Undaunted (Loki x Reader)

By TheseHallowedRoses

'The end may justify the means, my Valkyrie - but only if there is something out there that justifies the end... More

Author's Final Introduction to The Reader
Undaunted Glossary
Chapter 1 - A Warning Within The Rain
Chapter 2 - Unforeseen Consequences
*Chapter 3 - Intention*
Chapter 4 - A History
Chapter 5 - Calling Cards
Chapter 6 - A Family Reunion
Chapter 7 - Roadtrip
Chapter 8 - The Briefing
Chapter 9 - Boltholes
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - Three on Two
*Chapter 12 - Warrior's Lust*
Chapter 13 - Amends
*Chapter 14 - Override Codes*
Chapter 15 - Stalemate
Chapter 16 - AI's and Lullabies
*Chapter 17 - A Dance*
Chapter 18 - A Final Favor
Chapter 19 - High Treason
Chapter 20 - Fensalir
Chapter 21 - Epiphanies
Chapter 22 - Expeditious Reconciliation
*Chapter 23 - You're Mine*
Chapter 24 - Intentional Parting
Chapter 25 - A Mother's Not So Gentle Touch
Chapter 26 - A Brother's Rough Hand
Chapter 27 - Research and Reunions
Chapter 28 - Projections
*Chapter 29 - The Taste of You*
Chapter 30 - Healing Magic
Chapter 31 - Ancient Dangers
Chapter 32 - A Bloody Lesson
Chapter 33 - The Queen's Return
*Chapter 34 - A New Kind of Game*
Chapter 35 - Brothers and Blocks
Chapter 36 - Red Stains, White Bones, Blue Face
Chapter 37 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 38 - Girls' Day Out
*Chapter 39 - On Display*
Chapter 40 - Hidden Talents
Chapter 41 - Bloodlines
Chapter 42 - Away In Chains
Chapter 43 - Pardons
Chapter 44 - Chaos in a Flat
Chapter 45 - An Assembly of Kings
Chapter 46 - Lies
Chapter 47 - A Wisdom in Protection
*Chapter 48 - Appreciation*
Chapter 49 - A Balanced Mind
Chapter 50 - Guilty
Chapter 51 - The Frost
Chapter 52 - Friends With Cold Hands
Chapter 53 - Icy Spires
*Chapter 54 - Love Locked*
Chapter 55 - A Damsel in Distress
Chapter 56 - Dökgáttir
Chapter 57 - Twisted Vengeance
Chapter 58 - A Final Warning
Chapter 59 - Unlikely
Chapter 60 - Coping
Chapter 61 - Apples
Chapter 62 - Prunes and Fitted Sheets
Chapter 63 - Apologies and Hesitant Hands
Chapter 64 - Slipping
Chapter 65 - Polish and Scars
Chapter 66 - An English Lesson
Chapter 67 - Tricks and Trust
Chapter 68 - Tiny White Flowers
Chapter 69 - Golden Threads
Chapter 70 - Directives
Chapter 71 - Nicknames
Chapter 72 - Fireflies
Chapter 73 - Space
Chapter 74 - Patience and Pride
Chapter 75 - Running
Chapter 76 - The Key
Chapter 77 - Trackers
Chapter 78 - Blind Faith
Chapter 79 - Sentiment
Chapter 80 - Goodbyes
Chapter 81 - Soulmates
Chapter 82 - Quick Sand
Chapter 83 - Considerations
Chapter 84 - As It Should Be
Chapter 85 - Little Games, Big Surprises
Chapter 86 - When Worlds Collide
Chapter 87 - Caught
*Chapter 88 - Yes*
Chapter 89 - One of Us
Chapter 90 - A Fitting
Chapter 91 - Mint Chocolate Chip
Chapter 92 - Best of Men and Best of Brothers
*Chapter 93 - Something Blue*
Author's Final Outro Note to the Reader

Chapter 94 - Knots

11.7K 396 1.2K
By TheseHallowedRoses

"Okay ladies! Bottoms up! It's time!"

Natasha raises her glass as you, Sif, Herkja, Sylvi, and Pepper do the same. In one motion, you all down your single shot and start making your way to the elevator in Tony's apartment.

Looking around as the doors shut, you laugh at the ultimate destruction of the room. The slumber party had been a blast, and Natasha had done a great job making sure everyone stayed sober enough to wake up without a hangover. But that doesn't mean you hadn't had a wild time. Gifts, cake, drinks, music, dancing...it had been a wonderful night with your best friends and your mom.

And in the morning, Nat had woken you with fresh fruit and toast. A light breakfast. Enough to keep your stomach settled, but avoid nervous nausea.

