Acrimony: Until Death

By Twisted_Truths

Growing up with an image of how love truly is, Melinda never expected to be taken for a whirlwind of the exac... More

Summary & Cast
Man Down
Dancing On My Own
In Love With Another Man
If Loving You is Wrong
Holding You Down
The Girl Is Mine
My Little Secret
Magnets
It Wasn't Me
I Know You Got A Man
He Don't Know Nothing About It
Way Gone
Planezzzz🛫
Broken Rollie
They Don't Know
Say So
I Don't Need Your Love
To The Moon
Somebody Else
Decide
You Comfort Me
When I'm In Your Arms
Live Out Your Love
How Much Can A Heart Take
Never Knew
Sanctuary
He Loves Me
Take Care Of You
Never Thought
Relax
Fortunate
I Do
Rope Burn
Keep Your Head Up
Ghost (of Jealousy)
Threatened
Mama's Hand

One Hundred Miles

588 42 23
By Twisted_Truths

October 2019

As our trip neared my body was so out of it. My damn body just ached. Not just from getting my ass beat. I don't know if it was remorse...or just chill satisfaction but the day I got home from work with my new outfit and all. He just went nuts when I walked in the door. It was a blur....its hard to remember. "Often times our brains lock things up." Yeah, well I just know that I remember him standing over me. He stopped kicking me...I felt the blood you know. Its fucked up that my phantom period just showed up. Ruining a perfect new skirt. I dont know if it freaked him out or not. I just know he stopped. Stared long and hard, then picked me up. Carried me upstairs into the bathroom and started stripping me. "Melinda...you're rocking. Take a few breaths." ......I....I thought he was gonna exercise the control he had been ranting about. I thought he'd really just rape me...bloody and all. He didn't....he put me in the tub.....turned the water on....put some music on.....and called himself caressing my head.

"Then what happened?" He washed me.....it was so fucked up. Touches lingering here and there...I didnt feel like I was getting clean. I just cried....I was so fucking scared. So scared......my brain was so...I don't know. I just know I was confused. He literally had just beat me....and then now bathing me. I was in shock.....that frozen type. Just boneless worth nothing. He got me out of that pink water.....found me some panties....even put a pad on them for me. That fucking bastard put one of his shirts on me.

A claim....but I felt so small and somehow processed that as love? "He commissioned you to convert abuse as love. Not uncommon in severe abusive relationships. That is something scientists are actively studying. Lots of women after freedom began to be unable to cope with a normal life. Often times seems crazy we psychologists recommend alternative ways to fill that void." Well whatever the fuck it was aint right. He put me to bed, and then kissed me. Not giving a fuck that it wasnt reciprocated. 'I love you Melinda...Gayle.' A crock of bullshit. I just know I had pain a week after that beating I just couldn't shake.

Melinda scowled attempting to make her coffee for the 4th time. Something just wasn't right. Nothing was right. She just felt so irritable. Putting in her cream and sugar she didn't hear the click of Ferragamo dress shoes approaching. Or the smell of him. If she had she wouldn't have reacted so harshly. Grabbing her cup she turned to exit not expecting Derrick to be right there. Melinda jumped out of her Christian Louboutin's literally. Tossing her coffee in the process. Derrick cursed as the hot liquid hit him.

"Son of bitch that's fucking hot." He blurted, pinching his shirt away from his skin. Had she not have been utterly terrified the first curse words she heard out his mouth would have been hot.

"Oh my god! I'm so so so sorry! I didnt hear you....or see you! God I'm an idiot! Are you okay?" She rushed, into one slurred sentence. Once the heat died he waved her off to calm down.

"I'll clean it up! I'm so sorry!" She blurted, he held a finger up walking away. She felt her tears drop. She was so fired. Give your boss burns? Probably not employee of the month material. Cleaning up she decided against coffee today. Heading in search of him she knocked on his office door. Opening it she caught him finishing the last buttons of a new shirt.

"Are you okay?" She softly tossed.

"I'm fine Mellie. Calm down, it was an accident. Stop looking at me like I'm gonna take your head off." He spoke, eyes laced with concern. She blinked looking down at her trembling hands. Taking a deep breath. This was Derrick....not Robert.

"Sorry."

"Hey....come sit down. Are you okay? You've been out of it the last couple days." He pointed out, she nodded even though she just wanted to cry. Look at her fucking up. That's all she did. She hadn't known she was zoned out until he was in her face. She flinched making his eyes suddenly blaze.

"Melinda...." His tone gave me chills. Not in a good way. I started trembling again. He was about to ask. "Ask what?" If I was getting beaten. I could tell his eyes looked so dark. Like he was furious with the thought. "Was he?" Mad? He was livid...I played chicken shit. Played it well because that topic wouldn't come up again for a while.

"Its been a rough couple days. Time of the month." She blurted, taking the embarrassment rather than spill. It caught him off gaurd. Not in a disgusted way but in a thats random.

"...okay?"

