Undaunted (Loki x Reader)

By TheseHallowedRoses

'The end may justify the means, my Valkyrie - but only if there is something out there that justifies the end... More

Author's Final Introduction to The Reader
Undaunted Glossary
Chapter 1 - A Warning Within The Rain
Chapter 2 - Unforeseen Consequences
*Chapter 3 - Intention*
Chapter 4 - A History
Chapter 5 - Calling Cards
Chapter 6 - A Family Reunion
Chapter 7 - Roadtrip
Chapter 8 - The Briefing
Chapter 9 - Boltholes
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - Three on Two
*Chapter 12 - Warrior's Lust*
Chapter 13 - Amends
*Chapter 14 - Override Codes*
Chapter 15 - Stalemate
Chapter 16 - AI's and Lullabies
*Chapter 17 - A Dance*
Chapter 18 - A Final Favor
Chapter 19 - High Treason
Chapter 20 - Fensalir
Chapter 21 - Epiphanies
Chapter 22 - Expeditious Reconciliation
*Chapter 23 - You're Mine*
Chapter 24 - Intentional Parting
Chapter 25 - A Mother's Not So Gentle Touch
Chapter 26 - A Brother's Rough Hand
Chapter 27 - Research and Reunions
Chapter 28 - Projections
*Chapter 29 - The Taste of You*
Chapter 30 - Healing Magic
Chapter 31 - Ancient Dangers
Chapter 32 - A Bloody Lesson
Chapter 33 - The Queen's Return
*Chapter 34 - A New Kind of Game*
Chapter 35 - Brothers and Blocks
Chapter 36 - Red Stains, White Bones, Blue Face
Chapter 37 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 38 - Girls' Day Out
*Chapter 39 - On Display*
Chapter 40 - Hidden Talents
Chapter 41 - Bloodlines
Chapter 42 - Away In Chains
Chapter 43 - Pardons
Chapter 44 - Chaos in a Flat
Chapter 45 - An Assembly of Kings
Chapter 46 - Lies
Chapter 47 - A Wisdom in Protection
*Chapter 48 - Appreciation*
Chapter 49 - A Balanced Mind
Chapter 50 - Guilty
Chapter 51 - The Frost
Chapter 52 - Friends With Cold Hands
Chapter 53 - Icy Spires
*Chapter 54 - Love Locked*
Chapter 55 - A Damsel in Distress
Chapter 56 - Dökgáttir
Chapter 57 - Twisted Vengeance
Chapter 58 - A Final Warning
Chapter 59 - Unlikely
Chapter 60 - Coping
Chapter 61 - Apples
Chapter 62 - Prunes and Fitted Sheets
Chapter 63 - Apologies and Hesitant Hands
Chapter 64 - Slipping
Chapter 65 - Polish and Scars
Chapter 66 - An English Lesson
Chapter 67 - Tricks and Trust
Chapter 68 - Tiny White Flowers
Chapter 69 - Golden Threads
Chapter 70 - Directives
Chapter 71 - Nicknames
Chapter 72 - Fireflies
Chapter 73 - Space
Chapter 74 - Patience and Pride
Chapter 75 - Running
Chapter 76 - The Key
Chapter 77 - Trackers
Chapter 78 - Blind Faith
Chapter 79 - Sentiment
Chapter 80 - Goodbyes
Chapter 81 - Soulmates
Chapter 82 - Quick Sand
Chapter 84 - As It Should Be
Chapter 85 - Little Games, Big Surprises
Chapter 86 - When Worlds Collide
Chapter 87 - Caught
*Chapter 88 - Yes*
Chapter 89 - One of Us
Chapter 90 - A Fitting
Chapter 91 - Mint Chocolate Chip
Chapter 92 - Best of Men and Best of Brothers
*Chapter 93 - Something Blue*
Chapter 94 - Knots
Author's Final Outro Note to the Reader

Chapter 83 - Considerations

8K 306 346
By TheseHallowedRoses

You blink several times, not understanding what you're hearing. Odin had not only saved your life - he had...immortalized it?

"But...but why?" you ask, confused. "And why did he wait? Why...?"

Rather than feel excited or grateful, you feel yourself growing angry.

If Odin knew he was going to bless you all along, he could have saved you all the fear. The panic. The tearful goodbyes.

