The Slipper & The Magic Mirro...

By wrenlo

All Nicole wanted was an autograph. All Waverly wanted was to be rescued. A Wayhaught love story told as a fa... More

Chapter 1 - What the...
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 11

79 2 0
By wrenlo

Jeremy's only thought was to act as if he had nothing in his hand. Something in his expression must have alerted his accuser to this limited game plan, the grumpy little goblin grabbing Jeremy's wrist before he could think of a better strategy. The shriek the goblin emitted brought out more of his small friends. "Thief! We have a thief, come to steal our precious gold."

"This is...I never. I assure you, I'm not here to steal your gold."

"Caught red-handed. A nugget the size of my hand in his pocket."

"I don't know how it got there," Jeremy pleaded. "This is a mistake."

"A mistake. A mistake," the goblin cried out, clearly enjoying tormenting the stranger before him. "A mistake. You call stealing a mistake."

"I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation," Nicole offered, trying to calm the situation. "My friend wouldn't steal."

"Then why is there gold in his pocket?"

"You have plenty," Robin piped up, Jeremy and Nicole glaring at him. "What's one nugget from so many?"

"Really not helping here," Nicole whispered. "What my friend means, we have no intention of keeping it. In fact we were bringing it back to you. Isn't that right, Jeremy?"

"Err, yes, that's right. We found it."

"Found it. Found it. Where?"

"Err, over there, on the road to here. Someone must have dropped it."

"Dropped it. Dropped it. I think not. Liars as well as thieves. Seize them."

With that the trio were set upon by the goblins, trying as best they could to break free, unsuccessful in their attempt. Ropes tied round their wrists, they were marched to a storeroom at the end of the row of houses, the door locked behind them. "Great," Nicole said, attempting to reach the knot holding her arms behind her back. "Just great. Oh no. No, no, no. The rose, they took the rose and the flute. I hate this place. I seriously fucking hate this place."

"I really didn't steal the nugget," Jeremy explained. "I had no idea it was in my pocket until I felt it."

"I believe you," Nicole said. "It doesn't matter how it got there. The bigger problem is we're back to square one, tied up in some kind of barn and our bits have been taken. Actually, it's worse than square one as I'm out of wishes."

"My dear friend, are you ready to give up?" Robin asked. "It sounds like you are."

Nicole shook her head. "Nope, not ready to give up yet. Someone untie me."

"But, you said yourself it's hopeless."

"It's not hopeless," Jeremy said. "Yes, things are not in our favour right now, but if we work together we'll find a way out of this mess."

"Easier said than done," Robin continued. "Get the positive attitude vibe, but without the items we can't rescue the dancer and without the map and carpet we're essentially lost."

Nicole glared at him. "And you're not helping by stating the obvious. Why I had to use my last wish."

"Oh, so you regret using it to rescue me. Well, I should have known."

"Hey," Jeremy interrupted. "What's happening? We'll never make it if we're fighting between ourselves. Here's what I think we should do."

Jeremy proceeded to lay out his idea, Nicole nodding. "It could work. It's a long shot, but we've got nothing to lose. Did you see where our things went?"

"The first house," Robin offered. "I agree, your plan could work."

Jeremy hauled himself up, looking around the storeroom for something to cut that which bound them. Spying a jagged nail sticking out of a wooden plank he used it to fray the rope holding him, enough to be able to break free. No sooner were his hands released when the door to the storeroom opened, a group of goblins entering still looking as angry as ever. "Oh, so you think you can escape do you? Bring them to the courthouse."

The three were marched back to the first house where the goblin who accused Jeremy of stealing sat behind a large table, a pair of spectacles perched on his nose and a black handkerchief on his head. "Really, really don't like this," Nicole said, as she was shoved in the back by one burly goblin. "Hey, not so rough."

Goblins filed in, the room becoming packed almost immediately, the three forced to huddle in one corner, looking down on these folks who wanted justice. "You were caught stealing, what do you have to say?" the goblin at the table said. "Speak up, we haven't got all day."

"We're sorry for all the trouble we've caused," Jeremy began. "It really was a mistake. If you could overlook this and let us be on our way."

The goblin peered over his glasses. "Do you think you can waltz in here and take what belongs to us? I fear if we let you go there will be a rush of others eager to take our hard earned gold."

"No, I promise, we won't tell a soul," Nicole insisted. "We are on a quest. We have but a short time to rescue the dancer. We were so close."

The goblin removed his glasses, placing them on the table before him. "The dancer. Why didn't you say?"

Jeremy looked at his companions. "We did. I said we're here to rescue Waverly."

"Is that her name? I often wondered. We've had a few pass through here saying they too were on a quest to rescue a dancer. And, may I ask, is your heart as true?"

Nicole rolled her eyes. "If one more person says that. Yes, my heart is true."

"Only, you don't appear convinced of this," the goblin observed. "I sense you are merely paying lip service to the statement."

"What? Is this a joke?" Nicole replied, bristling at being called out on what she herself knew to be true. "I'm totally into this quest. I couldn't be more into it if I tried. I've had to battle cats and swim in lakes and answer questions. I nearly drowned in a room with no escape. So, if you're going to..."

