The First Daughter (A RWBY Fa...

By Technodude168

Thousands of years ago, there was a young princess named Elise with her three younger sisters and her parents... More

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6. The Inquisitor
6.5 Cinder
7.
8.
9. Breach
10. Joint Task Force
12. Traitor's Demise
13.
14.
15.
16. Motives Revealed
17. The Relic of Choice
18. Methuselah vs Elise
19. Battle of Vale
20: Fall of Beacon
Epilogue
Intermission 1/3: The Angel of Death
Intermission 2/3: The Colonials
Intermission 3/3: Life Day Truce

11. Winter

886 24 10
By Technodude168

In Beacon Academy's courtyard at dusk, Weiss and Ruby are running up the main avenue towards the docking bays.

Ruby: Weiss! What is the big deal!? Who is it? Who is she!?

Weiss soon stops and smiles at the sight of someone.

Weiss: Winter.

They see Winter Schnee, who looks like an older version of Weiss and more...top heavy... being escorted by crimson-colored Atlas Soldiers and Atlesian Knight-200's as she exits her airship.

(Author: Pfft, I love the early volumes' transcripts sometimes. XD)

Ruby: Wait... Your sister?

Weiss: Winter!

The two then run up to the elder Schnee as she turns to see them

Weiss: Winter! I'm so happy to see you! Oh... *Suddenly curtsies* Your presence honors us.

Winter looks around as she approaches them

Winter: Beacon... It's been a long time. The air feels... different.

Ruby: I mean it is fall, so, eh, it's probably colder.

Weiss punches Ruby in the shoulder, causing her to gasp in pain before turning back to her sibling.

Weiss: So, what are you doing here?

Winter: Classified.

Weiss: Oh, right. Well, how long are you staying?

Winter: Classified.

Weiss: Of course.

She nods and smiles in understanding while Ruby looks pensively around in the silence

Ruby: Well... this is nice... I think.

Weiss: *excitedly* You're going to love it here! I know you travel a lot, but so much of Beacon is different from Atlas! *discreetly whispers* Vale, too. The government and school are completely separate! Can you believe it!? I-

Winter: I'm more than familiar with how this kingdom handles its... bureaucracy. That is not why I came.

Weiss: Right! I'm sorry!

Winter: Nor did I come here to watch my own blood fail so miserably in battle. But it appears that I have no choice in the matter.

Weiss: But, we won!

Winter: Only a novice would refer to that as a victory. I counted at least three strikes missed.

She turns to her security

Winter: Leave us.

The AK-200s obey, walking two steps backwards into formation as she sighs and smiles a little more warmly at Weiss

Winter: How have you been?

Weiss: Oh, splendid! Thank you for asking. I'm actually in the very top ranking of our sparring class! And the rest of my studies are going wonderfully, too! I'm-

Winter's hand as she slaps Weiss, leaving a massive bump on her head

Winter: Silence, you boob! I don't recall asking about your ranking, I'm asking how you've been. Are you eating properly? Have you taken up any hobbies? Are you making new friends?

Weiss: Well, there's Ruby.

Ruby giggles as she pushes the lump back into Weiss' head

Ruby: Heh, boob.

Winter: I see. So this is the leader you wrote of. How appropriately... underwhelming.

Ruby: Uh... Thank you!

Winter: Greetings, Ruby Rose. I wish to thank you for taking an interest in my sister.

Ruby: Oh! Uh, yes, of course! *attempts to salute and curtsy* The honor is in my... court!

She then nearly losing her balance with this gesture, waving her arms until she can get back up

Winter: I have business with the General and your Headmaster. But, seeing as I'm early, why don't you take me to your quarters?

Weiss: Really?

She and Weiss begin walking towards the Academy, followed by the androids

Winter: Yes. I wish to inspect them and make sure that they are up to my personal standards.

Weiss: Of course. Just so you're aware, the bunk beds only look unstable.

Winter: Bunk beds?

