Falling for Death

By magdalenaandi

Book 1 in The Life and Death Duet This is the story of a boy who didn't think he could ever love somebody an... More

Shadow
Bakery
Interesting
Thoughts
Okay
Playlist
Party
Late
Secrets
Friends
Maybe
Dream
Something
Fight
Memories
Deja vu
This way
Gone
Life and death
Picture perfect
Before
Why me
Drained to nothing
Part of me
Reason
Date
Again
Therapy
Together
Shopping
One day
Promise
Traitor
Apart
Hate or love
Drivers license
The end of the world
Home
Anything
Dangerous
Hero
Perfect
Bloody valentine
Dance with the devil
Confession
Future
Flowers
Speechless
Her
It always ends
Loved and lost
Move on
Strangers
Life goes on
One last time
New beginnings
The one that got away
Epilogue
Author's note

Heated

11.8K 293 637
By magdalenaandi

Harper

I walked upstairs to my room and went into my bathroom. Staring at myself in the mirror, I let out a heavy sigh and leaned against the counter, thinking about today's events.

The 'double date' at the diner.

Sunset watching with Ace.

The fight.

How worried I was for him. It never crossed my mind much but I don't know why I'm so worried about him. Sure we were friends but I was worried to the point I felt sick.

It felt completely and utterly heartbreaking to think about what could've happened to him.

All these 'what if's' crowded my mind. He could've lost his life, and for what? A stupid fight. And worst of all, he didn't even care that his life was on the line.

It didn't hurt at all that when Ripper guy got shot, he hurt Ace, but it hurt when I watched Ace get beat up and pushed around. It absolutely terrified me.

It hurt when the crowd cheered every time he fell and when people were placing bets on him as if it was some kind of sports match.

Though, I guess that's what it was. But it hurt the most that people treated him like he wasn't human. It made my blood boil.

I shut out those thoughts and washed my hands then rinsed my face and patted it dry with a towel.

I picked up his clothes and changed into them quickly, but I kept on his chain. I grabbed my phone and checked my messages, hoping he texted me but to my request of giving me time and space, he didn't.

I already regretted telling him that.

It just really scared me earlier. I've never felt that way about anyone before. I don't know what I would've done if he didn't make it. Well obviously I would be crushed but I've only known him for such a short amount of time and I'm already gaining all these feelings towards him.

I have to keep reminding myself that he's okay, he won, he made it. It's over now.

I should call him.

Or maybe I should give him space.

Overthinking is a bitch.

I slapped my hand over my forehead and rubbed my temple frustratedly.

I sat down on my bed and pulled my blankets close to me, wrapping myself in them and scrolled through my phone.

I clicked Ace's contact and my finger lingered above the screen, hesitating to press call.

I laid down and stared at it.

My eyes started closing because of how exhausted I was. I kept fighting to stay awake.

It didn't work.

They shut completely, allowing my mind and myself to drift off into darkness before I got the chance to call him.

****

My phone rang loudly, making me wake up from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes and sat up.

The stupid device fell off of my bed and I realized that I fell asleep holding it. Idiot.

I groaned and picked it up. The ringing stopped then started again. Looking at the contact number, my heart skipped a beat as Ace's name flashed on the screen.

I pressed accept but was disappointed when it wasn't his voice.

"Harper." they said, like really loud because they were yelling over music. They're at a club.

"Who's this?"

"It's Grey." I was confused.

"Um hi Grey. Where's Ace?"

"Yeah about that." he chuckled quietly, "Can you come here. It's Ace. He needs serious help."

Panic rose in me.

"Where's here?"

"Viper's." he replied and I knew where that was. I've been there a few times.

"Okay- wait what's going on?"

"Dude's fucking wasted."

"K. I'll be there in ten." I ended the call and jumped out of bed.

I put on his jacket and quietly got out of my room, heading downstairs. I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my mom's spare car keys.

Walking out of the house, I made sure not to make a sound. I unlocked the car and got in.

Taking in a deep breath, I turned on the ignition and pulled out of the driveway. I got my drivers permit a few months back so I know how to drive but I just don't have my license yet, because of something about having to wait a year to get my full one and whatever.

I drove through the streets in the direction of the club.

And exactly as I had said, ten minutes later, I got there.

I got out of the car and hurried inside. The bouncer didn't question my appearance, because he saw the chain around my neck.

