Undaunted (Loki x Reader)

By TheseHallowedRoses

'The end may justify the means, my Valkyrie - but only if there is something out there that justifies the end... More

Author's Final Introduction to The Reader
Undaunted Glossary
Chapter 2 - Unforeseen Consequences
*Chapter 3 - Intention*
Chapter 4 - A History
Chapter 5 - Calling Cards
Chapter 6 - A Family Reunion
Chapter 7 - Roadtrip
Chapter 8 - The Briefing
Chapter 9 - Boltholes
Chapter 10 - Pancakes
Chapter 11 - Three on Two
*Chapter 12 - Warrior's Lust*
Chapter 13 - Amends
*Chapter 14 - Override Codes*
Chapter 15 - Stalemate
Chapter 16 - AI's and Lullabies
*Chapter 17 - A Dance*
Chapter 18 - A Final Favor
Chapter 19 - High Treason
Chapter 20 - Fensalir
Chapter 21 - Epiphanies
Chapter 22 - Expeditious Reconciliation
*Chapter 23 - You're Mine*
Chapter 24 - Intentional Parting
Chapter 25 - A Mother's Not So Gentle Touch
Chapter 26 - A Brother's Rough Hand
Chapter 27 - Research and Reunions
Chapter 28 - Projections
*Chapter 29 - The Taste of You*
Chapter 30 - Healing Magic
Chapter 31 - Ancient Dangers
Chapter 32 - A Bloody Lesson
Chapter 33 - The Queen's Return
*Chapter 34 - A New Kind of Game*
Chapter 35 - Brothers and Blocks
Chapter 36 - Red Stains, White Bones, Blue Face
Chapter 37 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 38 - Girls' Day Out
*Chapter 39 - On Display*
Chapter 40 - Hidden Talents
Chapter 41 - Bloodlines
Chapter 42 - Away In Chains
Chapter 43 - Pardons
Chapter 44 - Chaos in a Flat
Chapter 45 - An Assembly of Kings
Chapter 46 - Lies
Chapter 47 - A Wisdom in Protection
*Chapter 48 - Appreciation*
Chapter 49 - A Balanced Mind
Chapter 50 - Guilty
Chapter 51 - The Frost
Chapter 52 - Friends With Cold Hands
Chapter 53 - Icy Spires
*Chapter 54 - Love Locked*
Chapter 55 - A Damsel in Distress
Chapter 56 - Dökgáttir
Chapter 57 - Twisted Vengeance
Chapter 58 - A Final Warning
Chapter 59 - Unlikely
Chapter 60 - Coping
Chapter 61 - Apples
Chapter 62 - Prunes and Fitted Sheets
Chapter 63 - Apologies and Hesitant Hands
Chapter 64 - Slipping
Chapter 65 - Polish and Scars
Chapter 66 - An English Lesson
Chapter 67 - Tricks and Trust
Chapter 68 - Tiny White Flowers
Chapter 69 - Golden Threads
Chapter 70 - Directives
Chapter 71 - Nicknames
Chapter 72 - Fireflies
Chapter 73 - Space
Chapter 74 - Patience and Pride
Chapter 75 - Running
Chapter 76 - The Key
Chapter 77 - Trackers
Chapter 78 - Blind Faith
Chapter 79 - Sentiment
Chapter 80 - Goodbyes
Chapter 81 - Soulmates
Chapter 82 - Quick Sand
Chapter 83 - Considerations
Chapter 84 - As It Should Be
Chapter 85 - Little Games, Big Surprises
Chapter 86 - When Worlds Collide
Chapter 87 - Caught
*Chapter 88 - Yes*
Chapter 89 - One of Us
Chapter 90 - A Fitting
Chapter 91 - Mint Chocolate Chip
Chapter 92 - Best of Men and Best of Brothers
*Chapter 93 - Something Blue*
Chapter 94 - Knots
Author's Final Outro Note to the Reader

Chapter 1 - A Warning Within The Rain

16.9K 466 623
By TheseHallowedRoses

There's a certain healing found in raindrops. In the kind that lazily fall upon the place beneath, gently kissing the Earth and cleansing her wounds. 

But these raindrops aren't lazy. Or gentle.

They slice at your skin, burning your cheeks and chest. They bring with them tidings of danger as the winds whisper "caution" between their howls.

Your heart pounds and your breath catches, as if snagged upon the warning being delivered by the storm. Your eyes flit quickly between the two Gods who circle each other slowly. Neither is willing to attack first, nor willing to trust the other won't. Loki bears a silver dagger, conjured in a haze of green. Thor keeps a tight grip on Mjolnir - his knuckles white.

Suddenly, Thor's voice breaks through the empty white noise of the rain as it falls upon the parking lot, drowning out the drum of the crashing waves on the beach's distant shoreline. 

"I don't want to fight you, brother. But I must have an answer. Will you help me?"

You wince as he grows in volume and step back, instinctively placing a protective hand on the wet hood of your shabby brown Volvo. Your son is inside. And you'll be damned if you let anything happen to him in your presence.

Your eyes flit back to Loki as he lets out a low scoff in detest. His long raven hair is slicked down by the rain, hanging heavily on his shoulders. And although his Asgardian robes must be growing burdensome under the weight of the layers of wet fabric, he holds his head high and keeps his shoulders thrown back proudly. His nostrils flare slightly and his green eyes narrow as one dark brow arches in equal parts contempt and intrigue.

"After all this time...and you believe we will come when called, scampering to the steps of the palace like dogs trained to their master?" Loki snarls in response. 