Ruby waves goodbye behind them

Ruby: I'll catch up- I mean, I will... reconvene with you both... at a later...

She pauses with her hand on her head, wracking her brain for the right word

Ruby: juncture!

She raises her finger, before stepping out of sight to the left

Ruby: At a juncture. Yeah.

Elise: That wasn't the worst attempt at courtly etiquette I have ever seen.

Ruby jumps before she looks to her right and sees Elise and Claire walking in from the side.

Ruby: Oh, hey Queen Elise. What are you doing here?

Elise: I finished up my affairs early. And I can't miss this fight.

Ruby: Huh?

Elise and Claire walk in the direction Winter and Weiss went with Ruby following suit.

Weiss, Winter and the Atlesian Knights walking towards the courtyard. Behind them, someone dizzily sneaks up behind the AK-200s and promptly decapitates one, before kicking its head towards the group.

Qrow: Hey!

The group turns around to see a man. He has graying black, spiky hair, faded red eyes, and slight stubble along his jawline. Along with a red, tattered cloak, he wears a gray dress shirt with a long tail, black dress pants and black dress shoes. He also wears a crooked cross pendant on his necklace. He was obviously drunk.

Qrow: Yeah, I'm talking to you, Ice Queen!

He tosses the decapitated machine aside.

One Winter's automated soldiers advances, rifle raised

Winter: Halt!

The Atlesian Knight halts while Weiss angrily walks up to the offender's face.

Weiss: Excuse me! Do you have any idea who you are talking to!?

Qrow: Sssshhh. Not you.

Qrow places hand on Weiss' face. He pushes her out of his way as he moves forward.

Weiss: Hey!

Qrow looks at the irritated Winter.

Qrow: You.

A raven is perched on a lamp post before flying off and circling past the group

Qrow: Saw that gaudy ship of yours in town. I guess you're here, too.

Winter: I'm standing right before you.

Qrow squints through his hazy state of mind.

Qrow: So it would seem.

Winter: You realize you just destroyed Atlas Military property.

Qrow looks at his surroundings

Qrow: Oh, oh I'm sorry. See, I mistook this for some sort of... sentient garbage.

Winter walks over to face Qrow. Meanwhile, Elise, Claire, and Ruby walk up to the crowd that is gathering to observe the situation. Though Ruby can't see because she's too short and she's struggling to stay near Elise.

Winter: I don't have time for your immature games, Qrow.

Weiss: Wait, you two know each other?

Qrow: Geez, you Atlas Specialists think you're so special, don't you?

Winter: It's in the title.

Qrow: Well, you know what you really are? A bunch of sellouts. Just like your boss.

Winter: I'm not sure what you think you're implying, but I've heard enough.

Qrow: Oh I heard, too. I heard ol' Ironwood finally turned his back on Ozpin.

Weiss: Ozpin?

Winter shoves Weiss aside

Winter: Weiss, it's time for you to go.

Weiss: What-

Qrow: Listen to big sister, Weiss. She'll protect you. Just like Atlas and the UK is going to protect all of us, huh?

Winter: If you won't hold your tongue, then I will gladly remove it for you!

She draws her sword.

Qrow: Alright then...

He slicks back his hair like the badass he is.

Qrow: Come take it.

The square clears before Winter charges at Qrow, making several quick, but futile thrusts at Qrow's head as he swiftly bobs away from the blade, teasing her with several faces until he mockingly bows towards her. A downward strike is blocked by the base of Harbinger, right before he tosses it in the air and points it towards Winter. The two openly clash blades as Qrow lands a downwards strike, and aggressively swipes at Winter, forcing her to do a series of back handsprings away from the greatsword and eventually block it. The two spin and trade blows as Ruby enters the crowd next to her teammate after manages to squeeze in.

Ruby: What's going on?!

Weiss: Some crazy guy just started attacking my sister!

Ruby: Oh no! Who would do such a th-

She then sees Winter's opponent.

Ruby: That is my uncle!

Weiss: What?!

