Taekook Oneshots

Bởi hooverssweaterpaws

A selection of concepts that I thought of in order to avoid writing endless books. Enjoy! (REQUESTS CLOSED) ... Xem Thêm

Christmas Special
New Year's Day
Taepunzel
Let Me Know
Stay With Me
Cosmos
Stay With me (2)
Things We Lost In The Fire
Falling For You
National Anthem
Electric Shock
This is me
Marionette
Run Away Baby
Happier
Who We Are
Never enough
King
Little things
From Now On
Crystal Snow
Twilight of the Gods
Paper Hearts
Fallen Angel
Beautiful Killer
Truth Untold
Truth Untold (part 2)
Little things (2)
Banana Pancakes
Into the Void
Beautiful Killer (2)
Summer Lovin
Good To You
I've Got The Magic In Me
Animals
Shooting Star
Drunk in Love
Toy Soldiers
Cops and Robbers
Sleep
Porcelain
Power
Thunder In My Heart
Famous Last Words
Crystal
Thunder In My Heart (2)
Famous Last Words (2)
Last Goodbye
Royals
Video Games
Shoot Me
Shelter
Purple Rain
Tattoo
Fast Car
Our Love is God
Glitch
2U
Halloween
Nothing Compares To You
Shangri-La
Hidden
Adventure
The Call (1)
The Call (2)
Adventure part two
That's Christmas To Me
For forever
The Mad Hatter
Spring Day
Mad Hatter (2)
Dracula (part 1)
Hold On
Water
Valentine
He Lives In You
Ninja
Tokyo
Demons
Royals (2)
Dracula (2)
Grow as we go
Beautiful Liar
Cœurdonnier (prequel)
Your Song
We Are Family
Beautiful Liar (2)
Wind Beneath My Wings
Cœurdonnier
All the Small Things
Proud
Spider
Milky Way
Magic Shop (1)
Neon Pegasus
Magic Shop (2)
Brave
Silenced By The Night
Nightmare
Constellations
Conversations
Happy Ending
Any Other World
Destiny (1)
Wanted
Cracked
Destiny (2)
Light Behind Your Eyes
Breathe Again
The Last Of The Real Ones (1)
Music Box
Black Butler
Titanium
Helpless
Dog Days Are Over
Earth, Wind and Fire
Read All About It
Standing By
Find You
Fantasy (1)
Lost
Any Way The Wind Blows
Check Yes Juliet
Her
Familiarity
Time
Read All About it (2)
Royal Meeting
Black Swan
Purple Summer
The Last of The Real Ones (2)
Hero
Something Just Like This
Whatever It Takes
Shut Up And Kiss Me
Multifaceted
Coffee
Pick Me Up
Enemy
Welcome To The Jungle
Licensed To Kill
Run Boy Run
Into the Unknown (1)
Sweet Chaos
Monster
This Is Where I Belong
Wait For Me
Candle In The Wind
Birds
Out of the Woods
Flicker
Hurricane
All Eyes On Me
The Things That Matter
In Tenderness We Fall
Never Say Die (Part 1)
Unwritten
The Coldest Winter
Listen

Leader of The Pack

1.6K 85 202
Bởi hooverssweaterpaws

(A oneshot where Tae is the Luna of the pack, and then his mate arrives, and it's kook. also jihope and namjin are there. A request from a very patient wonder!)

My mother always told me that leadership isn't a given, that one cannot ever assume they have total power over anyone simply based on traits they were awarded by a lottery at birth. She was a strong believer in the idea that someone's ability to influence others in a positive way was driven by their own motivations, their patience, their own personal skillset. Inheritance was important, sure, but it wasn't everything.

I've always thought that a good leader comes naturally. A good leader comes out of necessity, not out of greed or the longing for power. It takes experience, learning to be comfortable with one's own decisions. It takes some confidence to stand in front of a group and promise them that you know what you're doing. 

I never considered myself a leader, and maybe that is precisely why I ended up with the position, when my parents passed on. Maybe that's why my mother eventually became a leader herself before she died, as the mate of the Head Alpha. She always seemed to know what she was doing, and yet at the same time I always saw a look of confusion in her eyes, a glint of panic whenever someone came to her with a new problem she'd never tried to solve before. 

When I was born, the entire pack thought I'd be an alpha. They weren't expecting me to turn around and present as a beta, my eyes glowing bright amber the first full moon after my fifth birthday, just before I shifted into wolf form. They were expecting something more massive, something a little more intimidating. But my mother merely shifted her own form into that of a wolf, and taught me how to function in this new body. I'll never forget the look of pride in her eyes when I returned from my first solo run, a decade later. 

My father wasn't too bothered either, maybe because he thought he'd end up having a second child, someone who could be the Head Alpha instead. He didn't agree with my mother's ideas about leadership, not as much, and he wanted his own child to take the mantle of Head Alpha after he died. But he allowed her to teach me everything she wanted, because he loved her. And he didn't see the harm in making sure someone understood the basics, the things that the pack would need. 

I truly believe my family loved each other. I honestly do. I know it's weird to say it out loud, but I had a lot of faith in the relationship my parents had, and I count myself lucky for that. Many Lunas, like my mother, never got a say in how the pack was run. They were merely trophies of sorts, arm candy for some arrogant alpha who paraded them around to show off how good they were as a homemaker. 

My father always told me that a good Luna made a good Alpha. They were a partnership, not a hierarchy. And that's the way he always seemed to act, turning to her for advice if he wasn't certain on something, accepting any decisions she'd made in his absence. He trusted her, implicitly, and the rest of the pack did too. Perhaps even more so than he did, sometimes. 

It's hard to truly know, now. 

My father passed on as a result of an accident, much earlier than any of us were expecting.

He was out on a normal run, with some members of the pack, myself included. It was a scouting mission, as I remember, just checking the edges of our territory, in the middle of the forest. A great crash suddenly echoed through the trees, and my father stopped short, out of nowhere, and collapsed. 

We all crowded round him, as he lay there, in the middle of some horrifying contraption: a trap, with great metal teeth, which had snapped around him without warning. We knew about these traps, placed by poachers to catch various creatures. But we hadn't expected to see one on our usual route. 

He didn't even make the journey home, as the trap had bitten directly into his head. My mother already knew, of course, that he was gone, by the time we got back. I was crying, all of us were, and she was already in the throes of grief. She'd felt the connection break the moment his life winked out. 

To her credit, she handled her loss with a bravery I could never match. She stood tall, taking over my father's duties as well as her own within a week. My father had ordered a few of his closest friends to support her if the worst happened, and they quickly followed his instructions. Nobody ever tried to take over, or replace my father. My mother was the Luna in her own right, and she was respected for that even outside of our own territory, in other nearby packs we interacted with the most. 

It became clear after two years that she was beginning to struggle. No wolf can cope for long after the death of a mate, and if they don't find another person to attach themselves to, they begin to decline. Most wolves only hang on for sixth months. She held on for a total of three years, way longer than anyone was expecting. By the time she eventually passed on, I was in my early twenties. Old enough, she decided, to take her duty and carry it myself, as she explained about an hour before she finally joined my father in the world beyond. 

A problem presented itself almost immediately after: based on the rules of our kind, I had no right to lead. I was a beta. By rights, the next Head Alpha was either the alpha child of the last partnership of Alpha and Luna, or their closest ally and friend. And yet my mother had made the pass of power extremely clear. She wanted me to have some control over our future. 

