N (WAYHAUGHT)

By wrenlo

Running away and finding the circus was the best thing Nicole could have done. Not that circus life was easy... More

Chapter 1 - Just N
Chapter 2 - Bare Brothers
Chapter 3 - The Wife
Chapter 4 - Nicole's Note
Chapter 5 - Their N
Chapter 6 - Building Trust
Chapter 7 - Love Letters
Chapter 8 - Cake Pieces
Chapter 9 - Dream Field
Chapter 10 - How Long
Chapter 11 - Oh N
Chapter 12 - Say What
Chapter 13 - Life Circle
Chapter 14 - Ruddy Mess
Chapter 15 - Just So
Chapter 16 - Beautiful Scars
Chapter 17 - Old Friends
Chapter 18 - The Letter
Chapter 19 - Waxing Moon
Chapter 20 - The Stables
Chapter 21 - Two Aunts
Chapter 22 - The House
Chapter 23 - Indian Tea
Chapter 24 - Behind Doors
Chapter 25 - Decisions Decisions
Chapter 26 - Alice's Heart
Chapter 27 - Who Works
Chapter 28 - More Bacon
Chapter 29 - The Farm
Chapter 30 - Circus Departure
Chapter 31 - Pollo Bambino
Chapter 32 - Daisy Chain
Chapter 33 - Evadere Escape
Chapter 34 - Four Kisses
Chapter 36 - Green Dress
Chapter 37 - The Horses
Chapter 38 - N's Journey

Chapter 35 - Learning Counts

71 4 1
By wrenlo

Back at Howton, Aunt Constance suggested the pair might want to take a moment to sit in the library and talk through what had happened. Nicole's ability to do a disappearing act was discussed. Waverly's ability to go full 'Italian' was also discussed. Much as they needed to, Daisy was not discussed, both having decided it was something neither wanted to explore in case it ended up in another Waverly outburst, with Nicole running off.

Daisy remained in the house. Nicole still had feelings for her, accepting they were not reciprocated. Waverly understood Nicole had feelings for Daisy, but had found in her a new friend, one who was not a threat. Someone who could tell her about young N.

"She stole a pie once from the governor," Daisy began, as she stirred the cake mixture for Doris. "Right under his big, fat nose. Too busy hitting her to see what she was doing."

"Can imagine N doing that. She said he hurt her ear, has trouble hearing in one."

"He enjoyed it. Could see it on his face."

"How did you survive in such a dreadful place?" Waverly asked.

"Made the best of it. We'd hide in the laundry cupboard, dressing up, pretending to be wealthy. Think that's why the governor hated her. Carried herself different."

"But she wasn't posh, or anything then."

"I don't mean she acted all airs and graces. She just had a way, like the world couldn't get inside."

"She lets so few in. You. Caspian. And, Aunty."

"And, you Waverly. She's let you in."

"Really? Sometimes I feel so close to her. And, then she's gone again."

"Used to disappear on me too. I'd draw circles on her hand with my finger. Told her it was the path back to me."

"That's so sweet. Oh no, my eyes are watering and I've got flour all over my hands."

"Don't you go getting another ingredient in the cake mix," Doris teased.

Constance had finally found a tutor for N. A young man by the name of Mr. Jett, his teaching credentials impeccable, willing to relocate from London for a fee. He came on the highest recommendation from Randolph Nedley, Mr. Jett's services having been used by a number of his wealthy clients, looking to have their spoilt and unruly children educated at home to a standard that allowed them to succeed at the higher level of society they occupied.

Nicole had been informed of Jett's imminent arrival. She was made to sit in the main drawing room, on a hard chair, in front of the four women in her life, each trying in their own way to get her to accept tuition would be beneficial. Uppermost in Nicole's mind was the need for no further learning, other than the ability to read that one book to the baby.

"N, look at me," Waverly's voice softer than usual. "What if Daisy and I take lessons with you? Remember how I guided your hand. Remember when you wrote Caspian for the first time."

"Be knowing enough."

Aunt Constance stepped in to offer guidance. "You are quite right. You have more than enough learning. There are, however, parts of the business I would dearly love your help."

"I be helping if you need me. Be knowing no more than five, mind."

"All is of use," Constance replied.

"Ain't be learning nothing more than I needs. Tells you that now."

Lessons began 9am sharp each morning, with a short break mid-morning, continuing until either Nicole's eyes glazed over, or lunch was served. Daisy was overjoyed to learn how to hold a pen and how to write her own name. Waverly liked to show off, Mr. Jett setting her ever harder maths questions. Nicole would sit eyeing Waverly's work, along with the attention she was receiving from Mr. Jett, he suggesting she call him by his first name, Robin, Nicole glaring at Jett if he so much as leaned over Waverly to look at her work.

