Two's Company

By evelynsloane_

Meet Kara Stratford. This academically focused seventeen-year old is your typical teenage girl. The perfect e... More

Two's Company
1. Pizza is the meaning of life!
2. It is Wednesday, my dudes
3. How to be a failure 101.
4. The happiest person on the planet
5. Ugh, Breakups
6. The guy from California (and I mean the whole state)
7. Pretzels and Awkward conversations.
8. I strangle my brother with my eyes.
9. That was not a sneeze!
10. The Gothic Snowball's day out
11. Ponytail flicks and Scarlett Johansson
12. She knows everything.
13. Hold your horses.
14. That's hot.
15. The Wrath of Nana.
16. DIGEST THEM
17. Jump into a toilet.
18. Sexy but scary
19. Cilantro.
20. Bedroom Aerobics.
21. I Nachos sono il significato della vita.
22. Spatula on his chest.
23. We're Leo.
24. Not all sticks are straight
25. Spitting out inspiration.
26. Duct tape my mouth.
27. Charisma of an adidas slipper.
28. Discuss my dick.
29. Microwave a plant.
30. Don't harass my unborn child.
31. I will kick your ass to Antarctica.
32. Switched personalities.
33. Cut metal with my jaw
34. Dora the ostrich.
35. SHAILENE AND ROSALEEN.
36. Wood comes from trees.
37. Potassium can go die in a hole for all I care.
38. Bozo
39. Married to an alien.
40. It should be a crime to look that good.
41. Its bananas.
42. Default location.
43. In a friend way.
44. I suffer from sleep deprivation.
45. Is he yours?
46. They're all vegetables.
47. Potential, my ass.
48. I'm not blind.
49. Whack them back to their respective homes.
50. Breakfast plus lunch.
51. X chromosome, my butt.
52. Half a boyfriend.
53. The Secret.
54. The jaw thing.
55. Cosmopolitan failed me.
Epilogue: Ready.
About the Author.

56. Happy.

288 23 2
By evelynsloane_

Last chapter!!! (Kinda)

Chapter 56: Happy.

"I did exactly what you said!" I exclaimed, handing the cards back, "Why am I not getting it?"

"Because you didn't do it right." Isaac deadpanned, "Okay, so let me explain again."

Isaac had become one of Naomi's closest friends in college. Since their semester had just ended, Isaac had come to spend the beginning of his vacation at Naomi's. Adam didn't mind, apparently. He wasn't the 'jealous type' as I had been told.

Besides, having Isaac around was a lot of fun. Sure he was annoying and a little insane but so were all of my other friends. So he fit right in amongst a group of high school seniors. He didn't even mind that he was hanging out with us.

Luke had taken my car as usual and since I had no one to drive me home from school, I called Isaac. Usually, I would walk but I wanted some sort of entertainment. He didn't even hesitate to pick me up, stating that he was just 'lazing around anyway'.

But the idiot somehow managed to wreck Naomi's car and it had broken down in the middle of the street. So we were here in the almost empty school grounds in the afternoon, sitting on the roof.

Currently, he was teaching me some sort of a card trick but I was failing miserably.

"You know what, just forget it." I said, exasperated, "Here, take your stupid cards. These things are fucking retarded."

"But-"

"Nope."

"Well, okay then." he said in a dull tone and placed the cards beside him, "Its sort of hot here, you know?"

"What- no its not." I said, "You're just saying that because you're from Canada and its like never hot there."

"That's true." he shrugged, "But seriously its like living in a hot tub with no water."

I stared at him, "That is the worst analogy I have ever heard in my life."

"No its not."

"Yeah it is. You have absolutely zero creativity, Mendoza."

"Fuck off." he scowled and I chuckled.

"I mean its only April. You should see how hot it is in summer." I made a face, "I mean in LA and stuff its just sunny but here, oh man, the humidity and the things it does to my hair."

He snorted, "Speaking of LA..."

"Yeah?"

"You're going to college there in the fall huh?" he leaned back, "Damn."

"What do you mean 'damn'?" I asked.

"I mean I get that its like a big deal and shit. This dance school. But-"

"Aw, you thought I'd come to Montreal, Isaac?" I teased. Isaac was a flirt. But he flirted with literally everybody. No matter the age or gender. It was strange, really. 