Ruby: Kick her butt, Uncle Qrow!

Weiss: Uh... Teach him respect, Winter!

Mercury is walking in the crowd when he witnesses the two fighting.

Mercury: Huh?

Mercury then runs off from the impromptu duel, as the two continue their battle. Meanwhile, Elise and Claire have gotten into the front row of the crowd near Ruby and Weiss along with a few Mimarans and Atlesian Troopers watching. Elise uses her magic to make popcorn, which she hands to her subjects. One Mimaran offers some to an Atlesian, who takes some while not taking their eyes off the fight.

Both Winter and Qrow parry each of their foe's strikes with rapid speed, as Winter dodges a two-handed swing before smacking Qrow's left cheek with the pommel of her saber. But Qrow grins as his left eye flashes brightly and Winter is forced to leap away with a glyph as Qrow slams his sword on the ground, shattering the pavement.

Winter then breaks away from the mid air crane stance as she lands near a lamppost, which is subsequently destroyed with a swipe from Qrow. Winter then leaps above him and dodging his swings, finally leaping on top of his sword, then giving him an excellent view of her foot as she kicks him in the face. Winter backflips onto the stump that used to be a lamppost, but then leaps off onto a railing high above, right as Qrow throws his sword at the stump. Qrow transforms his weapon, firing a cannon shot at Winter and forcing her to jump onto the side of a concrete, arched pillar. She uses her sword to stay on the vertical surface until Qrow runs forward and tries firing more blasts at her, which she dodges by scaling the pillar's face and eventually leaping onto the archway itself. Qrow follows suit on the opposite structure, firing off round after round at his opponent.

Qrow then searches for Winter as he sees a cloud of white steam consume her, narrowing his gaze. Suddenly, Winter flies towards him, separating her bifurcated saber into two, and Qrow blocks her attack. The arch collapses from the force, causing the two to crash back down to ground level, continuing their furious attacks towards each other. Qrow is forced backward and drags his sword in the ground to slow to a stop before holding it in a one-handed stance, to the cheer of the audience.

Winter then stabs the ground with one of her swords, summoning a glyph that creates a flock of small white Nevermores, which begin flying towards him. Qrow swings his sword at the flock, causing a few to burst into small clouds of steam. He then sends an Aura arc at Winter, causing her to jump back and putting an end to the birds. Winter angrily summons a second glyph behind her, and the blade of Qrow's sword begins to transform in a sequence initiated by its clockwork gears. But suddenly, his gaze travels elsewhere, and he suddenly sheaths his sword, instead beckoning his bewildered opponent to come at him with his right index finger. The glyph fades away, and there's a bright flash of light, followed by Winter speeding forward with light trailing behind her. Just as the tip of Winter's blade closes in on Qrow's throat, the voice of Ironwood's is loudly heard in the courtyard.

Ironwood: SCHNEE!

Winter looks behind her to see General Ironwood standing behind her, with Penny Polendina and General Veliona behind him. Winter lowers her blades as she addresses Ironwood at attention.

Winter: General Ironwood, sir!

Ironwood approaches Winter with Penny and Veliona by his side.

Ironwood: What in the world do you think you're doing?

Winter: He started the altercation, sir!

Qrow puts his hands behind his head in a relaxed stance.

Qrow: That's actually not true. She attacked first.

Ironwood: Is that right?

Winter searches for words, only to realize Qrow is right. She looks down in shame.

Ironwood: And you.

Qrow points to himself in mock confusion.

Ironwood: What are you doing here?

Qrow: I could be asking you and the Mimarans the same thing.

Ironwood: I-

Ozpin: Now, now, everyone.

Ozpin intervenes beside Glynda Goodwitch as they walk up to the courtyard.

Ozpin: There is a sanctioned fight happening just around the corner at the Colosseum, that I can assure you has better seats... and popcorn.

He swirls his mug before noticing the Atlesians, Mimarans, and students around Elise all have popcorn. This causes him to smile.

