We Are Survivors

By FireCloud3

[AFTER EPISODE 84] In Ninjago, all hope seems lost. The two remaining Ninja, Lloyd and Nya, along with their... More

We Are Alive
Time To Rise
Hunted
The Resistance
Descent Into Darkness
The Dragon Trial
Elemental Assistance
Mystery Revealed
Home of Hunters
Illogical Hope
Schemes
Heavy Metal
Never Quit
Prison Break
Not Dead Yet
Walk By Faith
The Realm Crystal
Oni's Abode
Inside Kryptarium
Last-Ditch Effort
True Colors
Costly Mistakes
Mother Of All Dragons
Shattered Charades
Desperate Alliances
Reunions
Falling Inside the Black
Leap of Faith
The End or Beginning?
Epilogue: More Than Surviving

Beginning of Forgiveness

276 11 5
By FireCloud3

    Wu bowed his head low, weeping over the lifeless form of his brother. All had been lost, yet everything had been gained. The balance of Ninjago had been restored.

    "Sensei?" A gentle hand touched his back. He found himself staring up into the dimmed, sad eyes of Pixal and Skylor. "What do we do now?"

    Wu heaved a heavy sigh, looking across the mass of people who were gathered solemnly. Their expressions also begged for guidance. He had lived a very long life, two lives now, but he had no wisdom to give. He would not lie and give sweet words of assurance or false promises. He had learned by now that was not how a true Master lead. Things usually worked themselves out if truth was allowed to run its course. Lies just led to tangled webs.

    "I... do not know."

    "I do," said Mr. E softly, approaching them. Pixal tensed and stared in surprise at the unmasked droid. His voice was higher and carried a more innocent tone than expected. He smiled sheepishly. "The Tornado of Creation fixed more than just the Realm."

    His expression turned serious once more. "But I know what to do. It is what the Ninja did. We do not give up and start anew. Again and again, Ninjago is attacked but I have seen you people endure it all and rise up stronger. We will rebuild."

    Wu nodded, getting slowly to his feet. "You are right." He blinked back tears that threatened to fall down his face. "We will honor our fallen and rebuild just like before."

    "And what of them?" questioned Gravis, pointing towards the Sons of Garmadon who shuffled nervously and ducked their heads. They knew they deserved imprisonment for life or worse for the crimes they committed. Who knew joining a crime cult could result in such destruction.

    "They will help repair the damage they caused and then we will see what consequences the people of Ninjago will impart to them," said Wu.

    The Sons of Garmadon nodded their heads in acceptance, the bloody battle having made them compliant.

    The survivors atop the monastery dispersed to count their dead and tend to their wounded. Wu was grateful for his young body as he trekked down the numerous steps with a group to bury the fallen. They all winced, their stomachs turning at the gory scene that they found at the bottom of the mountain. With all reverence possible, they laid the departed to rest.

    Those who had lost people close to them grieved accordingly while others mustered the strength to return to their city. Small joy was found that those influenced by the dark smoke were free from its effects. The Elemental Masters who were scarred by Omega's influence were slowly on the mend.

    Wu's life-weary self found himself stepping into leadership roles in organizing reconstruction in the dirtied streets of Ninjago City. During that time, his body finally caught up with his age. 

    Cyrus Borg, outfitted in a new wheelchair, was the one who found him and advised. "Take a break. I can take over from here. It's not my first time helping rebuild this city. You have been through far too much to be pushing yourself to such lengths." 

    When Wu appeared conflicted, Borg's eyes were kind and understanding behind his lenses as he gently added, "This is not what the Ninja would have wanted, seeing their Master running himself ragged. I have also advised Pixal and Skylor to relax." He pointed down the road to a small tea shop.

    Wu stepped into the small shop and almost turned right back around, realizing he had caught the two in a serious conversation; but Skylor had already caught his eye and nodded her acknowledgment, not pausing in her talk with the Samurai.

    The still teenage Master's eyes widened as he ordered some ginseng tea and caught the last part of Skylor's apparent apology.

    "–and I'm so sorry I shot you."

    What had happened over in Ninjago while they were absent?!

    "You were not in control of yourself. You have no need to apologize," assured Pixal. "And as far as disbelieving my claim, it is only logical you would not accept such a tall tale. Not while we were all processing our grief."