Several weeks into their new routine, Waverly found her still in the stables after one mid-morning break, refusing to return to the library, accusing Jett of touching Waverly's hand too many times that morning. "N, he needs to do that to get me to hold the pen correctly. Fine, I'll ask him not to in future. Will that help?"

"I be sitting there and he be making eyes at you. I sees."

"You should be getting on with your own work and not looking at me, or Robin."

"Robin. What sort of name be that? Be a girl's name."

Waverly stifled a laugh. "You're doing so well. If you keep going, you'll be able to read to the baby. I thought that's what you wanted?"

Nicole moved closer. "I knows what I be wanting right now."

"We can come back after lunch, but you're going in and finishing today's lesson."

"I be just wanting one kiss."

"N, no. Alright, one kiss. That's all."

Nicole pulled her into an embrace, edging them towards the stall at the end, hoping Waverly would give in to her charms. She pulled away just as Nicole was about to move them inside. "Don't you dare. I'm warning you."

Too late, Nicole was already unbuttoning her waistcoat and shirt, taking Waverly's hand and placing it inside her vest. She saw Waverly's eyes respond, knowing she had won, knowing she didn't have to go back and face another few hours of learning stupid numbers. They emerged just before lunch, Waverly vowing not to be distracted by Nicole's advances ever again, telling her she would be banned from the stables if she didn't concentrate on her studies.

Robin was sitting at the dining table with Daisy, deep in discussion about India, when the pair entered, Nicole grinning, knowing she had outwitted him at least on this one occasion. He asked if Waverly was feeling better, assuming that to be the reason for their absence. Waverly played along, Nicole inclined to tell Robin where they really had been earning her a pinch from Waverly. Robin suggested Waverly should rest for the afternoon, offering to extend the day's lesson into the afternoon for Nicole to catch up on what she missed, thereby outwitting her.

With lessons underway, Constance felt it was time for Nicole to visit the mine in Wavedon, fourteen miles from Howton Conquest. Most of the journey there was spent with Nicole gazing silently out the window. "It was George's idea to invest in the mine, given how close it is to his ancestral home," Constance informed. "He said he could smell a good opportunity. Your mother too."

"I knows how to pull pegs and look after horses."

"My dear, you are just beginning on this new journey. The world of the circus is a wonderful world, full of the most loving people I have ever come across. But, there is a bigger world waiting for you, full of wonders you have yet to see."

The carriage pulled up outside the foreman's office, hearing him shout at some wayward lad who had a stick of dynamite in each hand. Nicole immediately felt the connection to her days in the circus, watching the interaction, knowing the young lad was probably doing his best.

The driver helped Constance down from the carriage, stepping back to let Nicole exit. She had been issued with a new black suit, immaculately tailored to her body, a crimson waistcoat, starched white shirt and matching cravat. She refused to don the top hat that went with the outfit, preferring to let her short hair flow naturally. A dark grey overcoat completed her attire, looking ever the part of a wealthy mine owner.

Constance introduced Nicole, the foreman offering her his hand. "I can show you the workings if you have time."

Nicole nodded, not sure what workings were. Aunt Constance was on hand. "That would be most useful. We will need to take away the sales ledgers. I will have the driver return them in the morning."

"My men were grateful for the extra food supplies this winter for their families. How's Doris? And, Arthur. Bet my sister's keeping him in line."

"She is well. I have a hamper of cakes she prepared for your men. I need you to take Nicole under your wing Cedric, she has a keen mind, so you would do well treating her accordingly."

"Connie for you, I would train her with my own hands."

Nicole looked at Constance, then Cedric. "Ain't done no mining."

"Connie told me you understand hard work. You are welcome here."

He escorted them to the entrance of the mine, cautioning it would be dangerous from that point onwards. Constance had been down a few times, not relishing the thought of returning, knowing N needed to see where her wealth came from. They sat in a small cart on tracks leading deeper into the mine, pulled by a pony, workers passing on either side, covered in grime from their work underground.

This was a new world for Nicole, watchful eyes taking in all before her as they ventured deeper into new territory. The cart stopped short of the main excavation area, a large cavern opening up before them, men on different terraces hueing out clay for cleaning woollen cloth. Cedric invited them to leave the cart, offering his arm to Constance knowing the ground was uneven.

Nicole viewed the scene, attempting to understand how her money came from such activity. Then she spotted them. A group of children, barely older than herself when she fled the orphanage leading horses into the centre of cavern. Their clothes had seen better days, their hands and faces in need of a good wash, Nicole's life transitioning in that moment. This was no place for children.