Ozpin: Pfft.

Goodwitch: Break it up, everyone! We will take care of this mess.

She glares at the three.

Ironwood: Let's go.

As Ironwood, Veliona, and Winter leave, Penny notices Ruby and quietly waves to her, while Ruby waves back. Ruby then leaps giddily onto Qrow's arm, shaking her legs in delight.

Ruby: Uncle Qrow!!!

She he hangs on Qrow's outstretched arm.

Ruby: Hi. It's so good to see you! Did you miss me? Did you miss me!?

Qrow: Nope.

They share a grin as he pats his niece's head.

Ozpin: Qrow!

The Huntsman turns to look at the Headmaster as Ruby gets dropped.

Ozpin: A word, please.

Goodwitch then repairs the courtyard using her telekinesis.

Qrow: I think I'm in trouble.

Ruby: You did kinda tear up our courtyard.

Qrow: Yeah, I did.

He winks and gives her a fist bump.

Qrow: Catch ya later, kid.

He walks off to join the others.

Weiss walks up beside Ruby, arms crossed.

Weiss: And suddenly, your recklessness makes sense.

Ruby nudges Weiss' shoulder.

Ruby: You're just mad because he whooped butt.

Weiss: That was a draw, at best!

Ruby's grin says otherwise. She then looks back to see if Elise was still around. Instead, she was gone. Ruby looked forward and saw Elise and Claire walking away.

Elise: That was an entertaining fight. Wasn't it?

Squawk!

Claire: It was refreshing to see a more professional fight. Even if it was unsanctioned and one of them was drunk.

Elise: Qrow being drunk made him more unpredictable and hence, made the fight more interesting.

Claire nods as Raven flies away.

~Several minutes later, after sunset~

In Ozpin's office at night. Ironwood is waiting with his arms crossed while Winter is impatiently pacing about. Veliona however, is simply drinking coffee while sitting on one of the chairs. Suddenly, a smirking Qrow, accompanied by Goodwitch and Ozpin, arrive in the elevator.

Winter: What were you thinking!?

Ironwood: If you were one of my men, I would have you shot!

Qrow pulls out his flask as the three enter the room.

Qrow: If I was one of your men, I'd shoot myself.

Glynda looks at Winter.

Goodwitch: While I wouldn't condone his behavior, retaliating like you did certainly didn't help the situation.

Winter: He was drunk!

Goodwitch: He's always drunk!

The five turn to Qrow to see him drinking from a flask. His eyes widen when he notices them staring, and he holds the flask out to the side, looking at it awkwardly before grimacing.

Ozpin stares at Qrow in shock, then sighs and sits down.

Ozpin: Qrow, why are you here?

Ironwood: You've been out of contact for weeks! You can't just go dark like that in the field!

Qrow: I'm not one of your special operatives, Jimmy!

Winter: General.

Qrow: Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here.

Ironwood leans against Ozpin's desk.

Ironwood: We know.

Qrow: Oh! Oh, you know! Well, thank goodness I'm out there risking my life to keep you all informed!

Ironwood: Qrow-

Qrow: Communication's a two-way street, pal. You see this?

He pulls out his Scroll and points to it

Qrow: That's the SEND button.

Winter: They had reason to assume you'd been compromised.

Qrow: And I have reason to assume you don't need to be here.

He points to Winter

Qrow: Seriously, who invited her?

Ironwood: ..... Schnee, we'll discuss this incident back at my ship.

Winter: But sir!

Ironwood: Winter. Leave.

Winter reluctantly salutes Ironwood.

Winter: Yes sir.

She turns on her heel and gives the winking Qrow a dirty look as she exits via the elevator. Ironwood then gestures to Qrow.

Ironwood: Go on.

Qrow: Your little infiltrator isn't just another pawn. They're the one responsible for Autumn's condition.

He takes a drink from his flask once more.

Goodwitch: What?

Ironwood: Well that confirms Elise's suspicions.

