Run with ME! (Haiji Kiyose X...

By YukoZuo

A 3rd year Health Science's student who enrolled in Kansei University have living her normal life quite the s... More

Morning Jog
Chikusei-so
Track and Field Club
New Sparks
First Training
Yaokatsu
Her Past
Friends?
Future Job
Reality
Iwatobi
Honest Confession
My Story
Rank
Training Camp
A Little Bit Different
Another Chance
Ouji Conquered Time!
Pray
Win and Then...?
Answer
The Beginning
The Middle (Part 2)
The Ending
After Story
The Match and The Deal
Nira's Story
Bonus (Part 1)
Bonus (Part 2)
Married Arc (Part 1)
Married Arc (Part 2)

The Middle (Part 1)

137 5 0
By YukoZuo

Sweat rolling down the side of my face as I keep my eyes on Musa's running form from the screen of my phone. Gritting on my teeth, I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What's wrong (Y/N)-san? Your face all stiff", Yuki asked, noticing my anxious expression.

"No, it's just... Musa-san is running faster than we had calculated. Can he hold out until 20 km?", I voiced out my worry as I pinch the bridge of my nose, loosening the stress that had built. It was silent for a minute until Shindou spoke.

"It's fine, I'm sure Musa is doing what he thinks is right. He's our ace after all", Shindou said in his hoarse voice, giving me a reassuring look. Inhaling for a good amount of air, I exhale out a breath to calm myself down.

"You're right, I should believe in him", I nodded with a smile, locking off my phone to take a break from watching the live show. "Ah, do you want a wet towel Shindou-san? Let's get your temperature down a bit", I said, taking out a medium-sized beaker, a small towel and a thermos from my bag. Carefully pouring some hot water into the beaker, I dip in the towel enough to dampen it. After making sure the damp towel is in the right warm temperature, I pass it to Yuki so he can help Shindou wipe his forehead and wrist.

"Musa is amazing, Kansei Uni is on the 14th. Jota should be running by now", Yuki commented, still holding the phone for both of them to watch.

"It's finally the older brother of the twin turn to run huh... I wonder who will be chosen", I mumbled, staring out the window at the fast moving scenery from inside the train.

🍂

"Jota-kun, is it fun to have a twin? I hardly met twins in my life so I was wondering...", I started the conversation with Jota while we were taking a break from practice. The other guys are doing their own stuff. Jota's eyes wander around, thinking for a moment.

"Hmm... It's fun because I have a brother my own age so we can play together. Our thinking is alike too but we are not the same in every aspect. And I know that Joji is a lot more talented than I am, even now in running", Jota answered, his eyes glance towards Joji who is talking to Kakeru.

"Is that so... Then, if I were to say that Hana likes one of you... and if she were to come and support either of you two... will you run faster than you ever would?", I asked in a teasing tone. Jota blink twice before blushing hard.

"H-Hana-chan is? O-Of course I will! I'll make sure that I can run faster than Joji!", he stuttered with a flustered expression, feeling butterflies in his stomach at my words. I giggled at the older twin's determination.

"It's only a bet though but, give it your best at the race!", I wished as he nodded with an excited smile, pumping up to do more practice.

🍂

"...No way", I said in shock, watching the current race for section 3. Sweat dropped seeing at how fast Jota is running towards the next section. I was lost for words.

"Kansei's showing a menacing final spurt. With the explosive sprint of a short-distance runner, he's climbed two ranks", the emcee said showing the footage of Jota running past two opponents. The power of love is really mysterious...

"I hope Joji can maintain his speed...", a sigh left my mouth, thinking of the youthful love story of the twin and my niece. Then, the speaker from the train announced that we have arrived at Odawara.

"We're here", Yuki said as the train stopped, arriving at our stop. Without further delay, I wear my bag and pass the backpack to Yuki. Glancing at Shindou whose face is still red from his high body temperature, I bit my lips to prevent any worries shown on my face. We are already at Shindou's section, I have to keep on encouraging him. With that thought in mind, the three of us get off from the train towards the waiting area for the participating runners.

After securing a spot for Shindou to sit and rest, I decided to sit beside him while Yuki was talking on the phone. Shindou is resting his head while hugging his knees to keep his body warm. His head must be spinning hard right now...

