πƒπ„π€π“π‡π–πˆπ’π‡; Tom Riddle

By tomzkaban

❝Miss Kane, Do you have a π˜‹π˜¦π˜’π˜΅π˜©π˜Έπ˜ͺ𝘴𝘩?❞ β€· A story in which, Elizabeth Kane, a supposed heir of great p... More

chapter one
character Introduction & notes
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six

chapter sixteen

851 40 13
By tomzkaban

duel;

I woke up in the astronomy tower, to my surprise alone. Tom was gone. Had I only dreamt that Tom shared a blanket with me, or had he ditched me?

Waking up after such misery was a beautiful bliss—I've never felt more relieved.

The fresh and crisp air hit my face whilst the sun-kissed it softly, and I realized how late it was. Eight-thirty in the morning. I made my way to my dorm and realized nobody was there.

They must be in class already.

I soon realized that the mourning period Headmaster Dippet had given us was over. I panicked, running around the dorm room like a deranged psychopath. After brushing my teeth, I quickly rummaged through the room for my robes and found them. I threw them on with speed and flew out the door.

My feet carried me too fast, and I barged through into our physical activity class and felt everyone's eyes instantly cling to me.

"Miss Kane, you're late. Thirty points from Slytherin." our professor mumbled quietly with an unwitting frown.

Everyone in Slytherin including Tom glared over at me and groaned in annoyance. I felt like a burden all over again.

"Move forward. Everyone pick your partner and duel on my word." our professor announced.

of coursenobody would dare to pick Tom Riddle.

Everyone scurried away quickly, consulting with friends or picking randoms. I only stood there awkwardly, what was I to do? I looked around innocently and soon found that only me and Tom stood without partners. This always happens.

I inhaled deeply, my chest becoming heavy. I'm not afraid of you, I thought as I strode towards him with false pride. I was in fact terrified of him.

"I have the devil's luck, don't I?" I said, trying to hide the unnerving creaks in my voice.

"Hm." he hummed nonchalantly, giving me the impression he was uninterested.

Seemingly, he wasn't as witty or sinister as he usually was. It only intimidated me more that he was so calm.

"Well," I stumbled on my words, thinking about something snide to say, "This is your fault!"

I finally got his attention, as his eyes lingered towards me. "What's my fault?"

"This—" I gestured between us, and Tom's delayed response only made me believe he was jaded.

"This is your fault, not mine. I'm clearly not in the mood for your jest today," he chastised.

He wasn't being playful enough. "Well, It's not my fault you're like, obsessed with me or something."

He fully turned to face me, and I could tell I was beginning to vex him. He spoke slowly as his grey eyes bore into my skin. "Don't worry, miss Kane, I'll go easy on you. If that's what you're so worried about."

"I doubt that." I grin, with challenge amidst the air.

I was determined.

I had the sudden sensation of being watched, and I saw the looks on everyone's faces as they watched me. Some looked like they were already mourning my death—they feared Tom too much. Grim frowns and sly grins, they were all watching me. Some even grimaced at my courage.

It began to render me anxious as well, all these eyes on me and hushed whispers. But what damage could a jaded Tom Riddle do in a Hogwarts class, with people of authoritiy watching?

"Of course, there should be proper etiquette and safety when dueling your partner, which is why you were tasked with reading a textbook to help you do so." our professor explained, but I hadn't read it.

"Now," professor clapped his hands together. "go!"

Everyone began dueling in their respective places and I immediately shouted my go-to defendant spell.

"Expelliarmus!" I cried, to which Tom dodged and shouted, "Stupefy!"

We both knew the spells we blundered towards each other were child's play. We had a certain look on our faces knowing that the other opponent could do much worse if it weren't for the authority people watching.

Tom and I went back and forth dodging each other's spells, and Tom seemed pleased by the amount of nonverbal magic I knew.

I couldn't help but be distracted by the amount of sabers of lights flying past me as other's dueled around us, not that I was worried they would hit us, as protective spells were casted so that only magic from our partners wand would affect us, it was just that it was distracting.