"Loki, please, I-"

"Let me tell you something, brother," Loki interrupts with a cold sneer. "Odin is no longer my master. I will not bow to he who has hunted my family out of pure spite. And I will certainly not help him."

You watch as the vein in Loki's forehead throbs. He cocks his head slightly, his jaw tight. Despite these small and nearly imperceptible displays of anger, he keeps a cool and collected demeanor. One that is, perhaps, even tinged by the slightest expression of sickened amusement. His mask.

Loki's mask is dangerous. You know if he keeps it on too long, he will become that which he pretends to be, and a shiver crawls down your spine. You're chilled by the slow emergence of the old Loki you once knew - the angry, sadistic, and suspicious God of Mischief. Your Loki - the passionate lover and innocent prankster - is nowhere to be found. He is gone. Buried somewhere deep inside. 

You have seen this once before - in Galway. The night of the attack. You pray Thor proceeds cautiously.

"You would refuse this olive branch, Loki?" Thor calls out above the rain. 

"Is that what it is?" Loki growls, tightening his grip on his dagger. "Or is it a play to put me in yet another set of shackles?"

"I speak truth, brother. This offer has been delivered through me straight from Odin himself. Freedom. And immortality for Lady Y/n. Please, Loki. I beg you...think about your next words carefully."

You glance back at Thor, who despite speaking to Loki, is looking directly at you. You know what he's asking you to do. And you agree with him. This is a chance to broker peace. A chance at a different, and longer life together. 

Slowly, you move from the car to Loki, stepping in front of him and wrapping your hand tenderly around his that holds the dagger. You watch as his lips curl and he impulsively tries to pull away. But you keep your grip strong, and his fingers loosen. Loki allows you to take the dagger from his hand, but does not drop his iron glare from Thor.

"Loki..."

Your voice saying his name for the first time in years is enough for him to falter in his façade and look down at you. You watch as his gaze softens, and his mask cracks. You see the Loki you know, your Loki, fighting his way back through. After a moment, Loki raises a hand to your face, pushing away a few strands of wet hair that cling to your temples.

"I've missed your face, kærasta," he says, placing a gentle kiss to your lips. You smile into his kiss. It has been a year and a half since you have last glimpsed his face. And it has been over two years since he has seen yours.

You place one hand on Loki's chest, and toss the dagger he had conjured aside before entangling that hand in his sopping mane, pulling him in deeper. You feel his hand travel to your lower back, resting gently on the small of it as his lips move against yours.

You have missed the shape of his jaw and the texture of his skin. In some ways, this kiss feels very much like your first as it causes you heart to flutter and your cheeks to grow warm.

Breaking away, you place your wet forehead gently to his, allowing the rain to fall like teardrops down your cheeks and noses. They cool the fire in your chest.

"We have a chance here, Loki," you whisper to him. "A real chance. We should at least hear him out - think carefully and fully negotiate our terms."

Loki lets out a sigh, kissing you gently once more before threading his fingers through yours. 

"Fine. But I want you out of this rain," Loki says.

With a smile and a nod, you nuzzle his wet neck lovingly before pulling away and walking up to Thor. Loki hangs back several paces - watching. 

"We'll hear you out Thor," you say confidently. Thor smiles and takes a friendly step towards you, but you hold up one hand, stopping him. "But that doesn't mean we agree to anything. Not yet," you say firmly. 

Thor nods in understanding. Although he may have spent the better part of the last two years watching over you and your family - protecting you - up until now you had believed him to be a threat. You aren't ready let your guard down around him. Not yet.

You gesture for Thor to follow you as you start walking back to the car, where Anthony - strapped into his car seat in the back - plays with his red plastic bucket from the beach. You're about to open the driver's side door as Thor opens the door to the backseat. He only manages to open it a few inches when, from the corner of your eye, you see Loki's large, pale hand slam it shut again.

Thor cocks his head in confusion at Loki, who grins sadistically.

"Y/n may have invited you back to our home. But you're not riding in the car next to our son," he says.

"Then where will I..." Thor starts. But Loki simply nods up to the top of the car. 

Thor grumbles, but quickly jumps on top, sitting cross legged on the roof of the Volvo.

"You can't be serious," you say to Loki, who gives you a staunch and firm glare back. 

Clearly, he is going to make Thor as uncomfortable as possible.

Rubbing your temples as Loki walks by you, you let out a surprised gasp when he grabs your ass and places a kiss on your cheek as he passes. You roll your eyes and look at Thor, who is clearly annoyed. 

"Sorry," you say, casting an apologetic glance his way.

Sliding into the driver's seat, you look over at Loki, who is grinning maniacally. 

"Really, Loki? This isn't necessary."

"Actually, darling, I think it's more than necessary. In fact, I believe I'll be driving us home," he says. In a flash of green, your positions are switched, and Loki now sits in the driver's seat. 

You groan and place your head in your hands, preparing yourself for what will undoubtedly be an uncomfortable ride home, followed by an even more uncomfortable conversation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2.8K 50
"Not many people can tell me no," Kylo Ren declared. "But you evidently think that you can" "That's why you're so stuck up," you retorted quickly. "B...
146K 4.2K 43
"And no matter how much they fought, they would somehow be pulled back together, as if forced to reunite. Was it fate? Or just plain luck? Neither kn...
3.4M 94.3K 103
This is my Loki X Reader Series. This is the one series that I am known for and a lot of people seem to like it. So I hope that people on Wattpad lik...
25.1K 749 31
Y/n is one of Hydra's best assasins and forms an epic team with her sister Leila. The duo never fails a mission until one day when everything goes wr...