Keeping It in the Family (Lin...

By BadassBurgess

Hank Voight having to retire early was something no one imagined would happen. The choice of his successor wa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Keeping 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150

Chapter 39

465 10 1
By BadassBurgess

The first cold beer of the night tasted wonderful to Halstead. It had been a long undercover operation, and seemingly an even longer day. It was one he wouldn't want to have to go through again, he was certain of that. The raid had gone wrong, Lindsay had lost it with Olinsky, Jay had lost it with her, then it had turned out to be Purrazzo's fault that it had all gone wrong, and she had almost had to leave the unit.

Frankly, Halstead was a little surprised that Lindsay hadn't dropped Purrazzo from Intelligence. He was glad she hadn't, but surprised nonetheless. Firing her would have been justifiable.

Sitting at the bar in Molly's, Halstead was next to Alvin Olinsky, who looked equally grateful for the beer. As instructed by Lindsay, Purrazzo had bought the first round.

"What a day," Halstead said.

Olinsky downed some of his beer. "I've had worse." His tone suggested that there had not been many.

"Yeah. Erin went in pretty hard on you."

"I can handle it. Anyway, I was in charge of the raid. The screw up was my responsibility, not hers. She was outside, being arrested. I'd have been angry if I was her."

Okay, Halstead thought, nursing his beer for a few moments. At the other end of the bar, Atwater and Purrazzo were standing with Sylvie Brett, one of the paramedics from Ambulance 84, based at the 21st. He studied his partner for a bit. She still looked pretty downcast, which he could understand.

"How did Purrazzo do while I was under? Before today, I mean," he said to Olinsky.

"Very well. It was her and Ruzek who did most of the work on the case we just closed. A meth dealer shot and killed another dealer over some kind of turf dispute. We went to question a suspect, and found a hooker in his apartment with him. We brought her in for questioning, and Purrazzo ended up talking information out of her. It transpired that he had been blabbing to her while she was, shall we say, servicing him."

Halstead grinned, then drank some beer. "What a way to catch a break."

"The hooker claimed she has people running their mouths to her all the time. I was thinking about approaching her to be a CI and giving her to Purrazzo. She needs to learn how to work a CI, and she's already got a connection with this girl."

"Sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully Lindsay goes for it. You think there's anything going on between her and Atwater?"

"Lindsay? I thought you had that covered," Olinsky quipped.

Halstead laughed. "Bad jokes, Al? That's unlike you."

Olinsky took a drink from his bottle of beer. "I want to be a comedian when I grow up. To answer your intended question, I don't know. Purrazzo says they're friends, and I haven't pried. Not my business."

As if on cue, Atwater extricated himself from Purrazzo and Brett and came over. Halstead took it as his own opportunity to mingle a bit. Getting up, he looked at Ruzek, Burgess and Lindsay, who were standing in a group, having a grand old time by the look of it. It was a pleasant sight indeed. He didn't know who had made the first move, but it seemed like there might be a chance for Erin to rebuild the friendships she had trashed after all. He felt glad for all involved. Deciding to leave them to it while the going seemed to be good, he went over to Purrazzo and Brett instead.

"Got any jobs going on that ambo, Sylvie?" he opened with. "Purrazzo here might be needing one soon."

Purrazzo winced. "Too soon, Jay. Too soon."

"We don't do much shooting on the ambos," Brett giggled. "Our job is more about cleaning up after people like Deonna blow through town."

All three of them laughed, then Purrazzo became more serious. "I'm glad you're back. Nothing against Ruze at all, he's a great guy and we worked well together, but..."

"It's not the same as working with your partner. Although when you think about it, you worked with Ruze longer than you did with me."

"Hey, that's true!" Purrazzo grinned at the realisation. "Maybe I'll stick with him after all."

"How serious was it today?" Brett asked. She sounded concerned, but Halstead didn't know what she was asking about. His blank face drew Purrazzo into responding.

"I told Sylvie about my screw up today, Jay. Thought Sergeant Lindsay was going to fire me, let alone accept my resignation. Came as a great surprise when she said I was staying on the team."

"Was it that serious though?" Brett asked again. "Surely rookies are allowed a mistake or two."

"They are," Halstead conceded, looking at his partner. "But today's was a massive one, and a needless one. I'm not going to sugar coat it, a lot of sergeants would have let you go today. I think it's safe to say you're in last chance territory."

"I know," Purrazzo sighed. "I'm not going to screw up again. I'm aware how lucky I was to get this opportunity."

"That's good to know," Brett said. She finished her beer and put the bottle on the bar. "Bathroom," she announced, and walked off.

"Heard you did well on the drug dealer murder you just solved," Halstead said to Purrazzo.

"I'd like to think so. Got the intel out of a hooker called Alexa Bliss. She didn't really like giving it up, but she did."

"Good work. I'm sure Sergeant Lindsay will note it when she reads the reports."

"Does it feel weird calling her Sergeant Lindsay when you guys are, well, you know..."

Halstead figured his relationship with Erin was hardly a secret from anyone at the 21st by now, so it was time to accept the fact and roll with the punches. "Yes, it is weird. It's something I struggled with for a while, but I'm over it now. Actually, I'm pretty much used to it at this point. Since we're on personal questions, are you dating Kevin?"

Purrazzo rolled her eyes. "Honestly, I thought I worked with detectives. For now, I'm telling you this as my partner, so keep your mouth shut. Kevin and I are friends. Good friends. I'm dating Sylvie."

"You're dating... Oh," Halstead said, failing to hide his surprise. "I didn't know you were into women. I didn't know Sylvie was into women."

"Neither did she until she met me," Purrazzo said with a mischievous smile.

"That's seriously hot," he said.

"Men," she grumbled in good humour. "Another beer?"

"Yeah, but I'll get them. I'll get one for Sylvie too."

Halstead ordered the drinks from Stella Kidd, who was working the bar. She was one of the owners of Molly's, and also worked for the Fire Department. From there and from the bar, they knew each other in passing.

"How are you, Jay?" Kidd asked while she worked on opening the three beer bottles. "Haven't seen you or Erin in here for ages."

"We were undercover," Halstead said. For obvious reasons he couldn't be any more elaborate.

"Ah, good result, I hope?"

"Not really, hence the beers," he said with a friendly smile as he took the beers. The cost would be added to his tab. "Thanks, Stella."

He spent a while talking with Brett and Purrazzo, not bringing up their budding relationship. Now that he knew about it, he could see it in the way they looked at each other. He wondered if anyone else from Intelligence had noticed it yet.

The conversation was interrupted when Lindsay came over to them. "I'm calling it a night. I'll see you in the morning, ideally without hangovers."

"Yes, ma'am," Purrazzo said, grinning at the joke.

"I'll walk you to your car," Halstead said.

"I don't need you to do that," Lindsay said, although she did sound appreciative of the offer.

"Maybe not, but there's a chance, even if it's a small one, that Martinez and the others who escaped might be out there intent on revenge. So I'm walking you to your car."

"Okay then," Lindsay conceded.

"Hold this for me," Halstead said, giving his bottle to Purrazzo. With that, he accompanied Lindsay out into the street.

"I'm going to see Hank, Jay," Erin said as they walked to her car. "I missed him, and I know he's going to want to know I'm no longer under."

And you want to talk to him about your ongoing man management problems, Jay read between the lines. Out of respect for his girlfriend, for that was what she was in that moment, he didn't mention it.

"He'll be glad to see you, Er. You should have him come by the office some time. I'm sure everyone would like that."

"Hank might light that too. I'll suggest it to him."

Her car wasn't parked far from Molly's. As they approached it, Halstead looked around for any sign of trouble or someone waiting to follow her. He could see nothing, but that didn't mean nobody was there.

"Thanks for walking me out, Jay. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious, just in case. Goodnight." He leaned down slightly and they kissed each other on the lips. Her perfume made him want more, but it wouldn't be happening on this night.

"Goodnight, Jay. You keep an eye out too. And don't get too drunk."

"Yes, boss," he replied, and they both laughed.

Halstead stood there while she got into the car, and watched her drive away. No other cars followed her.

One more beer then I'll hit the road, he thought, heading back to Molly's. When he walked in, he saw Ruzek and Burgess still standing together in conversation. Purrazzo and Brett were chatting away, as were Atwater and Olinsky at the far end of the bar.

First, Halstead retrieved his beer from Purrazzo, then he went over to Burgess and Ruzek.

"Hey," Burgess smiled. "We're going to take off soon. Got to get back to Alex. My mom has already stayed for longer than she wanted to today."

"Come back with us if you like," Ruzek offered. "We can put the little guy to bed then have a few more drinks and get some food in."

"It would be good to have you over," Burgess said.

"Alright, sounds good," he decided. "We'll finish these drinks and head out if you like."

"Sounds good," Burgess said.

"It was nice to see you guys talking to Erin. Wasn't sure those bridges would ever be rebuilt."

"Neither was I, but I'm happy to give it a chance," she said. "I never wanted to lose her as a friend in the first place."

Ruzek laughed. "Let's see how we feel tomorrow when we go through round two over today's mess."

"That's different, that's Erin doing her job," Halstead said. It struck him as ironic that it was now him pointing that out to other people.

A/N: Things seem to be looking up a bit on the personal side of things. But will there still be fallout to come from the blown Martinez operation?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 129 6
Life was going great until the FBI came snooping around. I guess killing Roy raised some red flags. What made it worse was when their former friend a...
191K 2.7K 85
This story based on 2 years after Erin left to go to New York to take a job to keep Bunny out of jail. I kept Alvin Olinksey alive in the story as we...
26.5K 1.1K 87
The story begins after the season finale of the fourth season, so to speak my story starts off as the beginning of the fifth season. Erin left Chicag...
44.9K 604 22
Disclaimer : I wrote this years ago :) A linstead fanfic to fill the linstead shaped hole in my heart and yours too because I'm going crazy waiting f...