Not to mention, in the big, open space, there were no items to hide behind. Just many feet of marble flooring.

"Confundo!" shouted Tom, and he seemed rather pleased with himself as I was just too mere slow to miss it.

My vision became blurry and I began to wobble around, barely able to stand up straight. I could only see the very faint outline of the objects in front of me.

At the flick of my wand, I cursed random spells in any direction I couldn't see as a distraction so Tom wouldn't use my blindness as an advantage. He had gained the upperhand thus far, but I wasn't willing to give up just yet.

"Confundo? Are we in the first year?" I retorted, slowly gaining back my eyesight.

Tom narrowed his eyes at me, and I could tell this was much more than just a friendly duel to him. "Duro!" he shouted.

I dodged it. It was inches close to me.

"Depulso!" I shouted, the bright stride of color colliding with Tom's body.

I watched as Tom flew backward in surprise. His back hit the wall roughly, and he slid down as he hissed.

I could hear our professor yelling in the foreground to students who were dueling aswell, telling them who had been lost and who had won, and some were even disqualified for using magic that was not in proper etiquette. Because of this, the teacher had been to busy to look over at Tom and I.

He rose to his feet, his shaky hands rose up with his wand, and in a low voice he growled a single spell. "Expeliarmus."

Though, before he could, I used non verbal magic to deflect the spell he'd casted, and that's when our professor rushed over.

"Miss Kane, you aren't allowed to use nonverbal magic. Forfeit." he professed.

Tom's eyes stuck to mine, a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Suddenly, once again, all eyes were on me. Whispers and chatter filled the room. Tom had done it again.

"Yes, sir, it seems I forgot the etiquette—" I faced the professor, before turning back to Tom. "Good round, partner."

"All in good fun, Miss Kane. I thank you for your congratulations," he stated, taking my hand in his own to shake as a token of good sportsmanship.

Though I knew it was all a facade. He was enjoying his supposed win—which was only due to my forfeit.

As soon as the teacher disapeared from his view, he then returned to his usual unbothered facade, bringing himself upright. I thought all to be well, but suddenly, his eyes widened in shock and he winced in pain. He doubled over, clutching his abdomen in his hands. he hissed as he gripped tighter.

"Mr. Riddle?" I ask, speeding towards him carefully.

I suddenly collided with a hard surface, knocking me over onto the hard ground. It was Katherine, rushing towards her crush. I looked up at her backside, as she coddled Tom in questions. I scoffed as a small crowd gathered around Tom.

"Tom, are you alright?" Katherine's voice was sulky and sweet as she held his hands in hers.

"I'm perfectly fine." he spoke in a bitter passive-aggressive tone, "Excuse me, miss Malfoy." He panted as he ran off in the opposite direction.

I tried my best to follow close behind him. I watched him speed into the girl's bathroom, into a stall where I could hear him coughing up and down.

"Tom?" I call out his name, not sure if I should give him his space.

"Get out, Elizabeth." He replied somewhat angrily. "I do not require your help or anyone else's for that matter."

I didn't want to anger him any further, but I was curious enough to take the chance.

"Okay," I spoke cautiously, "Won't you tell me what's the matter first?"

I heard the stall door creak as he slowly pushed it open, his pale hands were all I saw. I waited for a few moments eagerly, anticipating something to happen at any moment. Then, he finally came out, staring at me with tired eyes.

I initially thought he looked fine, but as I came closer, I immediately noticed how pale and sickly he appeared. He was sweating and panting like a dog. We just stared at each other in silence, his rough panting making his shoulders protrude back and forth.

"I'm fine." he finally broke the silence with his rough and husky voice.

"What happened to you?" I asked, furrowing my brows in concern. In my head, I was thinking of many theories and hypotheses that would conclude his feeble state.

He didn't reply, instead, he just kept staring at me blankly.

"Come to our dorm," I said, unsure of what else to do. "Please."

"I can't afford to miss any classes," he spoke softly, closing his eyes and shaking his head to my suggestion. "Don't be absurd. I'm perfectly well."

"Riddle, I will take the blame for you if anything. I insist." I persisted with my kindness, carefully taking him by the arm.