    Skylor sighed and buried her face in her hands. "And here we are, mourning their deaths all over again."

    Pixal's frame slouched dolefully as she stared down at her palms which sparkled with Ice particles. It wasn't fair. They had finally won the fight but they had lost so many loved ones who they had just gotten back. Her power core told her that this time, there were no survivors. There was no other half pulsing with life.

    When Wu, intrigued by the appearance of her power, ambled over to their table to ask her about it, he was surprised when she immediately pulled her hands closed at the sight of him. She began explaining before he could ask. Wu's heart broke as Pixal implored him not to force her from the role of Samurai X to become the new Ice Ninja. It was not a mantle she could bear. 

    Had he really been the type of Master that Pixal saw fit to beg him not to force her to become a Ninja? He sighed internally, remembering Nya's transition to Water Ninja. In many ways, though it was clear his Ninja had grieved him, they had matured greatly without him, especially Lloyd. They grown into fine young people despite his flawed teachings and the challenges that arose from withheld information. 

    Wu assured the Samurai, "I am lamenting their loss too, Pixal. I would never make you take up a role you do not want." His voice grew softer as he admitted, "I think the age of the Ninja has come to an end. I won't be training up a new team in my lifetime." He motioned to the two women. "Come, let's go home."

    They followed him to the old monastery that, against all odds, was still standing. Though it served as a temporary shelter for the wounded and those too frail to journey back home and there were plenty of beings stirring about the place, it felt empty. It didn't feel like home, but where else could they go?

    Wu pitied the Hunters: Jet Jack, Arkade, Daddy-No-Legs, Muzzle, and Chew Toy. They were all that was left of their people and stranded in an unknown Realm, unaware of what ruins would be left if they returned to the First Realm. They truly had no home. 

    Upon returning to the monastery where they were staying for the time being, he was surprised to find the Hunters sitting comfortably at the side of Ultra Dragon and his kin. Relations had been tense between them up until this point. Apparently, Wu's tiny scheme in assigning the Hunters to tend to the Dragons' wounds had worked in easing the hostility. Either that, or the Dragons and Hunters found some small comfort in the familiarity of the other.

    While Pixal retreated to the isolated safety of her resting quarters, Skylor wandered the monastery grounds. Wu taken the girls to the monastery to rest and took notice of this, catching her at a corner. "There is a saying, 'Not all who wander are lost,' but you look it. It's okay to rest, Skylor."

    The Master of Amber looked down, catching the Sensei off guard with the plainness of her question. "Does your heart ever feel so heavy it wants to burst?"

    "All too often," answered Wu. The thing he missed most of his youthful escapade was the innocence and faith, unburdened by the weight of the wisdom of the world.

    Skylor hugged her scarred arms to herself as she wept. "It doesn't— it doesn't felt like we've won. I want to give up so bad, but there's nothing to give up on anymore. No cause. Just nothing."

    Wu listened patiently as Skylor fell apart, venting and ranting her jumbled thoughts and emotions. Already, she was thinking months in advance to the trial of what remained of the Sons of Garmadon. She knew what it was like to be a traitor granted forgiveness, but she truly didn't know if she could find it in her to forgive them. They didn't understand, didn't become ensnared by the full, crushing weight of the evil they had unleashed.

    The strain of battle and being a stalwart supporter of the Resistance had run its course on the Elemental Master of Amber. The healing process had been kickstarted by the defeat of the Oni but it would be a long time before the echoes of destruction would be but a distant memory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Mystaké was the first to greet the Ninja when their eyes adjusted to the brilliant glow of the land, not as a ghost but a complete, solid figure. Pride glowed in her gaze. She gestured first to Lloyd and Nya then to the other four Ninja, "Told you the Phoenix and Dragon would unite."

    Lloyd frowned, holding up his hand. "Wait... did you actually know what your 'made up prophecy' meant?"

    Mystaké shook her head and laughed, "Oh, of course not. Not at the time at least. Believe me, you get old enough and you get pretty decent at guessing what the future will look like. I hadn't realized the four Ninja would be the Dragons of the prophecy until after I died though. You wouldn't believe how much everything suddenly made sense the moment I kicked the bucket. Hindsight really is 20/20."

    Jay hesitantly raised his hand, peering at their surroundings in awe. It was warm and sunny, a lush green paradise. In a word, it was perfect.