It took a long time for things to sort themselves out, thanks to the rules we were all bent to follow. To my surprise, nobody wanted the role of leader enough to try and usurp me, and anyone who could've tried didn't have enough support to be properly followed. There was a fear that we'd all have to separate, into several packs, and I'd have to choose a new direction to follow. 

Eventually, however, life worked itself out. One especially clear night, a full moon rose, and we all shifted to make the most of the silvery light. The moment I switched from one form to another, my closest friends pointed out a change in the colour of my eyes: from the deep amber of a beta, to the startling silver of a Luna. 

The Moon herself had decided my fate for me, it seemed. 

From that point onwards, I took on the duties of Luna, alongside a group of alphas who acted as my advisors. I didn't want to. I never asked for any sort of power, but this time around it just jumped in my lap, and the Moon herself had made the decision for me. I had no real choice in the matter, and the pack were counting on me. So I did the only thing I could. My best. 

My friends became a lifeline in the year that followed, when I was walking the path on my own. Some of them were alphas, and so were automatically given the status of advisors when I asked them to take that role. Others were betas or omegas, mainly the mates of those alphas, who were added to that close circle, a week later.

They knew I needed them. 

There was my cousin, Kim Namjoon, an alpha I thought would end up as the leader. He was the son of my uncle, my father's brother, a well-respected alpha. I think at one point my uncle also thought he'd step up and become Head Alpha. But he never did, choosing instead to remain in the background, offering advice from a lower position than someone who was a beta merely a week or so before. 

His mate and husband, Kim Seokjin, a beta. He was assured, reassuring, confident in his own way, and he was a source of comfort and support for us all in the chaos that followed my mother's last words. He was one of the ones who first explicitly stated that I had his full support, though Namjoon spoke up only a moment later. The two of them have become more than just advisors or friends: they're like a newfound family for me. I couldn't ask for anything more from them. 

Then there was my childhood friend, Park Jimin. Nobody was surprised when he presented as an omega. He was short, sweet, with a temper that matched his height. He was affectionate, in a way that only he could be. In some sense of the word, he was my platonic soulmate. He still is. And I consider him one of my closest and most valuable advisors, for whatever that's worth. He always knows what to say to make sure my heart doesn't speak louder than my head. 

His mate, Jung Hoseok, presented as a beta when we were younger, but slowly took on the responsibility of an alpha as my mother's health declined. These days, he's an integral part of the leadership team, and I don't know what I'd do without his positive attitude, his bright smile, his creative suggestions that always seem to work. 

These days, the order of the pack seems normal, almost familiar. It doesn't seem weird to have a single beta as a Luna, instead of the typical Head Alpha and Luna pairing. Yes, other packs sometimes regard us with a little confusion and caution, but I honestly don't mind that too much. Sure, it can be a little isolating, but that's okay. 

There is a part of me that wishes I had a mate. It's been lonely, these last few years, leading alone. But I know the moon herself must have a plan for me, an understanding that I can't always rely on just myself in order to get everything done. She made her decision, and it is my job as Luna to follow her, to trust that everything will figure itself out in time. I don't know if I can believe that, but I have to try. 

I owe it to my pack, the people who kept me going when I wanted to stop, kept me together when I felt like I was crumbling into pieces. Nothing is ever made to be easy. Nothing ever will be, I know that, and I've learned to accept it. That's just a part of life now for me, for everyone. The loss of my parents still stings, years later, and I still don't fully understand why somebody else didn't get the role that I did. Why Namjoon wasn't selected as Head Alpha, with Seokjin beside him as Luna. After all, they make a brilliant team as they are. It would make sense. 

But one day, my fortunes seem to shift somehow.

It starts out normally. Namjoon and Seokjin head for work, whilst Hoseok and Jimin are in charge of maintaining the house whilst I sort through some basic paperwork. I've never loved the filing side of my role, but my mother made it clear to me early on that it was important, that a good leader never forces others to do the nasty jobs. I would never want any of my friends to have to do this, either, though they sometimes offer to take over so that I get a break. 

My friends and advisors are good people, after all. 

But on this particular day, I've just gotten settled in, and am beginning to go through our accounts and plan out our spending habits for the next month when there's a sharp knock at the door. 

"Were you expecting any deliveries today, Tae?" Hoseok asks quietly, beginning to head for the door. I frown, check through the reminders for the day, and then shake my head, getting up from my desk, gesturing for him to move away. 
"Stand back, Hoseok. Go find Chim, and make sure he's somewhere safe," I instruct, keeping one cautious eye on the door. A knock rings out again. "I'm on my way!" I call out, and then gesture again to an uncertain Hoseok, who nods a little and hurries out of sight, searching for his mate. 

Carefully, I step towards the door, and then open it slowly, only to see a desperate looking individual on the other side. Jet-black hair, blood running down the side of the face from a nasty-looking cut, damage to the neck and ears, and what looks like a black eye. The skin is pale, probably paler than normal thanks to shock and blood loss, and the person is dressed in ragged clothes that seem like they've bee cut up and damaged a lot. 

Without greeting my unexpected visitor, I turn around and carefully check the vicinity, searching for suspicious individuals. Anybody who might have a weapon, an agenda, anything. But the street is empty, so I focus my attention on the desperate person on my doorstep. "What happened to you?" I ask quietly, sympathetically. 

The person coughs, and then looks up. Through strands of black hair that's slick with sweat, I see almond-shaped brown eyes, the kind of brown that makes you want to drown in it, the kind of brown that reminds someone of warm winter nights and affection from the people you care about. "I just need somewhere to hide," they say, lowly, the melodic voice striking a chord deep within me for a moment. I raise an eyebrow. 

"Can I ask you to describe what you're hiding from? I don't want to bring danger to my family," I say simply, and the person winces a little. 
"Look, as long as they don't see me here, they won't bother you." They sigh, a deep ragged sound that seems a little painful to produce. "It's my...friends. They kicked me out of their group. I need somewhere to crash for an hour, nothing more, just to recover." 

I nod slightly, and open the door a little wider. "Come in," I say quietly. Halfway across the threshold, our visitor stumbles slightly, and I have to catch them on my arm. "Who did this to you?" I ask, as gently as I can. 

"Remember those friends I just mentioned?" they respond, and I nod a little, frowning in concern and glancing around the street one more time before shutting the front door. "They tend to show their displeasure through violence towards the person that pissed them off, and I guess I managed to do that." 

"What is your name?" 
"Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook." I nod a little. 
"I'm Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. You should be safe here, at least for now." I roll back my shoulders, and then glance back, hiding my face from Jungkook so that he can't see my eyes flash silver. 

Hoseok. We've got a hurt visitor we need to protect for a while. Find someone trained in first aid, and someone to watch the perimeter. He's pissed off someone, though I don't know whom yet. Keep your eyes open, and let me know if there are any issues. Can't tell if he's a wolf. 

In a moment, the message is received by the beta, who simply sends back a confirmation, and then cuts off contact, presumably finding what I asked him to. Whilst he sorts things out on my behalf, I help Jungkook to the sofa, and let him rest there for a moment. "It's not my place to question what happened to you, Jungkook, and so I won't. All I ask is that you offer the same courtesy and don't question us, in return," I tell him, firmly. 

He frowns for a moment, clearly baffled by my demand, and then he shrugs, hissing a little at the pain it causes. "Ah, shit." He then freezes. "Sorry." I don't react, and he relaxes a little. "That seems fair to me. I appreciate the help, I know it seems weird and like something you can't trust, but I honestly don't mean you any harm."