Together, you had all gotten ready - the girls helping you into your gown and shoes. Sif had helped you with the diadem and veil. Herkja had done your hair and Sif and Sylvi had helped with a bit of light makeup.

Now, riding up to the big party hall on the 64th floor, you find yourself nervous for the first time. Which is silly, considering there wouldn't a crowd, really. Only your family, and some associates of the Avengers that Tony had invited. During the planning of the last week, you and Loki had been clear with the family. Nothing extravagant. Nothing complex. The two of you want a simple wedding with your friends and family. You didn't even want to leave the tower, which is why Pepper and Natasha had worked to hard to get the party hall on the top floor suitable for such an occasion as this.

Still, despite your readiness, you could feel the dancing of butterfly wings in your stomach, as your cheeks flush slightly. But is it really nerves? Excitement? Unbridled longing?

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. You love him. And that in itself is the beginning of the end of everything.

"Relax, honey," says Pepper, patting your arm gently as she adjusts the loose curls that hand delicately beneath your veil. "Everything's in place. I've already been up here to make sure. And everyone's ready too," she says with a smile. "And you look absolutely wonderful."

You smile as you hold your bouquet of dark green roses in the golden bouquet holder in one hand, the other drifting over your tulle skirts. Pepper had been right - the alterations had been worth the hours of pricks and pinches. The dress fit perfectly as the airy white tulle floats around your ankles, hugging your breasts and waist, falling perfectly on your hips before spilling to the floor.

The elevator dings, and you step out into a reception space, a heavy set of wooden doors ahead.

"Mama!"

Turning, you see Thor carrying Anthony in one arm as Thyra holds his hand walking up to you.

"Hi baby," you say, leaning over and giving him a little kiss on his cheek, wiping off a small smudge of lipstick with your thumb. He's dressed in a little suit, his long dark locks slicked back like how his father used to wear his. In his hands, he holds a little pillow.

"Hi mama," says a little voice from beside Thor.

"Oh honey, you look beautiful!" you say, bending down as far as you can to admire Thyra in her gold flower girl dress. She holds a basket of dark green rose petals in her hand.

You look up to greet Thor, but his eyes have grown wide at the sight of Sif in her sheath-cut golden bridesmaid dress.

"Oh, wow, squirt." Tony's voice from down the hall catches your attention as he walks over, followed by Bruce, and Clint. All dressed to the nines in their tuxes. "You look incredible!"

Tony kisses your cheek as he threads his arm in yours.

"Thanks dad," you whisper."

Suddenly, the big oak doors in front of you creak open just enough for Steve to slip through. He immediately shuts them and walks over to Natasha whispering to her. She smiles, and approaches the group.

"Okay people, it's showtime!" she says in an elevated whisper.

Natasha starts moving people around, lining them up in front of the doors. Thor first.

"Stay there, don't move," she says, looking at him sternly. "When the doors open, you'll walk down to the altar and up the two stairs. I taped a "T" on the floor, okay? Find the "T" and just stand there. Got it?"

Thor nods and stands still. You laugh at Natasha's militaristic precision.

Behind Thor, Nat couples Steve and Sif, followed by Bruce and Herkja, then Clint and Sylvi. Finally, she has Thyra stand behind Clint, bending down to speak to her.

"You remember what I showed you to do?"

Thyra nods with a smile.

"Good girl," Nat says, kissing her cheek before taking Anthony from Thor, and coming over to take your hand. "Come on, Y/n," she says.

"Wait, what?" you say.

"Loki has to walk in first. He can't see you yet. As soon as he goes, I'll come get you. He's waiting in that room over there."

Natasha jerks her head towards a small door on the other side of the hall and you feel an urge to run to it. But Natasha's grip on your arm tightens as she opens the door, and shoves you inside.

"Just be patient for like, ten minutes okay?" she asks. "It'll take Fitzsimmons a few minutes to get the suits in place for afterwards. They've got to get them in exactly the right spots.

"Fitzwho?"

"Doesn't matter. Just...stay here."

"Wait Nat, I...I need some air," you say, your heart beginning to race. You can feel the tension in the air growing as everyone gets excited to start the ceremony, and it's making you nervous.

"What?" Nat says, looking at you, concerned. "Are you all right?"

"No...Yes, I...I just need to breathe for a second," you say, your breaths growing shallow as you reach out a hand and place it on her shoulder for support.

"Y/n, hey...hey it's okay. Take a deep breath," Natasha says, placing a gentle hand on your back.

"Is everything okay?"

Looking up from the floor, you see Steve over Natasha's shoulder.