    "Yes, Jay. You are dead. You all have died." The old woman made eye contact with the blanching Ninja and at those behind them. "This is a place where heroes come to rest."

    The Ninja turned, realizing they weren't the only ones standing there. Garmadon smiled at them, opening his arms as his son threw himself into them. "Dad!"

    Lloyd's smile fell as he realized what this meant. His grip loosened. "This means you're..."

    "Yes," answered Garmadon quietly.

    Mystaké seemed agitated, checking a nonexistent watch on her wrist and tapping her foot. She held up a hand. "One moment please." She vanished and then reappeared with Harumi and Faith held by back of their shirt collars.

    Harumi and Faith stood back at a distance, awkwardly not knowing what to do with themselves. Harumi kept her eyes fixed on the ground in shame, refusing to meet any of the Ninja's eyes.

    They both tensed as Mystaké beckoned them forward. The woman's expression was neutral as they padded up to her. She instructed, "Come. Walk with me." She called over her shoulder to the Ninja, "Your greeting party will find you eventually. He's taking his sweet time greeting an old friend."

    Thus, the Ninja were left to their own devices and dared to tentatively stroll through the paradise together. They pointed out small details and changes they noticed, like their gis being clean and untorn and their body's feeling whole and uninjured.

    "It's weird," commented Jay. "It's perfect here, but I don't really wanna stay. It's almost too peaceful. Y'know?"

    "Yeah," agreed Kai, thinking of his parents and Skylor in particular. How were they coping with them gone, again? "It feels like home but it doesn't at the same time. All our families and friends are still in Ninjago."

    The others mumbled their agreement.

    Jay gently took Nya's hand in his, running his thumb over the ring. He grinned. "Besides, we've  still got our whole lives ahead of us."

    They all jumped when an unfamiliar voice questioned, "Why do you desire to return? The Realm is a finally at balance. You have earned this rest."

    Garmadon froze as the person dismounted their Golden Dragon. "Father?"

    The Ninja all immediately dropped into low, respectful bows. 

    The First Spinjitzu Master chuckled and stopped them. "No, no. You have done so much for Ninjago. If anyone should kneel, it should be I."

    The Ninja watched with wide eyes as the creator of their Realm bowed to them. "I brought you here specifically because I wanted to thank you. Apologies for my lateness. I was catching up with an old friend."

    He eyed Zane, Nya, and his son sadly. "This is not your first time greeting death."

    Nya recoiled slightly as her brothers eyed her in bewilderment. Jay nervously avoided anyone's gaze. "It's a... long story."

    The First Spinjitzu Master began to ramble on, "One that you now have plenty of time to share since you can stay here for eternity. That part of your story has ended. Life is balance. Endings are never really endings, only new beginnings. And you have given us all a new beginning. The future is what we make of it, and you refused to let our future end in darkness. Well done, all of you. Well done."

    The Ninja stood in silence. Well, now they knew where Wu inherited his cryptic speech from.

    For clarification, Jay slowly questioned, "So... we get a thank you and eternity in paradise for all that suffering we put ourselves through to protect Ninjago? But can you... put us back?"

    Cole elbowed him in the side, worried about angering the First Spinjitzu Master. "Don't be ungrateful."

    "Hey!" yelped Jay, defending himself. "It doesn't hurt to ask."

    The Creator of the Ninjago appeared pensive, silently staring down the Ninjago who gulped nervously. They feared they might've accidentally upset him.

    Garmadon spoke up boldly on their behalf. "Father, you just said yourself, endings are not really endings, only new beginnings. You cannot fault them for wanting a new beginning."

    His father held up a hand. "I am not angered, son, just ... confused. My Realm, though I tried, is so flawed. Shadow after shadow rises up. Do you not desire a rest, an escape? This can be their new beginning."

    Garmadon rolled his eyes an scoffed, appearing not as an old, wise master but frustrated teen. "That might be your method of dealing with hardship but not theirs. Wu taught them better."

    Despite his son's derisive tone, the First Spinjitzu Master dipped his head. "True." Melancholic acceptance graced his expression with a hint of pride shining through as he stared at his son. "You and Wu have grown into better men than I was."

    His eldest seemed surprised and touched by this acquiescence. He motioned to his son, proudly declaring, "And my son has grown into a far better man than both of us combined. Wu would definitely agree."

