Falling for Death

By magdalenaandi

Book 1 in The Life and Death Duet This is the story of a boy who didn't think he could ever love somebody an... More

Shadow
Bakery
Interesting
Thoughts
Okay
Playlist
Late
Secrets
Friends
Maybe
Dream
Something
Fight
Heated
Memories
Deja vu
This way
Gone
Life and death
Picture perfect
Before
Why me
Drained to nothing
Part of me
Reason
Date
Again
Therapy
Together
Shopping
One day
Promise
Traitor
Apart
Hate or love
Drivers license
The end of the world
Home
Anything
Dangerous
Hero
Perfect
Bloody valentine
Dance with the devil
Confession
Future
Flowers
Speechless
Her
It always ends
Loved and lost
Move on
Strangers
Life goes on
One last time
New beginnings
The one that got away
Epilogue
Author's note

Party

13.8K 349 351
By magdalenaandi

Harper

Groaning, I stared out the window as I was dying of boredom waiting for a customer to walk in, expecting someone to come in any moment now because it was pouring rain out there.

I watched as the cars drove by, pedestrians walked down the streets and the umbrellas being opened through the huge windows of the bakery, listening to the sound of rain drops falling against it loudly.

I had a half day shift so I can leave in about twenty minutes. Later, I have to go with Eliot to some party he was invited to along with my mom.

I was on cashier duty today and to my dismay there had been no customers this past hour.

Camille placed a tray of cookies on the counter beside me and gestured for me to put them on display. I did so and sat back down the the stool.

I've been busying myself by finishing assignments that are due next week, well that and thinking of a certain dark haired, devilishly handsome and tattooed boy that I haven't heard from since last week. He hadn't shown up at school.

I'm kind of worried about him but knowing that kind of person he is, I shouldn't be. I just can't help it.

I picked up my pencil again and continued working. The door finally swung open and for some reason I was expecting him but it was just one of our regulars.

I greeted her and went to prepare her usual. I gave it to her and she paid quickly, thanked me and was out of the bakery in no time. I sighed and went back to my homework again.

Apparently, my mom knows Eliot's friend's mom and she has an older son my age therefor my mom wants me to come along and I'm dreading it but she's going to pick me up as soon as my shift ends.

Every now and then I glanced at the clock as if it would change but it only moved at an agonizingly slow speed.

The door opened once again and I looked up from my work. My mom and Eliot walked in. I smiled at them and waved them over.

I could tell my mom was trying to get better, she's been coming home earlier than usual, drinking less, she even got a new job. I just hope she stays on this path. Eliot has been happier than ever because of this.

"Honey, is your shift done yet?" she asked, as she leaned against the counter in front of me. Eliot took a seat on the stool.

"Almost." I replied, five minutes. She nodded and I offered them some leftover cookies. He took one with no hesitation but she politely declined.

My mom preordered a box of pasties for the party and I prepared that earlier so she took the box and brought it to the car.

Since there was no customers, Camille said I could leave so I packed my stuff back in my bag and we walked out of the bakery.

I didn't have to go home to change because I was kind of already wearing something 'nice'. My outfit consisted of a mini black slip dress, a white long sleeved mock neck shirt, paired with black minimalist combat boots and obviously earrings.

We headed towards her car quickly as it was raining hard. Getting in, she drove off through the streets.

"Who's party is this again?" I asked, Eliot sighed loudly like he was annoyed. I laughed at him.

"It's Amelia's!" he said with a small tint of pink on his cheeks.

Now I know why he's all dressed up, he never dresses up not even for parties but I guess this one is different.

"Amelia. I don't know who that is." I said, smirking. He groaned and kicked my foot, not answering. I rolled my eyes and mom gave us an amused smile.

"We're almost there." she said, he grinned excitedly. I shook my head and pulled out my phone as I felt it buzz in my bag.

There was just a few texts from the twins and some random other ones. I put it away and looked back out the window.

It had stopped raining.

We pulled up to this huge ass mansion and she parked the car. Damn, who the fuck is my brother friends with.

Rich bitches.

The house was absolutely gorgeous, it was old and victorian styled and had a huge garden. It was amazing.

Oh to be rich.

Honestly, old money is the best. This is the type of house I want when I'm old enough to buy one.