Qrow: Despite what the world thinks, we're not just teachers, or Generals, or Headmasters. The people in this room, The leaders of the other two academies, we're the ones that keep the world safe from the evils no one even knows about!

He then gets up in Ironwood's face.

Qrow: It's why we meet behind closed doors, why we work in the shadows. So you tell me, James, when you brought your army and the Mimaran military to Vale, did you think you were being discreet, or did you just not give a damn!?

Ironwood stares down at Qrow as he places his Scroll on Ozpin's desk.

Ironwood: Discreet wasn't working. And Queen Elise agreed with me.

Qrow whips his arms in the air as he turns around.

Qrow: Of course she did.

The center of the room projects a hologram of Vale, Beacon Academy, the Amity Colosseum and the fleet of Atlesian and Mimaran Airships, which Ironwood gestures to.

Ironwood: I'm here because this is what was necessary.

Qrow: You're here because Ozpin wanted you here! He made you a part of this inner circle and opened your eyes to the real fight that's in front of us!

Ironwood: And I am grateful.

Qrow: Oh, well, you've got a real funny way of showing it.

Ironwood: The people of Vale needed someone to protect them; someone who would act. When they look to the sky and see our fleet, they feel safe, and our enemies will feel our strength.

Qrow starts laughing

Qrow: You... You think they're scared of your little ships? I've been out there and I've seen the things she's made, and let me tell you - they are fear.

Veliona: And?

Qrow: "And?!" You Mimarans really are something if the stuff she makes doesn't scare you.

Veliona: We're pretty desensitized from the horrors of the Grimm, unlike those outside of Mimar. We see them constantly at the Evernight Perimeter, our frontiers, even at the walls of Monarchia. Cyclops, Sirens, Chimera, Wendigos, Hags, you name it, we've seen it. So to you all, they are fear. To us, they're just targets waiting to get a missile strike to the face.

She sips her coffee, causing Qrow to scoff. Ironwood smirks at her comment while Ozpin stands up.

Ozpin: As you said, what Salem has made will certainly cause fear for us. And fear will bring the Grimm to the other kingdoms and especially place the United Kingdom in a dangerous situation due to its proximity to the Grimm pools at Evernight. A guardian is a symbol of comfort. But an army is a symbol of conflict. There's an energy in the air now, a question in the back of everyone's minds... *gestures to the display* "If this is the size of our defenses, then what is it we're expecting to fight?"

Ironwood glares at them before sighing and walking forward, picking up his Scroll just as it flashes with the image of a Black Queen.

Ironwood: So then, what would you suggest we do?

Ozpin: I suggest we find our guardian.

Ironwood looks at Veliona, who is still just watching as she sips coffee.

Ironwood: General, anything to add?

Veliona: I have nothing to add to your plate really. But do you all really think we're going to get through this by playing either of your strategies?

Goodwitch: What are you talking about?

Veliona: Ozpin, your strategy involves extreme discretion in order to avoid public panic. But it has the flaw of limiting your maneuverability. So when something goes wrong, you will be ill-prepared and scramble to react. You are basically a "reactive" strategist. Though calling you a strategist is generous given your history.

Qrow: Ouch.

Ozpin:....

Veliona: General, your strategy involves facing the enemy head-on. You don't let the enemy come to you if you are able to. However, the flaws with your strategy is that you often strike out without proper information, which could lead to more casualties than needed. I learned while coming to Vale that you wanted to send your army into Mountain Glenn when you learned the White Fang and Torchwick were hiding there. This is where I commend Ozpin's restraint as recon was the wiser course of action for you at the time.

Ironwood crosses his arms. He feels she was a little harsher with pointing out his flaws then she was to Ozpin.

Ironwood: Yet you sent in troops after them.

Veliona: Not a whole army, like you planned. We knew where to go and where to strike. Perhaps if we were transparent about that with you, team RWBY would have been further away and the Breach would not have happened because they didn't get in the way.

Ironwood: Well, at least you acknowledge your own mistake on the matter.

