Roots and Oxygen

Door SianaghGallagher

Prince Sage, the man next in line to be king, offers to nurture a dying house plant back to life. He soon rea... Meer

Chapter 1 - Rotting Roots
Chapter 2 - Inconvenient Deaths
Chapter 3 - Ghosts and Wives
Chapter 4 - Conspicuous Plant
Chapter 5 - Improper Trials
Chapter 6 - Buttons of Exoticism
Chapter 7 - Counterfeit Tears
Chapter 8 - Valuable Grievances
Chapter 9 - Catastrophic Stumble
Chapter 10 - Offensive Compliments
Chapter 11 - Confidence and Waistcoats
Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken
Chapter 14 - Greenthenor Secrets
Chapter 15 - Perplexing Pothos
Chapter 16 - Intruder's Misfortune
Chapter 17 - Invasive Desires
Chapter 18 - Shielding Leaves
Chapter 19 - Embracing Change
Chapter 20 - Broken Boundaries
Chapter 21 - Green Confessions
Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea
Chapter 23 - Epipremnum Aureum
Chapter 24 - Verdurous Pothos Legends
Chapter 25 - Hierarchy Climbing Plant
Chapter 26 - Blooming Quirks
Chapter 27 - Bizarre Normality
Chapter 28 - Amity
Chapter 29 - Queen's Spectre
Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage
Chapter 31 - Roots and Brutes
Chapter 32 - Three-Sided Penny
Chapter 33 - Tension
Chapter 34 - Worth the Risk
Chapter 35 - Individual Liberty
Chapter 36 - Green Fingers
Chapter 37 - Gold Over Gaiety
Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls
Chapter 39 - Together As One
Chapter 40 - Murphy's Law
Chapter 41 - Skeleton in the Closet
Chapter 42 - Poise, Grace, a Vengeful Face
Chapter 43 - Veiled Veracity
Chapter 44 - Precipitation
Chapter 45 - Anticipatory Anxiety
Chapter 46 - A Conscientious Companion
Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment
Chapter 48 - Vigilant Kindred
Chapter 49 - Telling Truths
Chapter 50 - Abscond
Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage
Chapter 52 - Amiable Local
Chapter 53 - Tranquil Touches
Chapter 54 - Divulge the Future King
Chapter 55 - Snow Serpents
Chapter 56 - Cognition
Chapter 57 - Rapid Torrent
Chapter 58 - Luculent Relations
Chapter 59 - Green
Chapter 60 - Insecure Confidence
Chapter 61 - Liars Lending Credence
Chapter 62 - Amende Honourable
Chapter 63 - Arduous Decisions
Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride
Chapter 65 - Royal Probity
Chapter 66 - Augury
Chapter 67 - Whited Sepulchre
Chapter 68 - Dual Crown
Chapter 69 - Room of Truth
Chapter 70 - Semblance of Normality
Chapter 71 - Desolation
Chapter 72 - Candour Queen
Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince
Chapter 74 - Duplicity
Chapter 75 - Reconciliation
Chapter 76 - Mend Fences
Chapter 77 - Genesis

Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations

7.4K 846 283
Door SianaghGallagher

"I feel like I'm on the edge of being fired," Taro said, standing in Sage's bedroom, buttoning up his black shirt. Sage had barely spoken a word to him. He had barely looked up from the wooden floor. "Am I?"

"Not yet, but you're really not making an effort here."

"Sir, then, if it really pleases you."

"It does."

No more was said between them. Sage was moody, tired, and snapping at not just his Valet. He snapped at his brother when he snuck up on him in the corridor on the way to breakfast. "You know what, I can't do this today. I'm going back to bed. Don't bother me until tomorrow."

Oxley paused in front of him. "Has what happened at the funeral really gotten to you this much?"

Sage had almost forgotten about that. "I'm just not well, and the last thing I need to do is pretend that I'm fine."

"Should we call for a doctor?"

"No, I just need to rest."

Once in his bedroom, Sage only managed to shut his curtains, slip off his shoes, and unbutton his waistcoat before falling on his bed. He fell asleep quickly out of exhaustion, but woke just as abruptly when it sounded like something tumbled over.

Sage shot up, fearing the cleaner had entered to get the plant and saw him drooling on his pillow. Instead, he saw Taro sitting on his desk where he had left the plant, wearing his casual clothes and looking startled. "What?" Sage mumbled with eyes half open. "What are you doing?"

"Go back to sleep."

Sage was so sure that the veins around Taro's face were bright green, and that his eyes were glowing in the dim light of his bedroom. He convinced himself that it was a dream and flopped back down, mumbling about dressing appropriate.

He fell back to sleep, a very deep sleep, and woke when the sky was a deep red, and the sun was a burning orange ball at the edge of the world.

He rolled over to glimpse at the clock. Dinner would be ready in ten minutes. Sage ruffled his hair and sat up. He reached over to his three buzzers, one for his Valet, one for tea, and one for food. He rang the one for food. Osier would know he wanted dinner in his room.

Sage stood by his large window and watched the sky. The sunset was beautiful but wasted on his sad eyes. His gaze kept searching beyond the Palace grounds and to the city beyond. He judged Oxley for climbing the walls, but now Sage wished for a taste of that freedom.

In many ways, he was jealous of Oxley's view on the world. He could look positively at his future while all Sage saw was an approaching storm, a storm that could only promise devastation.

When his food arrived, Sage expected a servant, not his Valet. "Mister Vinea," Sage said to show his surprise. "Are they short of staff?"

"No, I offered to bring this up." Taro put the silver tray on Sage's desk. "You have uh..." Taro peeked under the silver lid. "I don't know, sloppy stuff and a cup of tea. Enjoy, Sir." He turned on his heels, and Sage's heart leapt out of him when he asked Taro to wait.