Loki leans forward and places a kiss on your cheek, his fingers trailing up and down your arm as he feels you growing tense and upset. Thor places a comforting hand on your knee, but you pull away from his touch.

"It is the only way you could have received it, sister," says Thor softly as you glare at him. But you immediately soften your gaze as you see him shrink back slightly.

"Explain," you seethe.

"The Aesir's blessing can only be bestowed upon a mortal who demonstrates godly valor and bravery in battle," Thor says quietly.

"And that valor and bravery can only be demonstrated in a life or death situation, elskede," says Loki, finishing Thor's explanation. "If you had known you were going to receive the blessing, you would not have earned it."

"Father held his tongue because you had to believe in your own sacrifice," says Thor. "Once you were on the brink of death, you had demonstrated the valor and bravery required of the ódauðleg blessun."

"Wait, wait, wait," you say, returning your angry glare to Thor. "Did you know?"

Thor immediately raises his hands indicating innocence.

"I did not, my lady, I swear it! When my father did not bless you immediately upon your return from slaying Amora...," Thor trails off, sadness in his eyes. "I did not know," he finishes quietly.

You shake your head and start rubbing at the headache forming in your temples. "You gods...always so dramatic," you say, rolling your eyes.

A sudden commotion from archway catches your attention as in strolls Odin followed by Frigga, Sif, the Warriors Three, and Herkja. You gasp in delight and surprise seeing all of the familiar faces as they beam, smiling from ear to ear.

"How did they know I'm awake?" you ask Loki quietly.

But no sooner do you ask than you see Loki's projection slink in behind the crowd through the arch way. He catches your eye, giving you a sly wink as he steps around all of your friends and family, now gathered a few steps from your bedside.

His projection places a ghostly hand upon your face before fading away, leaving the real Loki behind you. You smile as you feel him kiss your cheek where his projection had touched it, his arms still threaded around your waist - holding you tightly, safely.

"There she is!" cries Fandral, still limping slightly and using a walking stick to support his weight. "Asgard's Champion!"

You laugh as Fandral pushes through the crowd and takes your hand lifting it to his lips before leaning in and whispering in your ear for only you to hear.

"You saved my life, my lady. I am now, and forever, indebted to you. Call on me should you require a friend."

You smile at Fandral and are about to respond when two young healers approach and pull him away from your bedside for a healing session. You laugh as he shrugs and limps away, bowing to you slightly as he goes.

"Imbecile," hisses Loki under his breath at Fandral's retreating figure. You nudge him slightly, earning a wince.

"I must second Fandral's declaration," a quiet, dignified voice from the back rings out. Hogun steps forth, and smiles broadly - the first time you've seen a genuine smile on the quiet man's face. "You are indeed a champion of the Aesir."

"I smell a feast in our future!" bellows Volstagg, thumping Hogun strongly on the back as the two men bow to you and depart, no doubt seeking out some form of entertainment either on the dueling pitch or in the kitchens.

"You saved us all, Lady Y/n," Sif says quietly from behind Frigga, stepping forward to give you a gentle, yet firm hug. "Thank you," she whispers, stepping back behind Thor, still sitting at your bedside.

You watch as Frigga finally catches your eye, stepping beside Thor and placing a hand on his shoulder. Thor leans forward and leaves behind one last kiss on your forehead before standing and yielding his chair to his mother.

He steps beside Sif and wraps his arm around her waist, pulling her in close to his side and pressing a kiss to her temple. Sif catches your eye briefly, her face a bright red, before looking away with a flustered smile.

"My child," says Frigga, placing a hand on your knee. "How do you feel?"

"Immortal, I guess," you say with a laugh.

Frigga smiles gently and raises her hands to you, her glowing gold seidr passing over your body as her smile grows. She nods her head as if satisfied with whatever she has just learned about your recovery.

As she does so, Odin places a hand on Frigga's shoulder as he speaks directly to you, his eye locking with yours.

"It appears you have been informed of your blessing, child," he says softly. "Have you made your decision?"

Your brow furrows as you look back at Loki, whose lips are pressed together in a thin line.

"We must speak on it further, father," says Loki.

You arch your brow when Loki refers to Odin as "father" - something you haven't heard him do for a very, very long time.

"As is to be expected," Odin answers. "But you have very little time, my son. She has been asleep for five days."

"I'm confused," you say, looking between Frigga and Odin before casting a glance to Thor, who gives you a simple smile.

