?

Unedited. 

Ruy tried to become one with the chair with how far he was slinking down in it. Elves trying to get matched or registered gasped and giggled at him, his dark tan skin darkening around his cheeks. He is pretty sure one winked at him. The elven shirt was too tight around his neck, the pants bunched around his hips, and he nearly slipped twice with the piss poor elven boots. His hair was gelled and combed to the side like Alvar often wears it. He was taller than most of the people there, his voice was deep and had a light Inalian accent, more muscled- it was clear as day he wasn't from around here.

He glared at Hathem and Dom, who casually waited off to the side. Hathem gave Ruy an awkward thumbs up while Dom took a picture on her imparter, kicking herself to stop snort laughing.

He should've just killed them.

The girl next to Ruy had be around 17, but she shuffled closer to him.

"Hey, why are you here?" Ruy looked at her, then up to Dom and Hathem. Hathem mouthed the answer.

"I-I'm here to get registered?" Ruy awkwardly coughed, staring at Hathem's awkward mouthing.

"Oh really? You look older than normal, you didn't get registered during your 5th year at Foxfire?" She asked, twirling a piece of hair around her finger.

"Uh, no. I was, uh, pretty busy during my fifth year at Foxfire. I wasn't interested." Ruy punctuated the last sentence a bit, hoping she would go away, but she only scooted closer.

"Oh really? Yeah, I waited a little bit too. So, are you getting matched with someone in mind-"

"Clary Quine?" The Matchmaker called out. The girl next to him perked up, flattening out her fluffy yellow dress before shuffling into the office, giving him a wave as she went in. Dom and Hathem took their cues when the matchmakers were distracted, heading further into the building.

Ruy groaned, bumping his head on the top of his chair. How much longer did he have to wait? Hathem and Dom didn't tell him much. They were gonna call his fake elven name; he would go in and distract them for a little bit and then escape when they were done. He had no idea what their plan was, just that it was something simple but effective. And they wouldn't know what happened right away.

Another person sat down next to Ruy, but he glared at the office where the Matchmakers resided.

"You look like this is the last place you want to be." An older man laughed beside him. Ruy snickered, turning to look at him, "Yeah, no, I'm not exactly thrilled to be here-"

Ruy's sentence turned into a coughing fit when he looked at the man, terror settling in his bones when he realized Grady Ruewen was sitting next to him.

"Woah, you okay?" Grady asked, patting Ruy on the back.

"Yes, of course, sorry." Ruy fought the last of his coughing out of his system.

Grady smiled, "I remember being nervous too. You'll get over it."

Ruy awkwardly nodded, pursing his lips and refusing to make eye contact with him. This was not how he imagined meeting his girlfriend's dad.

"What's your name?"

Oh shit. What was his name? He had a fake one that Hathem made, but every thought had eddied out of his head. Hathem told him everything to say and do with the Matchmakers, but anyone else, Ruy was on his own.

"Uh, Halloway? Kyer Halloway?" Ruy said more to himself than to Grady.

"Oh, you are a part of the Halloway family? I didn't know they had a son!" Grady held out his hand, "I'm Grady Ruewen. I'm here on Council business."