I let the silent engulfing us while the outside is rather loud with all the commotion from the live race. Shindou suddenly coughs, his small back shaking at each loud cough emitted from his lungs. My hand gently rubs his back to soothe his pain though I can hardly do anything to lessen his high fever. Even though he feels so hot through his clothes... the temperature is cold out here. As I thought, maybe I should-

"(Y/N)-san, don't make that face", Shindou's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Was my worried face obvious?

"S-sorry, Shindou-san. I just thought-", my gaze lower as I tried to stop myself from thinking if I made the wrong choice to encourage him.

"Read this...", he said weakly, showing me his phone. My eyes widened at the text he got from his family in the group chat. Guilt hit me as I realized that I am not doing a good job of what a real friend should do. What was I thinking? Shindou-san is fighting hard for his family and friends, I should be confident and trust him!

"I understand, I am not going to hesitate. Shindou-san, you're strong, kind and considerate. Even if you almost fall, you will get up back and finish this race. For the sake of your family and friends! I believe in you, Shindou-san", I said with confidence, lacing my every word and expression. Hearing my response, Shindou nodded and smiled weakly.

"Shindou, Haiji wants to talk to you", Yuki interrupted and held out his phone to Shindou. I move a bit to the side to give space for Yuki. Shindou takes it and brings the phone close to his right ear.

"He handed me the phone. It's me", Shindou talked to Haiji on the other line. I silently wait for them to finish talking. Once Shindou removes the phone, Yuki immediately asks what Haiji said to him. "That I'd better rehydrate", he said with a smile after a short pause. My eyes linger on Shindou's weak form. I doubt Haiji-san said that...

A few minutes later, filled with silence, Shindou suddenly got up after reading through his chat. Taking off the green scarf he wore around his neck with Yuki ready to hold it for him, he proceeded on taking off the blue coat and mask. In front of me stood Shindou in his proudly black uniform of Kansei University. His small figure looks so weak with red hue visible across his cheek up to his ears. A second after, Shindou's form swayed forward as he lost his balance. Thankfully, Yuki is fast enough to catch a hold on his thin arm. I could see Yuki is holding himself from stopping Shindou because I am currently feeling the same way he is.

"I'd better go...", Shindou speaks, his voice clearly weak after some college's name has been called. Yuki retorted back, conveying his worry of the next section towards his friend. Then, Kansei's name got called to get the next runner ready at the line. "It's okay. I promise I'll make it there", Shindou said with a smile, breathing out heavily. He pushed Yuki's grip from his arm and started taking slow steps away from us. I tightened the fist that had formed in my hand and dashed forwards, not bothering to put on my shoe.

"Shindou-san, don't give up! We'll be waiting at the finish line!", I shouted loud enough for Shindou to hear. He stops and gives me a wave from behind then continues walking in slow steps. Dropping my hand to the side, I lowered down my head while walking back to the tent. "Yuki-san, let's believe in Shindou-san", I said, looking up at Yuki with eyes filled with hope and a bit of frustration.

"Yeah", Yuki simply replied as we watched Shindou's disappearing form.

🍃

"Joji-kun, you have done your best. Now, Shindou-san needs our support", I said, crouching in front of Joji who were crying in frustration. He looked up to face me with his eyes filled with tears. "Come on, you shouldn't face down after running a whole 20 km. Listen to your senior", I shot him a grin to calm him down. Sniffing in, he wipes off his tears with the towel and gets up.

"Yes, (Y/N)-san", Joji said after calming himself down. I nod at his response, glad to have him finally quiet down.

"Shindou is still running", Yuki said as he held out his phone, showing the live broadcast of Shindou running slowly on the inclining road up to the mountain. Jota stands behind Yuki to watch the live show who is currently focusing on Shindou. Taking out my own phone, I take a seat and continue watching the live show while Hana joins the two. The air is filled with tension from the silent pressure that is killing us in invisible force as the emcee keeps on announcing the current situation.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if he stopped anytime. Will he be able to make it over the mountains of Hakone?", the emcee said as Shindou kept on running at a slow pace down the road. No... Shindou will be able to finish this.