    Lloyd smiled bashfully. He swallowed back his nervousness and dared to address the First Spinjitzu Master. "Grandfather, thank you, but I don't want our story to end here. It's true, we do fall but we rise too. We've survived a lot together." He shared a look with his teammates. "One day. It will be the end for us, but if we get the choice, we'd rather it not be today."

    The First Spinjitzu Master couldn't hold back a chuckle as he watched curiously as the Ninja nodded their affirmation. The corners of his eyes crinkled fondly. "Never in all my born days have I witnessed such heroism and a will to live. You shall have as you desire and return to your duties as Ninja." He looked to Garmadon. "What of you, my son? What do you choose?"

    Lloyd looked over to his father, surprised to find uncertainty gracing his features. "Dad? You're coming back with us, right?"

    Garmadon sighed. "Nothing would make me more happy than to return with you..."

    "But?" prodded Lloyd.

    "... but I was never supposed to return at all. My time is over."

    Lloyd looked imploringly at his father, ready to argue, but instead bowed his head in acceptance as Garmadon gathered him up in his arms.

    As they embraced, the First Spinjitzu Master spoke, "Before I can let you return, Ninjago's scars need to time to heal and there are certain matters of the heart that must be settled here."

    Then, he stepped to the side revealing certain departed people near and dear to the Ninjas' hearts. Whatever was said or explained between them remains between only them.

    For Zane and Dr. Julien, there were hushed questions and answers of his brother he briefly met.

    For Cole, it was a tearful reunion and closure with his passed mother.

    For Jay, it was a tentative meeting with his unfamiliar birth mother and questions of his origin were given some resolve.

    Lloyd leaned into his father's side as his friends tentatively reunited with fallen family, listening attentively as Garmadon said warningly to his father, "If this is a trick to get them to stay..."

    The Creator of Ninjago shook his head. "No trick. Amends must be made with the dead and some loose ends need to be tied up." He gazed at his grandson and looked pointedly in the direction Harumi had gone. "I think Mystaké has finished her discussion. Go see her."

    Kai and Nya shared a look. There was no one  for them. 

    The First Spinjitzu Master possessed a mischievous spark in his eye as he pointed. "Behind that hill, you will find a... satisfying gift. Forgiveness is good to grant but sometimes penance must be delivered."

    The siblings did indeed find it satisfying to slap the snot out of Krux and Acronix in retribution for all that time lost with their parents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Elsewhere in the Departed Realm while the First Spinjitzu Master conversed with the Ninja, Mystaké walked alongside the two women. With far less pomp and ceremony than the First Spinjitzu Master, she presented the fallen family members of Faith and Harumi. 

    Fondness overtook the old Oni's expression as she observed the tentative reunions from afar. A trillion different emotions flitted across the women's faces as they faced those who were most dear to their hearts. As much as Mystaké's impish side was tempted to listen in, she didn't and let them have their privacy. 

    Though Harumi tried very hard to withhold her tears and act like a big girl, the stoic mask was instantly shattered as her parents gathered her up in their arms and she broke down sobbing.

    Faith was slightly better at stifling the waterworks. There was so much yet so little she had to say.

    When the conversations came to an end, Mystaké motioned the reluctant women back to her. They walked along together while the full-blooded Oni openly talked with them, spouting off random bits of sayings and wise proverbs and letting them come off the high of emotions from reuniting with their family. Finally, she spoke more directly to them in an almost pitying tone, "Life has not dealt either of you a good hand, has it?"

    Faith and Harumi remained silent, eyeing her and each other curiously.

     With no response, Mystaké plopped herself down on the grassy plain, beckoning them to follow suit. "Don't look so wary. I am not here to smite you. Just talk. Your stories may not have such a happy beginnings, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story, who you choose to be. And I say you have chosen quite well."

    Harumi leaned back slightly as the woman rested a gnarled hand on her fair hair. "A broken, bitter child to repentant hero."

    Faith also pulled back when Mystaké reached for her, tapping the Armor she still wore. "From Dragon killer to Dragon rider. How poetic."

    Harumi dared to speak. "I... don't understand any of this. Shouldn't I be dead and suffering in the Underworld?"

    "Yes," replied Mystaké bluntly. "So should I. But unlike the First Spinjitzu Master, I'm not going to waste time with flowery words—though I do enjoy being cryptic—you have a choice before you right now. Stay or go. I will not sway your decision either way."