"Calm down," Robin said. "It's not helping our case. Just tell them what's in your heart."

Nicole looked at her friend. "I...not in front of all these strangers. It's between me and Waverly."

"Well, it looks like you won't get your Waverly if you don't tell them what you're really feeling."

Nicole shook her head. "I can't."

"Then all three of you will be put to work in our mine. Take them away."

"No, wait," Nicole said. "There's something about her. There's something that made me want to free her from wherever this is. There's a spark, a light in her eyes, a way of being that's keeping me connected."

"Do go on," the goblin invited. "Tell us more."

"Sometimes you meet someone, by accident, or by design. I thought our meeting was an accident, me wanting an autograph. I think I was meant to meet Waverly. Is my heart true? If that means will I let her be free, then yes. If she wants to stay, get to know me, then that'll be great. If not, well I'll be happy too."

"Wise words," the goblin remarked. "Wise indeed. A caged bird sings less sweetly."

"She's been caged enough in this place. I'm the last person to want her to be obligated to me once she's let out of this prison. It will be the sweetest reward if she does choose me, but I accept it might not be so."

The goblin took the black handkerchief from his head, wiping his eyes. "You have moved me with your words. I believe your heart to be true and it would be wrong of me to stop you on this quest of yours. I will release you, but on one condition."

"Name it," Nicole said.

"The one who stole our gold must remain behind. It is only fair he helps us in our task of extracting nuggets from the land."

"But...but, we need Jeremy," Nicole protested. "He's the brains of this team."

"Alas, we all must make sacrifices. What is it to be? None free, or one remains."

The companions looked at each other. "Go," Jeremy said. "You can't jeopardise this for me. Just remember to come back this way on your return."

"No, I'm not leaving you," Nicole insisted. "All for one and one for all."

"As you said yourself, we're so close to ending this. And, I'm guessing this is part of some mind game being played here. You must go rescue Waverly."

"This sucks," Robin said. "I've only just come back and you're having to stay behind."

"I have every confidence in your ability to get Waverly out. Just remember, stay calm, think logically and Robin don't eat anything else you hear."

Nicole turned to the goblin behind the desk. "You promise not to harm my friend."

The goblin smiled. "We are gruff people, but fair. Your friend will be required to work for no more than the allotted time you have in this land. After that he is free to make his way back to Riddle Me Do. He will be cared for while working for us here."

"And, our things. We need our things. All of them, including the mirror you took."

Two goblins pushed through the crowd laden with their belongings, dumping them on the table. "I believe these are yours. Go and free the dancer. I wish you well Nicole Rayleigh Haught. I hope you do get your girl."

Gathering up the items, hugging their friend, Nicole and Robin left Jeremy to his fate, heading outside. The moon hung low in the sky casting a pale glow over the shimmering scene, Nicole annoyed at herself for having listened to Robin's suggestion to visit the Valley of Gold. Such a wasteful exercise and such a waste of their precious time. Had she had to make the decision again she would have overridden Robin's and headed directly to the enchanted forest.

Seated on the carpet, rising up into the sky, the pair were silent as they made their way on what Nicole hoped was the final part of their journey. The forest lay ahead, dark and uninviting, Nicole wishing Jeremy was still with them, wishing she hadn't used up all her wishes, wishing she could see Waverly's face. She hardly knew her, had spent so little time with her and yet she brought something new to her life.

In many ways being on a flying rug in the middle of a foreign land summed up her old life perfectly. Not quite knowing where it was heading, she had been happy to go along for the ride, letting things happen, not speaking up when she needed to. And, here again she found herself without a trusted ally because she hadn't spoken up about her reservations.

Robin looked over. "This is fun. I so want one of these."

"Are you worried about leaving Jeremy?" she asked.

"Of course. But, he understands. Just as you understood to leave Robin."

"We had to. You face planted into your apple pie."

"Why do we have a blue cape?" Robin asked holding it up. "There's so little room on this carpet. Shall I ditch it?"

"No, best not. The little girl who gave it to us said it will be useful."

"Maybe, maybe not. We can't carry everything."

"No, we keep it. Why did you want to stop at the valley?"

"Did I?" Robin said, looking puzzled. "Wish we hadn't. I should have known your suggestion would lose us time."

"It wasn't mine. It was you. You wanted to go there."

"Are you sure? Oh that's right. Yes, it was me. I thought I heard the tavern owner say the goblins have magic rope able to scale any wall, or building."

"Why didn't you say before?"

Robin winked, pulling a small piece of rope from his pocket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 244 26
Nicole thinks she is unlovable. Can Waverly change her mind? Nicole sent a last email to the Paris office. She headed to the pool, long slow strokes...
8K 224 25
A series of one shots, all about Wayhaught...!
2.3K 155 40
Contemporary Wayhaught fantasy story set between two worlds. Gone eleven on a wet winter's night, Nicole hadn't intended stopping for anyone else. Th...
363 36 23
Ivelle Preston had a perfectly normal life. She grew up in small English town, and she always wished she had a more adventurous life. Her wish came t...