"Its TMI but I don't have a normal...like monthly....so when I get it....its...well yeah." She fumbled, starting to consider just being honest as the embarrassment. He paused his features calming as he registered her words.

"Is it something serious?" He questioned, her cheeks flamed. Talking periods with your boss? Again not on the right track.

"I dont know honestly."

"Well do you know why at least?" He pressed, truly concerned now.

"Yeah..." She mumbled, a sudden emptiness in her gaze. How could she forget?

"Mellie.....did something bad happen?" He asked, his tone do soft and smooth. It made her feel like he was coaxing tears out.

"Can I get back to work?" She deflected, he frowned staring at her before slowly nodding.

"Sorry again." She spoke, before exiting his office. I'm sure he knew I was bullshitting but I wasnt lying at least. I was in pain but that didn't explain the flinching. He just didn't force it out of me. He let it sit and kept more of an already close eye on me.

Halfway through the rest of the day she got an email with his name. They hadn't talked much and she ate lunch with Jo to avoid a reprise of earlier convo. So she was hoping this email wasnt that. Opening it up a pdf of a business card met her screen. She frowned reading the message attached.

I noticed you didnt list a primary care physician in your records. I strongly recommend you get a checkup before we fly out Friday. I need you in tip top shape. I hope I'm not being intrusive but this is a local doctor. I only recommend the best for my employees. That being said the practice is black owned. If you don't have a good doctor, please consider Women's New Dawn.

"Dawn Collins?" Melinda mumbled, glad he left out mentioning her period issues.

A checkup couldn't hurt. It had been over a decade since her last real doctors visit. It's not like she liked them anyways but she needed it. As long as it wasnt no white person trying to fucking kill her she was good. While she had some free time she gave the office a call setting up an appointment. Better to get it out the way before she talked herself out of it. Evening rolled in before she was ready for it.

"Mellie, I need you to clock out on time tonight. You need the rest." Derrick's voice spoke, coming through the intercom on her desk phone.

"I just need to...."

"Clock out." He restated, she huffed sucking her teeth. Forgetting intercoms was active.

"Goodnight. Melinda." Two words so punctual and absolute.

"Yes sir, sorry sir." She rushed, waiting for the red dot to go away. Once it did she let out a long sigh. Texting Jo she figured she could get high with these extra two hours before she trekked home. Packing up she clocked out, meeting Jo at her house half an hour later. The two sitting out in her backyard.

"Girl this job is everything. I cant wait till my insurance hit." Jo gushed, puffing on a blunt.

"Speaking of that I'm about to put mine to use."

"YOU'RE GOING TO THE DOCTOR?!" Jo exclaimed, getting a nod in return she whistled acting like Melinda had just won some championship.

"You are so annoying." Melinda laughed, letting her high cocoon her in a blissful blanket.

"Soooooooo.....going on a trip with your boss. Aloneeeeee!" Jo sung, bringing a blush to Mel's cheeks.

"Stoppppp!"

"What? I'm just saying. If you get you a peice of that fine ass man I won't judge. I bet he melts in your mouth." Jo gushed.

"Who does what?" Dom questioned, popping up out of nowhere. Setting the freshly uncorked wine on the table for them.

"Nothing baby." Jo chuckled, he pursed his lips side eyeing her.

"Mhmm." He muttered, pecking her lips before going back inside.

"He's my boss. What kind of woman acts that desperate?"

"One who dont even know what a dick looks like anymore. One bite! One cup of nutttttttt!" Jo pressed, making Mel giggle.

"Would it be so bad........aw hell it's time to go. You're corrupting me!" Mel spat, checking the time.

Giving Jo a hug she got in her car making a smooth drive home. Walking to the door she unlocked it stepping inside. Getting hit with a scene she wished she could forget. Porn playing on the flatscreen in the living room. Robert beating his dick booty ass naked in the living room. She could have thrown up right then. That body used to do wicked things for her. At this point his body was just the shell of evil inside. Grimacing she shut the door walking past without a word.

Heading up to her room she showered. Coming out the bathroom to find Robert sitting on her bed. At least he had some shorts on now. He was playing with her car keys like a child. She sighed gaining his attention.

"You said we needed to talk." He flatly stated, she frowned before remembering she said that this morning. She nervously bit her lip. Shifting on her feet. Grabbing some clothes she went back into the bathroom to change.

"Why you do that? We're married, act like I ain't ever seen you naked. Trust I dont feel the need to dive into that bush." He spat, she pursed her lips. Shave her pussy for what? That was a gift she was not giving out.

"I wont be home this weekend. A business trip to California Friday. I'll be back sunday evening." She stated.

"The fuck you will! You aint going."

"Its apart of my job! I told you this when I accepted the position. You told me to!" She argued, taking a step back as he stood.

"No."

"I'm going. I'm not losing my job to soothe your ego." She hissed, two steps ahead of him. As he lunged for her she slammed the bathroom door shut locking it.