The Valet froze, and Sage fidgeted. "If I'm to keep you on as my Valet, this awkward tension needs to go."

Taro turned, clearly expecting him to say something else. "I agree. Its been hard to focus today. I thought Osier was going to kick me out at any moment."

"I apologise for earlier. I've concluded that it sounded as though I was only concerned about myself." Sage was very aware that he was making the awkwardness even more intense. "Please, sit down." he sat on the end of the bed, and motioned for Taro to sit on his desk chair.

Taro ignored his hand gesture and sat next to him on the bed. Sage pursed his lips. Taro left only an inch between them.

"Why wouldn't you be concerned with only yourself? It's your reputation after all. I've not got much to lose if the papers turned on me. I know I can be pushy with my opinions but I just-" Taro sighed heavily. "No, I have no excuse. I had no right to disrespect your wishes."

"You were a bit pushy, and a little uncaring of my situation, but you were also right," Sage said eventually. "I am repressed, although that is for a reason. I'm sure you understand why."

"Because of the papers?"

"Not just that. I'm the future king and the line can't end with me." Sage's heart drummed so hard that he felt it all over his body. "I know my entire future, and that doesn't include me getting what I desire. So yes, I am repressed and scared to look at another man, but that's just the way it is right now."

Taro didn't speak, so Sage finally looked at him. His face was soft and sympathetic. His eyes were usually bright with defiance, but now they were shaped with concern. "I don't believe that's your only option."

"Then what do you believe?"

"I believe that you've not spoken about this to anyone, not even your parents. If they push you out, then you're free to abdicate and live your life somewhere quiet. If they don't, they'll help you be happy."

"If they don't, they might make me keep the secret and live a lie anyway. And it's not that simple. I'll never be out of the public eye, no matter how hard I try. It's bad enough that I stuff myself into this room all the time."

"If they do make you live a lie, then threaten to abdicate the throne. I'm sure the thought of Oxley taking the crown is worse than the thought of their future king being gay."

Sage's head snapped up. He tensed all over. Someone else said it. Someone else knows. He wanted to recoil and go into full attack mode, kick Taro out of his room, out of the Palace, out of his life.

"Even that word has you all anxious. You can't live like this." Taro shifted on the bed. His shoulder touched Sage's shoulder. "I've decided that I'm a blessing in your life."

"I- uh, what?" Sage stammered.

"I'm not exactly on the straight side of life, in fact, I dip regularly into the bendy side if you know what I mean." His smirk returned. "You've obviously never met a- not straight person. I don't blame you. This place is so full of tradition and rules, and none of them have adapted around positive changes, such as a Prince being... not on the straight side."

Sage could barely breathe. Am I really having this conversation with my Valet, my new Valet, a man I barely know? "If my brother walked in and saw us sitting this close, I would jump off the bed and make up some excuse about you fixing a button. I would explain and explain until I was sure I was safe." He swallowed thickly. "I don't feel safe right now."

"Because you're exposing yourself. This is good, and this is why I can help. From one not so straight person to another, in a place like this, we have to stick together. I'm sure Osier would fire me on the spot if he knew."

"All the more reason to keep this a secret, forever." Taro chuckled, and Sage frowned at him. "Nothing about this is funny."

"You're so dramatic, it's both cute and annoying." Taro got up. Sage's blush had spread to the rest of his face. "I won't speak a word of this to anyone because I run the risk of my face being all over the papers too. Trust me, I don't want that, as much as I love my face."

Sage didn't move from the bed. His expression was as stunned as ever.

Taro sighed and grabbed him by the shoulders. "You need to eat something." He dragged the Prince to the desk and sat him down. He shoved a cup of tea in one hand and a fork in the other.

Sage only stared at him. "Please don't tell anyone about this conversation," he whispered.

"I would never do that. I guess I have much to lose too, this job being a start. I didn't know Valets got paid so much." Taro tilted his head when Sage sipped his drink. "So, I won't be fired then?"

"No. Please don't make me regret it."

"I won't." Taro dared to reach out and touch Sage's chin with the tips of his cold pale fingers. Sage's hazel eyes widened and finally connected with his. "I promise, Sir."

Sage pulled back his chair and Taro's fingers slipped away. "Good." He cleared his throat. "You're dismissed for the evening. I'll see you at dawn. I have a busy day tomorrow."

Taro bowed his head ever so slightly. His blond hair fell in his eyes and he left with a higher head than when he entered. Once the door shut behind him, Sage put down his tea and rubbed his face. He slumped in his chair and sighed until his lungs had no air.

His mind raced, while his body was so exhausted, he couldn't bring himself to raise his fork to the plate. "Did that just really happen?" he said aloud. Someone was out there who knew his secret, someone Sage barely knew but decided to trust.

Taro was right, Sage was exposed. He was yet to decide if that was good or bad. So far, his nerves would decide on the latter. However, his heart thumped with a new sound, one of triumph and pride that he had finally admitted the truth, and not just to himself, but to another living human being.

Sage shook his head and grinned into his palm. If he didn't laugh, he'd cry for the rest of the evening, and his tears often turned sour.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

753K 34.2K 28
Princess Charlene was having a normal day at the castle when hell let loose. The enemy kingdom decided to attack and kill the royal family but what h...
859 5 13
A story where the princess, Sage Heart realizes She has magical powers and has to go to alfea for help. With her powers, and the princess thing some...
572 162 25
Sage grew up living a chaotic life along with his five friends. The six boys aren't normal, but try to live a normal life. Things take a twist when t...
2.4K 60 36
For as long as time itself can remember, there are the classic stories. These stories always depict the valiant prince coming to save the beautiful d...