Veliona: And another thing General, I do commend your willingness to fight and being prepared, but Ozpin does have good points about how people may feel about seeing our forces. I'd say the one critical and quite fatal flaw for you is your semblance.

Ironwood: .... Continue.

Veliona: Your semblance often times doesn't allow you to see the bigger picture when active. It also limits your strategic thinking when you wholeheartedly commit to a plan, decision, or doctrine. As one person who analyzed your file back home told me, you basically have a semblance affecting your mental state by giving you tunnel vision, which can make you unlikeable in the public eye if anything because you would refuse to hear anyone out once you are already committed. And this is going to kill you one day.

Ironwood definitely feels like he drew the short straw when it came to criticism from his Mimaran counterpart.

Veliona: Honestly, no strategy is perfect. Tell the people, don't tell them, fight, don't fight, all of them have consequences on their own. And you need to consider which one has the most manageable consequences. Creating a guardian is all well and good. But she will be useless if Salem comes knocking before she's ready.

Veliona stands up and walks out of the office through the elevator. Qrow then takes a swig with his flask.

Qrow: I like her.

Goodwitch: I don't think she has any right to be judging you two's ways of thinking. I'm surprised you didn't argue back.

Ozpin: I think a little honest criticism never hurts. And have you ever tried arguing with a Mimaran, Glynda?

Goodwitch: No?

Ironwood: We don't recommend it. They'll chew you up and spit you out if you aren't prepared to retaliate. But even when you think you are, they are always a step ahead of you.

Qrow: Heh, sounds about right. Those guys always seem to know something we don't. If you ask me, if they wanted to conquer Remnant again, they could tear us apart within weeks just because of their intelligence gathering alone.

Ozpin sighs and leans forward on his desk.

Ozpin: That's what scares me about them.

~Meanwhile, in Mistral~

At Haven Academy, an old and bearded lion Faunus steps into his dark office after a long day of teaching. He is tired as he closes the door, so much work for the headmaster Leonardo Lionheart. And he doesn't get a break.

Leo approaches the couch in his office before noticing from the moonlight coming from his window that one of the windows was wide open.

Lionheart: Huh? Did I leave that open?

He steps towards the window and closes it. Suddenly, he hears a footstep in front of his desk. Lionheart immediately activates his weapon known as Stalwart, a wrist shield on his left arm with Dust containers on it used to fire projectiles at an enemy. He quickly turns around in fear as he aims his weapon at the intruder.

There stands a cloaked individual wearing a knight's helmet and chainmail armor. He was wearing a broach bearing an insignia of a star with a flaming Phoenix on top of it.

Lionheart: A-an Inquisitor?!

The Inquisitor steps forward to the fearful Faunus headmaster. He suddenly throws a knife at Lionheart's shoulder that paralyzed his left arm as it cut straight through his Aura. Did the Inquisitor have a semblance that weakens Auras? Leo screams in pain as the Inquisitor quickly hops over his desk and kicks him into his chair. He whimpers as the Inquisitor pulls out a small device that generates a small holographic image of Elise, who was sitting in a chair in her hotel room.

Elise: Hello Leonardo. We have some business to discuss.

The Haven headmaster's eyes widen in fear as the Inquisitor prepares another knife as Elise glares at him through the communication device with apathetic eyes.

Elise: Am I right, little traitor?

~End Part~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145 10 5
[This is NOT an Abused and Neglected Male reader story, this is a story about the main character getting stuck in this stereotype as Ruby.] We all kn...
48.6K 2.1K 17
She did it. She won. The kingdoms were too late in uniting against her, and Salem achieved her victory. Now you, an immortal friend to both Ozma and...
260K 3.6K 35
Good or evil. Life or death. Light or dark. Living or dying. None of those mattered to (y/n). For as long as he could remember he never really felt a...
32.5K 527 12
A request from ARCtrooper70. The General plot is the following which may or may not be tweak: Male Ruby Rose but in the Grimmverse AU. Starts with...