I mentally thanked myself for not taking it off and pushed passed people. I spotted Grey waving wildly at me, trying to get my attention.

I was out of breath by the time I made it over to him.

He said something but I couldn't hear him because of the music.

"What?"

"I said, he's right there!" he yelled, pointing towards a figure slouched on a couch. It was Ace.

He was indeed very wasted, drink in hand and all, his eyes were bloodshot red.

Did I cause this?

I sighed and went over. Sitting down next to him he looked at me and took another sip of his drink.

He stared for a while, then his face broke out into a lazy smirk. He moved over and placed his head on my lap, wrapping his arms around me.

"Harper!" he exclaimed, his words slurring. I smiled softly at him and he reached his hand to touch my face. I laughed and grabbed his hand off if my face.

"Ace. I'm going to take you home, okay?" he nodded, and squinted his eyes.

"Are we going to your home, sweet cheeks?"

"Yeah." he got off of me and pulled me up with him.

He stumbled back, dropping his drink to the ground, I caught him and steadied him by putting his arm over my shoulders.

I waved at Grey, letting him know we were okay. He nodded and thanked me. I helped Ace walk with me to the exit with a lot of struggle.

We made it to the car and he flopped down in the backseat. I shook my head in amusement and shut the door.

"Harper come back- oh there you are."

"Yes I'm right here."

"Can you kiss my cheek again?"

"Later." he frowned. Drunk Ace is kind of adorable.

"Okay." Not even a minute later, "Can you kiss it now?"

"I said later, Acey." he smirked.

"I like it when you call me that!"

"Really?" he nodded.

I smiled and started the car. When I drove off, his eyes widened.

"You have your license?"

"No."

"Don't crash."

"If you be quiet for the rest of the ride we'll be fine."

"Okay."

Ten minutes later, we were back at my house. I helped him out and opened the front door.

"Harper." he whisper yelled.

"We have to be really quiet Ace. My brother is sleeping." I told him.

"Oh okay!"

With more struggle, we finally got to my room and he immediately laid down on my bed. I laughed took of his jacket, placing it on my desk chair.

I sat beside him and pulled the covers over us. He snuggled his face in my lap and stared at me.

"Am I forgiven yet?" he said, I could hear the slight pain in his expressionless voice. My heart skipped a beat.

"I'm can't forgive you Ace."

"Why not? Please, I'll do anything." I shook my head.

"No I'm not forgiving you for something you shouldn't be sorry for in the first place." he gave me confused look.

"Of course I should be sorry-"

"Listen to me."

"I am." I laughed.

"You shouldn't be sorry for that. It's not your fault. You didn't know. I'm sorry for reacting like that."

"You had every right to do so." he said.

"No. I didn't."

"Everyone's right. I am a monster." another pang hit my chest.

"They're wrong. You're not a monster."

"Stop lying to me."

"I'm not lying."

"Promise?" he said after a while of saying nothing.

"I promise. Pinky swear." he chuckled.

"But why didn't you call me?"

"I was going to. But don't laugh, I fell asleep." his eyes lit up.

"So you were going to call me?"

"Yes."

"You weren't mad at me?"

"No. I wasn't. I just needed space and time that's all."

"You don't hate me?"

"Why would I?" he shrugged.

"I thought you never wanted to see me again."

"You were wrong."

"I'm never wrong."

"You sure about that?" he nodded.

"Alright, you should go to sleep."

"No."

"Ace!" I warned.

"But what if you leave?"

"I won't. It's my bed." his arms tightened around me.

"What if something happens to you?"

"Nothing will happen." he closed his eyes for a moment, processing what I just said and then grabbed my hands and placed them in his hair.

I smiled and ran my hands through his thick dark hair. He groaned in satisfaction.

"Will you promise to stay with me while I sleep."

"Of course." he slowly closed his eyes again and I laid down and moved him a little so his head was resting on my chest while I played with his hair.

His breathing slowed down and I knew he was fully asleep, I was staring at him, like a creep.

He looked so peaceful, his usual stern expression was completely gone, his beautiful lips formed into a small pout.

You know, sleeping used to be one of my favourite parts of the day because it's only time I could truly be at ease and feel safe.

But now, my favourite part of the day is when I spend it with him.

And in this moment, being with him, in my bed, my arms wrapped around him and his around me. It was perfect.

But something in the back of my mind told me not to get used to this because again, good things don't last forever.

