Eight Letters | ongoing

By _mia202_

She's quick and smart. He's arrogant yet charming. Both have despised each other ever since college. After p... More

N O T E
P L A Y L I S T
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
T W E N T Y - N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T W O
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
T H I R T Y - F O U R
T H I R T Y - F I V E
T H I R T Y - S I X
T H I R T Y - S E V E N
T H I R T Y - E I G H T

F O U R

15.5K 393 368
By _mia202_

My life's always been crazy, let's start with that. And ever since I started my own company and became the CEO of Dalton Enterprises, it got even crazier.

Everyone knows me as the hottest and youngest successful billionaire in Chicago. I mean, can we really deny the hot part? Anyways, they also know not to ever mess with me. I'm not a person who likes to be messed with.

It took years to get to where I am today. Once I graduated from college, I started looking for ways to grow and build a company. People never took me seriously, saying I'll never make it and constantly doubting me.

Of course, I proved them wrong.

I'm twenty-five, living the life I've spent dreaming of. My family was always supportive, especially my mom. I'll always continue to thank her for all she's done all these years.

Luka's been with me the whole ride too. Both of us have been best friends since high school. We went to different colleges yet our friendship never fell apart. He's practically a brother to me.

So he has a shit ton of tattoos and sleeps around sometimes, the man's still a pretty smart guy. Funny too.

Me? People say I'm a man with a private life filled with secrets no one knows. Heartless, according to the news. However, that's technically true. I'm not much of a guy who likes to have girlfriends. The lovey-dovey stuff really isn't my forte. 

Probably never will be.

Moving on, it was just another one of those days. I've been pissed ever since some girl spilled coffee all over me in the morning. Luka was on his knees laughing as soon as I walked into my office.

"Seems like someone is having a wonderful morning." He joked, receiving a glare from me.

After hours of being in countless meetings, yelling at a couple of people, and listening to Luka talk about his sad love life, his words not mine, I'm now in a restaurant trying to pay attention to annoying businessmen who were pitching their idea on why I should work with them.

So far they've only been blabbing.

"Are they still talking?" Luka, sitting next to me murmurs. "I'm this close to falling asleep."

"Unfortunately," I mutter back, taking a drink of my whiskey. "Why'd we think it was a good idea to meet with them?"

"Your idea Dalton. I had no part in this man."

I rolled my eyes. "You suggested it Adams so don't start."

Luka puts his hands up. "Whatever you say but can we go to the bar after this? I'm going to need a lot more alcohol tonight."

"Count me in."

I listened to the men talk just nodding along to whatever they were saying. What they were offering wasn't what I was looking for yet they insisted on me hearing them out.

"I think you should consider it Mr. Dalton." One of them suggested.

"I'll think about it."

They talked to Luka who was trying hard to pay attention as I wrote some things down. My sleeves were now rolled up, revealing some of the tattoos on my arms. Thanks to Luka I had quite a few.

Now my arms are mostly covered in ink. Though they're actually not bad.

All the men were discussing things amongst themselves and all I wanted to do is get out of here. I turned to Luka who was staring at me immensely.

"Luka, you're creeping me out," I said and he snaps out of his thoughts.

He cleared his throat. "Sorry thinking. Oh and don't look now but there's a beautiful girl staring at you." Luka nudges his head towards her.

"Why tell me if I'm going to look- wow." She was indeed beautiful. Curled hair, eyes that you can immediately get lost in, and a sexy smile playing at her lips. Her black dress stopped short just above her knees, showing her long legs.

Damn.

How come I didn't notice her before?

She was hard not to stare at. I smirk receiving a smile back. Her cheeks turned red the minute I looked at her. I have to admit, I usually don't admire girls for this long but this one caught my eye.

The things I would do-

"Earth to Elliot!" Luka snaps his fingers in my face. "You've been staring at her for five minutes now. Please don't tell me you're fantasizing about her man."

"Luka, you're an absolute idiot. Of course, I wasn't." Don't tell him.

"I think you should go up to her. Say some pick-up lines and you're absolutely golden."

"I'm not going say any pick-up lines. She's going to think I'm crazy."

Luka laughed loudly. "Then she might be right about that one."

I give him a stare and look back at the girl. She was talking to her friend who looked familiar. I know I've seen her before.

"Luka," I give him a nudge. "Doesn't the girl next to her seem familiar?"

He shrugged. "Mmm, nope but she's is drop-dead gorgeous I'll say that!"

What a way with words.

If I'm not going crazy, I know for a fact that girl looks like Ember Knight. It might actually be her but I don't know. We were actually good friends in college.

Brown hair and blue eyes. So that might mean the girl next to her has to be-

Fucking Serena Brown.

Again, chances are I could be completely wrong but I'm definitely sure it's her now. She looks completely different from the last time I saw her which was almost four years ago. On graduation day where I was happy that I wouldn't have to see Serena again.

Fuck. Has it really been that long?