"I think she's starting to have a panic attack," says Natasha, looking up at Steve.

"Here, let me talk to her," says Steve, taking your arm and guiding you to a small bench in the side room. Natasha nods and steps inside behind you and Steve, shutting the door. But she hangs back, letting you and Steve talk alone.

"Good morning," Steve says with a small laugh as he places one calming hand on your back.

"Steve I...I don't know what's wrong with me," you say, starting to tear up.

"Well, you're about to get married to a thousand year old immortal alien," Steve chuckles.

"You're not helping," you groan, starting to feel nauseous.

Steve is quiet for a moment, gently rubbing your back before speaking again.

"Do you love him?" he asks you quietly.

"Yes," you answer, without hesitation.

"Then maybe that's enough," says Steve. "You don't have to get married if you don't want to, Y/n."

"No, that's not...I want to get married I just...it's a long time, Steve, I..." you trail off, not sure exactly what you're trying to say. But Steve seems to understand exactly what has you so flustered. He takes his hand from your back, and holds both of yours in his.

"You found your forever, Y/n. Don't run from it."

You let out a shuddering exhale as you feel Steve's arms wrap around you gently, so as not to pull or yank at your veil. He holds you tightly for a few moments before whispering in your ear.

"We might not be there for all of it. But we'll be by your side for as much of it as possible. And we won't leave you until you're ready to go on without us. I promise."

Your body starts to shake as you let tears roll down your face.

Without even having to explicitly name your fear, he had so accurately addressed it. And you feel an incredible weight lifted from your shoulders.

"Okay mama, enough of that," says Nat, stepping up and crouching in her golden dress in front of you, lifting your chin as you pull away from Steve. "Thank God for waterproof mascara," she mumbles, wiping away a small smudge.

Steve and Nat pull you to your feet. Both of them give you a final hug before leaving you in the small room to wait for your turn in the ceremony. You focus on breathing deeply as the time crawls by. Finally, you hear music begin playing.

After what feels like an hour, but is likely closer to 15 minutes, Natasha comes back to get you and you take your place at the back of the line with Tony and Pepper, threading your arms through theirs.

The couples go one by one followed by Thyra, who walks proudly down the aisle dropping flower petals behind her. Finally, it comes down to you, Tony and Pepper.

"You ready, squirt?" Tony asks.

"Yeah, dad," you say with a smile. "I'm ready."

"You sure?" Tony says. "Because I can still have him locked back up in that tower, if you want," he says, arching one brow.

You laugh and roll your eyes as Pepper reaches around you and slaps the back of Tony's head.

"What?" he hisses. "I just want to make sure she's doing the right thing!" he says.

"I know dad," you whisper as the music begins to crescendo. "And I am. I know in my heart this is right."

He leans over and kisses your head. Pepper lays a hand on your arm as the music swells and the doors open once more. Tony pulls you and Pepper gently forward and your eyes immediately find Loki's.

The moment your eyes connect, you feel your breath leave your body as the warmth of his familiar and overwhelmingly loving presence floods your mind.

Kærasta.

Loki's voice in your head makes tears well up in your eyes. But you can see that he's already crying, tears running down his cheek as Thor places a hand on his brother's shoulder, leaning forward and whispering something in his ear. Loki smiles, his ears and cheeks growing red.

You gaze adoringly at him. Dressed in formal Asgardian robes, he even has his golden battle horns atop his head. He looks amazing.

As Loki looks down to the ground to try and collect himself, you scan the room, and smile as you see Melinda standing guard near the side doors, and two young scientists you don't recognize fidgeting with a control panel of some sort in their hands.

Almost to the altar, you find Loki's eyes once more. Already red around the rims from his tears, you grin at his own uncontrollable smile before looking up into the friendly, familiar eyes of the officiant.

"Hey kid," Phil whispers with a wink.

The music quiets as Tony hands you to Loki before taking a seat at the front next to Pepper. Phil reads through the traditional marriage ceremony, but you don't hear a single word as you drown in Loki's gentle, loving gaze. It isn't until you see Loki's lips moving that you realize what he's saying.

"I do."

"And do you, Y/n Stark," you smile at the use of Tony's last name - something you had asked him if it was okay you start using. "Take Loki Odinson to be your husband from this day forward, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?"

"I do," you say quietly. Softly. Meaning every syllable as you stare into Loki's eyes.

"Then I pronounce you man and wife. Loki, for god's sake kiss your bride," laughs Phil.

Your heart flies as Loki reaches for you, pulling you close and leaning you back slightly as he presses his firm, yet soft lips to yours. You wrap your arms around his neck as the small crowd that has gathered stands and begins to clap. A few wild cheers coming from your friends standing nearby.

