Clato : Till forever falls ap...

By dontlo0katmyaccount

A clato fan fiction from the world of the hunger games, Brutal Bloody Cato and the girl with the knives find... More

Intro
Chapter 2 - the reaping
Chapter 3 - justice building/ boarding the train
Chapter 4 - last day on the train
Chapter 5- re-make centre /parade
Chapter 6 - the tribute centre
Chapter 7 - training
Chapter 8 - the results
Chapter 9 - the telvised interveiws
Chapter 10- night before/entering the games
Chapter 11 - blood bath
Chapter 12 - building the tower
Chapter 13 - fire
Chapter 14 - tracker jackers
Chapter 15- recovery
Chapter 16 - the hunt
Chapter 17 - after the explosion
Chapter 18 - Finding Marvel
Chapter 19 - annocement
Chapter 20 - annoucment 2
Chapter 21 - the feast๏ฟผ
Chapter 22 - shes alive boggywoggiewoggie
Chapter 23 - katniss and peeta
Chapter 24 - last day
Chapter 25 - mutts
Chapter 26- Prep for victory
Chapter 27 - snows mannor
Chapter 28 - the end
Hi :))

Chapter 1 - reaping day

1.3K 8 6
By dontlo0katmyaccount

I wake up with the sun seeping through the curtains and roll over sinking my head into the feathered pillow before the date hits me, today is the day of the reaping. A smile spreads across my lips at the thought.

I sit up, leaning against the wooden headboard of my bed. Then Leaning over to the window behind me to push the curtains all the way open, the sun is bright but only just setting over the mountain range. I throw the warm duvet to the side and open my bedroom door to look down the hallway and see my mother and father in the kitchen. the two are statuesque standing in the morning sun, my father fits his name, Ares, it was a popular trend in district two to name your kids after mythology , strong names for a strong district my mothers name was Mariam a name fit for a capital citizen.

Knowing it's the day of the reaping I want to get some time to myself before the event, I walk back to my room and put on my leather combat/training boots. the boots caress my feet perfectly I haven't got new shoes for years I havnt grown out of these and it would almost be sad to throw them out. I pull on simple trousers and a loose shirt and tie my long brown hair into a ponytail .

My stomach rumbles but I push the hunger away and climb out the window behind my bed (not wanting to confront my parents this early)  I land on a dusty path beneath me the fall wasn't long as we live in a modest bungalow, considering district 2 is one of the richest, deemed the pets of the capitol, we don't seem to be that rich. Brick dust clouds with every step. normally the masonry workers walk in gaggles to work spaces. But today the streets are bare and devoid of life because of the reaping, it's a public Holiday. There will be a party tonight to celebrate it. Entering the games is an honour. The reaping starts at exactly 2'o'clock people will prepare for it all morning.

Our house is a mile walk out from the local training academy, the path is well trodden from kids ages 8 and up flocking to it on assigned days, the academy stands tall a few story's high, guarded by a chain link fence and peace keepers in hut stations outside making sure weapons aren't stolen from the academy by particularly eager students.

I see a few kids walking through the gates, nowhere near as many as normal, especially on a Sunday where the centre was open to all. Sunday's there are no actual trainers you can practice freely, I know for sure that the two chosen volunteers will be here today, nobody is told who is selected untill they go to the stage, normally it's 16 to 18 year olds having been trained the longest time. I'm 15, I could have an opportunity next year, maybe, probably not, I wander in my thoughts of bringing victory as I walk through the academy gates.

As soon as I'm through the door I climb the stairs to the 3rd floor passing the locker room and weights gym, the third floor is where they keep the dummies and weapons. My favourite room. My sanctuary for knife throwing.

Many people in two who train here move on to become peace keepers. Only men work really though, women raise family's and bring the food, working in more medical professions like healers. men earn the keep. Often times you don't even see a lot of girls in the training centre and if you do they're the best of the best.

I'm not the best of the best, I used to be the fat kid, then I became ill, my mind became ill, I became the skinny kid I wasn't strong enough to do anything, the lack of nutrition stunted my growth so I'm 5'4 which is a good height, but people who enter the games have to be strong and well built. I feel I'm netheir . Becoming what the captiol expect you to be is hard but you can't talk ill of the capitol. It's dangerous. And why would you talk Bad of the captiol? they're practically hero's. I eat enough to fight and for people not to notice I'm weak. But I never want to be the fat kid again. However learning to hide and hold my tounge became easy I can seem deceitful and rude but it's ok because it's normal it's district 2. You need to be feisty so people don't instantly weed you out as week and make you the punch line of all their jokes.