Seeming to feel a little safer, he now begins to look around the room. He's sat on the sofa in our living room, a little slumped from apparent exhaustion and pain, but I can sense something within him, perhaps a hidden strength, I cannot be certain. I've never been as good at reading people as my mother, or as Seokjin, and I wish I'd taken the time to learn the skill. Right now, it would be particularly useful, I think. 

A few seconds after I contacted Hoseok, I hear footsteps from above, descending the stairs, and then a member of the pack appears. Jisoo is one of my cousins, Namjoon's sister to be specific, and she's really sweet. In some ways, she's one of our best healers and support individuals, even though she's technically an alpha, and can handle her shit like the best of them. 

"I heard some commotion, is everything okay?" she asks, and then her eyes widen as she spots Jungkook, just lounging on the sofa. I send her a grateful smile. 
"We have a visitor," I state simply, gesturing towards Jungkook, who tries to wave and then winces at the pain. I then pretend to perk up, as if I've thought of something. "Oh, you're good at first aid. Do you think you'd be okay to take a look and see if there's anything you can do to help him." 

Jisoo grins, flicking long burghundy hair out of her face, nodding. "Of course!" She looks over at Jungkook, who looks even more puzzled than before. "Is that okay with you?" she checks, and when he nods uncertainly she hurries over. "Tae, can you get him a glass of water and my first aid kit, please?" 

Relieved to not have to leave a stranger completely alone in the pack house, I nod in understanding. "Will do. Thanks for coming down to check on everything." She just smiles, nodding in understanding before turning to her unexpected patient. As I leave the room, I hear her asking which parts hurt, and what he thinks may be most damaged. 

She knows her shit, which is probably why Hoseok sent her down to help. 

I grab the stuff she's asked for, and run into Hoseok on the way back. "Thanks for getting Jisoo, I didn't want any of the omegas over there, I don't know if he's one of us or not," I murmur quietly to him on the way past, and he nods in understanding. 
"I figured as much. Hopefully she's able to help, and we don't face any trouble. From packs or humans." 

I nod in agreement, rushing back to the living room to see Jisoo talking gently to a slightly dazed Jungkook. Her eyes light up when I appear with the kit and the water, and she gestures to a nearby table. I set both items over there, and then glance over at her. "Anything else I can do to help?" 

She shakes her head. Just stay nearby, just in case, she requests, through our mental pack link, and I nod slightly, imperceptibly, so that she knows I won't leave her totally alone. I find a place to sit, as Jisoo slowly begins to work her way through Jungkook's wounds, dabbing away the blood and strapping up his wounds. 

Behind the injury, Jungkook seems remarkably strong, despite his outward appearance. From my limited view, he seems to have abs at the very least, and when his arms clench I can see the muscles beginning to appear. I try not to focus on that, instead choosing to hand Jisoo what she needs and support her in any way I can, keeping one ear open towards the door. 

Sure enough, about twenty minutes later, I hear another knock, this one much more aggressive. Jungkook jolts immediately, and then lets out a yelp of pain, and Jisoo chides him under her breath. We share a look, and then her eyes flash bright red. "Get him out of this room, and hide the blood with the cushion," I tell her firmly, and she nods in understanding. 

"This is gonna hurt, mate," she mumbles in warning, and then she grabs him under the armpits and physically lifts him up into the air, beginning to carry him into the corridor. "I'm gonna bring you into the kitchen for now, just in case." 

Much to my surprise, Jungkook's face screws up in pain, but he forces back the sounds of agony, letting Jisoo move him out of the line of sight as I quickly rearrange the cushions so the blood isn't visible anymore. Once everything is sorted, I quickly connect with Hoseok. Get the alphas, and any strong betas. We may have to protect the house. Some to the front, some to the back. We cannot afford to ignore any possibilities here. 

I don't wait for a response, cutting the contact myself and hurrying to the door, taking a deep breath before slowly opening it. On the other side, I spot three young-looking men, all with a very predictable aggression in their eyes. "Took you long enough, motherfucker," one of them grumbles, before he is elbowed in the side by one of his companions. 

"Hello?" I greet them, raising an unimpressed eyebrow, as if I'm not bothered by their presence in the slightest. "Can I help you?" 
"We're looking for someone," the third guy responds, and I already hate him from his voice. I know it's not really fair to judge someone on things they can't change, but my god, he sounds annoying. It's got a certain reediness to it that's uncomfortable and grating on the ears. "Kind of weedy guy, black hair, pale as fuck, looks a little...hurt." 

"I haven't seen anyone by that description," I return, half telling the truth. Jungkook does have black hair, looks hurt, and is pale, but he is certainly not weedy. "Why would he be hurt?" I add on, faking concern, as frustrated disappointment crosses over their faces in turn. 
"Oh, he got beat up by some random guys," the second guy says dismissmively, looking a little uncomfortable. "We didn't see the whole thing, but when we got there he was gone. We just wanna make sure he's okay." 

I nod in understanding. "I see. Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I can't help you. I hope that guy is okay, though. Never fun to be beaten up, is it?" 

The three of them narrow their eyes at me, but don't seem to catch the slightly ironic tone I'm using, choosing instead to nod in agreement and start to back away. There's a moment where I see them pause, as if they doubt my story, but then they continue on their journey away from us, much to my relief. 

I don't have the energy for a fight today. 

I close the door slowly, carefully, locking it from the inside before turning around to focus back on the inhabitants of the house. They'll be listening for something, I think, I comment to Jisoo, as I move through the living room. We need to move Jungkook upstairs to keep him safe. 

She doesn't respond, not verbally, but I can sense her agreement and understanding. There's the faint sound of footsteps as she begins to bring her patient up the stairs, avoiding the rooms where the omegas are, just in case. Hoseok appears downstairs, standing beside me for a moment and then offering a reassuring smile. "I'm sure everything will be fine, Tae. You handled that pretty well, and they have no real reason to come back-" 

Just as he speaks, there's another knock, even louder than before, and I raise an eyebrow at him. "Oh really?" I respond, a little dryly, and then sigh, as yet another knock reverberates through the front door. "Is everyone placed properly?" He nods. "Good. Keep your eyes open and protect our vulnerable. We cannot risk anything here." 

He nods again, disappearing into another room to get things sorted on my behalf, as I return to the door, a little annoyed. What right do these individuals have, to come here and try and break my door in? To try and hurt a random guy, for no clear reason? To just be aggressive in general? Even if they are wolves like us, there's no need for violence. 

I open the door, and tilt my head, allowing my frustration to play out on my face as I see the same guys from before. "Back so soon? Did you find him?" I start, keeping my tone as polite as I can, and one of them scowls at me. 
"We know you're hiding him," he states, "we know he's there. Give him to us, and we will have no further issues." 

"And why do you want him so bad?" I retort, holding my head up high. "What gives you the right to demand such things of a stranger, and what indicates that I have anything to do with this person you're looking for?"
"Look, we ain't stupid. We know he's there. Just shove him out here, and forget about all of this, alright." 

I raise a eyebrow, leaning against the door. "I'm afraid I can't do that, sir. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." One of them snarls at me. 
"We won't leave without him." I tilt my head again, more than a little annoyed. 
"Oh, I think you will, sir. I think you'll back off right about now, or you'll find yourself dealing with more than you can handle. Am I understood?" 

My voice is lower than before, my father's training in intimidation running through my head as I stand there, pretending not to be bothered and yet still furious. One of the guys takes a step back, and I regard all three with a frustrated look. "I said, am I understood?" 