With what money?

Shut up.

We got out of the car and Eliot was holding a huge box, the present, with flowers and my mom held the box of pastries.

It seemed that we were a little late because there was a lot of cars already here.

We hurried over to the door and mom rang the doorbell. And almost instantly, it opened, revealing a woman around mom's age and a little girl.

I recognized her, she was the kid sitting in the back of Ace's car when he drove us to school. She was his little sister, who was friends with Eliot.

Hold on.

This is Ace's house.

My mind froze but at the same time, was flooded with random questions. Is he here? Am I supposed to talk to him? What do I say?

"Eliot!" Amelia exclaimed, snapping me out of my thoughts. He smiled shyly at her. I nudged him in the shoulder, giving him a look to which he discreetly flipped me off.

"Hi." he said. I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing as he handed her the present and flowers.

She squealed and dragged him inside. The lady, who I'm guessing is her mother ushered us inside.

"Harper, this is Giorgia, an old friend of mine. She used to take care of you when you were younger." my mom said, and I stood there, smiling awkwardly, nodding my head as if I remembered.

You know when random aunties would tell you how much you've grown and how cute you were as a kid and shit like that, when you've never even met them before. Or they're like 'I held you when you were a baby'.

Well, it's really awkward cause I never know what to fucking say.

But I smiled and she pulled me into a warm hug. I gently patted her back and she kissed both of my cheeks.

My mom laughed and they started gushing about mom stuff.

Does my mom not know who these people are? Or what they do?

"Where's your son?" she asked Giorgia.

Ace.

I can't tell if I'm exited, happy or scared to see him or all three. But he's probably not even here. He's been gone all week.

"He's in the living room. Everyone is there." Giorgia replied, guiding us there.

And to say I'm nervous would be an understatement.

We walked further into their fancy house and I was stunned at all the beautiful artwork put on display, they even had this really nice piano. I admired it for a while then tore my gaze away from it when I heard loud voices of chattering coming from the living room or as they say in old fancy movies the 'parlour'.

We made it into the living room, where everyone was, and I spotted Eliot who already talking with other kids his age as well as Amelia.

Mom and Giorgia were already talking to other people and I was just there, alone and awkward.

Then somebody caught my attention. Obviously, it was Ace and he was already staring at me.

I smiled at him and he walked up to me. He didn't seem surprised that I was here.

Odd.

The scars and bruises on his face were faded, meaning that he was healing but the bandages around his hands were still there and I wasn't sure about the wound on his stomach. Though, he seemed fine.

I wanted to ask him where he was and what happened and why he was gone for a week but I didn't. It's really none of my business.

"Harper." he said.

"Hi." I said. He leaned against the wall behind us. I looked around the room, and my eyes widened at the amount of people here.

"Surprised?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. I laughed and nodded.

"Your house is really nice." I said, he smirked faintly.

"I don't live here." he replied, I frowned in confusion.

So he has his own house or he's homeless?

"I have my own house." he elaborated. I nodded slowly as if I understood the life of rich people. He chuckled quietly at my expression and pushed himself off the wall.

"Come on." he said, gesturing for me to follow him as he made his way towards the doorway. I went with him.

We walked down the hallway. I noticed multiple family photos, portraits and other artwork and I was amazed.

But I didn't see any ones of Ace, it was just Amelia, Giorgia and their father. Well, there was one with Ace but he had to be at least 10 in that photo.

Though, he wasn't smiling, he was so adorable. Oh my god.

"This way." I heard him call. I looked away and headed over to where he went. I caught up to him and he nodded towards the back door that lead to their garden.

We walked together in the garden and he guided me to a spot where there was a garden fountain and pink roses everywhere and I wanted to take a picture.

I gasped in awe as I drank it all in. He just stared at me expressionlessly.

Again, awkward.

I went over to the garden fountain and sat down on the edge. He sat beside me and lit a cigarette, placing it between his fingers and bringing it to his lips.

"I thought you'd like it." he said, breathing out. The smoke filled the air but it didn't bother me instead I smiled softly.

"Yeah, it's beautiful." I told him.

"My mother spent a lot of time gardening." he said.

"Your mom is really cool." I said.

"You know, according to her, we use to hang out as kids." he told me. I looked at him, stunned.

