The Slipper & The Magic Mirro...

By wrenlo

All Nicole wanted was an autograph. All Waverly wanted was to be rescued. A Wayhaught love story told as a fa... More

Chapter 1 - What the...
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 10

90 4 0
By wrenlo

"How did you know?" Nicole asked, pulling on her boots. "To follow me into the lake."

Jeremy rolled out the map on the ground, retrieving the lantern. "Because of the Forest of Foreboding. It affected you more than us. I guessed this place isn't called the Lamenting Lake for nothing."

"You were bleating. In the forest. It got to you too."

"Inside. The forest got inside you. Made you believe what was being said. I don't know what you told yourself out there in the water, but I saw you struggling on the outward journey. Figured you'd need help getting back."

"I did. You're right, I'm hard on myself sometimes."

Jeremy held up the lantern. "It's okay to let others see your weaknesses. Yes, some will use them against you, but that's how you tell the good from the bad. Loyal from disloyal."

"They should rename this world Therapy Central," Nicole replied sarcastically, earning a look from Jeremy. "Sorry, I get what you're saying. I'm my own worst enemy."

"That's better," Jeremy replied. "I'll bill you for my services when we're out of here."

Two of the required items now in their possession, the lantern and the carpet at the ready, the companions studied the map before them. "There's nothing on here to indicate where we go next," Jeremy remarked, casting the lantern's light over the unrolled parchment.

"I could ask Waverly," Nicole suggested, pulling the small mirror from her pocket. "Hey, where do we find the third item?" she asked, waiting for Waverly to reply. Silence. "We need your help."

Jeremy lifted the lantern to shine a light over the small mirror, Nicole's face the only reflection. "I could do with your help right now," she continued, hoping their connection hadn't been broken. Silence. There was no sign of Waverly, Nicole looking over at Jeremy. "I think she's gone."

Jeremy lowered the lantern. "What does she mean to you?" he asked, picking up a stick from the ground, tracing a pattern beside the map. "I get the quest. But, what does the dancer mean to you?"

Nicole's eyes followed the path Jeremy was tracing on the ground. "I'm not sure. I think...I don't know. How did you and Robin end up together?"

"Robin was the life and soul of a party I went to," Jeremy began. "I stood for hours watching him, too scared to go over and introduce myself. Thankfully, a mutual friend recognised we might be good for each other, brought Robin over to talk to me."

"That's really sweet. Robin said you seduced him."

"Kind of. You two are very alike. He doesn't believe he's lovable."

Nicole swallowed hard at Jeremy's words. She now knew Jeremy was on her side, as was Robin. That her two companions would support her, make sure she got through whatever it was they now found themselves having to battle. Comrades in arms, knights true, allegiance to the last.

Her thoughts turned to Waverly, casting her eyes out over the lake, silently thanking her for helping in the water, recognising she too wanted her to succeed. "I won't let you down," she whispered to the water. Waverly did not respond, Nicole wondering whether letting go of the flute caused her to disappear. There was no way of knowing without Waverly telling her. Jeremy rolled up the map. "We're two items in with one to go. I get the feeling things are going to get weird from now on."

Nicole laughed, her body relaxing. "Like nothing's been weird up to this point. Everything's been perfectly normal. I wish Robin was here with us."

"No, no, no," Jeremy exclaimed. "You've used our last wish. We might have needed that."

Robin emerged from the same spot where the annoying little girl had disappeared, yawning, stretching his arms. "I so needed that sleep. Where are we?"

"At the Lamenting Lake," Jeremy said. "How did you get here?"

Robin looked around. "I have absolutely no idea. One minute I'm eating the most delicious apple pie I've ever tasted, the next I'm here. This place is weird."

"Yep, it's that alright," Nicole said. "I'm glad you're here, even though we now have zero wishes left."

"That's a shame. I really fancy a burger and fries right now."

"So, what's the plan?" Nicole asked, turning to Jeremy. "We can't stay here."

"True. But, the question is where do we go next?"

"Where would the shoes be?"

"That's fairly obvious," Robin replied. "On the dancer's feet."

"So, we go where Waverly is," Nicole added. "Which means the castle."

Jeremy huffed, unrolling the map again, the three amigos searching it for any reference of a castle. Nothing, not one piece of information, or sign, to indicate where the castle might be located. "I'm positive the castle was marked on the map before," Nicole said. "I'm sure I saw a path leading to the edge of an enchanted forest, which the owner of the tavern said would lead us to the castle."

"The map has changed since we first viewed it," Jeremy replied. "There are now five enchanted forests marked on it and as far as I can see no castle."

"This is like one of those memory games," Robin said, peering over Jeremy's shoulder. "Wow, the map really has changed. It's totally different to the one I saw in the tavern. Is it the same map even?"

Nicole and Jeremy looked at each other, then at Robin. Jeremy got there first. "Do you remember what the original map looked like?"

"I think so," Robin replied. "I guess. There's a lot going on with this map."

"There is," Jeremy offered. "But, you saw the layout before it changed. Hopefully your memory of it will be better than ours."

Jeremy scanned the map. "This is hard. Where's Riddle Me Do? If you could show me where that is on here I think I could find the enchanted forest."