One of them growls, out of nowhere, his eyes flashing bright red, but I force myself to maintain the same composure, the same calmness. "There's no need for that, sir. No need at all," I return. "Now I must insist, you need to leave." 
"We told you, we ain't leaving without him. You're going to give him up, right about now?" 

"I don't think I will, sir," I retort, my own eyes flashing silver for a moment in warning. "You don't want to annoy us." 
"Well you don't want to-" 
Hoseok, now. 

There's a growl from behind me, low and menacing, as another of the alphas currently in the house crawls from beside me, in wolf form. This great canine figure, with shaggy grey fur and bright red eyes, steps forward to stand beside me, snarling. My expression doesn't change. "I will not repeat myself again. You need to leave." 

A moment of silence passes, as the alpha beside me steps threateningly towards the three individuals on the doorstep, then one of them snarls in response, his eyes flashing red. "It would not do to shift in public," I caution, raising an eyebrow at him. "But you are not welcome in my home. So you can either show the humans on this street what you really are, or you can learn to control yourself. The choice is yours." 

The three of them look around at the rest of the houses on this street, at the few neighbours currently outside. "I don't think they'd notice," the second guy retorts, looking a little smug, and I just shrug at him. 
"If you wish to take the risk, sir, I won't stop you. I think you should just give it some thought, before you bend to your base impulses, that's all." 

For a few seconds, I'm just staring down three pissed-off alphas, with a pissed-off alpha as my backup. For a few heartbeats, I find myself wondering if I've pushed things too far, and placed my own pack in danger for the sake of a stranger, who may not even be a wolf like us. For a single moment in time, the doubts flash through my head, and then my mother's face seems to flash in front of me.

Follow your heart, Tae. If you need to protect someone, the pack will stand with you, no matter what

She knew best then. Even in death, I'm willing to believe that, even if it seems insane. 

Then one of the guys turns around, as if to leave. I don't drop my guard, not trusting the action, something in my gut twisting uncomfortably at the idea that it would be that easy to turn alphas away. And I'm right to be suspicious. There's a flash, and my hand flies up, over my face. I find myself holding a raging wolf at bay, by the throat. 

The alpha on my side growls again, the sound growing in intensity to almost a roar, and then some of the others appear: I recognise Hoseok's wolf among them, a deep brown canine with bright yellow eyes, much like mine before I became Luna. 

"You do not want to annoy us." I mutter through gritted teeth, as the wolf in my hand struggles and kicks against the grip. "You will regret it." I twist my wrist, as quickly as I can, and there's an audible snap as the newly limp canine falls to the floor, into a slump right over the threshold. I roll my eyes, kicking it back so that it's not halfway into the house. 

It's not dead, even though it seems that way. It's merely unconscious, though I know it'll have a really shitty headache for the next two weeks or so. 

No Luna is defenceless, and I am no exception to that rule. My mother wasn't either, and she would not be pleased if she thought I was taking anyone's shit lying down. It seems overly dramatic, I know, but I don't really give two shits. It may be over-the-top to knock someone out for threatening my pack, but they're my family. The people I swore to protect. The people I promised never to abandon. 

I'd be an awful Luna if I didn't do everything I could to make sure they were safe, after all.

"Don't make me repeat myself," I state calmly, looking over them all again, allowing the silver colour of my eyes to bleed through the usual brown. "Don't make a mistake you'll regret, strangers. We are more than you can handle, and you know it. Give up, and go home." One of the guys opens his mouth, as if to respond, and I raise an eyebrow. "That wasn't a fucking request. That was an order. Get the fuck away from my property and my pack." 

They hesitate, and Hoseok growls. A moment later, they're reaching for their fallen friend, and running in the opposite direction, carrying a limp wolf on their shoulders. I take a deep breath, let it go, and then shut the door once more, locking it just to be safe. I turn around to face the pack, the alphas, the betas, all people I trust with my life. 

I look around at them all, as they slowly shift back to human form. "Board up the front door. And the back door. Have someone on watch at all times. I doubt that I've scared them off forever, and I may have just made it personal. Keep your guard up, and never sleep on duty. Have at least one person in wolf form at all times. Any sign of trouble, take the omegas into safety but do not leave them unguarded. Am I understood?" 

All of them nod immediately, sending grateful smiles my way. Hoseok steps forward, running his hand through his hair as the others begin to head off in various directions to follow my instructions. "Our visitor is a wolf too, an alpha," he reports, as calmly as he can. I raise an eyebrow. 
"Dangerous?" 

He shakes his head. "No, not that we can tell, anyway. He just seems happy to be safe, to be honest, though he hasn't explained himself yet. I don't really know what his deal is, and I'm not sure if we'll ever know. He was clearly beaten up, but I don't know if he was just overwhelmed by numbers. He could be stronger than either of us, or any of the alphas." 

I sigh, bite my lip, and then look over at the front door, which is beginning to be boarded up. We can take these precautions away when we need to leave, or come back, and it will make life a little more complex for a while. But I want to be as safe as possible, and my pack don't seem to be questioning my logic on that, which makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing. 

"I think I need to have a chat with him about what he can do for us, what we need to do going forward. I don't want to risk our pack, but I think we're in danger now no matter what we try to do. It may have been a mistake to let him in the house. I don't know what he did to be the target of such aggression, but I think I need to make sure he really is safe. I can't let anyone get hurt." 

"He seems to be healing," Hoseok adds, and I nod again, my hand going up to scratch the back of my neck before I realise and stop myself. "Do you want to talk to him now?" 
"I think the sooner the better, but I don't want him causing himself more pain than is necessary. If he's well enough to come and have a chat, then I think it's a good idea to do so. If he's not, my curiosity can wait. Just make sure he's watched, I think." 

Hoseok nods, and then his eyes flash yellow. He pauses, his head slightly tilted, and then the glow fades back down again. "He's on his way. Jisoo says he's well enough to talk, but she's going to help him down the stairs just in case. She doesn't want him falling down if he passes out." 

I nod, returning to the sofa and rearranging the pillows once more, wincing at the bloodstains that still remain there. That was expensive, and it's going to be way too much work to get rid of those marks, I can already tell. Jimin won't be pleased with me, either.

Hopefully he'll forgive me once everything is explained. 

Jungkook appears a few minutes later, helped down the stairs by a worried-looking Jisoo, who meets my eyes. Her eyes flash a familiar red, and then her low voice is heard in my head: he's good to talk, but don't stress him out too much. I'm worried about his inner wellbeing. I think he'll need to see Seokjin when he gets back from work. 

Thank you, Jisoo. I appreciate it. She flashes a wolfish smile my direction, nodding slightly, and then backs away into shadow, moving away to sort out whatever she needs to deal with. I don't question her, focusing my attention on Jungkook as he gingerly makes his way towards the sofa. 

"You wanted to talk to me?" he starts, cracking a pained smile. I watch him for a few seconds, watch the way his face contracts in pain when he chuckles a little at himself, when he shifts to try and be more comfortable. It's clear that he's struggling, and for a moment I feel a little bad before I steel myself and focus on what I need to know. 

"You're an alpha, correct?" His eyes widen, and he seems to panic for a second before he nods in confirmation, seeming to realise that he's not talking to an ordinary human. "Did those intruders come from your pack?" 
"They were," he says lowly, his voice grating a little. Then he sighs, his face grimacing a little at the pain of moving his ribs so much. "Well, they used to be. They kicked me out of the pack." My eyes widen in surprise. 
"You're a rogue, then?" 

