Burning Betrayal

By frnchtoast

❝ I know you recognized me because, behind the mask that you wore that night, I immediately knew who you were... More

Burning Betrayal
β€ŒβΈ™ΝŽΫ«Ϋͺ β€Œ| Prologue
01 | Run, Chase
02 | Meet Clyde Harper
03 | Meet Cedric Harper
04 | Nervous Heartbeats
05 | January 5α΅—Κ°
06 | Giggle, Clare
07 | Meet Jake Florence
08 | Let's Play, Clare
09 | Whitened Eyes
10 | Clare's Journal
11 | Numb Corpse
12 | Happy 13α΅—Κ°
13 | Corner Scribble
14 | Clare's Death Wish
15 | Unexpected News
16 | Her Name
17 | Privacy Invaded
18 | Dream of Me, Clare
19 | Wake Up, Clare
20 | Inform Her, Chase
21 | Welcome Back, Guest
22 | Remember Him, Chase
23 | Last Decision
24 | Lowlife Creature
25 | Cedric, I'm Inside
26 | Please, Spare Some Mercy
27 | The Young Boy
28 | The Truth Untold
29 | Riley, Why?
30 | Shoot me, Riley
32 | Chase, Just Let Go
33 | Ranging Thoughts
34 | Collar Bone
35 | Addicting, right?
36 | You're Not Real
37 | A Gust Of Pitch Black
38 | Heaven And Hell
39 | Goodbye, Beloved
40 | The Bubble Who Vanished
41 | Meet Evelyn Florence
42 | Let's Go Home

31 | You're Not Helping

29 2 0
By frnchtoast

THE ASH FROM A HALF BURNT CIGARETTE between Jake's lips almost touched the skin on his arm when the wind blew some of the ashes onto him.

With tired eyes staring upfront, the boy admired the golden pigment that was given off by the sun as it slowly sets. He watched passers-by walking down the lane with the same exhausted eyes as him. The lad then clenched the cigarette between his fingers, exhaling smoke that later was smudged onto his face when another gush of wind occured.

As his back leans onto the white pavement of the factory he works at, he sighs. The adrenaline of the cigarette climbs up his spine, yet the headache from overworking his body to its extent is making his day worst.

"Worried about your little girls again?" Clyde Harper spoke; his footsteps fading in louder as he nears the twenty-seven-year-old, "I could give your bonus early--"

"No thanks," Jake interrupted while his eyes wandered everywhere except Clyde's.

As his fingers neared the cigarette towards his lips, inhaling and exhaling the smoke afterwards, he continued, "I haven't even repayed you from last time yet."

Clyde gave off a slight laugh. He then rested his hand onto the younger's shoulder.

"You don't need to worry about that. I'm just here if you need anything."

"My parents are surely greatful for that," Jake smiles, although solemness was reflected from his thin lips, "but I'm not like them."

He threw the cigarette onto the ground. The sole of his shoes crushed the stick until it's as thin as cardboard.

His thoughts started to reminisce about how enthusiastic his dad was when he told him he's working at Clyde's manufacturing agency. Although he wanted to pursue studying to graduate with an engineering degree, he couldn't say no towards his sick father.

"Sorry about your loss," Clyde abruptly spoke when he removed his hand from the younger's shoulder, "All the responsibility must've piled onto your shoulders at an early age..."

"You're not helping," Jake whispers in his thoughts.

His eyes then narrowed when his head started throbbing, as though nausea's slowly gnawing his brain.

"Let's slide that aside... Cedric's at your place right now. Well, I assume, since he hasn't come back yet."

"I'm sorry. I really have to go--"

Clyde took hold of Jake's shoulders, giving it a slight push, enough for the younger to take a small step towards the direction where Clyde's walking.

"Let's grab coffee on the way. I'll drive you home after stopping by at a café."

"This son of a bitch."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

831 70 30
*The sequel to How to Get Away with Evil* SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENED THAT NIGHT. It's hard for Jessi Alvarez to mourn the death of her sworn enemy, Adle...
1.6K 541 39
❌ "...every soldier in the room froze...They turned, focusing their burning eyes on one single thing, me. In a matter of seconds they were all on the...
48.2K 2.6K 62
Book 2 of The Color Series [This book is the sequel to Chasing Blue. It cannot be read as a stand-alone. Since this part contains spoilers, it is adv...
10 11 8
Dear Blood, Oh, blood, my love, a paradox you are, A symbol of life, a tragic scar. You flow and ebb, a constant dance, A whispered promise, a second...