As Loki pulls away, you hear Nat whistle loudly, and four of Tony's Iron Man suits fly into the room through the side doors, diving down and scooping up the benches from the large reception hall. You and the other wedding guests watch, stunned, as before your eyes the four buzzing figures transform the spaces from a ceremonial hall into a reception bannquet, everything laid out in gilded golds and greens.

The suits fly around the room, popping off streamers and mini fireworks as they completely transform the space, cheers and clapping from the small audience watching spurring them on.

By the time they're finished, beautiful gold and green centerpieces decorate each table, glittering chandeliers hang from the ceilings, overwhelmingly large tables of food are laid out in the back, and a massive 12-tier cake in the centers. With a final whistle from Natasha, a parade of dolled up waiters and waitresses waltz into the room with hors d'oeuvres and champagne on golden trays while an full open bar opens up in the back.

"Let's get this party started!" cries out Natasha over a mic that one of the young shield agents you noticed earlier...who looks much more like a scientist than an agent, tossed to her.

The lights dim and music starts to play as immediately your friends and family begin to congratulate you and Loki one by one before disappearing to socialize, drifting to the bar or back towards the food.

"That was amazing Nat!" you say as she makes her way towards you and Loki, still standing together at the altar awestruck at the transformation that had just taken place before your eyes.

"Thanks girl! Took a few practice runs but we finally got it figured out."

You and Loki both laugh as all the groomsmen and bridesmaids file by, one by one, to congratulate you and Loki. Once everyone says their congratulations, you all move to the dancefloor.

The hours fly by in a whirl of friends, family, dancing, drinking, and music. You hold Anthony on your hip most of the evening as he clings to your veil while Thyra seems to not want to let go of Loki's hand. Until finally, you find yourself without the kids. Steve dances with Thyra, spinning her in circles as Sif and Thor dote on Anthony, who stuffs another handful of cake into his mouth.

"May I steal you away, my bride?"

Loki's whisper in your ear sends a shiver down your spine as you nod, giggling as he takes your hand and pulls you out a set of side doors and to a small balcony nearby.

The moment the cool evening air hits your face, you breathe out a sigh of relief as Loki pulls you into his chest, wrapping one arm around your waist as he holds your hand in his, swaying with you gently, dancing to the music you can still hear coming from inside.

In silence the two of you simply hold each other, enjoying the quiet moment alone. Loki presses kisses to the top of your head as he spins you gently and you sway in the breeze.

"I have said this a hundred times over, but I will say it a hundred more, my darling...you look beautiful."

Your cheeks grow warm as you look up at Loki and pull his lips to yours.

Suddenly, a loud flapping sound catches your attention and you jump, startled, as two large black birds land on the balcony railing.

But Loki doesn't seem startled. In fact, he lets you go, and steps in front of you, crossing his arms and arching one brow.

"Huginn. Muninn," he says, greeting the birds as if he knows them. "You have traveled far."

The bird on the left lets out a loud, shrieking caw and lifts its leg, a golden velvet pouch attached securely.

Loki furrows his brow, untying it from the raven's leg and pocketing it before looking back to the birds.

"Anything else?" he asks stiffly.

The bird on the right now caws, and its eyes glow a beautiful golden color. It opens its beak, and you let out a small shriek in fright as Heimdall's voice echoes from it.

"Honor and acclaim to you, Prince Loki and Princess Y/n, on your ceremony. The King and Queen send their regards."

"What the fu-"

"Thank you, Heimdall," Loki says, cutting you off and holding up a single hand. "Please thank my mother for her generous contribution to the proceedings."

"Be well, my Prince."

The crow then quirks its head towards you, its golden eyes staring right through you, sending a eerie chill down your spin. It's very unsettling.

"And you, My Princess. I look forward to your next visit."

"Um...thanks?" you say.

You hear a small chuckle come from the raven as it shuts its beak and its eyes return to normal. Both crows seem to bow their head to Loki, who bows back as they take off from the balcony railing, disappearing into the dark night sky.

"What the Hel was that," you say after a moment.

"Friends of my father," Loki says nonchalantly. "Never you mind. I'm more interested in what my mother has gifted us," he says, inspected the small golden pouch in his hands.

"Your mother?"

Loki nods, looking one final time at the pouch before handing it to you. You turn it over in your fingers, and see a golden daisy embroidered on the pouch. Your breath catches.

"Lo, that's her calling card," you say quietly.

"It is," he says, intrigued.

"Is she telling us to come back to Asgard?" you ask.