He winces at the term, and then nods reluctantly. "Yeah, I'm a rogue, but not by choice, trust me."
"What did you do?" I ask a little urgently. His eyes drift a little away from my gaze, and I sigh. "Look, I'm not going to kick you out for being a rogue, you know. But I have a responsibility in this pack, as Luna, to protect my family. And I don't expect to learn your entire backstory, I'm no fool. I just want to have a vague idea of what happened, so I can better figure out how we can help you here." 

He nods a little, and then lets out a groan of pain. "I should stop moving," he murmurs to himself, before his focus returns to me. "Sorry. I should start explaining." There's a pause, and then he takes a deep breath. "I was kicked out because my fellow alphas thought I was a threat to them, believed I would try and take their mates because I hadn't found my own. And so they came together, without my knowledge, and spoke to the Head Alpha. He didn't like me anyway, so I was kicked out without much fight." 

I nod a little, sympathetic. "I see. And what did those alphas' mates think, if I may ask?" He makes to shrug, and then catches himself just in time. 
"I don't really know. I never really spoke with them much, but I tried to keep them safe whenever I could. I wanted to make sure they weren't hurt by rogues, or anything like that, typical alpha responsibilities, and they seemed to appreciate that. I didn't pay more attention to them than I was supposed to, but I didn't ignore them, and maybe that's what pissed off their alphas." 

"So you spoke to their mates, and that was enough for you to be removed from the pack?" I check, quietly.
"Exactly. I think it's because I haven't found my mate yet, but I wasn't interested in any of their mates anyway. Why would I want to be with someone that's already mated to someone else, who's already found their perfect match? Why would I want to break up a couple simply for my own needs? What would be the logic behind that?" 

"It's probably what they would do, and so they assumed you were the same, but it's becoming apparent that you're not, Jungkook." I think for a moment, looking him over again. "Our pack is bigger than the individuals you saw today. We have a few other alphas and betas, and you didn't see the omegas because I wanted them to be kept safe. A precaution, one I'm sure you can understand." 
"Of course, I would have done the same." 

I nod a little. "You may be wondering where the Head Alpha is, as well."
"I mean...yeah, but you seem perfectly comfortable leading on your own when they're not here, and you've agreed to help me. I don't see the point in questioning your methods when you're possibly saving my life." I allow myself a little smile at that. 

"That's a fair point, Jungkook. But I would like to tell you this now, so you don't feel lied to: my pack doesn't have a Head Alpha, just a Luna. I won't go into all the details with you here and now, I feel like that would be way too much information to offer up out of nowhere. All you need to know is that the moon herself decided I was right for the position, that she gave me the silver eyes and everything, and our pack came to an agreement amongst ourselves." 

His eyes widen in surprise, and then he forces on a polite expression, with considerable effort. "I'm sorry that you have to lead alone, Taehyung, but you seem to be doing an excellent job, so I won't ask for an explanation of your methods or for proof of your position. I think I noticed your eyes go silver earlier, and that's proof enough for me." 

He shifts again, forcing himself to ignore the pain, meeting my eyes once more. "And while we're talking, I'd like to thank you again for taking me in. I know it can seem dangerous to bring in a strange alpha, but I'm really grateful you decided to do so. I don't expect anything from you. No gifts, no sanctuary. I don't want you to put your pack at risk on my behalf, for some rogue you barely know. It doesn't seem fair." 

"Are you suggesting we shove you out of the house now, Jungkook?" I return. His eyes widen in panic for a moment. 
"No, of course not, though I wouldn't blame you for doing so. I just mean that I won't outstay my welcome. I'd like to have at least a few hours to recover, if that's okay, but I don't want to push my luck or cause any danger for you guys. Those alphas are my problem, and I doubt you want an extra risk." 

"Something tells me that they'll be back, regardless," I return, a little dryly. I tilt my head, look him over for a moment. "You can stay here for tonight. Rest. In the morning, once you feel better, with your crazy alpha healing or whatever the hell it is, we can talk about your future." I think for a moment, looking him over again. "I need to have a few discussions with the pack first." 

"Of course, thank you so much for your kindness," he says quickly, and I just shrug in response. 
"It was the only decision I could make. I don't like leaving people to suffer, and you didn't seem too dangerous on first glance. I could, of course, be wrong. But I won't be leaving you totally alone and unwatched. You can use the bathroom alone, of course, I'm not that much of a control freak. But you will be guarded, for your own safety and for ours. I hope you can understand." 

I sigh, standing up. "It's not about the fact that you're a rogue, though that does make me cautious too. Any strangers who come here are regarded with suspicion. We are a strong pack, but that doesn't mean that we can let down our guard when a possible Trojan horse arrives within our city, if you get the analogy." 

"That makes perfect sense, Taehyung. I know I'm lucky to be here, and to be so welcomed by you and your pack." He stands up too, as Jisoo comes back out of the shadows to help him. "Thank you, again. I really do appreciate it." I nod, looking over at Jisoo. 

"Take him to the guest room, Jisoo. Make sure he's always guarded, but let him have his privacy if he needs to do anything that requires privacy. Remove any sharp objects from the room, but he will stay here tonight, unless anyone has any major objections." 
"I'll get that sorted for you, Tae," she promises, inclining her head and beginning to lead a now slightly-dazed Jungkook away. 
"Thank you." 

I make contact with Hoseok again, bring him and some other advisors into the living room. For the next hour, we quietly talk about Jungkook's arrival, the members of his old pack that came to collect him, and the information I've learned about Jungkook's situation. It takes us a while to figure out whether or not to trust his story, and exactly what to do about it, but we eventually find ourselves reaching some form of agreement. 

By the late evening, Namjoon and Seokjin have returned, and Hoseok removes some of the boards that have been placed against the door, so that they can phsyically get through the door. They're a little bemused by everything, but once they hear about our new guest, Seokjin hurries up to offer Jisoo some first aid support and take over her duty. Namjoon sits with us, and we fill him in on the situation, ask him for his opinion. 

Much to my relief, he agrees with us. 

Slowly, tentatively, the omegas emerge from their hiding places, and begin to relax in the house again. A member of the pack starts to make dinner, someone joins them in the kitchen to help out, and we slowly convene around the dining table to eat. Jungkook is given a portion of food too, and seems a little surprised for some reason that he's being included in the pack meal, until I remind him that he can hardly heal if he isn't given anything to eat. Then he just nods gratefully, the movement already seeming a lot less painful. 

When we're finished, there's a race back to the kitchen with the different implements, and the pack members who cooked are allowed to skip the duty of clearing everything back up. After all, they've already contributed to the evening's chores, and so don't need to do more. Once everything is sorted, which takes barely any time at all because we're all working together, the entire pack relaxes once more. 

Eventually, everyone finds their way to their respective bedrooms. Alphas who've promised to sleep in shifts in order to ensure someone is always up to guard Jungkook, and the two main entrances, send pained smiles to each other, and then a grateful smile to me. I'm taking the middle shift, from midnight to four in the morning, so my sleep pattern will end up a little fucked, but I don't really care. 

As my mother would say, a good leader gives himself the worst jobs and the others the best jobs. It's just part of my role, and I can't shirk from that just because I'm tired. Maybe if I was actually ill, I'd avoid it, and my pack members wouldn't let me take on the watch for the night if that were the case anyway. 

They're incredible, in how supportive they are, and I'll always be grateful for them. Now, and forever. 