    The Hunter and Princess squinted.

    "You're giving us the choice to cheat death?" questioned Faith in disbelief.

     "It happens a whole lot more than you would think it would," deadpanned Mystaké. She coughed under her breath, "Plot armor."

     She could already begin to guess their final answers as she peered behind them. "You have time to think about it, so don't panic and don't overthink it. But while you weigh your options, there are some more people you must speak with."

    Harumi ducked her head at the sight of Lloyd standing there. He too was also looking nervous. She feared him far more than the massive Dragon that alighted silently beside them. What was there to say to him? 'I'm sorry we all died'?

    Faith on the other hand, flinched at the Mother of all Dragons staring her down. Was it possible to die twice?

    Mystaké mumbled encouragement to the girls. "Remember, take it from some one who's lived the lesson a thousand times over, 'Mistakes are forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.'"

    The old Oni observed as the two tentatively made their way over to their respective once mortal enemies.

     Faith and Firstbourne plodded along beside each other, speaking in low halting voices. Communication wasn't exactly either of their strong suits, but words were exchanged and the barest hint of forgiveness was granted. Decades of hurt and spilled blood could not necessarily be mended or forgotten, but it was clear both were willing to put forth effort to end the animosity between their kind. Careful respect for the each other now resided within either of their hearts, recognizing the other as a survivor of the cruelty of fate in the First Realm.

    When Faith attempted to return the Dragonbone Blade and the Dragon Armor, Firstbourne paused and peered at her for a long, unsettling moment. The great Dragon's expression was pensive as her golden eyes roved over the Hunter, shocked to see noble colors peeking through her dingy aura. So often, the Hunters only possessed dark streaks of red hate and fear and thirst for bloodshed.

    Though her logic said otherwise, the Mother of All Dragons declared, "Keep it. It will be a sign of a fresh start between our peoples. I will not bother you, so long as you do not bother us."

    Far too long had Firstbourne lived in righteous bitterness against the Tribe of Hunters, but her ancient heart was heavy from carrying that burden. To see a Hunter, a Oni-Hunter hybrid no less, extend an effort an willingness to change was as rare and refreshing as finding an oasis in the First Realm. 

    Her anger still simmered against this murderer, but she realized now the hostility of her peoples had been orchestrated by the foul creature named Iron Baron. And how could Firstbourne expect to bring order back to her Realm and be a true Queen if she could not be the first to extend an olive branch of peace? Pride in her strength yet being relatively complacent all these decades had been her folly.

    Faith nodded solemnly, gripping the Blade in surreal disbelief. "You have our word. We will never hunt Dragons again."

    Firstbourne gave the smallest nod of acknowledgment. Forgiveness. Can you imagine? What a simple word yet novel force. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Harumi inhaled shakily. "Lloyd, you... don't have to forgive me. I know I'm way past deserving that." The former Jade Princess hugged her arms to herself, trying to keep herself together and choke out these words. "I—I shouldn't have been so blinded by my hatred. You... Losing my parents wasn't your fault."

    Oh First Master, looking back, the notion of blaming Lloyd for anything was so ludicrous. "I can't even put into words how sorry I am. There's no excuse for how cruel and stone-hearted I was. I kept lying to myself that what I was doing was right, that I would be fulfilled if I destroyed you. I was mistaken. So very mistaken."

    Harumi looked away, bracing herself, but after a long moment of silence, she glanced at Lloyd's carefully neutral expression. "Go on. Shout. Yell. Do something. Anything."

    Lloyd shook his head. He couldn't speak. What was there to say? There were too many thoughts bouncing around his skull and conflicting emotions flooding his heart. He had loved her and she had destroyed his heart. Yet he still couldn't get rid of the affection he held for her. She was hurt. Broken. And her brokenness had led her down the wrong path. A path where she had paid dearly for it in the end.

    The Green Ninja finally composed himself enough to form words. "I... can't forgive you yet."

    Harumi closed her eyes in acceptance.

    "But," continued the boy, "I want to heal with you. Everything is too fresh right now, but in time, I know I can forgive you." He added in a low tone that Harumi barely managed to hear. "And I still love you."