"Melinda, what are you trying to prove? You independent? Putting up a front for that nigga huh? Naw it's cool go. Wait till he find out how dull and boring you are. How you dont do shit. You untalented, got nothing for you. Go make a fool your yourself. Its not like you do shit around here. You're USELESS! UNATTRACTIVE, AND FUCKING BARREN!" He roared, knowing that last part would always get her no matter what.

Stomping away from the door he went downstairs. Finding the tracking chip he took out of her jeep. He had unlocked her car while she was showering. Heading outside he opened her car door hiding it inside. Since she didnt want to open up and tell him shit he'd just find out himself. Starting with where exactly she worked. Feeling his phone vibrating in his pocket he read Diana's name. A smirk falling on his face.

Inside Melinda waited for it to go quiet. Peeking out the bathroom she rushed to shut and lock her bedroom door. As always his words had carved into her. He was wrong though. She had at least one thing going. Opening her end table she picked up her new journal. I dont know if Derrick understood how much that simple book meant to me. Out of everything he'd ever given me that right there was the ultimate gift.

Opening it she ran her hand over the first clean page. Words in her heart that needed out. Finding a pencil she sat down on her bed once more. The words flowed without a hitch in step.

Snake Charmer

Hiss.

A Sweet Caress

Hiss.

A Wicked Tounge

Hiss.

A Deception Pool

They slither more than walk.

Posses a talk that strokes.

Lies became a friend.

Loneliness became a sister.

Pain....became a mother.

Hiss.

A Kiss Of Death

Hiss.

A Life Hung

Hiss.

A Sadistic Tool

Thursday Morning.....

Heaving a sigh Melinda exited her car. Heading to the entrance of the building. Glad she took a morning appointment. It wasn't too crowded in here. Her wait in line less than five minutes. She was 15 minutes early but they didnt seem to mind. The front desk were chipper and sweet. Offering her a donut and some coffee. Who turned down that?

Sitting in the lobby for a couple minutes before her name was called. Following the nurse though thick double doors. They took her height and weight before getting her set up in a room. Doing some vitals and asking questions about known diseases in her family. Just getting her dossier filled as a new patient.

Melinda looked around the spacious exam room. She liked the feel of this place. It was beautiful and calming it didnt feel like a doctors office. Looking out the window she watched the built-in cliff waterfall. A nice touch with all the greenery around. Gazing at the medical posters she paused. A Women's New Dawn banner on the wall but what caught her eye was a logo in the corner. She pursed her lips, she worked for the damn company. She should have known something this beautiful was product of Derricks mind.

"Knock knock." A feminine voice sounded out before the door opened. In walking a light skin woman with flawless skin, a flurry of thick curls on her head.

"Good Morning, Mrs. Gayle. I'm Dr. Dawn Collins. I'll be your new physician. Welcome to Women's New Dawn. Is there anything I can get you before we begin?" Dawn smiled, outstretching a hand. Melinda shook it noticing a few familiar features in this woman. Her suspicions were correct. When she read the last name she thought it had been a coincidence but clearly not. He had mentioned a sister 5 years older but never a name.

"Just Melinda is fine. But no I dont need anything." She responded, Dawn nodded taking a seat on the rolling stool chair. Logging into the computer she looked over Melinda's chart.

"Alright Melinda. I see you're here for a checkup and some Uterus pain? I'll start with that. Tell me about what you're feeling. I see here that you had a..."

"Hysterectomy." Melinda sourly spat. Dawn looked up offering her a soft smile.

"A partial hysterectomy. Says here you still have an ovary, though extensive scar tissue. Can you tell me how that came about?"

"Got into a car crash, didnt have a seat belt on." Melinda shortly answered.

"Okay, Melinda would you lay back for me and lift your shirt." Dawn asked, Melinda nodded lying back. Slopping on some gloves Dawn walked over decamping the incision scar. Happy they didnt cut this girl from pelvic bone to belly button. She had been entirely too young for that. Pressing her hands on Melinds abdomen she hummed.

"How are your periods?"

"Non existent sometimes. I'll get one every 4 months, some times longer. Or I'll bleed two months, or 3 days, sometimes just one day. Its hard to keep track." Melinda answered.

"I can see how. Does this hurt at all?" Dawn asked, pressing a bit harder. Melinda shook her head.

"What are you checking for?"

"Endometriosis. Often it gives the abdomen a hard fullness. How is menstrual pain? Is it excruciating?" Dawn responded.

"I mean it's just cramps. Manageable but sometimes like lately it's really bad."

"Okay, are you sexually active?" Dawn questioned, stepping back and taking off her gloves.

"Celibate." Melinda answered, sitting up once more. She could tell Dawn was skeptical with her being married.

"How long?"

"I don't know. Three-ish years I guess." Mel shrugged.

"Do you remember having any pain after sex?" Dawn questioned, typing a few things into the computer.

"No that I can think of."

"Well that rules out a lot." Dawn muttered.

"Huh?"

"Things like STD's. You're not active so it rules out lots of things. Narrowing down causes. Being a doctor can be a bit of this or that." Dawn chuckled, Mel simply stared at her not sharing the amusement.

