The Slipper & The Magic Mirro...

By wrenlo

All Nicole wanted was an autograph. All Waverly wanted was to be rescued. A Wayhaught love story told as a fa... More

Chapter 1 - What the...
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 14

85 3 0
By wrenlo

As the rose continued to climb Nicole was able to look out over the forest and beyond. There really was something magical about this place, something the real world, her world lacked. Admittedly, there was danger and uncertainty, a sense of the right going wrong at any moment, and yet, underneath it all was an excitement and an expectation of a happy ending, of everything working out just fine, eventually. Right now, however, she was in dangerous uncertainty territory, clinging onto a stem hoping not to fall.

Nearing the window she called to Happily to stop, a flutter in her stomach as she tapped on the window to be let in, waiting for Waverly to oblige. And there she waited, and waited, hanging on the trunk of a gigantic rose wondering if she had chosen the wrong tower after all. Tapping again, a little disappointed not to see Waverly flinging open the window, welcoming her in with open arms, she peered inside unable to see anything because of the accumulated grime. Guessing they can't get window cleaners for towers this high, she thought, as she used her sleeve and a little spit to rub a small circle to see through.

There in the middle of a four-poster bed lay Waverly, fast asleep, a small candle flickering by her bedside. Sleeping beauty no less, a sight almost causing Nicole to let go of the plant, managing to hang on as her eyes took in the vision before her. Everything she and her companions had endured suddenly became worth the effort simply to be here, now gazing in at this beautiful creature.

Another thought entered her mind. If Waverly was asleep on the bed, how could she get in? Letting go of the stem with one hand, she fumbled in her pocket for the mirror, not quite sure how Waverly could talk to her and be asleep at the same time. Then again, she thought, this place is weird enough for that to happen. "Hi, it's me. I'm outside your window. Kind of can't get in."

Waverly's face appeared. "You've finally come. I knew this day would arrive."

"Yes, finally here. Only, I'm out here and you're in there asleep."

"Break the glass," Waverly suggested.

"Right, good thinking. What with? Oh, hold on, I've got it."

Nicole replaced the mirror in her pocket, pulling the sword from her belt, using the hilt to bang on the glass. No matter how hard she hit the pane it would not break, Nicole's wrist becoming sore in the process. "I'm not letting a fucking window defeat me," she said, as she took an almighty swing at the pane, the sword bouncing out of her hand, her eyes following its journey to the ground.

"What's happening?" Waverly asked, from inside Nicole's pocket.

"Dropped the sword."

"You don't need it."

"Kind of do."

"Simply break the glass."

"Trying to. It won't break."

"The glass. Break the glass."

"That's what I'm saying. Without the sword I can't break it. Actually, with the sword I couldn't either. It's hopeless. Nothing is as it seems."

"You've come so far for now to fail. I guess this is where we end the tale."

"No, no. I'm not giving up," Nicole replied. "Think, think. What do I have? What do I have? I could climb down and get the sword. But, it doesn't work on the glass. Fairy dust, a cape, a mirror, a rose stem. Wait, no, that wouldn't work. Although, maybe. Worth a try." Nicole called down to the flute. "Hey, Happily, up here. Here boy. That's a good flute. Happily, come."

The flute gave a toot as it floated its way up to Nicole, coming to rest in her hand. "Happily, play a tune to break the glass, there's a good flute."

The flute began to play a tune, a slow rhythmic tune, Nicole worried it might not be able to carry out her request. Suddenly it stopped playing, as if taking a deep breath, the instrument shaking in her hand as it let out one piercing note shattering the window.

Climbing inside, her ears still ringing from the final note, she placed Happily on a chair, approaching the bed, where Waverly remained asleep. "Made it," she yelled, not able to hear herself. "I have arrived." The beauty on the bed continued to sleep, Nicole shaking her, a thought occurring.

Testing her breath, wishing she had a mint, she placed one knee on the bed, her hands either side of Waverly's waist, bending over to kiss her softly. Their lips were almost together when Waverly opened one eye. "What are you doing?"

Nicole sprang back, tripping over herself in the process, landing with a thud on the ground. "Ouch. Sorry, sorry, I thought you were...that this is...were you awake the whole time?"

Waverly peered over the side of the bed, giggling at Nicole's embarrassment. "I'm forbidden to lend a helping hand."

"But the mirror. And the lake."

"Hand. No one said anything about helping words."

Nicole rubbed her backside, picking herself up, avoiding Waverly's eyes. "I thought you were asleep, and I had to...to wake you."

Waverly winked. "We can try again, if you like," lying down once more.

"No, I'm good. So, you fancy climbing down a rose stem."

"Oh," Waverly replied, sitting up. "Only, I thought..."

"What?" Nicole said, continuing to avert her gaze. "Thought what?"

"Only, I've been imprisoned a hundred years. I thought you might want to..."

"Want to what?"

"I was kind of hoping..."

Nicole lifted her gaze, grinning. "So, you do want me to..."

Waverly's cheeks flushed. "If you want to."

"Oh, I want to," Nicole replied, sweeping Waverly into her arms, kissing her with every ounce of passion she had.

When they eventually came up for air Waverly looked even more flustered. "Wow that was worth the wait."

"Told you my heart was true."

"Did you want to try that again?" Waverly asked. "It's been rather a long time."

"I'm guessing we'll have a lot of catching up to do."