    Harumi swallowed back her tears. For once, her heart felt light, so light it would burst. In an unthinking move, she rushed forward and hugged Lloyd who tentatively returned it after freezing in shock. Her voice was no higher than the softest of whispers. "I love you too." Pure relief filled her tone as she breathed. "Thank you."

    The embrace barely lasted a full second but it filled the two with a warmth they hadn't felt in ages. They exchanged bashful and tearful grins. With an air of shyness yet renewed ease, they made their way back to the rest of the Ninja team.

    From the pair's body language, the Ninja quickly gathered what was happening. Were they entirely pleased with it? In truth, no. Not exactly. But were they willing to give Harumi a second chance? Sort of. They kept a wary eye on the former princess as they allowed her to walk among them. Time would reveal whether Harumi was truly repentant or putting on another mask.

    Lloyd's judgment was his own and they respected his decision. However, that didn't stop Nya from glaring a hole in the back of Harumi's head. Yes, forgiveness and healing would be a slow going process, but it was a long road they were willing to slowly tiptoe down.

    The Ninja gathered around, reluctantly leaving behind their departed loved ones. They were ready to return home. Bittersweet expressions graced all their features.

    Garmadon and his Father stood side by side, smiling at the heroes.

    Though he could already guess her answer, the First Spinjitzu Master formally questioned Harumi. "Have you come to a decision, young one?

    As expected, she answered softly, "I want to return to Ninjago."

    Though her heart desperately longed for her to stay with her parents, it didn't feel right to pass up this second chance to really prove her redemption.

    The Creator of Ninjago didn't speak, silently urging the girl to explain more.

    "With all due respect, I need to return to pay for my crimes and earn my forgiveness."

    He had a soft, sorrowful smile as he gently corrected her, "Forgiveness is a gift, free of charge. Trust is what you will be fighting to repair." He turned his focus to the Oni-Hunter who shied under his piercing gaze. "And you?"

    Faith shrugged, wishing her response was as certain and eloquent as the white-haired girl's. "I guess I'll return... I've made it this far. Might as well fight to survive and see what happens next."

    Her answer, however halting it was, seemed to satisfy him.

    "Then, with all minds made up, it is time to go," announced the First Spinjitzu Master. "May you return one day far in the future."

    Garmadon enveloped Lloyd in one last loving hug. "I am so proud of you, son. Never doubt how much I love you."

    Lloyd felt a fresh onslaught of tears well up. One day. One day he would be ready to rest with his father. But now was not the time. Now, he and his family would return to do more than survive. Finally, they would get the chance to heal and live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Mystaké sidled up beside the First Spinjitzu Master and Garmadon as they saw the heroes off. "You've left behind a stubborn legacy to protect your Realm."

    Firstbourne stepped next to the pure blood Oni and scoffed, "As if your spawn is any less stubborn."

    "Like you," shot back the old woman. 

    The Mother of All Dragons snorted, not even trying to deny the veracity of her words. It was true, she was a stern, stubborn Queen and she rather liked that reputation. 

    The First Spinjitzu Master patted her foreleg. "Watch out for them all, old friend."

    The scarlet Dragon gave a singular nod. "Of course."

    Mystaké rolled her eyes and complained, "I can't believe you let this overgrown lizard return. She's lived forever. Her time is more than up."

    "Maybe for your short Oni life it seems that way, but I still have millennia left in these bones," declared Firstbourne as she tossed her head proudly. "I'm sure you had the choice to return but forfeited it, lazybones."

    Mystaké gasped in affront. "Take that back! You Dragons are always so greedy. At least I can say that I'm satisfied with the time I had. I gave life a run for its money."

    "That's enough," silenced the First Spinjitzu Master before the minor quarrel escalated into an actual fight.

    Firstbourne let out an annoyed huff and spread her broad wings. "Well, I must be off to set my Realm in order."

    "Don't forget the time difference," reminded the First Spinjitzu Master.

    The ancient Dragon eyed him fondly. "Of course I remember. I'm a seasoned Realm traveler."

    "Good riddance," snarked Mystaké when the Mother of All Dragons was out of sight. "Now we'll finally have some real peace and quiet around here with the beast and children gone."

    Garmadon smirked to himself. He knew Mystaké didn't hold any real malice behind her words. In fact, he was certain that with her around, the Departed Realm wouldn't be so peaceful anymore.