He was better than just a 'good thing' he was amazing yet he didn't even know that himself, he was the person that has turned my life around in the best of ways.

Another thing I hate about myself is that I get attached too easily and I tend to catch certain feelings for people quickly. In this case, I got attached to Ace.

I never really wanted to fall in love or anything like that but sometimes... No. Never mind.

I simply ignored it that thought because love definitely isn't real.

If love was real than why would people have to go through heartbreaks and all that shit?

Love. Love. Love.

It's just a fairytale. People come and go. It certainly wouldn't keep people from leaving. It's just a temporary distraction from this horrible life.

I shut away those thoughts and locked it out if my mind.

I kissed his head and his cheek and pulled him closer to me. I closed my eyes and with that, I fell asleep. Feeling completely happy for once and at peace.

I woke up again when the sunlight hit my face, expecting to be in Ace's arms but was disappointed when I fully opened my eyes and realized he wasn't here.

I sat up and looked around. No sign of him and no evidence that he was even here last night.

Was he even here? Did I dream that? It was all in my head?

No.

It was real dumbass. He just left, that's all.

That's all?

I'm not going to lie, it really hurt. It hurt that he just left.

Maybe he had something to do? Yeah. Probably.

I sighed and grabbed my phone that was sitting on my bedside table.

No messages from him.

Odd.

I mean, he was really drunk last night and when he woke up he probably felt like he didn't really want to see me.

I turned my phone off and got out of bed, shaking away the thought of him from mind for now.

I quickly got ready and chose my outfit for the day, a simple black pleated skirt, an oversized graphique t-shirt and I put on some jewelry to got with that. I took my converse out of my closet and put them on.

I grabbed my bag and slipped my phone in there and headed downstairs.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge, picking out an apple. Taking a bite, I noticed a note on the counter. It said;

Eliot was feeling sick this morning, I brought him to the doctor.

- mom.

I nodded to myself, and felt a bit worried for him. I hope he's alright.

Though, it makes sense, winter is nearing and the flu is spreading around again.

Gross.

I quickly finished my apple and walked out of the house, locking the door behind me.

I was half expecting Ace to pick me up, but he wasn't there. I frowned knowing I had to walk to school.

I walked down the sidewalk and fifteen minutes later got to school. I headed inside and went to my locker.

No sign of Ace.

The bell rang and I hurriedly took out my notebook from my locker and slammed it shut. I pushed through the hallway and got to class exactly two minutes before the second bell.

I found a seat at the back and sat down.

The lesson started and I began taking notes, actually paying attention this time instead of doing whatever because exams are coming up.

I glanced out the window as I heard the calming sound of raindrops falling onto the window.

Soon enough, it began pouring and I felt both bad and jealous of those who were outside at this hour.

Then, the door opened and he walked in, I tried to catch his gaze but he didn't spare me a glance and sat down at the front. I was taken aback.

Maybe he didn't see me?

I continued staring when his gaze finally met mine. I offered him a smile to which he only gave me a cold look before turning away.

I felt a sudden pang in my chest.

Wow.

I was right.

The class went by at it's usually slow pace and so did the rest of the day.

It was still raining when I walked out of the building. I was about to pull out my umbrella from my bag, yes I always keep one in there just in case, when...

I caught sight of Ace leaning against his car, staring right at me with a cigarette in hand.

Wait why is he smoking when it's raining?

I was confused, do I go over or should I keep walking.

Keep waking!

He ignored you all day!

He nodded at me to come his way. I hesitated then went over and stood next to him, putting my hood up so my hair wouldn't get wet.

He didn't acknowledge me so neither did I.

Awkward.

He didn't say anything and opened the door for me. I got in and he got in on his side then pulled out of the school's parking lot wordlessly.

I could practically hear the silence between us.

He sped off down the streets and we sat there in an unbearable tension.

He showed no sign of recognition to what had happened last night so I chose not to bring it up.

Is he mad at me? Does he remember what happened? Did I do something wrong?

I swallowed the lump in my throat and mustered up the courage to tell him, "Ace. Stop the car."

He didn't.

"I said stop the car." he shook his head and continued driving.

"I want to leave. Stop the car." he slammed on the breaks.

I made a move to open the door and he didn't stop me so I got out and the harsh wind hit my face.

Slowly regretting my decision, I wanted to go back in but me being me and my petty self, I closed the door and crossed my arms over my chest, attempting to shield myself from the wind.