The businessmen said their goodbyes leaving me and Luka alone at the table. I told them I would call them back if I considered their offer however that wasn't going to happen sooner or later.

I continued to stare at Serena who now paid no attention to me anymore. Me and her, well there's a lot to say about that. Long story short, both of us have hated each other since the beginning of college. No, we never dated.

Kind of wondering if she was still with that douchebag.

"Adams."

"Dalton."

I put my pen down. "Do you remember Serena Brown?"

Luka raised an eyebrow. "The girl you complained about and the one I know you liked all throughout college? Well yeah, can't forget about her."

Okay no, I didn't like her-

"That's her." I tilt my head towards her table.

Luka takes a closer look at Serena. "No fucking way. Actually?"

"I think so? It seems like it's her."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Nothing."

He shook his head. "Nope, not happening. You're talking to her Elliot."

I let out a small laugh. "No way in hell."

I'll admit, I kind of want to.

"Know you want to." It's like the man read my mind. "Come on, it'll be two enemies meeting again like in those movies!"

I glance again at Serena to see her walking towards the bar. Was it a good idea to follow her or not? I'm thinking of talking to Ember first to make sure it's actually her.

Luka motions me to go over there but I began to hesitate. Serena probably doesn't want to see me ever. Oh well.

I got up and made Luka come with me. Why not introduce Ember to him? She looked up at me and smiled.

Letting out a small cough, Luka nudges me to say something. "Ember?"

"Sorry do I know you?" She joked. "I'm kidding hey Elliot."

I sighed in relief. "Hey Em, how are you?" She gets up and draws me into a bone-crushing hug. Seriously, she was always a hugger back in college too.

"I've been great! Still mad you never checked up on your lovely best friend since we graduated."

Luka scoffed beside me. "Excuse me, I'm Elliot's lovely best friend."

Ember turned to him with a questionable look on her face. "And you might be?"

He held out his hand in front of her. "Luka Adams." I think he got the hint to put it down when she doesn't shake it.

Awkward.

They were staring at each other with mean expressions on their faces when I decided to break the silence finally. "I'm sorry I didn't keep contact. Life got really busy."

Ember sat down, motioning for us to sit too. "Hey, I get it but it's really good to see you again. And since when the hell do you have tattoos?"

I laughed. "It's a long story. Also, was that Brown who was with you?"

She nodded. "She wasn't quite thrilled when she realized it was you."

"I bet," Luka said, still gawking at Ember. Man hasn't taken his eyes off her since we got to the table.

Ember smiled at him and took a sip of whatever she was drinking. "I don't think she would want to talk to you but I guess you could try?"

Do I want to? "Yeah alright. Luka you wouldn't mind talking to Ember for a while?"

"No wait yes-" He began to protest but I was already walking away. I know I'm going to get yelled at in the car later.

That didn't matter at the moment. From afar I see Serena on her second drink while talking to the bartender. I take a seat farthest away from her knowing she won't see me. The woman was drowning the alcohol that was in the glass like her whole life depended on it.

Who knows how drunk she's going to get later.

I nod at the bartender who comes over immediately. Serena didn't notice he was gone as she was too busy with her drink.

"What can I get for you, sir?" The bartender asked me.

"Whiskey on the rocks," I answer as he goes to make it. "And make the lovely girl over there another Manhattan. On me."

I played with the rings on my finger whilst I watched Serena looked around, not noticing me. A couple of dudes came up to her trying to start a conversation but she ignored them and pretended they weren't there. Classic Brown.

Why haven't I got up and talked to her already you say? For the first time in ever, I was somewhat nervous. Talking to a girl comes pretty easily to me honestly. But it's been years since we've talked, no more like argued.

There were too many questions coursing through my brain.

The bartender brings me back my drink which I took slow sips of. He handed Serena another Manhattan who had a confused look on her face. The man said something and nudged his head in my direction where the two of us made eye contact again. I tip my glass towards her with a smirk on my face.

And she only rolls her eyes.

Fuck it.

When she isn't paying attention to me, I walk over to her and feel her freeze as soon as I'm behind her. My lips were slightly grazing her ear while I felt Serena's breathing slow down.

"Long time no see Brown."

•••
Hey loves! Hope you're enjoying the book so far <3

Thank you for 1K reads already! All of you are amazing :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.5K 1.3K 71
Logan had everything he could ever want: a vast fortune, luxury cars, and a private jet to whisk him away to any destination he desired. But his hear...
144K 8.6K 42
✧THE UNEXPECTED SERIES BOOK ONE✧ Arrogant and cold CEO of the 'RIVERRUN GROUPS' Royal Riansh Raichand who declined the throne has only one person wor...
2.7M 102K 45
Looking straight in my eyes he said "I didn't like the way he was staring at you." I bit my lips "And how was he staring at me?" Leaning towards me h...
166K 5.5K 29
After escaping an abusive past, Rose wants nothing more than to stay away from trouble. But when trouble comes crashing into her life in the form of...