Run with ME! (Haiji Kiyose X...

By YukoZuo

A 3rd year Health Science's student who enrolled in Kansei University have living her normal life quite the s... More

Morning Jog
Chikusei-so
Track and Field Club
New Sparks
First Training
Yaokatsu
Her Past
Friends?
Future Job
Reality
Iwatobi
Honest Confession
My Story
Rank
Training Camp
A Little Bit Different
Another Chance
Ouji Conquered Time!
Pray
Win and Then...?
Answer
The Middle (Part 1)
The Middle (Part 2)
The Ending
After Story
The Match and The Deal
Nira's Story
Bonus (Part 1)
Bonus (Part 2)
Married Arc (Part 1)
Married Arc (Part 2)

The Beginning

163 4 1
By YukoZuo

My eyes widened when Miki showed me the page. Th-this is...

Sendai J High School Track Coach Claims Incident with KK is 'in the past...' and refuses to speak...
Reveals Actual Name

"KK is that boy in your teams right? What's with them, trying to reveal someone's past!", Miki slammed the magazine on the bench with an upset face. I take the magazine and read through the article. "Reporters like this always exist to dig unnecessary information, I don't understand their motive at all. Hey (Y/N)-san, why are y-!!", Miki's mouth shut instantly as she took a look at my face. I have been silent while she is puffing in anger. She must have thought that I am not giving any response but in fact... I am trying to control my anger.

"Tch, what a childish play", I muttered, handing back the magazine back to Miki. Frown formed on my face with my pupil dilated in irritation, staring dagger at the pages. Dark aura is literally visible around me. Miki's form trembles in fear from the corner of my eyes. "Miki, I'll leave first. Reading that ruined my mood. See you...", I said with my tone seething in anger. Shutting the locker closed with a loud thump, making Miki flinch in the process, I take my bag and sling it over my shoulder.

"(Y-Y/N)-san is in dark mode!!", Miki exclaimed, clutching at the place where her thumping heart located, after (Y/N) had walked out of the changing room.

🍃

I clicked my tongue again as I walked along the side road, heading towards the park. The title of the article concerning Kakeru is still running in my mind. Those words typed by the jerk-reporter disturbed me as it reminds me of the past.

🍂

Murmurs of students could be heard as I passed through the hallway, heading to my class. It was the day after I quit the swimming club as well as I willingly withdrew from the final regional competition. My name is not that well-known among the city or sport industry but students from my school do know my face and personality. The serious-and-smart-swimmer of TAJ High School that holds the hopes of being the top winner in regional level and might be nominated as national swimmer. Sigh...what high hopes and a long title given to me by the school.

"Did you read the article this morning?"

"It's a waste she dropped off from the competition, she could raise the school's name"

"Her parents got involved in accident, she might lose her will you know"

"I can sympathize with her, she had to carry a heavy burden. The teachers also had high hopes in her too"

"Well, every person have their own limit too"

I just clicked my tongue in annoyance as I heard their mutterings. These guys and those reporters, such a nuisance. They just had to write an article of the recent activity on each finalist from the semi-final.

One of the Finalists Dropped Out from the Women's Individual 50m Free-Style in Final Regional Competition.
Parents Involved in an Accident, Substituted by Another School...

"Tch, what a childish play"

🍂

The dark memories that surfaced from my mind caused me to become less aware of my surroundings. As if I'm walking in an empty space without boundaries. Waiting for someone to wake me up from this half-reality time space. As if my wish came true, someone spoke out my name which snapped me out of my mind.

"You're (L/N)-san, I presumed?", a man called out my name. I turn to the source only to see a man in his mid 30's approaching me from the right. He had a camera hanging on his left shoulder. His face showed a smile but seemed forced to me. I didn't answer his question instead staring at him, waiting for another question. He took my silence as a cue to continue his next question.

"I've seen you with the runners from Kansei University several times. You must have read the article published today. What do you think of that prodigy runner, Kurahara Kakeru? Is he worthy of a runner to participate in the Hakone Ekiden?", he asked with a smirk, one that I want to wipe with a scrubber. I let out a sigh, taking him aback. So this is the jerk-reporter...

"I'm sorry sir, I don't think I accept any interview or feedback. If you excuse me...", I was about to walk away from him when he asked one question.