    "Did you forewarn the Ninja about the time jump?" questioned the old Oni curiously.

    It was a funny sight to see as both the First Spinjitzu Master's and Garmadon's pupils shrank before they facepalmed.

    "Nope."

    "I forgot."

    Mystaké cackled, "Well, they will find out soon enough."

    In fact, she had half a mind to pop on over in her ghostly form to watch the spectacle unfold. She was having too much fun with the freedom of being dead.

    Garmadon shared an exasperated look with his Father as the full-blooded Oni vanished out of sight. They shook their heads. Even after thousands of years and despite being a master shapeshifter, she still hadn't changed all that much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Skylor sat with her head bowed at the assembly that would decide the fate of the Sons of Garmadon. Her mind wasn't particularly focused on the subject at hand. She couldn't care less about what happened to them at this point. Considering her own journey, she supposed she should've been more involved in advocating a villain's redemption, but she just couldn't bring herself to care for the fate of these blokes.

    She clenched her fists together as people argued back and forth. This meeting had been going on all day and they were no closer to a final decision than when they started. The guilty wisely kept their mouths shut, looking less anxious than they had this morning and more bored than anything. Chamille and Ash had lost interest and left long ago with their daughter when she started wailing.

    "How much longer will this go on?" she groaned under her breath, mostly to herself but Pixal picked up her complaint.

    "With the current rate of progress, I estimate forever," deadpanned the Samurai. She was pretty certain Ray was nodding off behind them.

    Tox, Mr. Pale, and Shade were all bunched together with their gaggle of kids huddled with them. They were still mildly invested in the outcome of this assembly. Griffin and Gravis sat beside them. Their stern looks towards the former gang members made it clear they weren't exactly rooting for their redemption.

    Neuro looked on with a far more pensive and neutral expression on his face. He glanced at Skylor, and she wondered if he was hearing her frustrated thoughts.

    It had been six months. Six! A vague sense of normalcy had more or less settled over Ninjago, yet a flame of unrest and bitterness still festered within her heart. How could everyone act so normal while she still drowned in anguish? 

    To a certain degree, she envied Wu's and Pixal's air of resoluteness. The only reason she knew it was a false air was that she often caught Wu staring heartbrokenly at the Ninjas' memorial. And currently, he kept his head bowed, not being caught up in the affairs going on around him. With Pixal, every so often over the course of the past six months, the Samurai would creep into her room and the girls would simply end up crying into each other's shoulders.

    Cyrus Borg, who had been elected as the mediator of this assembly since most assumed he'd keep an objective perspective, thanked the prosecutors as they finished their testimony. The "trial," if it could be called that, wasn't an official trial by any means. It mainly consisted of people presenting their complaints or defenses for the whole of Ninjago to bear witness to. 

    In the end, the Sons of Garmadon's fate would be put to a vote. Efficient? Absolutely not. Fair? Technically yes since everyone was able to get a say. Everyone who wanted to, much to Skylor's dismay as the people of Ninjago turned out to be very lengthy speakers. Looks like everyone had hidden trauma that needed to be sorted out.

    Even Cyrus Borg's voice sounded weary as he opened the floor to someone else. The accused gang members hadn't dared to utter a peep yet. 

    Pixal banished the conflict from her expression as she rose from her seat. Murmurs rippled across the room. Pixal was the first of those who had been closest to the Ninja to speak.

    The inventor diplomatically asked whether she would be speaking in defense or against the villains. He was a scientific man first and foremost and couldn't help but calculate the polls for the outcome of this meeting. So far, the odds were not in the Sons of Garmadon's favor but both sides offered such fiery arguments that this assembly stretched on and on. Eyebrows shot up all over the auditorium as Pixal firmly declared defense. 

    While Borg quickly schooled his surprise at his daughter's declaration, Skylor continued to stare in awe and disbelief. Yes, she appreciated that the bikers had come to their senses and helped fight for the right side in the end. However, she blankly ran her hand over the scars crisscrossing her arms, recalling all the pain and darkness they had wrought. The Master of Amber would not be so bold as to speak in the Sons of Garmadon's defense.

    Pixal aimed to keep her statement brief and concise. "Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness." She pointed to the former villains. "I will not argue whether or not their actions have atoned for their wrongs." 