"Leave us," says Loki, dismissing his family.

"What?" you say, as they all turn to go. "No! No, wait, what's going on?" you say.

Frigga turns back to you, and places a hand on your cheek. "There are some things better discussed privately, my dear. Fear not, we will return."

With that, Frigga and Odin lead the procession from the healing ward.

"Wait! Herkja!"

Herkja turns from the archway, cocking her head.

"When you come back...can you please bring me my son?"

Herkja smiles and nods before disappearing with the others into the hall.

Once gone, the healing ward feels very large. And very empty. If not for Fandral's bickering with the healers across the ward, you'd feel almost overwhelmed by the emptiness. Turning your attention back to Loki, you cross your arms.

"Okay, spill," you say, looking to Loki who inhales deeply.

"My darling...you do understand what being granted immortality means, don't you?"

You furrow your brow as you look to Loki, a certain sense of dread welling up in your chest. Loki can see that you don't understand what he's talking about. He sighs and crawls down the bed so that you both face one another, your knees touching as you both sit cross legged. Taking your hands in his, he kisses them once before looking back at you.

"As mortals live, their bodies grow, then decay exponentially faster than the Aesir. I'm over one thousand years old, darling. Yet in health I am only a few years older than you. Now that you have been given this blessing, we are, in a sense, the same age."

You smirk as you lean forward and peck Loki's lips. "I refuse to be told I'm a thousand years old, Lo, that's rude," you say as you lean back, teasing him and watching as Loki rolls his eyes. "But yes, I get it. Go on," you say, hiding the nervousness for whatever decision Odin had been referring to.

"Darling...that means that like myself, and our son, you will live for thousands of years to come."

Your breath catches in your chest. "Wh-what?" you say.

"Several thousand years more, my darling. That is what the blessing will give you."

You start to feel slightly dizzy as your heart races.

"Right...yeah, that...that makes sense," you say breathlessly. 

"Elskede...you will watch those you love grow old and die. It is not an easy thing to experience," Loki says somberly. You can tell he has more to say, but he stops, biting his lip slightly as it seems he doesn't want to say whatever it is he has on his mind.

"Go on, Lo," you say encouragingly.

"Kærasta...you don't have to accept this blessing," he says quietly.

"What?" you say. "Loki, of course I want to accept it."

"No, darling. You must think about it. You must really consider what you're being given. Can you handle living your entire life watching your family, your friends, all grow old and die?"

You're quiet as your thoughts immediately turn to Tony and Pepper.

Then to Steve.

And Nat.

Clint and Bruce.

Loki is right. It would be excruciatingly painful to watch them age knowing that there is nothing you can do to prevent yourself from having to experience the loss of them one day.

But it doesn't matter.

"Loki," you say firmly, taking his hands in yours. "You are my family. Anthony is my family. There's no question here, sweetheart," you say encouragingly, stroking the back of his hands with your thumb.

Loki lets out a sigh of relief, and his entire body relaxes. You realize from his previously tensed posture that he had truly feared that you may not want the blessing Odin has given you.

"Elskede," Loki says, reaching out and tucking a piece of hair behind your ear. "This is not a decision that can be reversed once made. The blessing endures after seven days. Please," he begs. "Think about this for the two days you have remaining. Sit with your decision. Take every moment to consider."

"I don't need to consider anything, Lo," you say. "I know my answer."

"Please," he begs. "Two days, darling. Spend time considering the consequences."

A series of small giggles from hallway causes you and Loki both to look to the archway, as Herkja appears once more, Anthony in hand.

"Okay," you whisper. "Two days. I'll think about it."

Smiling, Loki leans forward and kisses your forehead as Herkja nears your bedside, placing Anthony between you and Loki.

Wrapping the little boy tightly in your arms as Loki slides back to your side, your body, mind, and spirit finally feel whole. You pray the feeling lasts. 

At least for two more days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 3.4K 33
Fair warning: There is SMUT and foul language This is my first story so, don't expect too much lol. Regarding SMUT, there will be some but not every...
267K 6.4K 42
After finishing medical school you decide to join the first order as one of their medics. A routine assignment does not go as planned and it's on you...
284K 6.2K 33
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
150K 2.6K 23
This is a Story about (Y/N) and Legolas, You have been Betrothed to Him as a Political Alliance between Celeborn and Thranduil. It has nothing to do...