"Okayyyy. So a few things I want to do. A pelvic exam, and an ultrasound. As well as blood and a urine test." Dawn stated, Melinda nodded slowly feeling like this was alot.

"We can do these now. Or you can wait till I finish your checkup."

"Check up first, but I can do the blood and urine right now." Melinda sighed, Dawn smiled rolling to a cabinet pulling some things out.

"Bathroom on the right." Dawn directed.

"Were you scared of the procedures?" More of the outcome....I didn't want to hear any more bad news. I was tired of bad news. Dawn was great helping me get my mind off of her fingers up my damn cooch. Doctor or not thats just awkward. When we were all done I was so anxious and worried.

"So for starters you are underweight for your height, age, and race. About 30 pounds under hun. I need that to come up. You need 3 meals a day. A good breakfast, a decent lunch, and a filling dinner. I know you said you dont have an appetite, so I have a few options for that. I would like to prescribe you some smoothies. Sounds weird but they are medicinal marijuana products. You just need to have one every morning." She spoke, Melinda blinked not expecting that.

"They are rich in Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid content to help repair damaged tissue. That'll help your uterus. Theyll also give you more of an appetite while being a meal replacement in the morning. Also anxiety prevention, depression treatment and mood-boosting qualities. You mentioned that earlier, and I know you dont want to take pills for that." Dawn continued.

"Everything else is good. Iron in your blood is low. Recommend iron rich foods to add to your diet. Now coming to your uterus. I felt fibroids in your uterus during the pelvic exam. I'm not too worried they are small but I felt a few. Then the ultrasound showed a few more. We'll keep an eye on that. For that you'll be on CBD infused hormone blockers. Your hormones are all over the place. That deals in things like weight, stress, menstruation. Once thats regulated and the fibroids are handled your periods should regulate." Dawn spoke, Melinda nodded taking it all in. A frown planting on her face.

"Most fibroids are non cancerous hun. I promise its nothing to really stress over. Lots of women experience these."

"Its not that. Its just....it's a lot of stuff for something that dosen't work. I should just take it all out." Melinda sighed, hating how she was really considering this.

"Your ovary is fine. No cysts, your fallopian tube is a little obstructed from scar tissue but is intact hun. Your uterus still has plenty work to do. She's just a bit out of wack. Once we get it situated we'll discuss fertility."

"Look I heard the doctors. Little to no chance of conceiving even smaller chance of successfully carrying. I dont need to hear it more. I just need my pain managed. Thank you." Melinda harshly snapped, Dawn blinked empathy in her eyes. She could tell just how raw that topic was. This woman wanted a baby.....really really bad.

"I'm not other doctors. A step at a time, however small is still a step." Dawn calmly responded, Melinda scowled looking out the window.

"Are you okay with all I've prescribed?" Dawn questioned, getting a silent nod.

"Okay. All set I will see you in two months. You can get this at the pharmacy in the back. Pleasure meeting you Melinda." Dawn smiled, handing Melinda her prescription. Mel simply nodded exiting the room. Dawn whistled that woman was surely something. She was curious as to why her brother specifically asked for her to take Melinda on rather than any other doctor in the building. Her phone buzzing caught her attention.

"Speak of the devil. What can I do for you?"

"Did Melinda come in?" Derrick spoke, straight to the point.

"Yes Derrick."

"Is she okay? Everything good?" He pried.

"Little brother or not HIPAA laws are real. I love my practice." Dawn muttered.

"Who am I gonna tell Dawn?"

"Nopeeeee, I'm curious though. What's with this blinding concern?" Dawn poked, getting a huff in return.

"No info from you, no info from me." He declared.

"I will say shes the most serious person I've ever met. She didn't laugh or even smile all exam."

"Oh. Yeah shes a little stotic." He chuckled.

"Oh? So shes like that all the time?"

"Not with me, but for the most part yes." He answered.

"Not with me? Said that with so much conviction. She's married is she not?" Dawn spoke, fishing for info. It wasnt like him to be in others business.

"Goodbye Dawn."

She smirked shaking her head. That man was always up to something. The sweet charm was the epitome of what everyone saw. Not many knew the suave side of him. He could be a real slick hitter when he wanted to. Her brother had real drive. When he wanted something. He was gonna get it regardless.

"Melinda, how was your trip?" I'm getting to it damn. It ain't easy just spilling shit you know. "I apologize. Is the trip personal? In a level we haven't reached?" Yeah....it was just special. "Take your time. Tell me when your ready." Okay........I guess I can start with the morning? It was super early. Like 3 in the morning and we had a flight at 5. I was stressed because for one we were going to be late, and two I was worried Robert would change his mind again. I tiptoed through the house like it was fucking mission impossible.

Melinda creeped down the stairs suitcase and carry on in hand. She didnt dare let it roll. Robert had gone from fuck you go, to go and I'll kill you, to be useful and talk battery, to dont leave me, and finally back to fuck you go. Getting to the bottom she felt the strain in her shoulder from carrying the suitcase. She was sure she had a bruise there. Hitting the edge of door jams wasnt fun times.