The chemistry was instant, Nicole knowing in her heart she had found the one person who made her heart sing, who brought joy to her life. It was as if they were always meant to find each other, no matter what obstacles were placed in their way. Finally, after flutes and flowers, riddles and rhymes, witches and wizards, after every challenge they were together in each other's arms.

If they could have stayed like that forever Nicole would have been perfectly happy. Except, she had promised to free Waverly from the wizard's hold, rescue her friends and return to a world without magic. Sitting on the bed, watching Waverly gather the few belongings she had in a scarf she noticed her feet were bare. "Where are your slippers?"

"The wizard keeps them locked in a trunk in the dungeon."

"Obviously," Nicole said, with a sigh. "I'm supposed to destroy them to break the spell."

"That's right," Waverly replied. "I can't leave here until the slippers no longer dance."

"Figures. I mean, why would the last challenge be easy? I'm guessing there's a troll guarding them. A werewolf perhaps. No, that would be too easy."

"A dragon," Waverly said, tying the corners of the scarf together. "Pretty fierce. Breathes fire, that kind, incredible hearing and smell."

"Well, of course. So, we're talking impossible to get the slippers."

Waverly nodded. "Impossible. But, you've got this far."

"Right. This far to be turned into toast. Still, not a bad way to go out. Do you think we need to practise one more kiss before I'm torched?"

Waverly giggled. "Looks like both of us are making up for lost time. Let's deal with the dragon and I'll make sure we get to test out those lips of yours."

"Lead the way," Nicole said, wondering how on earth she was going to slay a dragon with nothing more than a flute, a cape and a bag of fairy dust.

Taking Waverly's hand, they opened the door of her bedroom, peering out. No guards, or guard dogs, no sign of anyone, burning torches casting an eerie glow on stone walls. Had it been this easy to enter Waverly's room, Nicole thought, I would have tried the main door of the castle. Making their way down the tower, they reached the bottom, Waverly placing a finger over her lips, Nicole nodding.

Tiptoeing across the courtyard, Nicole spied two ferocious looking beasts chained to the wall, sleeping soundly. Holding her breath, hoping not to wake them and become their next meal, she followed Waverly through a door, another set of steps before them. "This is the way to the dungeon," Waverly whispered. "We need to be extra quiet from now on."

Nicole could feel herself shaking, or was that Happily in her hand, patting it to reassure the instrument everything was okay, still with little idea how to fight a fire-breathing dragon. One important lesson she had learned was to go with whatever was happening, to trust herself enough that things would work out, that the answer would appear, that the challenge would be overcome.

The smell of rotting meat hit her nose as they reached the bottom of the stairs, Nicole grabbing the edge of the blue cape to place over her nose, trying not to retch. More torches lit the cavernous space, arches stretching out, leading in all directions. Scanning the space, she spotted a large wooden trunk in the centre, a heavy padlock on the side. Great, Nicole thought, and there's me thinking getting past a dragon would be the most difficult thing of the evening.

Waverly pointed to the far corner, miming what Nicole worked out must be a dragon. She pointed to her neck, moving her hand as if turning a key, Nicole looking at her wondering what she could possibly mean. Shrugging her shoulders, raising her hands, Waverly pointed to the chest, turning her hand again Nicole realising she was telling her the key was around the dragon's neck.

If Nicole could have laughed out loud she would have. Naturally the key to unlock the chest would be around the dragon's neck. Where else would it be? With absolutely no idea what to do next, she plonked herself on the last step, taking a moment to clear her thoughts. She knew she had everything she needed to succeed, everything within her possession, if only she could figure out what and how to use them.

Shaking her head, defeated by this final task, she again lifted her hands gazing up at Waverly, who was smiling at her. She's nothing, if not an optimist, Nicole thought, as she stood once more, watching Waverly begin a new mime. This time she was walking two fingers across her other hand, followed by what appeared to be her removing a cloak. Nicole copied the gestures, wondering if Waverly wanted her to use the cape as a matador would in a bullfight, once more wanting to laugh heartily. I mean, why not, she thought, although aren't matador capes usually red. Fuck it, nothing to lose, apart from most of my limbs, possibly my life.

Handing the flute to Waverly, removing her boots, the stone floor icy cold to touch, she began her last journey, edging closer to the beast snoring loudly, smoke rising up from his nostrils. It was a terrifying sight to behold, its black scaly body resembling that of a snakeskin, its head resembling that of a giant lizard. Willing her legs to move, feeling their resistance, she repeated her circles on palm mantra for comfort, her eyes falling on the tiny key attached to a collar hanging from the dragon's neck. Reaching out, her hand was almost on the key when the dragon opened one eye, then the other, its nostrils flaring as it took in the smell of fresh meat.

Rising to its full height Nicole closed her eyes, waiting to be flame-grilled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 531 15
Bella wood a workaholic wizard who ends up working at MACUSA , investigating the disappearance of Grindelward. Trying to busy her self from the const...
12.3K 409 30
A Christmas Wayhaught romance... Nicole Haught runs a bookstore, where a certain Waverly Earp spends time every Saturday. What will happen when the p...
130K 4.1K 36
[HIGHEST RANK #1 - wayhaught - August 2020 #13 - #rainbow - May 2020 #1 - #waverly - June 2020 #1 - #nicolehaught - June 2020] "You've got to be kid...
1.2K 41 1
After three years with the Auror Corp, Harry decides to follow his dream and open up a wizarding travel agency. Business is booming, and although his...