"Really?" I said, he nodded and glanced away from me for a second, almost seeming disappointed that I didn't know?

Probably not.

"I don't remember." I said.

"Neither do I." he said quietly but I could tell he had more on his mind. I wonder what? I laughed as I got an idea. I took out a penny that was already in the fountain and placed it on his lap.

"Penny for you thoughts?" I said, he smirked at the use of that line and shook his head in amusement.

"Make a wish." he said instead of replying to my suggestion. I smiled and happily made a wish and threw it back in.

"What did you wish for?" he asked. Um, a whole ass library just for me, money, my own bakery/book store, a car.

"If I tell you, it won't work." I said, he chuckled and took in another drag of his cigarette.

"Sure." he said, rolling his eyes. Then, I remembered something.

"Hey, wait how's your wound?" I asked.

"I don't feel anything, thanks." he replied, I pursed my lips, unsure of his answer.

"Are you sure?" I said.

"If you wanted to see me shirtless again, you could've just said so." he said, with that stupid smirk on his handsome face.

I rolled my eyes but I felt a my cheeks heat up.

"I already saw it once, I think I'm good." I retorted.

"Yeah, you-" he started but was cut off by Eliot and Amelia running over to us.

"Harper!" Eliot yelled, I sighed.

"What?" I said.

"What are you doing here? Amelia said that Ace doesn't like people coming here." he said confused.

I looked at Ace equally confused.

Wait what?

He only shrugged nonchalantly. Bringing the cigarette to his lips again. I then noticed Amelia looking at me very intently.

I offered her a smile.

She stared at me blankly and suddenly her face broke out into a huge grin.

"You're very pretty." she said.

"Thank you and so are you." I said, she blushed at my compliment and tilted her head to the side a little.

"And your hair is pretty, I love your outfit and I like your earrings. And your shoes too." she blurted. I laughed and from the corner of my eyes I saw Eliot grimace to which I shook my head at him. Ace was silently watching our interaction.

"Thank you, sweetheart. You're so cute." I said, she smiled, a big toothy smile.

So adorable. I wanted to pinch her cheek like those aunties.

"Shouldn't you two be inside?" I said, "Oh and happy birthday by the way." I added. She smiled and thanked me.

"She wanted to see what you were doing with Ace." Eliot said.

"Go back inside." Ace said suddenly. I laughed at their expressions as they both just ran away back into the house, giggling.

Though, I was somewhat relieved that he wanted them to leave, so we could be alone. Well, I don't know if that was his reason or not, but butterflies erupted in my stomach and chest.

"There's something else I wanted to show you." he said, getting up. He extended his hand towards me, and I took it.

It felt right, somehow.

I didn't know much about him but for sure I wanted to.

With our hands intertwined, we walked further into the garden until we reached a staircase that led up to the balcony. There were pretty flowers everywhere that because of time grew onto the railing.

We made it to the top and the view from here was alluring. I couldn't keep my eyes away. There was a slight breeze causing my hair to blow around.

I had to let go of his hand to fix it, but I immediately missed the feeling of his hand in mine.

What.

I went over to the edge of the railing and leaned against it. Ace did the same and I felt his burning gaze on the side of my face, making me a bit insecure.

"What?" I said, turning to face him again. He shrugged not making a move to tare is eyes away from me.

He slowly stalked closer to me, brought his hands to my face and moved a strand of hair and tucked it behind my ear. A faint blush appeared on my cheeks at the simple gesture.

He dropped his hand down to my waist and pulled me closer to him.

I felt him press a lingering kiss on my forehead and then he rested his head in the nape of my neck, inhaling deeply. He carefully wrapped his arms around me and caged me into his embrace.

I laughed at the sensation and slowly wrapped my arms around him.

I shouldn't be feeling this way about something as simple as a hug but this felt so good, being in his arms. No. I should'nt even be feeling this way about him.

And yet, I am.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.7K 2.4K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...
68.7K 2.3K 51
#BOOK1 in 'ACE' SERIES He was like storm. He liked silence. He had looks which could kill. He is cold , ruthless and arrogant as hell. He h...
27.5K 924 47
This story sucks, don't read it! It's amazing how quickly your life can change. In a slow town like this, where nothing exciting ever happens, wher...
3.4K 92 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...