But morning comes without too much issue, even though there's a part of me that doesn't want to get up when my alarm goes off at midnight for my shift of watch. By the time dawn comes around, however, I feel a lot better rested, and more willing to tackle the day ahead, explaining to Jungkook what his new role is and what he needs to do in order to prove himself here. 

He takes it better than I expected, which is nice. 

Essentially, he's a new member of the pack, and is welcome to use our house as a place to stay for that time, but we won't properly initiate him for the first week or so. We're testing out what his role can be, and each day he'll be asked to do different things, any jobs he may have allowing for that. 

I don't want him to lose his income, after all, even though a part of everyone's pay goes to the pack funds. They keep most of it for themselves, and it's my job to make sure that we all have enough to eat and spend on ourselves at the same time. It can be tough, but it's worth it, if it keeps us all fair and happy. Jungkook won't be asked to contribute to the pack's finances until after he's a full member, otherwise it wouldn't be fair. 

After Jungkook's week has been vaguely planned out, I find my way to my own office, and get through some paperwork. It seems dumb, that I always have something do, always some stupid paperwork I have to get through, but it's just part of what I have to do. There's always something that needs to be sorted, whether it's the pack account or the bills or organising events and holidays. Sometimes, it's as simple as drawing up a rota for who's in charge of different chores, and making sure that the less frequent ones are done on time. It can even be a record of when the full moon is, so that we all know when it's time to take a good run. 

I like to pretend I do a lot more than I really do, sometimes, just because it's nice to feel like I'm being useful, like I'm doing the right thing. There are days, though, where I find myself scrolling through my phone instead of focusing on my duties, and I end up having to rush through the rest of my work, or having to catch up after dinner when everyone else is watching a film. It's stupid, really, I know, and some things can wait. 

There's just a part of me that wants to believe I'm doing what's necessary, what's right. I'm still not really sure if I'm the right one to lead this pack, if the moon made a mistake. But she hasn't changed her mind in the last few years, so I simply have to trust her judgement. There are moments where I find myself staring up at the sky, wondering whether she'll offer an explanation for her decision, descend like she's said to do in mythology and share her wisdom with me in some ethereal form or something dumb like that. 

But of course, she never does, because that's not how she works. It's the moon, not some voodoo magic or ghost bullshit. She never explains herself, she just does what she wants, and I never truly understand the point of that. 

But it's hardly my place to question the moon herself. 

Jungkook's 'test' week moves quicker than I anticipated, but he seems to fit well with the rest of the pack. When I speak to the omegas about him, check that they're comfortable with him staying, they seem perfectly fine, willing to let the test run its course. I would never want them to feel like they have no choice in the matter after all. They're a part of the pack too, and they need to feel able to speak up if they need something. 

At the very end of this week, I've scheduled in a pack run, to align with the full moon, and Jungkook is invited to come with. He hasn't shifted form once since he arrived, as he's been healing, and then he's been too busy to worry about such things. Shifting and having a run is fun, but when you have loads to do, you can't waste time on an hour running through the wilderness. 

That's one of the reasons I always like us to run, all together, during the night of the full moon. Everyone is together, so they're able to protect each other, and enjoy a small taste of the freedom that comes with a night run. It's a lot of fun, and sometimes I can't enjoy it as much as the others because I have to make sure that everyone feels safe. But I honestly don't mind. The omegas in particular look forward to the night runs, though they're welcome to run with an alpha at any other time if they feel the need to. 

For them, it must just be more fun when everyone runs together, because everyone can watch over them. It's safer, it's a community activity, and it lets out any of the anger of the month, which is important sometimes. We all need a moment to let go, and allow ourselves to be whatever we need to be. It's nice to have that kind of release, and many of us don't get that at any other time. 

On the night of the run, however, Jungkook is eager to join in. He admits to missing his wolf form, that he tends to shift more often, but he didn't want to risk causing further issues with his injuries, a caution I respect. It takes restraint and self-awareness to be that careful about shifting, and restraint is good in an alpha. 

Over the period of the week, I've kept him close. I like to think it's because I want to watch over his progress and make sure he's doing all the right things, but the truth is that I'm beginning to feel a certain kinship with him. I'm not sure if there's more meaning behind it, which may explain my first reaction to him when he arrived at our doorstep. I can't really tell yet, and I can't let myself get distracted. 

Even if there is more at play here, my focus is my pack, not my own personal interests. It doesn't matter what I want, or how much I want to be able to fall in love. My priority are the people I need to protect, and nothing can come between me and my duty. I can't risk that, losing any of them. If Jungkook becomes one of them, that's fine. But I cannot let myself make such decisions based on instinct alone. The human part of me needs to take precedent in this. The logical side, not the emotional side. 

But when we all line up, ready to go, ready to shift, there's a moment where the world seems to pause. I look over at him, check on his wellbeing, and there's a few seconds of eye contact. Usually, shifting only takes a moment, so it's odd to suddenly have it take a lot longer. But when I find myself in my wolf form, I realise that everything is normal. That time just slowed down for me, for no apparent reason. 

Then I look over at Jungkook, and I understand. 

He's a lot bigger than I expected, a big black wolf with a white dorsal stripe down the centre of his spine. His eyes glow bright red in the fading light of dusk, and there's a moment where I feel like I'm about to explode, because now I know. Now I get it, even though I hate the fact that I'm about to have to ignore every base instinct I have. I cannot risk anything, even for him. 

But he's the Head Alpha I've been searching for, this whole time, and there's a part of me that feels like I've been punched. That feels like the moon is just being cruel, like she knows what she's doing to me. Like she doesn't see the pain I'm in, doesn't realise how much I have to sacrifice for my pack. I will reject him if I have to, for my pack. 

He doesn't seem to notice, much to my relief, though there's a moment during which I catch Jimin looking over at me a little oddly, as if he can sense the confusion and chaos deep within my mind, the fighting of logic and instinct that's threatening to tear me apart from the inside. That's forcing me to reconsider everything I ever understood about my role as Luna, as a beta, as a werewolf.

Why does it have to be him? 

But I force myself to focus on the right things, the determination to be the Luna I have to be for my pack. I am a leader first, someone who must put his pack members first, and I cannot risk anything. If Jungkook is dangerous, or if anyone feels uncomfortable around him, I can't let him join our pack just because he's my mate. I can't be that selfish. After everything the others have sacrificed on my behalf, I can't do that to them. I can't just ignore all that effort, all that support, and throw it away to fall in love. 

If my mother taught me anything, it's that a leader cannot be selfish, cannot focus on their own needs and desires above the needs of their people. They're allowed to eat, allowed to survive, of course, but they have to learn to balance all of that against the needs of the people they care for and protect. This pack has been my charge for this long. I can't afford to let them down now. 

I look up, at the moon, busy shimmering away in a clear night sky. The pale disc stares back down at me, this beautiful silver glow that seems to wink at me, seems to take joy from my confusion and concern. The moon has never been cruel to me, but maybe she's decided I've fucked up this time around, and that's why she wants to do this to me. Maybe that's why I have been granted a mate that I may not ever have. 

I don't know, and I'm not sure if I'll ever know. 

But as the moon rises in the sky, the pack assembles around me, waiting for the call to run. Waiting for that single taste of freedom we always get on nights like these. I can't leave them waiting just because I'm freaking out over Jungkook, that wouldn't be fair on them in the slightest. I know that. 

