~7~Standing Strong

Edaline POV

Edaline stroked the head of a cowering 1st level girl, the elven girl sobbing as the Neverseen marched closer and closer to the school

Edaline stroked the head of a cowering 1st level girl, the elven girl sobbing as the Neverseen marched closer and closer to the school. They somehow made it into the city, the council was keeping everything very hushed up. Grady and Edaline were helping the poor civilians of Eternalia, along with Grizel and Sandor, who happened to be at Havenfield during the attack. There were innocent children, cowering in the arms of anybody close. Edaline turned her head as the doors to the main hall swung open, and the Vackers walked in, along with the Song twins, Dex, and Fitz.

Biana and Keefe were nowhere to be found.

"Are you guys, okay?!" Grady exclaimed, jumping up and rushing over. They all started to distribute comfort blankets and water, handing other rations to teachers to help give the massive crowd of elves.

"We are fine, I promise," Linh whispered as Grady hugged them all tight. Edaline patted the girl's head, asked if she was okay, and went to talk with them.

"Do you have any news?" Sandor asked, stepping forward.

"The Neverseen made it into the city," Alden breathed, whispering as quietly as possible. Edaline's eyes turned glassy, her hand clenched around Grady's arm.

"But, there seem to be these soldiers. Winged ones, definitely not an elf. They are so fast you can barely see them. But they have been absolutely nailing the Neverseen, slowing them down as fast as possible." Fitz added.

"But?" Edaline asked, knowing there were more.

"The Neverseen are still too strong. We have minutes before they will be at the school." Tam whimpered. The room grew darker with dread and loss of hope.

"Is there anything we can do?"

"We are completely surrounded, we can only ride it out-" A deafening roar shook the school, everyone turning even paler at the sound of it.

"What was that?!" Grizel hissed.

"They are called the Mirthless. Creatures of bloodlust and terror that prey through the Neutral territories. The Neverseen found out a way to control them." Tam muttered. Edaline's mouth turned into a thin line, and she turned to her husband, before turning back to them.

"Is she out there?" Grady stuttered out. Dex looked out the windows, his eyebrows pressed down.

"We don't know. They should be here, but we didn't see any trace of them."

"Well, maybe that is what they want you to think? Isn't that what they are good at? Hiding in plain sight?" Edaline asked, hopefully.

"But why are those winged soldiers fighting on the front lines, not the Assassins?" Grizel whimpered. Another deafening roar, much louder this time, made everyone scramble to the windows. Everyone sobbed when they saw thousands of Neverseen march through the streets, now in view of the school. Monsters of black tar and white bones stalked around them, roaring and pounding their paws or arms. The winged soldiers scrambled to form a line of solid shields around the school, a hasty line of defense, but the Mirthless sprung first, easily breaking through their line.