Trying his best to not acknowledge my arm wrapped around his, he just let it happen. His body grew increasingly stiffer as we trotted toward the Slytherin dormitories.

"Maybe a bath should help. I understand you're quite fond of the cold, but, do try to use warm water."

He was eerily quiet, not responding much to my words. He acknowledged them, only with sly glances and tiny nods. Sloppily and hesitantly wandering into our bathroom, he slammed the door shut behind him.

With no one else occupying the lonesome room, cruel groans of the walls and pipes were the only sounds that filled the room, until I heard the water start to run.

I had wondered if asking him questions while he showered was too far, but, I was getting rather lonely. Bringing my hands together and picking at my nails, I stood at the door, idly.

"Elizabeth." he suddenly chimed, his voice grime.

I jumped at the sound of his husk growl, my first instinct to run, but he'd already recognized me. I ran anyway.

"I've already heard you." he professed, certain humor hidden beneath the coldness that he fronted.

I cringed. "I apologize, I understand you're sick⁠—"

"⁠—I'm not."

"Right⁠—I just wanted to ask you something." I inquired. "What is it exactly that you'd want to be when you are to get older?"

"I wouldn't think a girl like you to understand, Elizabeth. It'd be best to not involve yourself with my affairs."

"But I want to know, Tom," I confessed, sliding down the bathroom door with my back to it. "Tell me something real about you."

There was a long pause of silence after that.

"Voldemort," he replied with a single word⁠—or name.

"Voldemort?" I questioned, a million thoughts running through my mind.

What could it mean?

I knew that name. It was familiar, but I couldn't remember where it had come from. It was quiet for several moments while I tried to remember where it had come from. It was buried deep in my thoughts.

"It is a mixture of my full name. The definition—is the flight of death. I created it for use as an alias when it comes to my plans for the wizarding world's future." he explained, trying to strain his voice to reach loud enough to hear over the water running down his body.

For a moment, the room went condemningly quiet. All I heard was the water trickling down his body and the groaning showerhead as it tried its best to spur water from its failing pipes.

"Why cannot the name Tom do just fine?"

"I cannot allow my father that esteem as to have his name be feared by all of the wizarding worlds," he explained, and there wasn't an undertone of humor in his voice.

Rocky relationships with our fathers, you and I both, Tom.

"—then—should you want me to address you by that name?" I questioned.

I had only wished that he said no, I could never imagine myself addressing Tom as Voldemort.

He paused. "No. Not you."

Not me? Why not me?

"Right, okay. I won't bother you further." I replied, bringing myself off the hard marble floors.

I plopped down on my bed, waiting patiently for Tom to walk out of the bathroom. It had not taken long after that for him to emerge from the white clouds and foggy mirrors.

The door creaked open and out walked Tom Riddle. He still remained fitted in his Hogwarts uniform, sickly and pale yet trying his best to be discreet about it. The firm frown painted on his lips waned as he rolled his sleeves up to his elbows.

"Is that all you have to wear?" I joked.

I hardly ever saw him wearing anything else. In fact, I don't even remember seeing him attire any other fabric on his body.

The tip of his nose, which was now pink due to his illness, scrunched in such a way that told me I was beginning to vex.

"I am being serious, Tom. I do not wish to vex you. Wear something comfortable."

"Miss Kane—I—" he began, but he could not find the words. somewhere in his eyes, I could find his pride aching. "I don't have anything else."

How could I be such an insensitive oaf? How had the fact that Tom was indeed an orphan, who had no money, flown right over my head when I had already known?

"Oh. That's fine. I can find something for you—give me a moment." I told. "Ah, here we are."

Opening one of the drawers built into the nightstand by my bedside, I found a plain grey sweater that seemed perfectly fit to keep Tom warm in his days of illness. Upon further inspection of the mysterious sweater, my heart fluttered as I came to a realization.

This was Abraxas' sweater. The drawer, which hadn't been opened since last summer, preserved his scent because it'd entrapped his sweater, neatly tucked away inside that drawer. Catching a quick whiff of it, a wistful smile crept onto my features. I clutched it in my fingers, wanting to hold onto it forever.