And so I lower my gaze to focus on them, look over the pack that have become my family, my support group, everything I've ever been grateful for in love. My gaze avoids Jungkook entirely, trying to stop myself from breaking out into my thoughts again, though I'm not sure if he notices that. I wouldn't care, either way. I can't let myself care. 

Let's go, I call out through the pack link, and the entire group begins to move, tearing through the forest we leave near. It's a warm night, even for autumn, and the leaves on the trees haven't started to fall yet. The usual gold, orange and red is painted all in silver, a black and white painting created out of the woods, out of the natural world we run to when we long to answer to the most animal parts of ourselves. The stars seem brighter than usual tonight, flashing past as I speed up, trying to run fast enough that my thoughts disappear, that I don't have to care about any of that shit right now. 

I can't escape from it forever, I know that more than most. But I just don't want to think about it when I should be able to just enjoy the wind on my face, thrill in the moment of nothingness, pure exhilaration that comes from running at full speed through the woods. In a sense, there's something powerful about it, even though I couldn't possibly explain why. 

But eventually, as good things always do, the night comes to an end. We run in a great circle, so that we can find our way back to our house before it gets too late. There's a faint band of light beginning to show on the very edge of the horizon by the time we make it to the front door, and head in before our neighbours spot me shifting to open the door and let us all in. 

Much to my relief, the house is undamaged, unbothered, which comes as a surprise given everything that happened a week ago. I'm still waiting for those alphas to come back and try and attack us. Day by day, though, I start to let myself believe that everything will be okay. That nobody will get hurt, though I have nothing to prove this with. Maybe it's just hope, nothing more. 

But once we get into the house, and everyone's shifted, I get everyone to sit in a circle in the living room. There's a lot of us, in total, of course, so it's a bit of a squeeze, but we manage it. Jungkook sits awkwardly in the centre, looking a little nervous as I begin to explain why I've stopped everyone from just going to bed. 

We need to decide whether or not he should stay, and what we can do for him going forward. He is still a rogue, after all, and I need to make sure that the omegas feel safe before I force them to deal with a new alpha in the house. I don't want them to feel uncomfortable in the slightest, so I have to make sure everything is safe for them before I do anything else. 

But as we begin to discuss it, the worry drops away from me. The entire pack seems perfectly comfortable with his presence, happy to let him join our large family, happy to consider him one of us now that they've had the opportunity to try such a thing for a week. When the meeting ends, and everyone drifts away to head to bed, Jungkook approaches me. 

"You do feel it too, don't you? Am I just making this up?" he asks quietly. I raise an eyebrow at him. 
"Feel what?" His shoulders slump, and he sighs. 
"Nothing. Don't worry about it. I'm sorry I bothered you, it's nothing." 

"Kook, I know we're mates," I murmur, just as he begins to turn away, and he freezes completely. "But I have a duty to my pack first and foremost. I have wanted to have a Head Alpha for years, ever since I became Luna. I've wanted to share the weight of leadership with another person for a long time, and that's why I have advisors and we run things the way we do here. Because I have nobody to make decisions with. And I know now that the moon has brought us together." 

He spins back round, steps forward, eyes lighting up, and I shake my head, holding out a hand. "Don't think this changes things between us. You may have proved that you fit with the pack, but that doesn't mean that you can be Head Alpha out of nowhere. I have a responsibility, and I was willing to reject you if I had to in order to keep my pack safe. I didn't want to, and I think you're a good guy, but that doesn't matter. If anyone felt like you were a bad fit for us, you would be gone. That not my decision to make, not alone anyway." 

He nods in understanding, steps back again. "Right, sorry. I didn't even consider that, to be honest. I don't want leadership. I don't want to break what you've built. I don't want to claim you until you're ready, or demand anything of you at all. I just want you to give me a chance to get to know you at the very least, give me a chance to prove that I can be right for you. Even if it makes no sense at all." 

I tilt my head at him, a little surprised. "If you want the truth, Kook, you're already surprising me." He smiles a little at that. 
"Really?" 
"Most alphas want control first, and explanations later. It's nice to see the roles reverse a little bit, and to be respected as a Luna in my own right. I've seen other alphas try and win me over simply because they think they have what it takes to be Head Alpha. They don't, of course. It takes more than just a role assigned at birth to lead a pack. It takes effort, and it takes the ability to learn, and nobody had that." 

I look over him again, really look over him properly, and try to think about what it would be like to give all my hard work to him. To take the traditional submissive role of a Luna. But the idea is almost repulsive, and I shudder a little, focusing back on the present.

"If you want to reject me, you may. I won't stop you," I continue, as calmly as I can. "But I want you to know that you will not have a traditional Head Alpha role. I'm not hungry for power, but I refuse to sit back and give up all I've worked for, for someone else. I refuse to sacrifice everything I've built with this pack, the legacy my parents left behind. Not for you, or for anyone. Not for a near-stranger."

He sighs, runs a hand through his hair. "I don't expect you to, Tae. I know it's hard to believe, but I really do want you to be able to be yourself. I don't want to come in here and break what you've created. If I can help you out, and take away some of the weight on your shoulders, then I'll happily do that, but I would never want to ruin what you built just because of some longing for power." He smiles a little sheepishly. "You did save my life, remember. I can't exactly ruin your life in return. That wouldn't be fair." 

"That's true," I return, stepping a little closer and then backing away once more, cursing my instincts for being annoying. "Sorry, I didn't mean-" 
"It's okay." 
"So, let's say you're being tested again," I suggest, a little playfully, and he chuckles a little at that. 

"I think I'm cool with that," he responds, an amused expression crossing over his face for a moment. "I'm willing to try and prove myself for you. If that's what you need, I won't question it. I know it's hard to trust someone for a while, and there's a lot I need to prove, even if I've managed to prove I'm safe to stay here. At least for now."

We don't tell the other members of the pack, on Jungkook's request, but he makes it his mission to try and win me over, slowly but surely. And even from the beginning of these efforts, it's working. There's a sense of fondness and gratitude he always seems to have in his eyes when he greets me every morning, whenever I give him his duties for the day, whenever he heads into work. Whenever we're left alone for a moment. And it's hard to resist the urge to just let myself fall, let him claim me, even in the first few days of this new test. 

I don't know how he does it, I'll be honest, but I need to remember that he isn't infallible. I need to be aware of my responsibilities, even if the urge to just let him be my mate and forget about this test bullshit grows everyday. And after a while, I can tell that the pack have noticed something brewing between us, but I don't announce anything, refusing to admit defeat until things work out properly. Until he's finished proving himself as a suitable Head Alpha, a suitable mate for someone like me. 

The moon may have made a mistake, after all. Rejections do happen, and for a reason, and I don't want my heart broken by someone who simply wasn't right for me. And so I give him a chance, but I don't give him my heart. Not to begin with, anyway. He has to earn that, take his time with it. 

There's so much at stake still, so much to consider, and even though his old pack members don't come knocking, there's still a part of me that's scared they will, still a part of me that wonders if they'll ever try and hurt us for what we did to them. I never killed any of them, just defended our house and our safety, but I don't know if that excuse works in their eyes, as I don't understand how they work. I don't know if I ever will, in all honesty, but it doesn't matter. I can't focus on things like that. 

And then, without warning, my heart begins to fall too. I can't help it. I try and hold it back, control my own emotions for the sake of the pack, but he seems to fit so well with everyone. So much so that Namjoon suggests that he's added to the group of advisory alphas. And as he's now fully recovered from his injuries, he's more useful than ever. 