Jeremy and Nicole scoured the map, Jeremy eventually spotting rhyming words above a small village in the lower right-hand corner. Robin placed his finger on the location taking his time to recall the map he had seen, eventually deciding the enchanted forest they needed must be the one beyond the Valley of Gold. "Are you sure?" Jeremy asked, alternating his gaze between Robin and Nicole. "If we get this wrong, we're a long way from the other four forests."

"I remember it being near a valley," Robin insisted. "If you think it's not that one."

"No, you're right," Nicole said. "I think I remember the map having a sign for gold not far from the forest. Okay, we go there."

Jeremy rolled up the map once more, handing it to Robin for safe keeping. "Nicole, can I have a quick word?" he said, motioning for her to follow him into the bushes. As soon as they were out of hearing range, he whispered his concerns. "I'm not convinced Robin knows which enchanted forest we need to visit."

"I agree. But, what choice do we have. Time's against us, Waverly's in a castle somewhere and we're out of options. Oh, and wishes. My gut tells me we go to this forest beyond the valley, deal with whatever is thrown at us."

"Under normal circumstances I would agree. But, we have to be sure this is the right way. Otherwise, we'll be stuck somewhere and fail in the quest."

Nicole patted Jeremy's arm. "I trust Robin. My vote is with him."

Returning to the edge of the water, Robin was gazing out at the view. "This is so beautiful. Why would anyone want to leave?"

"I don't know," Nicole replied. "Perhaps because it's coocoo land. This place doesn't play by the rules."

"Is that a bad thing?" Robin asked.

"Guess not. I kind of feel I needed this place to make me realise what's important."

"And what would that be Nicole Rayleigh Haught?"

Nicole prickled at her full name being used, letting it go. "I nearly abandoned my friends because I didn't think I deserved their friendship. Correction, I abandoned you and I'm sorry. I didn't want to leave you behind."

"I'm not mad at you," Robin replied. "A little disappointed you chose Jeremy over me."

"No, that's not right. I didn't choose Jeremy. You're my friend. Jeremy was there for me when I needed him most. You're lucky to have him."

"I am. Do you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you."

"Good. So we go to Gold Valley."

"We go to Gold Valley. Wait, no. We go to the enchanted forest beyond the Valley of Gold."

"That's what I said. Although, I think if we made a detour to Gold Valley it would help the quest."

Nicole looked at Robin. She knew he was smart, on her side, there for her if and when she needed him. He had been a shoulder to cry on when her relationship with Shae fizzled. He consoled her, got her drunk, listened to her tell him she needed to find someone who made her feel like she was the most important person in their life. It wasn't that Shae hadn't done that. Sure, at the beginning, when everything was new and exciting, telling Nicole she was the one. And then, she wasn't the one.

There were no rows, or angry words, just a dullness, a layer of dust collecting on the relationship that told Nicole they were both settling for almost. Almost in love, almost prepared to carry on like this forever. Had she been brave in deciding to move out from their apartment? No, the opposite. She mentally moved out months before Shae made the actual announcement that perhaps they needed some space, that it might do them some good. Had Shae been privy to all her google searches she would have seen her history of flat hunting, and job hunting, and new life hunting. Her quest to find what was missing in her life. Her quest to find joy. That's what was missing. The joy of being with someone, no matter how crazy, or how messy, or how infuriating at leaving soggy towels on the bed. The simple joy of another.

It was a tight squeeze for the three on the half-chewed carpet, huddled together on the remaining piece, soaring high into the sky. Nicole fancied using this mode of transport in New York rather than having to contend with cabs and the sidewalk. It would certainly make it easier to get around the crowded city. The Valley of Gold came into view, a glittering spectacle comprising mounds of nuggets mined by goblins creating a lustrous landscape illuminated by moonlight.

The carpet landed with a heavy thud close to one of the larger piles of gold, the companions assigned the various items from their quest, Jeremy holding the lantern and the blue cape, Robin with the map and the carpet, Nicole with the flute and the rose. She wasn't entirely convinced they needed to have made this detour, hoping they still had enough time to do all they needed to do, sensing she may have lost them some time with her less-than positive attitude in the forest and the water.

Jeremy shone the lantern over the path, pointing to a row of houses. "Guess we're going there," he said, leading the way. Knocking on the first door he waited for it to open, smiling as a man half his size appeared.

"What do you want?" the goblin snarled.

"We are on a quest to save Waverly."

"Are you now? Me thinks you're here to steal some gold."

"Good man, I assure we're not."

"Empty your pockets," the goblin hissed.

Jeremy turned to his companions, rolling his eyes. "You heard the fellow."

Nicole turned out hers first, the goblin grabbing the mirror from her hand. "Hey, that's mine. Give it back."

"A gift. 'Tis mine now."

Next was Jeremy's turn, his hand wrapping around a gold nugget which mysteriously had found its way into his pocket.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 593 32
10 years later and luckily a gentle breeze seemed to have soothed all the scars. Wynonna and Doc lived together with Alice. Nicole and Waverly were r...
10.6K 231 8
Nicole finishes her late shift from the Purgatory police department, when a beautiful stranger appears at her door. What will become of them. Read an...
8K 224 25
A series of one shots, all about Wayhaught...!
223 83 13
{{ THIS BOOK IS THE FIFTH AND FINAL INSTALLMENT IN THE TITULAR SERIES. PLEASE READ THE FIRST FOUR BOOKS FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING. LOVE Y'ALL ♥}} ~ON...