Tears crept at the corners of my eyes as memories, good and bad, flooded my mind.

"Miss Kane?" Tom called from behind me.

"Yes—right. My apologies."

I turned to face him, a firm smile placed tightly on my lips. I said nothing but handed him a grey sweater.

Something that'll surely keep him warm.

Tom eyed me suspiciously, and that was when I realized that I was still gripping the sweater tightly in my clutch while Tom pulled on it.

"Does this sweater mean something to you?" he asked, stopping his motion altogether.

"No, of course, not. I—I don't know what's gotten into me," I chuckled under my breath. "Please, take it."

His grey eyes were staring daggers as he took it from my hands, and I winced ever-so-slightly.

He did nothing but scoffed. He lifted his arms in the air, his robes growing to be a little too small so that they showed his abdomen. My eyes wandered as a glimpse of his torso was shown.

He was just amidst fully taking it off until he noticed I was still present in the room. He acted as if he had forgotten. He didn't say a word, he only eyed me cautiously. I hadn't realized that I was practically drooling, and I tore my gaze away from his body and instead focused on fiddling with the hem of my skirt.

He cleared his throat, letting his arms settle at his sides as he stepped into the bathroom. When he emerged again, he stared at me with wary eyes. He looked marvelous in that sweater, but I wish that he wasn't the one wearing it, I wish Abraxas were.

"This sweater is ridiculous," he admitted.

"Yes, well, this sweater is what's going to keep you warm. I'm surprised it fits. It suits you quite well If I should say as well." I confessed.

"I'd advise you not to say anything at all—such frivolous clothing."

"Alright, fine." I shuffled in my seat. "How are you feeling?"

"You aren't my mother, Elizabeth." he raised his voice. "I do not need you nor require you to take care of me."

Have I done something wrong?

"I'm—simply trying to help. It's what friends do—we are friends, are we not?" I stammered.

A flash of remorse flickered through his cold gaze, his brows knitting together.

"Did you really ever believe we'd truly be friends?" he questioned, the remorse drained from his features. "You will always be nothing more than a mere pawn to me, get that through your brain, Elizabeth Kane."

And just like that, the moment was over. I was so foolish to ever believe that he would ever truly be my friend.

We would always be rivals. Nothing more.

"But—Tom—"

"Good," he said, storming towards the door. He paused as he gazed over his stiff shoulder.

He then slammed the door behind him, leaving me all alone.

-

I had fallen asleep on my bed, dreaming about Abraxas. Suddenly, I jolted awake, sensing someone's presence as their eyes lingered across my body.

It was Kiara, she stood staring at me with wide, suspensed eyes. I then glared over at my side, curiously, and found Tom sound asleep.

How did he get here?

"We weren't—I don't know how he got here." I stuttered and knew there was no getting out of the situation. "You have to believe me."

Though I genuinely had no idea why he was there.

"Calm down," she sighed and frowned, "I won't tell Katherine. We have more pressing issues."

"Wait, let me explain," I wanted to explain further, but she cut me off.

A million thoughts raced through my mind. What was he doing here, unprovoked? I didn't give him my permission—no, you're being crazy.

"I don't even wanna know—just listen, nobody can find Klausner and there's been a warrant out for his finding. Some believe he's been murdered! Headmaster Dippet expects all of us to be in the cafeteria right now!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 313 55
One year has passed since the fateful fall of The Ministry for Magic. A new wizarding order has risen to claim it's place under the gnarled claws of...
55.7K 2.3K 29
Severus Snape x Original Female Character After the Dark Lord emerged victorious from the war, having finally killed Harry Potter, new laws were ine...
3.6K 108 30
What if Tom Riddle had a heir that was taken? What if she is the daughter of the vampire queen? What if she was put with the Potter's? What happens w...
6.5K 280 12
β”ˆβ”ˆβ›§β”ˆ tom riddle era au ⋆* post hogwarts⋆* romantic subplot ⋆* the knights of walpurgis β”ˆβ”ˆ Three years aft...