When I walk into the wepons room I see Nesryn slashing at a wooden dummy with a sword. I smile and start walking towards her, we met in class when we were young the teacher sat her next to me and we soon became best friends.
"Hey kentwell" she breaths a smile forming on her lips
Nesryn often calls me by my second name. my name is Clove, it means to slice with a sharp object. So I guess my parents always wanted me to be a fighter.

"Hey Nesssie" I smirk

She raises an eyebrow at the nickname I gave her she never liked it much.

She motions to the sword handing it over to me. I'm not good with a sword. Well I'm good not great. And you need to be great at everything to enter the games.

"I'm no good with a sword" I shrug as I walk over to her.

We sit at the edge of the room watching some people train. A kid throws around a mace fruitlessly with what I guess is a frustrated parent giving corrections, another boy a blonde haired one is throwing a spear down the range with precision. I'd seen him round school a few times. Surrounded by groups of people. I swear I've seen him somewhere else before but I can't quite recall. He was in the year above and girls don't share classes with boys. So how could I have known him more? I try to rack my brain for the answer but it comes up empty.

"The reapings today, I'm so excited" Ness states "imagine being in the games the glory, how it must feel to bring pride an-"

"Imagine living in victors villiage it must be amazing" I interrupt

"Just staying in the capitol for a week sounds -fabulous" she giggled the last part in a refined captiol accent.

Living in the Capitol would be a dream, they're the richest of the rich, they have everything, everybody lives to serve them, and we're grateful for it. without the captiol we would have nothing, it's only the generosity of the captiol that lets us live. I look across at Nesryn she could be in the games maybe next year she was talented and looks like she'd fit in with the captiol she has a muscular build and is at least 5'7 . Her blonde hair falls neatly to her shoulders held back in a half bun at the moment. Her eyes are brown, like mine but any other eye colour is beyond rare, I envy her I always wanted to be in the games but the look is part of the selection I guess. I had long dark brown hair reaching to my waist, from years of rejecting my appearance beyond my body ,split ends are appearing. My face has freckles dotted around my nose making me look more of a child less intimidating. But I had mastered a mean snarl to help me scare people.

My mother almost made the cut to be in the games, my father never trained he was always going to work in masonry. I don't think they ever wanted a child, they wanted something they could mould into being a warrior, preferably a boy. I was not what they wanted, they watched me break under the standards and praised me for remoulding my body to what they wanted, then pitied themselves when I took further.too far, I was never a second thought. When I started getting better more muscular and refined I saw hope in there eyes again. It wasn't love, at least I don't think. it's ok though, love makes you weak.

"Do you wanna spar?" Ness asks breaking the silence . I realise I've been staring off at the boy with the mace for a long while.

"Sure" I shrug

We walk up to the next floor which has mats. The room is devoid of weapons ever since an unfortunate death, when the fight between two potential tributes went a little too far.

We walk on to the mats a Ness lunges at me which I duck below between her legs reappearing behind her. As she spins my knuckle meets her face as her foot comes behind my knees taking me down to my back as a see her come down a wrap my legs around her waist and launch myself up pushing her on her back and landing on her stomach winding her. And move my hands up going to make a fatal strike to the throat before bringing them down softly signifying that I have won, I'm agile I can win hand to had combat as long as I'm fast. I smirk reaching my hand out to help her up and wait for Ness to catch her breath.

"Good - move" she breathes hunching over hands on her lungs

We chatter for a while and spar a-bit more. I win, winning 4 matches and her winning 2. I guess you have to sacrifice being excellent at something if you want to be great at everything to get in the games. I'm saying this because I'm pretty average at most things but I'm excellent at agility and endurance but I'm the best at throwing knifes, I never miss.

We walk out of the training academy. By this time the sun is completely up and there's a slight breeze it's kinda chilly and I wished I put a jacket on now.

"I'm going to be in the games" Ness states "and when I win, I'm going to train my little sister to be in the games, the captiol will love us. And we will live not unlike the captiol people themselves"

I nod along although I wish I could enter the games to spite everyone who says I wouldn't make it. People in our year at school whisper about Ness they wonder why she's friends with me, because to them I am nothing, she could easily find other friends. thinking about friends we don't often make friends here in district two ecpessily with the other gender because it would come across as weakness during the games if we fell into a friendship, or more fell into love. Imagine two lovers in the games together, I chuckle at the thought

"Hello?" I was too deep in thought to realise Ness was even speaking to me. I look at her

"What?" I ask bluntly

"Do you wanna watch the people set up" she says

I shrug as we walk towards the centre together . there's a barrier and peace keepers surrounding it. They're armed with tasers, but most of them are talking to old friends having come from this district, we watch all the capitol trucks pull in rigging massive screens and decorating the stage where two lucky people will stand. The celebration will be here later, where parents will drink and toast to the tributes family, sing and dance and think about the glory to come. I've been in these party's since I was twelve hanging around the edges until the adults got too rowdy and all the kids have to leave. Ushers home by themselves to get into bed and dream about the games.