    "I do not think anyone has directly told you this..." The Sons of Garmadon struggled not to shrink back as her sharp robotic gaze turned intently on them. Goosebumps prickled their skin at her next words. "I forgive you."

    At this point, Pixal was no longer speaking to the assembly but solely to the Sons of Garmadon. "Is this a logical decision?" She shrugged and shook her head as if hardly believing what she was doing either. "No, but I have come to the conclusion that while forgiveness is completely irrational, it is necessary if we are to move forward." Quoting her father, she said, "'The future is what we make it.'"

    Her voice caught a little on her next words but she powered through. "The Ninja gave us all a second chance. Do not disrespect their legacy and squander this opportunity. I cannot speak for everyone, but I am speaking for myself. Justice does not have to call for your death. I believe there is hope for you yet, which why I will not be demanding for your punishment. Justice, not vengeance. What's done is done. All that we can do now is rise from the ashes."

    As Pixal went back to her seat, a pensive, stunned silence fell upon the entire assembly. Mr. E caught her eye, nodding his respect to the Samurai.

    Skylor leaned over and whispered to Pixal. "How?"

    "To forgive someone does not mean you are not hurt. It simply means you let go of bitterness. We cannot hold onto grief or hate forever," answered Pixal softly, but her voice carried enough so that those in the surrounding vicinity heard her. "Believe me. Trying to wear a mask and pretend as if you are not hurt, hurts far more, and brooding does you no favors either."

    Wu mustered a small smile, proud at how profound Pixal had become. No one made a move to speak after her, carefully mulling over what she had said. 

    Skylor stared in awe and respect. She knew she didn't necessarily hate the Sons of Garmadon, but she couldn't find the wherewithal to forgive them. Not yet. The wounds still felt too fresh. One day though, she knew she could. After all, it would be hypocritical of her not to pardon a villain who was genuinely remorseful. Her mind warred with itself, but before her thoughts could spiral too far, Jet Jack crashed through a window. 

    People shrieked as shards of glass sprayed through the room. Many were unfamiliar with the Hunter, which encited even more panic as they thought a new villain had arisen to terrorize them.

    Jet Jack leapt to her feet, unheeding of the unfolding chaos. Her eyes roved over the frightened crowd and finally locked on her target. "Wu!"

    Seeing that  Wu knew the woman calmed the crowd considerably, and they quieted enough for Jet Jack to deliver her message. The winged woman's voice was thin and breathless as she declared. "You need to get back to the monastery!"

    Wu wanted to question what had Jet Jack so spooked, but her desperate, "Now!" spurred him and his allies into action.

    Neuro swayed on his feet, having already caught a glimpse into the mind of the Hunter. Fortunately, no one payed him any mind as he followed behind the others to the monastery. By the First Master, were they in for a major surprise.

    As they rushed out to attend to the emergency, Cyrus Borg floundered for words behind him. "Uh... we— we will reconvene same time tomorrow!"

    The inventor observed the Sons of Garmadon during the fiasco. Some were half-standing from their seats as if to go help, not that they'd be going anywhere with the cuffs around their wrists and ankles. 

    Borg felt pride swell within him for his daughter for speaking. Honestly, he was rather partial against the violent gang, but his daughter's words had been quite exceptional. She had come so far from the unemotional metal husk he had first created. 

    Grief? Forgiveness? Those certainly weren't concepts he had encoded into her but he was beyond happy she had learned them. Life was a tragic teacher, but a good teacher nonetheless. If Pixal had the capacity to grant grace through such heartache, he figured he and the rest of Ninjago could perhaps do the same.

    The epilogue will hopefully be out sometime tomorrow.

    "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times." - Matthew‬ ‭18‬:‭21‬-‭22‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 354 25
The saga that takes you through the journey of the 2 sons of Garmadon... While Lloyd and Harumi rekindle a lost flame, an evil presence starts to gro...
695 70 22
"You've just made yourself a target. Protect that book with your life." Convinced of the Overlord's return, Lloyd sets out to find the truth about t...
84.9K 2.3K 34
(A/N: Slowly editing) [Written: 2018 - 2021] After making peace with the former evil tyrant known as Lord Garmadon, Lloyd and the rest of the Secret...
187K 5.2K 44
At the age of two, Lord Garmadons only son Lloyd has been kidnaped by an unknown enemy. The parents of the young child is drowned in sorrow. Garmadon...