"Boso's second-year Yanase Wataru finishes in a new section record! Boso wins the first half!", the excited voice of the emcee announced the winner for the first day of Hakone Ekiden. I keep on listening to the live through my earphone even though the area around us is loud with cheering from people. Suddenly the camera shifted to Shindou's slouching figure keeping his slow and heavy pace with Coach Tazaki jogging beside him.

"Will he stop Sugiyama and forfeit the race?", the emcee said. I clutch my shirt tightly as the scene unfolds from the screen. When Shindou stopped with his back hunched forwards, resting his arm on his shaking knees, my lips part in shock. Coach Tazaki extended his hand towards Shindou. Whether Shindou let him touch him or not, it will determine the result of Kansei's participation. My breath hitch at the thought of their race to be over. No way... this cannot be the end...

Shutting my eyes tight, I shake the negative thought away. No, Shindou-san promised that we will meet at the goal line...

Inhaling a deep breath, I blink away the tears that formed in my eyes. I believe in Shindou-san!

"Go, Shindou-san!", I exclaimed loud enough to express my full support in Shindou. I could feel the gaze of people on me but I don't need to pay any attention to any of them. As if my message has been conveyed to him, Shindou lifts his back up. My eyes widen at the scene. With his feverish red face, Shindou continued walking forwards. Each of his steps is heavy as he is trying his hardest to keep on moving until he reaches the end of the section. The spirit he has shown enough to pierce a memorable feeling in each of our hearts.

Shindou's figure swayed in unbalanced motion as he continued making his way to the goal line. Cheering from the audiences watching it live becomes louder by each second as he keeps on walking in a weak step. To everyone's surprise and even the emcee spoke in amazement at the strong will displayed by Shindou as he managed to reach the finish line after a total of 20.7 km distance.

Unfortunately, Shindou's body gave up and he fainted the moment he reached the banner. Thankfully, he was saved from hitting the ground when two familiar figures dashed forwards and caught his body. A single breath escapes my lips as a single tear escapes my eyes. Relief takes over my body as my muscles loosen. He did it... Shindou-san finished the race!

"Guys, let's go meet Shindou-san!", I said to them, getting up while wiping my tears off. A bright smile on my face. Hana, Joji and Yuki turn their attention to me. Their eyes red from crying.

"Yeah!", the two boys replied, showing me a smile too. Hana was also smiling along with us.

🍃

I listened on to their happy conversation from outside the room. The other guys on the phone, not being able to present themselves with us.

"Why don't we do that?", Shindou's voice said from the room. My ears perked up at their enthusiasm to do the usual infamous line of Aotake cheering. I decided to wait outside and give space for the guys to catch up among themselves since I do not wish to interrupt their momentary meeting before tomorrow's race. I wish I could join them...

"Heh, just kidding!", I muttered to myself, easing my envy. Suddenly, the door slid open causing me to flinch at the sudden action.

"Come on (Y/N)-san, let's do it together", the door opened revealing Kakeru who had offered me, earning a blink on my face. As if he had heard my thoughts.

"Eh, (Y/N)-san is with you guys?", King's voice asked, just knowing the fact that I was there.

"Don't just stay silent (Y/N), are you trying to act all cool?", Nico-chan said with a scoff. I bet he must be smirking from the other line.

"What do you say (Y/N)-san?", Haiji asked. I look at each of their faces, waiting eagerly for my answer. My lips tug upward.

"Of course!", I said with a wide grin, nodding in the process.

"Yosha!", King's voice erupted loudly, earning a laugh from the other guys. Taking my position beside Jota, we hold out our fist together in the middle. The guys from the other line hold out their fist in front of their screen.

"The mountains of Hakone are-?", Haiji started, pausing in the middle for the continuation.

"-The steepest in the world!!", we all cheered, finishing the line while punching our fist up to the air.

🍃

THIRD PERSON'S POV
From inside the moving train, four figure of Kansei's student sit on the four-designed chair that were arranged in two pair of opposite direction. The blonde haired younger twin sleeping soundly beside the raven haired male. Two of the boys are still awake, conversing with each other. Last but not least, the only female among the boys who sit beside the brown haired male have the weirdest sitting style. With her arms across her chest, she hung her head slightly lower causing strands of her untie hair to fall in front of her face. One look of the (h/c) haired female, we could say she is thinking deeply while in fact...