"How does 'TAJ High School Swimmer Who Quit Two Years Ago Made a Comeback with Kansei University's Ten Runners' as a title for the next article sounds to you?", he chuckled seeing me freeze at my spot. "My coworker told me about you, he had seen your face in an article two years ago. It's a coincidence to know you are close with those Aotake runners. I also heard that you joined a swimming club a few months ago. This can be a big scoop for my company. To think that the person nominated as the future national swimmer two years ago is here in Kawasaki, what a lucky fate!", the jerk-reporter rambled. My jaw clenched hard as I tighten my fist in anger.

"So, how does it feel to get your hopes back after that incident two years ago?", his voice rang in my ear as he pushed me on the edge of my inner self. My eyes widen, remembering my parent's incident and all of their previous fights. Just as I was about to be consumed by my own fear, a hand pat my shoulder.

"Sorry to interrupt but she was waiting for me. (Y/N)-san, let's go", I look behind me to see Yuki signalling me to walk away with him. Without contemplating, I follow him, leaving the man annoyed by his own.

"Thank you Yuki-san, I might have lost myself back there...", I break the silence after a minute of walking.

"Don't mind it, I just happened to pass by and saw you. Ignore whatever that dumbass said to you", Yuki said casually, keeping his eyes ahead. A plastic bag in his right hand and the other hand in his pocket. A weak smile formed on my lips.

"I always hate myself for not being able to save my parents. Not from the accident, but from divorce. I feel like I'm not doing a good job as a daughter...", I confessed the fear that always bugged me long ago. I thought that I already overcame that fear, but it resurfaced after that jerk-reporter mentioned it.

"Compared to you, I don't even be in a close relationship with my mom since she's remarried. His new husband? I haven't even met him since I started college. You've done a good job for staying by their side", he smiled, trying to cheer me up.

"I bet your mom is pretty, Yuki-san. I'm sure your mom understands, she must be thinking of you and praying hard for the Hakone", I said, grinning this time. His eyes wide in surprise for a moment before chuckling.

"Yeah, if you say so", he replied, stopping in his tracks. "Then, see ya soon (Y/N)-san", Yuki said, ready to part ways.

"Okay, see ya", I nodded before we walked our separate ways.

🍃

"Today is the last day of practice as we're going to take a break starting mid-November, 18th precisely. But that does not mean you can skip daily practice. Keep your self-training routine as usual. Don't forget to keep your health on top and more importantly, always remember the feelings you have whenever you're swimming. We'll meet again next year in Spring. That's all, dismissed!", the coach ended her speech for our final practice this year.

"Yes!", we all answer at the same time. Then, the group of female swimmers disperse, saying their thanks to the coach and go to their separate ways. After the crowd has died down, I approach the coach with Miki following suit behind me.

"Thank you very much for teaching me this year, Coach", I bowed down, a goggle and a black swimming cap in my hand. Miki also said thanks while bowing too beside me.

"You're welcome, I'm glad that you joined us. What do you say for a joint match with other universities in Tokyo next year? Of course, we'll practice beforehand", her hand gesture while offering her deal. My eyes widen in surprise as excitement bubbles up inside me.

"I-Is it fine?! Ah-I mean, I'm just restarting swimming after two years so...", I fiddled with my finger, hesitating to accept her offer.

"Don't worry, you have shown me that you are worth of a swimmer. You're a hard worker and your performance has improved a lot. So, be confident and aim as high as you can!", Coach pat my shoulder, giving me an encouraging nod. I pressed my lips tight at her words, eyes glimmering in hope.

"Yes, I'll gladly take your offer Coach!", I bowed once again, smiling wide at her. Miki pat my back, congratulating me from behind.

I'll do my best!

🍃

THIRD PERSON POV
Time passes by in a blink of an eye. The Aotake guys continue with their daily practices, spending their time together, celebrating the yearly occasion in the twin's room and praying at the shrine as the clock strikes midnight, welcoming the new year filled with hope and wishes. Carrying the same hope with the same goal in mind. Waiting for the day to come. 2nd January, the first day of Hakone Ekiden.

The same thing could be said to the (h/c) haired young women. With each day passing by, (Y/N) made sure to follow her daily practice routine as recommended by her coach. Once in a while, she would also join the Aotake guys for their running practice. Despite spending Christmas at Aotake, she chose to celebrate it with her brother's family. After all, this is the first time she celebrates any occasion with a family after two years living alone. On the night of the new year, (Y/N) had decided to join the Aotake guys praying at the shrine. Clapping her hand, she stands beside Ouji with her eyes closed, saying her prayers inside.