She slowly crossed the livingroom. Cursing the old wood floorboards anytime the do much as breathed. Getting to the door she slowly set things down to open the door. Praying to God it didn't squeal. Hell after so many heavy slams the shit screamed. Nigga could fix a battery but not a door.

As she finally completed her mission and shut the door, an SUV rolled up. Finally able to roll her suitcase she walked down the walk way. A man dressed in a suit waiting for her at the end. He gestured for her to leave her bags as he opened the door. Getting in Derrick's cologne wrapped around her like a comfort blanket. Looking up from his phone he flashed her a soft smile.

"Good Morning Mellie." He greeted, a groggy husk to his voice. She took him in shocked at his attire. A simple white tee and some sweatpants. He looked equally as mouth watering as always. At his collar she could see a peak of darkness triggering her imagination.

"Good morning Mr. Collins." She echoed, he smirked slightly looking back at his phone. The driver door shutting signaling the pull off. She looked out the window feeling a bit awkward and nervous.

"How was your appointment? I didn't get a chance to talk to you yesterday." Or particularly any day since the scene in his office. She had been not so subtly avoiding him. Even skipping their annual lunch in his office. He was both irritated and bothered by her. He didn't like that at all.

"It was okay." She mumbled.

"You get your situation sorted out?" His teasing half smile, making her duck her head.

"Mhmm." She hummed.

"Good. Need you in good health." He spoke.

"Do you really?" She spoke, an emotion in her voice he wasn't fond of.

"Yes." He stated firmly, his eyes piercing hers. He had strong feeling she didn't hear enough uplifting at home. He didn't like that self hatred that lingered in her tone. He did need her in good health. She brought him joy he hadnt felt in a while. She looked away his eye contact too intense to hold.

"I dont like it when you talk like that Melinda. There's no one else I'd rather be with right now. You have worth. Do you hear me?" He spat, she looked at him in alarm. She hadnt heard that tone ever and she wasnt sure she wanted to hear it again.

"Am. I. Understood?"

"Yes..." Mel fumbled, he blinked reeling himself in. He needed work on those knee jerk reactions. Softening his gaze enough to let her know he wasn't mad. She let out a breath she didnt know she was holding.

"Relax Mellie. I want you to have a good time. Yes its work but it's also a getaway." He offered up, before they fell into comfortable silence.

She glanced at her watch frowning. No way were they making it through TSA before boarding. She grew confused as they seemed to drive right past the airport. Looking at Derrick to see if he shared her confusion he was busy typing away. She silently watched as they pulled up to a gate. A security guard getting a look at the driver before letting them through. The rumble of engines loud and clear.

Melinda's mouth dropped as they pulled up beside a private jet. Derrick's name along the side, as well as his company logo. A door opening made her jump. Derrick exiting and rounding the car. He personally opened her door helping her out. She gaped taking in the sheer size. Derrick grinned easing a hand on the small of her back leading her to the steps.

"The bags?" She asked, he shook his head gesturing for her to walk up.

"Good Morning Mr. Collins. Take off is in 10 minutes. Breakfast is to be served at cruising altitude whenever requested." A woman dressed in stewardess uniform spoke. Melinda gasped the interior of the jet was a damn art peice.

"Thank you Genevieve. Come Mellie." Derrick chuckled, amused as her eyes seemed to glitter. Bringing her to seat, he sat across from her. Buckling up she followed suit.

"Do you get motion sickness?" He asked, she shrugged she wouldn't know.

This was a first for her. He hummed touching a button to his left. A drawer remotely opening from the table. He passed her a nausea pill just in case. She thanked him watching vividly as the drawer closed. Melinda was entranced by everything. Excitement bubbling high as they started moving.

Derrick watched wondering if she knew she was smiling. One that beamed bright. He had a feeling she'd really enjoy herself. He remembered a smile like that from years ago.

"This is stupid. What the hell do I need this trig stuff for. I'm not gonna be a construction worker." Melinda huffed, tossing her calculator down. Derrick pursed his lips pushing his glasses up. Grabbing her calculator he looked at what she got.

"Mel..."

"I'm just saying. I'd rather jump off a bridge, splat, get ran over by an 18 wheeler, THEN have them reverse so my insides can...."

"Mellie! You got it right." He spoke, cutting off another one of her dramatic death sequences.

"I...what? Foreal? I thought it was wrong. It looks wrong." She muttered, looking down at the problem.

"100 percent correct. Even your work is right." He pointed out, she cracked a smile. One that brightened as she really grasped that she did it. She had the best smiles. They found to be so blinding.

"That only took...2 hours." She groaned, Derrick hummed continuing his own homework. Melinda looked up at the clouds knowing her sister would be here to pick her up soon.

"Derrick....you ever worry about the future?" She tossed, he looked up wondering where her sudden deepness came from.

"I...um..kinda." He answered.

"Well I do. Sometimes I think or well hope that when I'm grown and out in the world.....that I'm doing something I love. I dont want to hate to live...you know?"