"Umm, did (Y/N)-san know about your past?", Kakeru asked after a few seconds after their conversation ended. His eyes glance towards the said female, wondering if she silently heard their conversation without interrupting. Considering it's (Y/N), she is capable of doing things like that. Haiji's eyes shift towards the thinking form of (Y/N) sitting beside him.

"Yeah, she asked me about it. I had no choice but to tell her", Haiji's eyes softened at the sight of (Y/N) sitting silently. A gentle smile formed on his lips. Kakeru watches his expression with wonder, clueless of the gaze Haiji would have whenever he looks at (Y/N).

"I can imagine that. It's (Y/N)-san after all", he said, agreeing with Haiji's answers. Suddenly, the mentioned female's figure flinched as she raised her head. The sudden movement of her surprised both male.

"Ah, I fell asleep. Sorry, did you guys mention my name?", (Y/N)'s eyes glance between the two guys, blinking in the process. She just realized that she had fallen asleep while thinking about tomorrow's race.

"Eh, you were s-sleeping?", Kakeru asked, sweat dropping at (Y/N)'s statement. All this time he thought that (Y/N) were in deep thinking and didn't even bother to interrupt them. It was a shock to him to know that she was sleeping and suddenly awake at the mention of her name.

"Hmmm... I was thinking earlier when I just realized I had fallen asleep. Then, my ear picked up someone's saying my name and I immediately woke up", (Y/N) explained while scratching her hair, messing it a bit. "What's with those surprise faces?", she asked, tilting her head to the side when she noticed the two boys staring at her with shocked expressions.

"N-No, I just-", Kakeru didn't know what to say as his eyes wandered around to search for the right word.

"Pfft- Hahahaha, you really are amazing (Y/N)-san", Haiji burst out into laughter, of course, controlling his volume in the quiet surrounding. (Y/N) had her eyebrows furrowed in further confusion at the situation. "We're just saying how helpful you are today. Thank you, (Y/N)-san", he smiled to (Y/N) after calming down from laughing.

"Okay, if you say so... You're welcome", (Y/N) replied, also smiling in response. A sigh escaped her mouth as she leaned onto the seat, stretching her arms forward. "I'm looking forward to tomorrow's race", she said to the two guys who nodded in response. A yawn escapes her lips as she covers her mouth with the back of her hand. "I'm getting sleepy again...", (Y/N) muttered while rubbing her eyes.

In a few seconds, she completely fell into deep slumber, this time with a proper form of sleeping position. Her head leaned on the seat but considering the unstable center of gravity, she unconsciously swayed to the left resulting in her head resting on Haiji's shoulder. Her breathing stable as she completely knocked out unconscious due to the amount of energy she spent on the eventful day.

Kakeru's eyes widen, feeling his cheek getting warmer at the scene in front of him. This reminded him of the romance manga he'd read from Ouji's collection. Noticing his stare, Haiji brings his index finger in front of his lips, sending a signal to keep quiet at Kakeru. Getting the signal, Kakeru gulped the lump in his throat and looked away. Red hues visible on his cheek as he stare out the window, resting his head on his palm with the help of the window's stand.

On the other hand, Haiji relaxed his shoulder to give comfort to the sleeping female who had used him as a support to lean. Not that he mind. In fact, he felt his heart warm up at their current position. Brushing off a few strands of hair from her face, Haiji's lip formed a voluntary smile as he glanced down to get a glimpse of (Y/N)'s sleeping feature. Thank you for helping me, (Y/N)-san. Forgive me but I decided to finish this race. Please keep on supporting me even if I cannot run anymore...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.4K 1.4K 40
MATURE CONTENT NOW ON PATREON (link in bio to gain access to two smut chapters) TRIGGER WARNING: suicide mentions "In Japanese and Chinese tale, it i...
247K 8.3K 17
In this story you meet Dragio. Her real name is unknown to you and everyone around here. Anyway, what happens when, one night, after a day running fr...
593 0 13
__________________________________________________________________________________ /And finally when the couple were alone, waiting for the firew...
5.6K 219 15
Deaf Bakugo AU Red string AU In the beginning of their 3rd year at UA, Bakugo finally looses his hearing. In a state of panic he pushes everyone awa...