"I mean I hoped so, yeah. I don't really have a lot of friends except Naomi and Adam, you know." 

I gaped at him, "What the hell are you talking about? You know literally everybody on campus. And when I say everybody, I mean every single person."

"Well, yeah. But they're not my friends, Carol." I cringed at the nickname, "We're just you know, like acquaintances."

"Right." I said, "So you and Aspen-"

"Are over forever and ever." he sighed sadly, "Meh, its fine though. We're cool. I don't think we'd ever be friends but- wait a minute. Why am I telling you this?"

"Because I'm here and a good listener?" I provided helpfully.

"You actually are a pretty good listener."

"Thank you."

"Anyways, she's moved on. Sort of I think." he said, "I'm okay too."

"Good to know."

"You know I'm thinking of changing my major next year." he perked up.

"Oh yeah? To what?"

"I'm not really sure. Something bio related, I guess." he shrugged, "I don't think psych is my thing."

"I don't know, Isaac. You don't really strike me as a bio kid." I said.

"If you didn't know me, I wouldn't even strike you as a psych kid."

"But I do know you." I said, "And you are a little bit of a psychopa-"

"Shut up, Carol."

I laughed, staring at the view of the school parking lot. A few cars were around, gesturing that some kids were still in the building, doing some extra-curricular activities.

 "You seem happy." Isaac said, bringing me out of my daze. I didn't even realize that I was smiling, "I mean happier than when I saw you last."

"I am, I guess." I said, "Sort of happy. Things are turning out pretty much exactly the way they're supposed to and its...its nice, you know."

"I guess so." he said, "So what are you doing for the summer?"

"Vacation starts in two months, Isaac." I pointed out.

"I know that. I know when summer is, Carol." he said, "I'm asking you what you have planned for it."

I shrugged, "I don't know. I'll just chill out, I guess. This year has been sort of hectic so yeah."

"What do you mean 'so yeah'?"

"I mean I don't have anything planned." I said, "I may get a job or do some sort of an internship or something though. I need the money."

"What?" he let out a small laugh, "You have money. From dance."

"Which I spent on my dad's hospital bills and rehab." I explained, "So I need a job."

He hummed in response, "How is your dad, by the way?"

"He's really good, you know. I think he is, at least. He's still got around six weeks to go in the rehab and then he's home for good. Hopefully he'll go AA meetings and stuff. I hope he will. We talk sometimes. Not much though."

"That's nice." he yawned, "What about the others?"

I eyed him curiously, "Quite inquisitive today, aren't we Mendoza?"

"Just answer the question, Carol."

"What others?" I asked.

"You know, your mom, grandma, sister, brother, friends...the others."

"Well, my mom quit her job because she actually got an opportunity to work in Boston University's math department. So she's going there next year. She's real excited for that. I don't really know if my parents are going to work through their marriage or anything. But I wouldn't be surprised if they separated either."

"My grandma is back in Rhode Island. Yeah, she figured leaving her bakery unattended for so long could cause problems or some shit like that. But she'll be back during the summer, I think."

"My sister is at home with her fiancé, nursing her baby. I don't know when she's going to go back. I mean her baby is adorable but the crying in the middle of the night shit...that I can't handle."

"My brother's going to college in Indiana. He's pretty siked about that. He deserves it you know. He worked so hard."

"And Andrew is going to MIT. Thankfully, the idiot didn't do the gap year shit. But I guess I won't be seeing him much though. He has an internship in the summer and his family is moving away and everything too."

"Ren is Ren." I sighed, playing with the ring on my finger, "He's still juggling around things, you know. I mean Stacy's been gone for over a year but I think he still misses her a lot. But he's joining a dance crew and he'll be touring most of next year."

"Dri is going to New York to Parsons. Her girlfriend's going to be there too. She's figuring out things with her parents but they're sort of understanding her right now I think."

"And Sadie is going to culinary school in New York as well." I finished, "You got all your info now?"

"Yep." he leaned back. We were both leaning against a bench and sitting on the floor, with the door open behind us. I felt someone slip onto the roof but I just assumed it was Andrew since I had asked him to give us a ride home.

But instead, I felt a pair of arms encircle me from behind, hugging my shoulders. I caught the familiar scent of him in my nostrils and my eyes widened.

Isaac jolted when I whipped around and hugged Calvin tightly without a warning, "Hi."