"I don't know, love. Open the bag."

Nervous, fingers trembling, you untie the strings and reach your fingers inside. You pull out a small stone with a rune carved in the top. You look at it for a moment, confused, but when you look up at Loki, you see his eyes have gone wide with shock.

"It can't be," he says, reaching out for the rune. You hand it to him.

"What is it, Lo?" you ask.

"It's a heimilisblessun," he says.

"A what?" you ask.

"It's a key, elskede," he exhales.

"A key for what, Lo?"

"Not for what, darling. For where. This is the key to Fensalir. Mother is...she's gifting us the palace."

Your jaw drops as your eyes flit between Loki and the rune.

"Wh-what?" you say breathlessly. "We...we can't accept that Lo. I-I...I can't live in Asgard I mean, my family is here I thought...I thought we agreed we'd visit and...and-"

Loki holds up a finger to your lips, giving you a smile.

"She isn't demanding we live there darling. Look. What color is the pouch?"

"Gold," you say.

"Gold," he echoes. "Not crimson," he says, shaking his head with a smile.

"Not crimson," you sigh in relief.

You and Loki are both silent for a moment. Stunned. Shocked that Frigga would gift her only safe haven to you. But a sudden thought occurs to you, and it makes your stomach flip.

"Will...will Thor be jealous?" you ask timidly. "I don't want this to be a problem, Lo," you say.

"No, elskede," Loki answers, pulling you into his chest as he places the rune in your palm. "I doubt it. Fensalir never meant much to him beyond a fun summer home on occasion. Besides, as the crown prince he will live his life in the palace. Even after he marries. He will raise his children there. His firstborn heir will do the same."

You nod. You suppose that makes sense.

Loki sighs contentedly, resting his chin on your head.

"Well, it will be nice to have a home when we leave here," you say quietly. "In a hundred years or so, you know?" you say.

Loki kisses your head.

"It'll be a wonderful place to raise all the children," he agrees.

"All the children?" you ask, arching one brow.

"You didn't think we'd stop at two now, did you?" he teases, rubbing his nose on yours.

"Loki Odinson," you tease. "I do believe that's a thing that you talk about with your wife before making plans!"

"Well?" he asks. "Would you like another baby, elskede?" he growls, nibbling at your ear.

You laugh and lean back in his arms as he kisses your neck, thinking about his question.

"Yeah, Lo," you answer quietly. "Yeah I...I think I would."

"Well then, perhaps we should get started," he smirks, his lips already on your neck as his hands find your waist.

"I still have my implant," you laugh.

"Plenty of time to practice, then," Loki says, spinning you around and catching your lips with his.

You melt into Loki's kiss and pull back briefly, casting one look back through the balcony doors to your friends and family dancing inside. You watch Tony holding Pepper as Steve picks up Thyra and Anthony, one in each arm. A tear comes to your eye.

"Ástin mín?" Loki asks.

"We did it, Lo," you say quietly.

"What do you mean, darling."

"We...we did it. We survived. Both of us. All of us. I...I wasn't sure if...at one point I thought that maybe, we wouldn't get to have...this. Any of this. But we survived," you say quietly.

Loki turns you once more to face him, placing a hand on your cheek and looking deeply into your eyes, a serious look on his face.

"We did, my love. We did because you willed it so. I stand here your husband. I, your king, and you, my queen. Our son and daughter mere paces away safe and loved by imbeciles I never imagined I would one day even tolerate, let alone consider family. And it is by your design."

Your lip starts to tremble as the pure weight of all that has happened over the past years begins to settle on your shoulders.

Loki spins you once more to peer inside and look at your family.

"This is a happy ending, my love. And there aren't enough of those out there. Savor it."

You relax into Loki's arms as you watch Natasha and Bruce dance together next to Thor and Sif. Steve now has Anthony on his shoulders as Thyra dances with Tony.

As you watch, a strange peace settles on your heart. And it's right here, right now - with Loki's arms wrapped tightly around you and his fingers in your hand tracing the scar in your palm - that you realize a certain truth: happy endings can't happen without the tragedy of middles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 3.4K 33
Fair warning: There is SMUT and foul language This is my first story so, don't expect too much lol. Regarding SMUT, there will be some but not every...
363K 8.4K 70
You are Boba Fett's granddaughter and like your father and grandfather, you carry on the Fett tradition as the Galaxy's Finest Bounty Hunter. You pl...
85.1K 2K 13
(Y/N) (L/N) was an assasin with super enhanced powers who was originally sent to destroy S.H.I.E.L.D. Clint was sent to kill her but instead made a d...
1.5M 51.4K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...