Dear God, bless us with the best result as a reward for our hard work...May we reach the top of Hakone and find the answer.

The time normally flew by until the fateful day arrived. Everything will begin at Hakone Ekiden.

🍃

In the cold early morning of 2nd January, the runners for section one from the participating universities are already warming themselves up inside the building. That includes a small figure in a blue coat, jogging at a particular spot reserved for Kansei University. From afar, a figure approached him from the left direction.

"You'll tire yourselves out if you move too much", the brown haired figure spoke up. The small figure lifted down his blue hoodie, revealing a blank faced Ouji catching for necessary amount of oxygen. He glanced around Haiji to check for a certain someone. Noticing his wandering eyes, Haiji opened his mouth to speak. "Sorry, (Y/N)-san couldn't come. She wanted to help Yuki", Haiji lowered his gaze, guilty for saying such a thing. Hearing his answers, Ouji shook his head slowly.

"I'm glad", Ouji said with a small smile. A relief look shown in his big hazel eyes. Haiji can't help but let out a sigh while smiling at the manga duo who are hard to understand sometimes. Proceeding to prepare himself for the race, Ouji sat down, leaning on the wall and flipped open his manga. His eyes read through the pages. At times like this, manga is the only way to lift up his spirit.

🍂

"Ouji-senpai, if you were a character, what category do you want to be?", (Y/N) suddenly asked out of the blue. Ouji, who is currently organizing the stacks of manga in his room, gives a glance towards (Y/N) who is sitting on the floor. Her eyes glued to the manga she's reading.

"Main characters have a heavy role to make sure the story's going on smoothly. Side character might not stand out as the main one but they help the main character to shine and keep the story rolling", Ouji explained while doing his job. (Y/N) hummed in understanding.

"I see... Then, I want to be the side character. I don't have the quality to be the main character but I want to help them. Ouji-senpai, if I can't make it to the first section and bid you off, I'll make sure to support you in spirit!", the (h/c) haired female saluted with a determined voice. Ouji stares at her for a second before focusing back on his work.

"Don't pay a mind about me. I also chose to be the side character. Moreover, I also want to be strong", Ouji finished as he walked up to her, holding out a manga. She looks up to see the title of the manga Ouji is holding. Her (e/c) eyes widened in surprise but soon her lips curled upwards.

"Yes!", (Y/N) said as she took the manga. Her heart leaped in excitement as she stared at the cover. The dark blue color of the sea with a pair of mermaid tails swimming downwards, deeper into the sea, leaving visible bubbles of air trailing behind. The first volume of the manga Ouji had recommended to her.

🍂

(Y/N)'S POV
I pulled up my sleeve, revealing my wristwatch. 8:00 a.m. The race has started. My eyebrows furrow as I pray a silent prayer. Give it your all, Ouji-senpai.

The sound of the door creaking open catches my attention as I look up to see Yuki walking in. He sent me a nod as a signal to take off by now. I nod back in understanding. Yuki crouches down towards the lying figure on the futon.

"I'm setting you up", he said while helping Shindou sitting up. "Want something to drink?", he asked, offering a bottle of water in his hand. While Shindou drinks the water with Yuki's help, I zipped up the bag containing Shindou's necessary stuff and made sure all the medicine was prepared in my own bag.

"Let's try standing up", Yuki said as his arms support Shindou's back to stand up. As Shindou slowly stood up though a bit slouching due to his lack of strength, I immediately folded the futon neatly and set it beside the wall. Slipping on the backpack's strap on both shoulders, I sling my bag across my chest. After the both male walk out of Shindou's room slowly, I take my turn to follow suit from behind and close the door.

A few seconds after, a thud of the wooden floor echoed through the hallway. I turn to see Shindou's slouching figure coughing wildly on the floor with Yuki beside him. My eyes widened in surprise as I reached them, crouching down in front of Shindou. After his coughing had died down, I placed my hand on his forehead gently to check his current temperature. My eyebrows knitted in worry at the warm skin of his. He's burning up...!

"I'll give you a pill later. For now, let's get into the van", I clearly instruct in a reassuring tone, giving Yuki a glance. He nods and helps Shindou to get up again and walk down the stairs carefully with me in front as I'll be driving the van to the station.