He hugged me back and laughed against my body, "Don't say hi like that. You sound shy."

I hugged him tighter, "No, I'm just..."

He had been away for the weekend with his mom in Chicago. Even though we had seen each other on Friday, we had talked all day on the phone on Saturday. We had barely gotten off the phone. I had settled in my bed to watch a movie on my laptop and I was pretty sure he was stuck at the hotel room with a book, but all we did was just talk and talk on the phone.

"Aw, look at you. I've made you speechless." he said, teasingly.

"Shut up." I laughed.

"There's the Kara I know." he murmured softly. When I pulled back, I noticed that he was chewing gum, blue eyes twinkling with amusement. His eyes trailed over to Isaac who was grinning, "Isaac...right?"

"Yeah. Hey man." he said. Either I was imagining it, or there was actual jealously in Calvin's eyes.

Then Calvin did something weird. He kept looking at Isaac with a certain look in his eyes, one arm around me, as he popped a bubble with the gum in his mouth before nodding.

My lips parted a little and I held in a little laugh. Wow.

His eyes softened as he looked at me, "Hey bella."

The smile on my face was big as I said, "What are you doing here?"

He feigned disappointment, "What- you don't want me here?"

"Not that, you idiot." I said, "What are you doing here in school? After hours that too?"

He laughed a little, "I came to get some notes and stuff and Andrew told me you were here so..." he bumped his nose with mine.

"Ugh, get a room." Isaac interrupted, making me roll my eyes at him.

I pulled Calvin away from his view and into a corner after he spit out his gum in a bin, I took his hands, "How was Chicago?"

"It was pretty nice. Really cold though. I missed you." he kissed my cheek and I felt my smile widen, "And I got you a little gift."

"What- you didn't have to." I said, really not expecting anything.

"Its nothing major. Its sort of like a souvenir." he said, handing me the little bag he'd been carrying, "Here you go."

I opened the bag to reveal a medium sized snow globe. My lips parted in surprise and I shook it a little, watching the fake snowflakes fall over the Chicago skyline. The snowflakes were not just white but green and blue and white, making me stare at it longer.

"Thank you so much." I beamed before shaking it again, "Wow I love this. Its so mesmerizing."

"Glad you like it." he grinned, "Its the least I can bring back for my girlfriend."

My head snapped up in his direction. We had never discussed this. I mean it was implied but he hadn't even asked me. But the word did send me into a bit of a frenzy. Girlfriend.

"Your girlfriend?" I asked him.

He looked a little conflicted and frowned, "Yeah, um, I can call you that right? Or is too soon? Okay shit, you know what-"

"No, no, I just wasn't consulted on the girlfriend part." I hit him lightly on the chest and he looked more confused than ever, "You didn't ask me yet, you idiot."

"Oh right." he ran a hand through his hair messing it up even more than usual, "Um, so you're into rom-coms and stuff so do you want me to get on one knee and ask you?"

"Yes." I said, with a serious expression.

He looked surprised, "I-I was kidding."

"Well, I wasn't." I crossed my arms. He shot me a small glare and got down on his knee. Oh wow.

"Hey, what's happening here." Andrew asked, coming forward. Isaac was just behind him.

I clasped my hands dramatically, "Calvin is asking me to marry him."

"I am not." he said, "I'm just-"

But Isaac was giving him a crazy look, "Bro, you're still in high school. At least wait until you graduate, man."

"Can you guys shut up for a second?" he said and I laughed, "I'm asking her to be my girlfriend."

"Holy, what the hell is going on?" Sadie voice came through and she stood in my view with her arm around my brother.

Luke looked frightened, "Shit bro, are you proposing?"

"I am asking her to be my girlfriend. Oh my God." he said, making us all laugh. He took my hand, "I can't believe I'm doing this."

Just as he opened his mouth to talk, Ren's voice cut through, "What the fuck is happening over here?"

"Calvin's asking Kara to be his girlfriend." Andrew explained. Naomi was also there, trailing behind Ren, with her car keys in her hand.

"Oh my God, really?" Naomi exclaimed, "Aw."

"Shut up, Naomi." Calvin glared at her. He took a deep breath and looked at me, "Kara, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Holy- wait what now?" Dri's voice cut through and I burst out laughing. Sadie was practically leaning on my brother, laughing like crazy.

"What?" Calvin snapped at her.

"Dude, that was the worst thing ever. Do it again. And why are you kneeling on the ground? What the hell?" Dri scolded and Sadie and I were beside ourselves with laughter.

He sighed, glaring at Dri, before taking a deep breath and turning to me, "Kara, will you-"

"You guys, this is so cute!" Sadie exclaimed, whipping out her phone for a video.

It wasn't a video. It was a skype call to Wesley and soon his voice rang through, "Oh my God, finally. Ms. Potts and the Beast!"

"Fuck, my legs are starting to hurt." Calvin mumbled before turning to me with a fake smile, "Kara, would you-"

I pulled him up, laughing, "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend. You don't have to do this. I can't take it anymore."

"Thank God- stop laughing!" he said, pulling me close. But a small laugh still escaped my lips, making him smile a little.

"Yeah now kiss her." Someone said.

"Ew, I don't want to witness my sister making out with someone...again." Luke called out but I didn't look at any of them.

Calvin didn't waste a single second before pressing his lips to mine. The passion and happiness were evident from the way he moved his lips against mine. He kissed me long and soft and I could hear Ren and Andrew cheering so loudly that Dri that threatened to push them off the roof.

When we pulled back, I was panting and leaned in for another kiss, not caring about the people around us.

But Luke snatched me back, "Look I'm happy for you and shit but please don't kiss in front of me ever again. I'm begging you. Please. I will do anything-"

"Okay, okay. We won't." I laughed, feeling Calvin sling his arm around my neck. I laced my fingers through his, "What the hell are you people doing here anyways?"

"I had math club." Andrew said.

"Me too." Sadie added.

"I came to pick up Sade." Luke said, "And no, I didn't bring the car. I got my motorcycle."

"Idiot." I muttered.

"I was bringing the car back when I ran into this guy-" Naomi pointed to Ren, "And he tagged along."

"We found her sulking around her house because of a certain ridiculously hot cousin of hers-" Ren said referring to Dri who timidly raised her hand, "And yeah."

"Why did you come anyway?" I asked Ren and Dri. They shrugged.

"'Cause I was bored at home?" Dri said, "And I didn't want to see my ugly cousin's face."

"She's definitely not ugly and I would love to see more of her." Ren winked, "If you know what I mean."

Everyone cringed but Naomi discreetly high-fived him. Wow. Just wow. My friends were never going to change but it was okay. To me, despite their flaws and imperfections, they were just fine. They were the best friends I could ever ask for. I smiled at them even though they weren't looking at me. These weirdos were my family.

Calvin tugged me closer and whispered, "What are you thinking about?"

I turned to him and smiled, shaking my head, "Nothing. I'm just...happy, you know."

"As you should be." he said, kissing my forehead when no one noticed, "If anyone here deserves happiness- well everyone here deserves happiness- but if anyone in general deserves happiness, its you."

"That was kind of cheesy." I scrunched up my face.

"You like kind of cheesy." he said.

"No I don't."

"Liar."

"You're still not going to tell me how you know I'm lying?" I asked, resting my forehead on his shoulder.

He body vibrated with laughter, "Nope."

"I hate you." I mumbled.

"That's a wonderful thing to say to your boyfriend who you've been with for around five minutes, right?" he said with sarcasm.

I shook my head, smiling and looked up at him before looping my arms around his neck, "I missed you when you went to Chicago."

"We talked the entire day, bella." he deadpanned and I narrowed my eyes at him, making him laugh a little, "I missed you too. I missed you more, in fact."

"Yeah I don't think that's possible." I said, bumping his nose with mine.

"No, I'm pretty sure I missed you more than you missed me."

"No you didn't-"

"Cut the crap, lovebirds." Naomi hollered, "You both missed each other. Lets just leave it at that."

"Is this what we have to deal with from now on?" Sadie said, "The whole 'I missed you more' and 'no you hang up first' shit?"

"Yeah that's not gonna happen." Andrew said, "Kara always hangs up first."

"Well, because I don't see the point of staying on line after you've said bye. Like what the hell, you guys?" I protested.

"Whatever." Luke said, "I'm cool with you guys as long as there's a sock on the door or something. Just like...inform me before you make out and shit, yeah?"

"Noted." Calvin said.

"Oh my gosh, Harper owes me 10 bucks." Dri said furiously typing on her phone. We had soon realized that the only reason Dri was on her phone all the time was because of Harper. They texted each other constantly.

I frowned, "Wait a minute. You bet on us?"

"Yep." Naomi admitted and passed a ten dollar bill to Sadie.

I gasped, "Naomi, you bet against me?"

"Yeah." she admitted sheepishly and noted my glare, "What? I didn't think you had the guts to actually go for it, Kara-Bear."

I huffed, "You're unbelievable."

"Why are we still here?" Isaac grumbled, "I'm starving."

"That's right." Ren clapped his hands, "Kara-Bear finally has a boyfriend. We should go out and celebrate. Lets have pizza."

"Right because we never have pizza, do we?" Andrew retorted, snorting.

"So you don't want pizza?"

"Oh no, I want pizza."

"Then why the hell are you complaining, man?" Ren said and everyone started to make their way to the door, arguing loudly. I smiled at them.

 I pulled on Calvin's arm as he started to go with them, "Wait wait."

"What? You don't want to go?" he asked, halting, "Are you seriously refusing pizza right now, babe? Because if you are-"

"No of course not." I shook my head, "I just need to tell you something."

"What is it?" he wrapped his arms around me until I was flush against him and lowered his lips to my neck.

I took a sharp breath, "Uh, I-um..."

"Go on, I'm listening." he teased, dragging his tongue on my skin.

"I wanted to say that uh..." my breathing began to quicken as he kept on kissing down my neck, all the while keeping his eyes on me.

"What is it, baby?" he asked with feigned innocence, not stopping his kisses, "Come on. Tell me."

"Um, I just- uh," I didn't find the words as the guy in front of me kept kissing my neck, my collarbone and indulged in my flustered expression, "You are so not making this easy!" I exclaimed at last.

He laughed and pulled back, kissing me shortly, "Now can you tell me?"

I braced my hands on his chest and said the next words with more confidence and clarity than I ever had in my life, "I love you."

His face went slack, the smile disappearing and utter shock replaced his features. His breath hitched against my cheek and his heart started to beat even faster under my hand if that was possible. I had been thinking this through and rationalizing it and I had realized that I meant what I just said to him.

Once he had managed to compose himself, he said, "Y-You do?"

"Mm-hmm." I smiled widely and let my arms loop around his neck, "I love you. To the stars and back and beyond."

His face was stunned and more emotion flowed through his eyes than I had ever seen, "You love me?"

"Yes. I love you, Calvin Hayward." I laughed at the disbelief on his face, "Honestly, why is it so hard to believe-"

"You love me." he breathed out, smiling this time.

"Yeah, I do." I said, "And I think you'd know if I was lying, right?"

He shook his head, "I love you too. To the stars and back and beyond and more. So much more."

Calvin captured my lips with his, kissing me deeply until there was no other thought in my mind except this. Except his arms around me and his lips over mine, kissing me with more passion and love and affection than ever deemed possible.

"I love you." I murmured against him and he groaned into my mouth. The same sound escaped my own lips when his tongue circled mine.

"I love you so much, Kara." he said as we reluctantly pulled back for air.

I was breathing hard but I pulled him back for another kiss, completely getting lost in his being. No, I was never going to get used to this. Not now, not tomorrow, not until the end of eternity itself.

The shrill, familiar voice of my least favorite teacher, Miss Windum, rang through, making us jerk, "Ms. Stratford this is highly inappropriate behavior. Detention for the both of you this whole week!"

___

A small author's note:

There is an epilogue after this so this is technically not the last chapter...even though it is.

Anyways, I just wrote this author's note to point out that the last sentence of this chapter is sort of similar to the first sentence of the first chapter.

Pretty cool, right? 

See you in the epilogue :)

With no experience in signing off,

eat_bricks2004

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 43.6K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...
36.2K 4.5K 59
Previously known as 'Hope'. Completed √ "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all the darkness" Everyone has a story. Some choose to...
54.5K 2.1K 55
Allie doesn't expect one semester in California to change her life. At least not until the day she runs into Jack Wyler - a mysterious guy who bears...
319 41 16
"Dad, there are a few things that a teenage girl is supposed to hide from her parents. It's a rule. Read the rule book." I told him seriously. "Okay...