Rain fell down on me as I walked away from the car. But the sound of a door slamming stopped me for a moment. I frowned and shook away the thought of the possibility that he would chase after me.

I didn't look back so I wouldn't know.

I was about to keep walking when two strong arms wrapped themselves around my waist. Holding me tightly against his chest.

Of course he wouldn't let me leave.

"Let go of me." I said, trying to get out of his tight grip.

"Don't fucking walk away from me Harper." I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to face him when his grip loosened a little.

The nerve he has!

"You have no right to tell me that right now. You can't keep doing this!" I yelled at him.

"What?"

"Messing with my head! You keep changing so fast and it hurts me." he didn't say anything.

"One second you're nice to me, the next you're telling me not to leave you and then suddenly you ignore me!" no answer. He stared blankly into my eyes and his breathing became heavier.

He was mad now.

Good. Now he knows how I feel.

"Just leave me alone!" I said.

"I can't do that."

"Oh my god! Yes you can. Just leave! Let me go!"

"Never." Tears were streaming down my face now but they were covered by the raindrops falling so he couldn't see or so I thought.

"You're messing with my head too." I shook my head.

"Let. Me. Go." When he didn't, I shoved him hard in the chest but he didn't budge.

I tried again and again and again and again. He licked his lips and grabbed my arms, holding me in place.

My heartbeat quickened. We were so close. Our faces are inches apart from each other.

Eventually I gave up.

I let out an annoyed sigh, "Why?" I asked breathlessly. He let go of my arms.

Wrong move.

"Why what?" Excuse me?

"You asshole!" I poked his chest really hard. He didn't flinch. His jaw tensed and he grabbed my wrist tightly.

"Don't."

"You're so fucking confusing!" I said frustratedly. He chuckled bitterly.

We were both soaking wet from the rain and I had to say, he looked so hot right now, with his hair wet, raindrops sliding down his face.

Not now Harper!

I shivered as the rainfall got heavier and the wind got colder.

"You have no idea what you do to me." he told me.

"Oh yeah? Okay tell me, what do I do to you? Enlighten me!"

"You're all I can ever think of and I don't know how to stop it. I hate it." Ouch.

"Well I hate thinking about you too!" Lie. He shook his head.

"I hate it because I know I can never be more than your friend!" he said.

"What?" I whispered.

"I hate it for many reasons." he said in softer tone, "But most of all I hate it because you could destroy me."

My mind just stopped. Not literally but I couldn't process this information.

"How?" my voice cracked.

"No. Don't do that."

"What? Do what?"

"Just stop!"

"Ace, I don't understand."

"You have to stop caring about me. You have to."

"What why?"

"Because you can't fall for me." My heart broke at his words because maybe I already did.

"Why not?" more tears streamed down my cheeks.

His next words tore it apart even more.

"Because the only thing I'll ever do to you is break your heart. I'll ruin you, Harper." I shook my head.

He cupped my face with his hands, staring deeply into my eyes.

"I'll fucking ruin you." he repeated. My breath got hitched in my throat.

No.

Maybe he would do all those things, but I don't care.

I took in a few deep breaths.

"Then do it." I whispered. His eyes widened.

We were both breathing heavily now. Our heartbeats matching that same pace.

"Harper-"

"Do it. I don't care." he clenched his jaw and stared at my lips, I did the same to him.

For a moment we didn't move.

Then,

He smashed his lips against mine roughly, my eyes widened in surprise but I found myself kissing him back.

Oh my gosh.

He wrapped his other arm around my waist, holding me firmly against him. I wrapped my arm around his neck and placed my other hand on his chest.

Our lips moved together perfectly. He deepened the kiss as water poured down on us.

He kissed me like he was drowning, and I was his oxygen. The kiss was desperate and needy. It was perfectly imperfect.

"If that's what you want." he mumbled against my lips.

Authors note!!

Hehehehe finally they kithed <3

How are you liking the story so far?

Here's a quick update about my life; I finished reading 'the fault in our stars' before school yesterday and I cried. I started reading 'It ends with us' and I fell asleep in science class today.

Alright, thank you and have a nice day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
1.8M 30.1K 39
He's rich. He's dangerous. He's sexy. After moving to California, I met a notorious bad boy named Ace. As my feelings for him grew stronger, so did m...
64.9K 2.4K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...
2K 143 32
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...