"Yeah....the unknown is scary." He added, taking in her side profile. The sun reflecting off her grey eyes that reminded him of rain clouds. Stormy yet so beautiful.

"That's why you gotta live for today huh?" She mused, turning back to look at him. Her hair catching the soft wind. He nodded caught in a haze that was just her.

"All we have is now...." He muttered, starting to feel his heart race. His palms growing sweaty. He felt like he was just going to melt.

"Right! Because in the end you only regret the chances you didn't take." She recited.

"You using my favorite quotes now?" He lightly teased, despite his impending heart attack.

"You say so many. I just pick up the ones I like. Reminds me to do for the present." She grinned.

"Mellie....Can I ask you something?" He mumbled, she nodded giving him her undivided attention. A lump formed in his throat as he opened his mouth.

"....I...I..I..."

"Melinda your ride is here." A monitor cut off his sudden stutter fit.

"Okay....you were saying?" Melinda questioned, packing up her things.

"I...I kind of lost it. I dont know what I was going to say." He rushed, she scrunched her face.

"So anticlimactic. I'll see you tomorrow. Study hall again?"

"Uh...yeah sure." He nodded.

"Kay, bye Derrick. Thank you." She rushed, giving him a hug she exited the cafeteria not wanting to keep Brenda waiting any longer. He watched her go his shoulders sagging. Dropping his head on the table he groaned.

"Idiot." He moaned in embarrassment.

Melinda tore her gaze from the window. The clouds losing her entrance. Looking across from her she found Derrick reclined in his seat knocked out. She glanced at her watch realizing she had been staring out the window a full hour. Stretching her arms she figured she could catch some sleep too. It was a 5 hour flight. Unbuckling her seatbelts she located the bathroom. Once she was done she spotted the flight attendant.

"Are there any blankets?" She questioned, feeling a little chilled.

"Yes of course. One moment."

Carrying two blankets and a pillow Melinda returned to her set. Opening one up she creeped over to Derrick. Was is bad to be eyeing a man in his sleep? I mean his meat was just outlined. Shaking her head Melinda lightly draped the blanket over him. Not noticing him peak an eye open at her. He wasnt exactly a hard sleeper. He couldn't help the little grin. A slight heat on his cheeks. He inwardly cursed. How did that little gesture make him warm? Taking her seat she reclined her own chair getting comfortable.

See when we got to California I thought it would be straight to business. "It wasnt?" No, as soon as we got off the plane I was just so excited. We were supposed to check in at the hotel but I mentioned Hollywood boulevard. He had me call check in, and took me to see the stars. God.....I never had been out of Penn....that trip was everything to me. And I mean everything! "What makes it so special? So deep for you?" I dont know....its hard to explain. It just was damn lady! "How about I help you figure out? Keep telling me about it. And I'll note a few things." All you do is take notes. Fine I guess....it was time for dinner meeting. The main objective of the trip.

Melinda looked in the mirror turning side to side. The attire was formal for the restuarant they were going to. She was adorned in a lavender purple mid thigh dress. It flowed gently, not hugging her tight but following the flow of her curves. Her heels were black open toe, simple and sleek. She kept the jewelry light aside from the sparkling heart necklace she had on. Simple hoops in her ears. What was really making her over examine was her hair. Up in a bun...something she never did. Her hair was naturally long and thick making it easy for her to hide behind it. She couldn't do that right now. She felt so exposed.

"Melinda, our ride will be here in......wow." Derrick breathed out, no longer focused on the cufflinks in hand. His eyes drunk her in with gusto. She blushed rubbing the back of her neck. She suddenly didnt want the bun anymore. Stepping deeper into the bathroom he stopped the hand reaching for her hair. His grip firm yet gentle.

"No, leave it." He spoke softly, slowly lowering her hand. Looking at her in the mirror he hummed. His hands now resting on each arm. She was so very aware of his body heat. He was so close...surely he knew that.

"Absolutely divine Ms. Moore." He stated, running his hands down her arms. She fought the shiver, this felt inappropriate but....she didnt mind.

"I think this one will bring it all together." He muttered lowly, it took her a second to realize he was holding one of her lipsticks. Taking it she noticed he was waiting for her. Opening it she started to carefully apply it. Feeling like he was undressing her with his eyes. Locking eyes in the mirror she was aware of him leaning in.

"Perfect." He rumbled, near her ear.

She did shiver then, there's no hiding that one. He stepped back taking off the black tie exiting her bathroom. Jo rolled through her mind. If she were here she'd say fuck the dinner and fuck him. Shaking her head she noticed her phone blaring for the hundredth time. Robert was blowing her line. Texting nonstop, calling non stop. Huffing she ended the call texting him she was in a meeting. It wasn't a full lie.

Muting her phone she slipped it into her clutch with her lipstick. Walking out of her bedroom she waited in the living space of the presidential suite. She was in love with its view. Hearing shoes click she looked up. Derrick exiting his bedroom all put together now. She noticed the purple tie and handkerchief but said nothing.