When the set up gets too boring we walk to the market. The markets where lined in a big building to stop the brick dust getting on all the food. There never was a lot of variety ,grains and fruits only grew near the mountins which were in the outskirts. But that food was mostly ruined by dust so some is grown in green houses, there's also a bakery for bread and baked goods like pastry's. And the meat is bland often just birds that fly overhead, occasionally a mountain cat comes to close to the district and the rich can afford to eat that. We buy a bowl full of berry's and decide to head over to Mae's house, she was apart of our friend group but had to give up training after a broken leg that wouldn't heal. She was good, never good enough to make the games though. she walked with a limp and her body looked frail. We kinda looked alike since she stopped training she lost all her muscle and become a ghost of the girl she used to be. Me and Ness saw her sitting alone and became quick friends.

We walk up the dusty road and knock on Maes door, she answers quickly. She's wearing a red silk dress and her hair is wet, twisted on top of her head probably making curls on top. She smiles when she sees us

"Hi" she smiles

"Why do you look so posh" I say "you've never had a chance of getting to the captiol with that limp" I say meanly

She scowls but brushes it off, she's used to much worse. I told you I can be mean. It's in 2s upbringing. We walk inside the house, going into Mae's room, it was on the bottom floor as she struggled to get up the stairs. She would do much better in our bungalow. Her parents smiled as we walked past into her bedroom. We discussed the games and how we each would win whilst eating the berries. I let the flavour explode in my mouth with each bite savouring it. We talk more and more knowing this isn't our year. But what if it was my year? No I push the thoughts out of my head. It can't be my year.

When your 12 you have your name in the pot once, 12 year olds hardly ever enter because someone else will volunteer or their names just aren't in the bowl enough. My names entered 4 times so is Maes and Ness'. We have little chance of being picked, even if the selected tribute chickens out of volunteering. 

After a while we leave Maes house heading back to our own. Hardly anyone is out at this time and if they are they're scurrying home with excitement to get glamed up for the reaping. Before we split we divide the berries although I insist she keeps them all.
"No eat some more we stand in the square for a long time" she pushes the berries into my palm. We head off back to our houses going in different directions.

"See you in the square, wear something nice" I shout after her.

As I enter through the front door I see my mother and father dressed finely, my mother wears an orange dress that stoped above the knee in a skin tight cotton material, my dad wears a matching orange waist coat with a black blazer, and trousers, they both still wear boots, it would be ridiculous to wear anything else on our ground. I'd seen girls stumble around in heels ruining them  on the first chance they got to wear them. I've never worn heels, probably never will.

They smile and hug me as I walk through the door, they're loving people, I guess I forget that sometimes when it mostly tough love.

"Eat" mother motions to a bowl of porridge laid on the table

I roll my eyes and walk over to the table. I pour the berries into the porridge to make it less plain and look down and the bowl. In the hesitation my father crosses his arms and sighs.

"What?" I ask "I don't want to look bloated if the cameras happen to fall on me" I say sarcastically

My father roll his eyes and walks out the room I can hear water falling into our porcelain tub, my mother sits besides me and smiles as I start spooning the porridge into my mouth

"Exciting isn't it?" She looks into the distance not waiting for reply "I can imagine you up on that stage, our clove, bringing pride to the district" she says this and looks kinda sad thinking it will never happen before the look is replaced by her normal resting face, hoping I didn't see the fact she will always be somewhat disappointed in me.

When I finish I move the bowl into the sink walking into bathroom and seeing my father has in fact poured the water for me. I scrub off all the brick dust before wrapping a towel around myself and heading  into my bedroom ,seeing there is an orange (kinda cringe we're all in the same colour) dress laid on the bed. It's a satin slip dress, I know satin isn't the most expensive but it's still pricy, I'm surprised that they got me it. the shoulders are thin staps and the dress falls just above my knees hanging limply from my body. I look in the mirror. I look kinda pretty. I can imagine walking onto the stage in this.

I loose my train of thought when there's a knock on my bedroom door

"Come in"

My mum enters with my boots in hand but they had been polished and bulled so they look almost new. I pull them onto my feet

"You look beautiful" she says

"Umhm" I reply unsure

"You do, honestly" she puts her hands up in surrender.

