Safe (BatBoys)

By EEDASN

Cora spent the best summer of her life with the Batfam, learning, loving, and growing. Starting school should... More

Welcome to Hell
Nerve Wracked
Fighter
Jealousy
Walk the Streets
Jokes On You
Bitter
Broken
Flustered
Fine
Annotated
Permission
Custody Battle
Normal Again
Missing Piece
Banter
Movie Night
Coddling
Finally
Partner
Sister In Law
Big Brother
Loss
Painted Perfection
Therapy Session
Help
Group Chat
Delirium
Love Sick
A Gift
Cell Block Tango
Happy Birthday!
Fine
Date Night
Finally Safe
The End A/N

We Can Do This

315 12 1
By EEDASN

Damian:

I blink open my eyes. That isn't my ceiling. 

Looking down at the weight on my chest I realize it's Cora's ceiling. Otherwise, someone moved the both of us. She's completely asleep, peaceful, and oblivious to the world.

I remember how I got here. I woke up at 1 in the morning to Cora screaming my name. I have never been more thankful that my room is beside hers. I'm still worried about Cora and her initial reaction to seeing me.

I glance over at the dagger that has been discarded by the door. Perhaps that was it? But her instinct wasn't that I was there to protect her. In her dream, I apparently called her worthless, or something similar. 

Dreams are supposed to help our brains process information and thoughts. Does that mean she doesn't believe she's worth everything to me? Am I not trying hard enough to prove it to her? I don't know how much more I can do to show her. 

She did say that she could believe it, just not right then. That reminds me of her speech with Charlotte when she told her about moving.

Perhaps it will take time, as I said. She mentioned that it took scientific evidence to prove that I do genuinely want her in my life. I suppose reminders and small gestures will have to work for now, but I will be doing my best to show her at every opportunity.

My thoughts are stopped short when I sense someone at the doorway. I turn my head only to find Drake with the biggest grin on his face. 

He pulls out his phone and I glare at him. I shake my head softly so I don't wake up Cora. He nods rapidly. I hate my siblings, but he just takes the cake.

"Drake don't you dare." I threaten in the quietest voice I can manage. He grins wider.

"Ah ah ah, if you move you'll wake her up. You're trapped demon spawn." He taunts.

"I will murder you in your sleep," I growl lightly. 

"But you'd have to let her go first, and we both know you're too soft to do that." He says and I hear his camera go off a few times. 

"I am not soft. I am still technically an assassin, Drake. I could kill you and hide the body where no one will find it." I state with narrowed eyes. He chuckles.

"Aww, but what would Cora think?" He leers. I have no argument for that one actually.

"Who says she'd know?" I question, gaining back my usual confidence with a smirk.

"Oh please, I'm her favorite brother beside you. She'd know." He says confidently. I roll my eyes.

"I think she may like Grayson more." I tease. He scoffs and snaps more pictures.

"I don't care how similar they are, I'm her favorite." He states. I roll my eyes.

"No comment." Cora mumbles. Her face is scrunching up and her eyes are blinking blearily.

"Good morning, Beloved," I say gently. She smiles up at me.

"It is now." She states. She's obviously still tired.

"Well, that's sweet. Disgustingly sweet." Drake comments. I roll my eyes.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Cora asks, turning her head to look at him. I still can't move.

"I had the best night of my life last night, thank you for asking." He says happily. This is going to be torture.

"Timmy, I don't need to hear about that. Gross." Cora says.

"Wha- No! No! Not like that! Gutterhead." He says, getting flustered. Okay, this has merit now.

"Not a difficult assumption. Anyways, why was it so good?" Cora asks. I feel at least a little out of place here.

"I cuddled with Jay." He says with a smirk. Why am I here? The only thing stopping me is Cora's arms around my torso.

"That's great Timmy. So did you confess?" She asks, getting invested. 

"No. I woke up before him and then left so it wasn't awkward. Now I'm here." He says with a disappointed sigh.

"How did you even start cuddling in the first place?" I ask, chiming in for the first time. 

"Well, I woke up while he was carrying me. Then he tried to get me to sleep and he had to hold my arms down to stop me and then we ended up on the bed and then I fell asleep with his arms around me." He recounts, gaining a red blush and some bashfulness.

"I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that." Cora states.

Distantly, I hear my alarm blaring. That's my cue.

"I need to leave, Beloved," I say regretfully. She groans but rolls over anyways. I see her wince. I feel my heart tug but she smiles at me.

"Have a good day, Dami." She says. I get out of her bed and give her a quick kiss.

"Get some more rest today, Beloved," I tell her. I see her roll her eyes playfully.

"I will do my best." She offers. I scoff but leave anyways. Drake watches me go and I see him sit on the edge of Cora's bed as I close the door. 

I get ready quickly and grudgingly make my way down to the front door. I say goodbye to Titus and I step outside. I regret waking up already.

Thankfully the day passes quickly. I get more paperwork for Cora, which I still need to give her. No one else mentions Cora until Phys. ed. 

Kaidan jogs with me again today. 

"Hey man! You doing okay?" He asks, similar to yesterday.

"I'm fine. Why do you ask this time?" I question.

"You seem tired, that's all. Did something happen?" He presses. He doesn't comprehend personal business, does he?

"Long night, early morning. I'm fine." I state. He laughs.

"Dang, guess Cora really is feeling better." He snickers. I narrow my eyes.

"How do you figure?" I question. His face falls and he clears his throat awkwardly.