"You first Ma'lady." He dramatically spoke, opening the door and half bowing. She laughed....she was doing a lot of that today. Heading down to the grand lobby Derrick led her by the small of her back.

"No driver?" Melinda questioned.

"Thought you knew I liked to drive by now." He lightly teased, a 2019 Porsche 718 Boxster pulling up. The valet exited handing the keys to Derrick. Opening the passenger door for Mel before rounding the car.

"This a rental?"

"Nope this one of the babies from home. Cheaper to ship one then rent. Wish I learned that earlier." He muttered, starting up the car.

"That bun secure Mellie?"

"Uh...yeah? Why?" She asked, he smirked hitting a button. The top of the car opening up slowly. A squeal left her before she could stop it.

"Let's roll." He chuckled, accelerating in seconds just to show off. Melinda grinned feeling the thrill set in. Eyeing Los Angeles's beauty at night. The city was alive with color and sound. As they pulled up to a stop sign a Mercedes Benz pulled up next to them. Honking to gain their attention before revving their engine.

"You got your seat belt on?" Derrick questioned, sitting up straighter.

"You're not..." Melinda gaped, he flashed a grin before revving his own engine. Turning back it seemed like odds were in their favor..the long stretch of street ahead empty. Melinda bit her lip excitement building. As soon as the light hit green both cars shot off like a rocket. The faint smell of burnt rubber in the air. The growl of the engine was felt in the seats. Something was surely wrong with her she thought. Why was this turning her on? Especially as they gapped the Benz, making it past the next light before it hit red. Derrick skiffuly eased on the brakes eyeing the traffic in front of them. Before long they were back to cruising.

"Think we might have just discovered you're an adrenaline junky." Derrick pointed out, as they neared the restaurant. Melinda's low eyes drifted to him with a heat that made his dick jump. Definitely a discovery, one that made him match her gaze with his own fire. This woman was gonna be the death of him.

Pulling up to the the restaurant a valet took the car. Smoothing her dress they headed inside. The first of the party to arrive. Derrick pulled her seat out for her. She still was getting used to that. She didn't pay for anything, open her own door, or pull out her own seats when he was with her.

"Red or white?"

"Red." Mel answered, he hummed pleased looking over the wine menu.

"We'll have a bottle of Petrus." He announced to the server. She looked at the little menu and blinked at the prices.

"Dont make that face. Dont worry about it." He stated, already knowing where her mind was going. A 30 dollar meal was way different then meals starting a 200 a plate.

"Derrick..."

"Must we do this every time?" He dramatically exclaimed, she flushed a small chuckle leaving her.

"Fine...just this once I'll let you treat me." She joked, searching the menu for something calling to her.

"Yeah yeah." He dismissed, his smirk on display.

"You and your damn cars. I thought I had you this time." Derrick grinned, setting his menu down. Standing to greet the Mayor Gallagher. The two shook hands like friends rather than business partners. Melinda gasped at the realization bringing his attention to her. She blinked scooting her chair back to stand.

"No no, stay seated. Franklin Gallagher, nice to meet you..." He trailed off, waiting for her to fill in the blank.

"Melinda." She smiled, expecting his hand shake.

"Where did you find such a beauty? Those eyes..." Franklin muttered, kissing the back of her hands. She flushed not at all used to compliment. Derrick scowled swatting the older mans hand away.

"She's my assistant and friend. So keep them political hands off Frank." Derrick grumbled, Franklin rose his hands in surrender.

"I'm starved. We'll talk business later. For now we need to discuss you racing with precious women in your car." He lightly scolded taking a seat.

The nerves Minda had been worried about melted. When Derrick said the mayor was laid back he wasnt lying. She didn't feel like she had sat with a government official. Just a regular person with stellar jokes. She did manage to take note once business rose in conversation. She had almost forgotten it was a meeting. The food was hitting and the wine has her buzzed.

If this was luxury she wanted this everyday. She was a bit perturbed at the fact that even though Derrick bought the bottle they couldn't take it. Type of rich shit was that? She was happy to know Derrick would be buying her a case when they went back to Penn. Even though she didn't tell him that. Was it wrong to actually start to enjoy the gifts? Was she wrong for accepting them? It was innocent, he was just being nice. Like when he shrugged off his suit jacket to cover her arms when they were leaving dinner. He was just sweet. She had fought so hard not to snuggle into it and sniff it like a creep. That damn wine was too good she was feeling a bit to loose.

Back at the hotel she was out on the balcony looking out. Her mind a flurry of thoughts. She happened to see him changing on accident. She wasnt purposely perving....the bedroom door was cracked. She was just passing by. He had shocked her though. She was not expecting to see ink on his chest. He was too deep in the room to make it out but she definitely saw a big peice. He didn't look like the tattoo type. He was constantly suprising her. It made her yearn to know more.

She didnt know if it was his muscles flexing, the tattoo, or the fact that it was just him. She was just hot. Thus her on this balcony to cool off. Enjoying the view she heard the door slide open. Peeking over her shoulder to see him dressed down once more.