I know that he's partially working so hard so that I can see how much he cares. I'm not stupid. I can tell that he wants to be accepted as my mate, that he wants to impress me. But I don't see it as wrong. I don't blame him for that, because I'm doing the same to him, trying to be the best Luna I can be so that he can see the work I put into what I do. So he can understand who I am, even though my identity is made up of many things. Even though I am not just my role. 

A month passes before I address the issue of finding my mate with my pack, with the advisors. And Jungkook's in the room when I announce that I've found my mate, that he has been asked to prove himself before he is given any control over anything. That he is a member of the pack. They figure it out pretty quickly, unsurprisingly. 

After that meeting Jimin walks over and practically begs me to accept Jungkook, stating that he's the best chance we have at a proper Head Alpha. That he's comfortable for everyone, that we all care a lot for him already, so it makes sense to let him be what he's meant to be. That the moon made the right decision, and that he can already see me falling for Jungkook. 

And Jimin's right, of course. He always is when it comes to love, because of his experience with Hoseok. Because of what he's seen with everyone else.  He always seems to know what I need to hear too, which is a relief. It's hard to tell sometimes, if I'm going a little mad or not, but I'm alright with that. Jimin has the ability to remind me of what I need. He's good at telling me when I need to stop ignoring my own needs, even though sometimes I find myself ignoring his advice in the most stressful times. 

But this time, after some reflection, I think I'm going to go for it. I think it's time. 

It's taken over a month by this point, and I'm sure Jungkook thinks I've forgotten about my promise to give him answer. But I honestly haven't. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing first. To make sure that I wasn't going to fuck it up. That's all. 

After a meeting one day, with the my advisors/best friends, in the living room, I ask Jungkook to stay behind for a few minutes, just to talk. He jolts in surprise, looking a little nervous. , and I catch a knowing smile on Jimin's face as he loops his arm around Hoseok's. He practically drags the beta out of the room. I send him a grateful smile in response, and the omega simply beckons to Jin and Namjoon, and the other alphas and betas, getting them to leave as soon as possible. 

Jungkook looks around, avoiding my gaze for a moment, and then he sighs. "I guess you've made your decision, right?" he asks, tilting his head at me, and I smile a little, nodding a little. He sighs again, slumping down on the sofa. "I know it's hard to believe, but I have been trying my best. I know I haven't done enough to make you believe I'm worth your time, and I don't expect to be Head Alpha. I don't want to take anything away from you-" 

"Jungkook, breathe," I interrupt, and he pauses, stares up at me, his eyes wide and almost glossy with what looks like unshed tears. "It's okay. I'm not rejecting you. I don't know exactly how we're going to link things together and make things work, I'll be honest, but I'm willing to figure that out with you by my side. We can be mates. I'm accepting you." 

He freezes completely, almost like he's turned into a photograph or something, and I manage an amused smile, despite the strength of the emotions coursing through me as well. "What? Is it that surprising?" 

"I-" he takes a deep breath, and I see the beginnings of tears in his eyes. "Thank you, Tae. Thank you so much." He stands up, looks at me, really looks at me for the first time since we spoke about testing him, and there's a fondness deep within them that strikes at my heart, strings a chord within my being. "I know it's hard to believe, but I really do care a lot for you, and I want to show you that. I want you to feel like you're not alone, but like you're able to rule with someone by your side. I want you to feel like you're lifted up, not abandoned when you need someone the most." 

I take a deep breath, and wipe away the dampness on my own cheeks, feeling a little embarrassed to be this emotional. My chest feels like it's going to burst, and there's something else building within me, something like joy or relief or both melded into one. "I know, Kook. I understand. And I want you by my side. I want you to be my right hand man, the Head Alpha this pack really needs." 

"It already has a perfect Luna," he responds, and I shrug, a little bashful. 
"I do my best," I return, stepping a little closer to him. He stands up, somehow knowing what I want him to do without me even asking him. "So...do you accept me? Will you be the Head Alpha of this pack? Will you take on that responsibility for me, with me?" 

He tilts his head at me. "I won't take your place, Tae, but I will be your mate. If you need me to take the title of Head Alpha, I will, but I refuse to take away from what you've built. It's kind of you to offer, and I understand how difficult it is for you to say that. This pack doesn't need a Head Alpha, when the leader it requires already exists. We can keep the advisors, everything you've started. We can just admit that we're mates, and that we're meant for each other, destined by the moon herself."

I nod, stepping closer to him and placing a hand on his face, feeling the warmth of his emotions in the tears on his cheeks. "I think I can live with that," I murmur, and his smile just widens, revealing adorable bunny teeth, little dimples that shift under my palm. 
"That's good, because that's all I ever wanted to hear," he returns. 

For a moment, a sort of gravity seems to exist between us, some invisible pull that drags me forward, on instinct, allows me to brush our lips together. But when I move away, he just lets out a low, relieved chuckle, following to kiss me properly. 

That same warmth and joy that's flowing through me seems to multiply sevenfold, the entire world shifting from silver to gold to multicolour once more. There's something, a deep sense of relief, a deep sense of joy, that comes not just from us but from another being, another mind, maybe the moon herself, I wouldn't know. 

I don't think it really matters. 

When we pull away, his eyes have gone a deep red. "May I?" he asks, the very timbre of his voice lower than before. I just nod, and the smile returns, the fondness even stronger than before, the relief, everything seems so much clearer to me than before. And then I tilt my head to one side, give space for him to sink his teeth into my neck. 

The pain comes first, and then the joy takes over, and I know I've made the right decision. It's odd, having someone else's mind connected to and flowing around your own, but I already love it more than I can say. It's a privilege, in a way, to hear his thoughts, to recognise and feel his gratitude, burning through as well. 

And then he pulls away, takes a deep breath. "Would you do the honours of also blessing me with the contact of your mind, that mind I want to understand, and get to know for as long as I live?" he returns. My eyes widen for a moment at his theatrical wording, and then I see the intensity of his gaze, and I understand.

An alpha who's just claimed his mate will always be a little emotional, a little overexcited. It's in their nature. And I'm hardly one to deny him right now. So I lean forward myself, placing my teeth over his neck, and biting down, finishing the connection between us. 

It seems a little fast, I know, but sometimes logic cannot define decisions. I have been cautious long enough, lonely long enough, and I deserve a chance to be happy. I deserve the opportunity to enjoy the presence of my mate, the person who will now be Head Alpha in all but action, who will allow me to do what I must for the sake of my pack. He won't try and take control, won't try to demand more power than he deserves.

He's exactly what I need, so why should I deny myself the chance to be happy, even given my own responsibilities within the pack? Why should I have to suffer for the sake of others when I can avoid that pain at no cost to the ones I love? 

Maybe the moon really does care for me, and my happiness. I know now, as I stand here with my mate and my Head Alpha in my arms, that she's made the right decision. 

How could I possibly argue otherwise, after all? 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

847K 43.1K 38
❝ 𝐀 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬. ❞ •𝐀𝐧 𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐦𝐚𝐭...
154K 7.1K 30
{Completed} Just some Taekook Oneshots~~ REQUESTS ARE CLOSED!! I don't take up any request of "sad endings, cheating, death, rape, abuse be it physi...
34.4K 700 32
cute ,wholesome and mature taekook stories 💜💚 Hope you guys like it !! enjoyy...😚 *Rankings* #1 taekookoneshot
267K 6K 46
(ON HOLD nothing just some taekook 18+ smut stories.. (not all some are normal) new chapter with different stories..it's like one shot... all will be...