Mother comes over and unwraps the towel from my head .I sit down on a stool and let her brush through it. She winds it round into a crown braid leaving two curled bits at the front to frame my face. By this time it's 1 o'clock and we need to be there an hour before as everybody needs to be registered and find a spot to stand at. Presence at the raping is necessary. But I can't think of anybody who wouldn't want to attend.

The square is massive it needs to be to make sure everybody in the district fits in. it's in the middle of the district so everyone can get there easily the stage is always there .just in front the justice building which bright banners hang off. Camera crews sit on top of buildings and to the side of the stage. Waiting to catch every little moment.

The atmosphere is filled with complete excitement and I join in chatting to the people who wait in line around me, smiles plasterd on everyone's faces. The reaping is also a good time to check the population of the different districts as everybody is registered in. My mother and father have gone off to where the young children and adults stand. There's so many people. I wouldn't be able to spot them if I tried. Ropes separate age groups the twelve year olds at the front and 18s at the back. The 12 year olds are fidgety and more quiet than the rest.its the anticipation of their first games I remember feeling that way too. Thinking maybe they'd call my name and I could become the youngest Victor ever. I talk to two random girls next to me. Idle chitchat about who we think the volunteers will be. I hadn't spotted Mae or Ness. I didn't really try too.

As more people come were squished in like sardines and it's hard to hear anything with so much going on at once.

On the stage there are chairs lined across the back, a podium with two microphones pointed twords the middle and to the right side of the podium two massive glass bowls, one for girls, one for boys. The chairs fill up with the mayor of 2, Nimit Azaleasing (our district escort) she wears a massive pink turban, with a dress the same shocking pink ,massive frilled gloves. And green make up with lashes that reach the sky, along with giant green high heals, the next to walk out our victors, the crowd whoops and cheers as the victors flash a smile the most impressive smile being Enobaria's with her fangs, Brutus raised a muscled arm in the air. Lyme just raised an eyebrow. They all look so gracious but they are completely deadly. I want to be just like them.

The clock strikes 2 and the mayor strolls up to the podium closely followed by a whoop of the crowd. He tells the story of panems history, the same story as every year but we listen intrigued all the same. He tells the story of how we arose from the ashes of North America, how we survived through disaster after disaster. He talked about the brutal war. How the capital saved us by creating 13 districts, the capital brought peace and prosperity to all of its citizens. And then the dark days, the uprising of the district against the capital. The crowd booed. District 13 was obliterated and the hunger games were invented as a reminder of the traitorous past.

The rules of the hunger games are easy. it is to prevent upraising, a girl and boy go in as tributes and are entered in an outdoor area which can go from swamp to dry wastelands, to fight until the death and one remains Victor.

I can imagine myself being there. I push the thoughts out of my head. It's only more disappointing when I realise I'll never be there. the games clearly demonstrates how giving the capitol it shows the districts what they sacrifice for us and by partaking we show we are grateful for them. And for winning they are grateful to us offering prizes and a home in victors villages to live a life of ease.

"It is both a time for repentance and a time for thanks" they mayor finishes.

He then moves on to a list of past victors we cheer as our victors names are mentioned. They mayor smiles and introduces Nimit she walks to the podium her heals echoing of the surface her voice rings throughout the crowd

"Happy hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favour" she smiles revealing her teeth have been embellished with pearls. Nimit goes on about the honour of being here especially the fact she is in an honourable district and she goes on about something or other. I'm lost in thought just thinking about what if she calls my name. Wouldn't that be great.

I'm snapped out my thought as her shrill voice cuts through the air

"Time for the tributes" she reaches into the girls bowel raising an eyebrow as if she's deep in thought. As if choosing a tribute contained any thought at all, she's just drawing it out for suspense.

Her talons search through the bowl and she fishes out a pice of paper the whole crowd slightly tilts foward waiting...
She walks to the podium and unrolls the slip

"Athena Charles"

Everybody looks around. I don't know who Athena is nor do I care much my heat is pumping. This will be my year.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

845 23 6
"You or I or nobody." to "Together or not at at all." Slow burn Clato during the 74th Hunger Games, Cato's POV, canon plot, jumps right into the Gam...
63.2K 824 34
๐™‰๐™ค ๐™ข๐™–๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™–๐™ง๐™š ๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ค ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™, ๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก ๐™–๐™ก๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™จ ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช. Clove has been training for th...
52.7K 1.3K 17
After being adopted, Clove moves into a new house and meets her neighbour, Cato. They instantly become friends and start building a relationship that...
3.3K 115 64
{the rewrite of "District Two", the story of Cato and Clove; entered in the 2017 Wattys} โœ— If there's anything Atala Shields should be used to, i...