"Why dont you have a jacket on?" He scowled, she couldn't even protest before he was pulling one of his hooded sweater over her head. With a pout she stuck her arms through.

"Better?" She sassed.

"Much." He responded, giving her a wink before turning to the view.

"Why you out here anyway?" He questioned, she shrugged looking out. Seeing the ocean in the distance.

"The view....it so peaceful. The smell of salt water. It's new." Melinda mumbled, Derrick hummed looking at his watch.

"You ever been to a beach Mellie?"

"No, why?"

"Let's go." He grinned, turning to head inside.

"Huh? Derrick its 9 o'clock and dark." She responded, he simply smiled shrugging.

"Come on." He tossed, she bit her lip that excitement surfacing again. She felt like a teenager sneaking out. She had told Robert she was going to sleep because she was jetlagged. Yet she was letting Derrick tug her out the hotel.

He was so dead serious about going. At first I thought it was a joke but he called for his car and we left. By the time we made it, 10 was nearing. It was so dark but the moon gave us just enough light. I was scared....I watched CSI people be dying on beaches at night. That man he looked me in the eyes and said....

"I got you Mellie. You're always safe with me."

Melinda nodded slowly, unable to understand how that statement made her heart twist. She wanted to cry but willed herself not to. Getting out the car she didn't think twice when Derrick grabbed her hand. It was oddly intimate. As they strolled to the sand. Melinda eagerly took off the hotel slippers she had thrown on. The feeling of sand between your toes was not at all like people described. She didn't like it one damn bit. Derrick laughed at the face she made. Leading her closer to the water. Rolling up her pajama pants she eagerly ran to the water.

The water was freezing it was fucking October. She didn't give a damn. This was exhilarating. She was living more in a few hours than her whole life. Derrick shivered a bit walking into the water. His pants rolled up as well. Watching her splash about kept a smile on his face. He was happy just watching her absorb the experience.

"How long have we been out here?" She asked, after a long while.

"Almost an hour." He answered, frowning as her chipper mood dipped.

"Oh..I'm sorry."

"For what Mellie? We're having a good time." He assured, she gave him a smile. Walking his way, she wished she could go swimming but it was late and pajamas weren't suitable. Her heart lept out her mouth with a high pitched scream feeling something brush her ankle. She lept out the water into Derrick. He caught her with a strong bark of laughter.

"I've had enough." She blurted, holding onto him for dear life. Looking at the water like a shark was right there.

"You sure? I could just throw you out there." He joked, making a move to drop her.

"I'm sure!" Mel shrieked, he chuckled his rumble dying as he stared into her eyes.

Getting lost he absorbed the moment. Her in his arms felt natural. Like she was just meant to be right here. Staring at her lips he fought a battle within himself. Clearing his throat he adjusted her bridal style walking out the water. Setting her down she scrunched her face at the way the sand was sticking to her feet. Caught off gaurd as he suddenly swept her off her feet again. She didn't comment now that she was out of the water. Her feet were frozen ice sickles. Bringing her to the car he set her down on the hood.

"Hold up." He mumbled, opening the car door coming back with a towel.

She watched as he wordlessly dried and cleaned her feet. She a bit dazed as she was sat in the car. Feeling the heat blasting on her feet. The ride out was quiet but comfortably so. His sweater still on her body. She snuggled into finding comfort in the smell. Soon she was down for the count. Wondering how she got into bed that morning.

The next days got better and better. So many spontaneous adventures. So much random fun. The sadness kicked in when it was time to fly back. Robert had badgered her from the moment she opened her eyes to closing them all trip long. She wasnt looking forward to being home. She was going to miss this freedom. To wake up and just be happy. To just see the beauty in life. She was headed back to her recurring nightmare. Without an escape in sight.

"Melinda, I think this trip is special to you because you stopped looking at Derrick as a friend." What the hell are you talking about? "I've observed your choice of words, the body language. You stopped worrying about if he had an ulterior motive. You opened up this trip. Experienced new things and you did that with him. This was a pivotal moment." .....hmm. "You dont believe so?"

I dont know.

Hope you enjoyed!🥰

Yall get two updates since it's a holiday this week. Be on the look out sometime end of the week.😇

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 1.4K 28
When we last left off the the gang the loss of one beloved mended the broken bonds. Now coping the 8 find themselves more spread out and out of touch...
123K 5.3K 43
Bad things just keep on happening to Laiah Willows. Now she's 24 years old with PTSD, and is borderline. All she wants is to feel okay but with traum...
3M 69.7K 79
WATTY AWARD FINALIST - MOST POPULAR - PARANORMAL ROMANCE Awarded MOST READ 2013 achieving #1 ROMANCE, PARANORMAL, FANTASY, NON TEEN FICTION CHARTS. A...
1.6K 103 14
Taraji has been working for a spy Company for Over 13 years but due to her bad Attendance and bad skills she get's fired. She struggled to keep a roo...