Her voice echoed around the cavern, causing workers to stop. Constance had not seen such rage in Nicole. "No child works here. You hears me, no child works here."

Cedric looked at Constance, then Nicole, hoping to shed light on those who were employed to dig out the clay. "They are the children of miners. Small enough to work the horses and get to the tight spaces."

Constance needed to explain. "The children of workers bring in more money. I have instructed Cedric to make sure they are paid well, fed and schooled when not working. The families are grateful."

Nicole was in no mood to be placated. "Is this my mine?"

"My dearest N, it is. And, what you decide will be acted upon. If you wish for no children to work here, then you simply have to instruct Cedric. But, remember these families rely on their wages."

"I don't want children working in me mine. Ain't what I want for them. They be needing to read, and write and count, not dig out clay."

"Cedric you have heard Miss Haught's instructions. We will need to address the financial implications and whether you require additional men to replace the children."

Cedric scratched his head. "I reckon I'll need to pay the men a little extra so they don't riot."

Nicole kicked a lump of clay away from her foot, leaving a large grey mark on the side of her polished black boot. "Ain't having no children here."

"N, it is done. Now, would you like to see the rest of the works?"

"Not if there be children," Nicole sulked.

"I think it best we return home. We can visit another time, once Cedric has made the necessary changes."

The journey home was equally quiet, Nicole unable to remove from her mind the image of those poor children.

Constance felt the need to break the silence. "N, forgive me, you may not like what I am about to say, but it must be said. Your decision today was impeccable, truly from your heart and extremely wise. Yet, it has consequences you may not have considered. I am never one for employing the young, but the local families often have children in order to send them to work to bring in money for their families. Without their wages, families very often struggle to survive."

"I be working laundry when I be their age. Be knowing what it's like."

"I understand. Really, I do. But, all actions have consequences. It is an unfortunate fact of life, one I have struggled with myself, coming to the conclusion it would be better for those children to work than starve."

Nicole was no longer sure of her decision. "It be right for me."

"It was right. And, I will ensure Cedric addresses any shortfall in wages. We can only hope the children are not forced to work elsewhere."

Nicole pondered her actions. She assumed her decision was positive not wanting those poor children to have to work underground. And yet, Constance was telling her she may well end up causing them more suffering simply because she had acted on her passions. "I be not knowing how to do this. It be harder than I thinks."

"It will be fine. A caring employer is far better than an uncaring one. You have sufficient monies coming in from the plantations to accommodate your wishes for the mine. I merely wanted you to understand the nature of business and life in these parts."

"I be needing your help more than you needs mine, I reckon."

"I am here for you. Now, we must pay your farms a visit soon. But, not today."

Waverly was waiting for her, standing by the entrance, watching the carriage approach. As soon as Nicole emerged she could tell she was not happy. Aunt Constance smiled, kissing her on the cheek. "She did very well today. I trust your afternoon went equally well."

Waverly nodded, wanting to speak to Nicole, Constance sensing her presence was no longer needed. She took Nicole's hand leading her to the stables. "I love your outfit. Very you. So, how did it go? Tell me."

Nicole did not want to dwell on what she had seen, or worry Waverly. "It be fine. What were you doing?"

"Something isn't fine. Please don't shut me out. I know I have a tendency to explode, but I'd rather you told me if there's something bothering. And, clearly something is bothering you."

"I be seeing children."

"Right. Where? In the village. Were they in your village?"

"In the mine. They're young, like me. I told the foreman to let them go."

"Oh N, children. That's dreadful. How young?"

"I reckon eleven or twelve. I not be knowing if I did the right thing."

"How can children that young be working in a mine? Isn't it dangerous?"

"Very. But, they are bringing in money for the family. And, I tells them they can't."

"You'll just have to pay compensation."

"Compo what?"

"Compensation," Waverly repeated, proud she knew the word. "Something you give to cover a loss."

"I be finding all this harder than I thought."

"How about you compensate me in the stables for having been away all afternoon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 988 56
❄️Featured on @Romance, @adultfiction @StoriesUndiscovered (September 2023), @Newlywrittenbooks, and @WattpadESL❄️ ❄️Nora, a young woman not quite co...
5.9K 2K 80
After a great war wiped out the Elevanas and the Glorindians, the last survivor fled to earth. Seventeen-year-old Fiona Cinderblock learned the way o...
2.6K 107 32
Set in England at the end of the 19th century, Waverly Earp and Nicole Haught meet as children, forming a friendship which endures as they grow up. W...
4.2K 182 40
A Wayhaught love story based loosely on Four Weddings & a Funeral.