"Uh, never mind. Is she doing better?" He tries. I still don't know exactly what he meant but he obviously doesn't believe I'll like it.

"That is a question I don't know the answer to," I admit with a sigh. He sighs with me.

"Rough night then?" He asks.

"Something like that," I say.

"Night terror?" He guesses. I raise an eyebrow.

"What makes you think that?" I ask suspiciously.

"A lot of people get them. You also said you had a late night and an early morning. It's just a guess, bro." He says casually.

"Good guess," I mutter.

"I get that a lot. I recommend a white noise machine and maybe something to cuddle with. It won't stop them but they help to get them to sleep." He says. 

"Again I ask, why do you know this?" I try.

"Oh, Ri- ahem, Really good friends of mine get them during sleepovers and stuff." He says. Was he about to say, Riley? As in Riley Mikelson? I could use this for blackmail.

"I'll mention it to Cora," I state. He grins.

"Sweet. Any idea when she'll be back?" He questions.

"Whenever Pennyworth deems her healthy enough," I say with a shrug. I really miss her.

"Is 'Pennyworth' her doctor?" He presses.

"He's our butler. He has many talents." I inform.

"Cool. I hope she can come back soon. Riley misses her." He says just as casually as always.

"Just Riley?" I question, feeling a little protective. He puts his hands up in surrender.

"It's like you said, dude. I don't know her well. We're definitely not close enough for me to miss her like that." He admits, his gaze on the path ahead of us.

"I'm honestly surprised. Cora charms literally everyone she meets." I say with a breathy laugh.

"Well, she was kidnapped. So not everyone." He defends. I smirk.

"One of her captors got attached enough to demand a therapist for her. I do mean everyone." I say proudly. Only Cora would be able to charm a Supervillain.

"Didn't she get taken by Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn? Yeah, I don't believe you." He says defiantly.

"She starts seeing Dr. Quinzel after she starts going to school," I say with pride. I may not be happy about it, but I'm still proud of Cora's innate ability.

"Whoa, hold up. Dr. Quinzel?! Like Harley Quinn?!" He shouts.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread that part around, but yes. Cora charmed a God damn Super Villain." I say, letting the exasperation seep into my voice.

"Does she have powers or something? Is she one of those mega things?" He asks, obviously impressed. I enjoy bragging about my girlfriend.

"Meta. And as far as we know, she isn't one." I explain. I almost feel prouder at that fact.

"Dude. You gotta be careful with her then. She's gonna have a posse of guys falling for her." He says warily.

"I trust her. But are you trying to tell me something?" I suggest, narrowing my eyes into a glare. He swallows thickly.

"Nah, I uh, I like someone else." He says with a small dust of pink appearing on his cheeks. I raise an eyebrow.

"Would this someone happen to have pink hair?" I say with a smirk.

 He trips onto his face. I stop just to smirk down at him.

"You can't tell her!" He says loudly. Well, now I'm glad we're ahead of the group.

"We have an understanding then. No one knows about Dr. Quinzel, I say nothing to Mikelson." I state. He sighs as we begin jogging again.

"Easy enough. I wasn't gonna snitch anyway." He grumbles. 

"I leave nothing to chance," I state. He rolls his eyes.

"Of course you don't." He says to himself.

The class passes uneventfully after that. I find that I don't mind talking to Kaidan.

I'm still anxious to get home to see Cora. I say hi to Titus again before sprinting to our hallway. I stop myself just to seem calm and collected.

I knock softly, getting the same reply again. 'One minute'.

I assume she's hiding that canvas from yesterday. The canvas itself looks familiar, but I won't inspect it for now. It's very clear that she doesn't want me to see it.

"Come in!" I hear, her voice muffled through the door. I open it and I'm happy to see her lying down. I can see the canvas underneath her bed. She's not making this easy on me.

"Hello, Beloved," I say. She smiles at me.

"Hey, Babe. How was school?" She asks kindly. I roll my eyes.

"Horrible as always. Speaking of, I brought you a gift." I say, reaching into my backpack.

"Ooh, what is it?" She asks excitedly. I chuckle.

"Nothing that warrants your excitement. I brought homework." I say with a smirk as I pull out the stack of papers. She groans and dramatically throws her arm over her eyes. I'm happy to see that she has gained a little more movement in her arms.

"Uuugh! I thought I was free." She whines. I set the papers on her nightstand.

"We can be once you finish these," I say, sitting on her bed. She lifts her arm just to glare at me playfully.

"This is not a 'we' situation, my love." She says dismally. 

"Hold on, what was that?" I ask, trying to comprehend her statement.

"My love?" She asks, lowering her arm. I feel my face flush.

"Where did that come from?" I ask, trying to keep my composure. She grins evilly.

"Well, you call me Beloved. I wanted to give you a nickname that matches." She says casually. 

"I love it," I state matter-of-factly. She giggles.

"Good. Now, come over here so I can cuddle you while I do this." She says with a wide smile.

How could I say no to that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.3K 1.5K 37
It's the beginning of my senior year and all I want is to get through the last year of high school, unscathed and under the radar. Of course, that is...
268K 5.9K 41
Bruce and Damian have been getting into a lot of arguments lately, and Bruce has finally had enough! He is about to lose it... He doesn't know what t...
92.5K 2.2K 58
What's a Black Bird without her Robin? Black Birds run in the family. Dick had Grace. Jason had Estella. Tim had Rachel. Damian had Lorri. He was obn...
98.9K 4.7K 89
You make memories everywhere, but in the end, you choose which ones you remember. Exceptional memories come from those you care about the most. Those...