🍃

"(Y/N)-san I'll take the backpack, carrying two is heavy enough", Yuki held out his hand as we stopped at a bench for Shindou to rest while waiting for the train. I look at his hand then up to his face, a smirk formed on my lips.

"As expected of the gentlemen Yuki-san. Here, please take care of it", I passed him the backpack which he took, wearing it on his shoulder.

"I am one. Then, I'll go buy something to drink", Yuki said, twitching his eyebrows at my smirking face before walking off to buy a drink. I hummed a chuckle then took a seat beside Shindou.

"Have you calmed down a bit, Shindou-san?", I asked Shindou, with a concerned smile. He nodded and smiled through his mask.

"Thank you (Y/N)-san. I'm sure you must have planned to see Ouji off...", Shindou looked down, guilt obvious in his tone. A frown replaced my smile at his drop of tone.

"It's not something you need to worry about, Ouji-senpai will definitely do his best. More importantly, I'll make sure that all of you will finish each section properly", I look at him straight in the eyes with a determined face. Shindou's eyes wide in surprise but then close in gratefulness. He then fishes out his phone out of his Kansei's blue-colored coat. I watch him press a few buttons on his phone then place it beside his red ear, calling someone.

"Hey Musa, I just saw you on TV", Shindou said to the other line. Hearing Musa's name, I lean on the bench while hearing his conversation with Musa. Staring up to the ceiling, the thoughts of the ongoing race swirl inside my mind. Next section is Musa-san, starting at Tsurumi Relay Station. As Ouji's buying the time from the first section, he should be able to catch up with the other runners considering his current improvement.

"You can't afford to be worrying about the others", Yuki's voice interrupted as Shindou ended his call. His hand offered a bottle of drink to Shindou. Shindou only smiles and takes the drink. "And you (Y/N)-san, this is not the time to sleep!", he turned towards me with an enrage expression. I lift down my head from the ceiling to look at Yuki, standing in front of me.

"I am not, just thinking for you guys' future", I said boldly, checking on the time with my wristwatch. "The train will be here soon", I said, ignoring Yuki's glare.

"You said with that serious expression...", he sighed, scratching his hair. Shindou chuckled silently at his friends' amusing interaction.

🍃

"Totai Uni is the first to pass their sash. They're 40 seconds behind first place. Behind them are Nihonbashi and Jonan Bunka", the emcee's voice said through the earphone as I intently watched the live broadcast with my phone. It's okay, Ouji-senpai will definitely pass the sash.

"Next, we can see the first runner from Kansei University working his way", the emcee said as the camera focused on Ouji's running figure closer to the next runner, Musa. A little bit more...

"And he successfully passed their sash! Now, the race will continue on to the second section which is longer than any other section. We call it Glorious Section 2 for about 23.1 km", the emcee announced, showing the scene of Ouji passing the black sash to Musa. My hand formed a fist as I silently congratulated Ouji. Yosh, Ouji-senpai did it! Congratulations, you finally prove you're strong Ouji-senpai.

"(Y/N)-san, Ouji- Heh, you're such a softie when it comes to Ouji huh?", Yuki remarked, cocking an eyebrow. I sniffed as my finger brushed away the wet stain at the corner of my eyes.

"Shut up Yuki-san. This is normal, it's a tear of respect from a student to a teacher", I sniffed once more, glaring at the smirking Yuki sitting in front of me. Shindou chuckled again, watching us. "Musa will definitely cover the time back", I said as we continued watching the live show while riding the train to our destination for Shindou's section.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291 2 9
*DISCONTINUED* Kageyama x reader Kageyama is the same as always uptight, moody, and socially awkward. Or is that just an act? (Y/n) is an average...
248K 6.5K 17
You and Tsukki were childhood friends, but when you moved away in grade school everything changed. Now you're back, and you're both attending Karasun...
25.5K 1.1K 33
↪ when haiji's sister starts falling for a flat-faced boy ❝ i'm here with you, for you. and I wont let you go, because I just want to be by your side...
8.7K 295 23
"𝘿𝙤 𝙞𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄'𝙢 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨~" 𝙃𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙙, 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙡𝙞𝙥𝙨 𝙖 𝙛𝙚𝙬 𝙞𝙣𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨. . Y/n Hane...