Ink Slinger

By Freya_38

My skin is her canvas... More

ONE (Iselen POV)
TWO (Iselen POV)
THREE (Iselen POV)
FOUR (Ruby POV)
FIVE (Iselen POV)
SIX (Ruby POV)
SEVEN (Iselen POV)
NINE (Iselen POV)
TEN (Ruby POV)
ELEVEN (Iselen POV)
TWELVE (Iselen POV)
THIRTEEN (Iselen POV)
FOURTEEN (Iselen POV)
FIFTEEN (Iselen POV)
SIXTEEN (Iselen POV)
SEVENTEEN (Ruby POV)
EIGHTEEN (Iselen POV)
NINETEEN (Iselen POV)
TWENTY (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-ONE (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-TWO (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-THREE (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-FOUR (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-FIVE (Ruby POV)
TWENTY-SIX (Ruby POV)
TWENTY-SEVEN (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-EIGHT (Iselen POV)
TWENTY-NINE (Iselen POV)
THIRTY (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-ONE (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-TWO (Iselen POV)
THIRTY-THREE (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-FOUR (Ruby POV)
THIRTY-FIVE (Iselen POV)
THIRTY-SIX (Iselen POV)
EPILOGUE (Iselen POV)

EIGHT (Iselen POV)

1.7K 95 54
By Freya_38

Pic: Brillance Tattoo Studio in Boston. 

"It looks different... and it feels completely different too," I whisper standing near the studio entrance door.

The brick wall illuminated by the sunlight coming from the window, the blue shelves, the dark wood counter, the gorgeous light green velvet couch, plants in pots everywhere... Everything looks very much the same, nothing has changed since the last time I was here... but I'm not an outsider anymore. I'm not that girl who came with Savannah sometimes and watched from the sidelines how a group of sophisticated women lived their best life in New York, I work here now and I'm one of them... At least, that's what they seem to think. I'm not as sure as they are and my mind is a whirlwind of emotions: fear, excitement, confusion... to the point I'm almost missing the boring life I was living a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure how I got here, well, actually yes: it was my goddaughter's fault.

"It's easier to do what Ruby tells you than arguing with her, Iselen. Don't waste your time fighting... you won't win," Savannah explained me while we waited sat on some armchairs of the clinic for news about Louisa and her baby. Little Diana Siena arrived to this world crying at the top of her lungs but healthy and beautiful and I had the honour of holding her in my arms first, even before Ruby did. Suddenly, the baby stopped crying and her blue eyes stared at me seriously like she understood the importance of the moment... I knew it, while holding Diana in my arms I knew I'd do whatever necessary to protect her and watch her growing up happily and if I had to kick the ass of the hunter in my mind to achieve that goal and embrace my grandma's legacy, I'd do it.

And that's why I'm here one week later despite the anxiety is making my stomach hurt, maybe I should've had something more than a coffee for breakfast... My former boss found a substitute for me way before I expected, "your job isn't complicated and you're not essential" he told me with an offensive tone of voice but never understood he was doing me a favour, and Ruby explained me she had an appointment early in the morning and would open the parlour, I could arrive later and she'd give me the alarm code and show me how the shutters worked when it was time to close. The extra hour I was able to sleep this morning felt great, honestly.

"Wow..." I whisper shocked, walking behind the counter and leaning my hand on the dark wood. "I feel powerful , this perspective changes it all... Even the parlour looks different from this point of view."

"It's because of the sisterhood..." I turn around startled to look at Thyra who's leaving her backpack on a chair of the small office behind the reception counter, where the artists can use different computers and art supplies to design their tattoos. "This building is impregnated with our magic and good energy, it makes you feel great, most clients can feel it in an abstract way and this is why they come back for more tats, but sensations are pretty intense when you're a witch..."

"I'm not a witch," I whisper and the young Jamaican girl smiles while fixing her unsettling green eyes on my face. I believe she's able to read my mind for a second...

"You are, Iselen, and a very powerful one only you haven't developed your full potential yet... Wait and see... You're going to be the hit of the city in a few months."

"Who, me?" I ask puzzled and cautiously while she gets closer and turns on the computer on the counter.

"We aren't the only coven living in NY, my friend, not to talk about hundreds of lone witches and the ones that come for a visit. But don't worry about that now, your main concern must be this book." Thyra points at the cover made of black leather of a big book. "Louisa's appointment book, she notes down everything: the name of the client, their phone, what kind of tattoo they want, if this is their first session or they're regulars..."

"My handwriting isn't that beautiful," I warn her turning some pages slowly.

"It doesn't matter, the only thing Louisa wants is clear information. Of course, she also keeps a record of the appointments on the computer for us to check our schedule from our phones and there's a file for every client but she wants a paper copy. She likes old school things..." Thyra sighs and stares at me pensively before grimacing. "This will be a chaos at first but it won't be your fault so don't be nervous, okay? Louisa knows how much time it takes for us to get the ink done for certain big tattoos after many years working with us... On the contrary, you must ask us every time a new client calls before making an appointment, we don't want our waiting room crowded with people due to lack of foresight."

"I understand..."

"The second important thing you must know is that this is the supplies cabinet..." The Jamaican girl cuts me off pointing behind her back with her thumb. "Look at that, everything is neatly stored... Every tattoo station inside the cabinets stores the supplies we need for two or three days but we'll come here to get more eventually to fill them again... You need to take a look every day and order more supplies before this cabinet gets empty. You'll find old invoices in that folder along with our suppliers' phones, check them to know how many ink bottles you need to order..."

"I'll keep that in mind..."

"The third important thing you should know is that I'm a voodoo queen, like Annah... I'm aware of the fact that our religious practices have, we could say, a bad rap so I'm going to ask you to keep an open mind and do not believe all that bullshit urban myths tell about us, all right? At least till we get to know each other better..."

"Thyra, listen..." I flop down on the stool behind the counter because I'm feeling a bit dizzy, I should've had something more for breakfast apart from that coffee. "My ancestors were investigated by the Church centuries ago because some narrow-minded neighbours were scared of what they couldn't understand and they reported them... I know exactly how it feels when a bunch of reactionary assholes judge you and I wouldn't do something like that. Despite being a druid, my grandmother never slit the throat of a man and threw him into a peat bog to sacrifice him to the gods..."

"Well, I know a handful of idiots who deserve a punishment like that, even if it's going a bit too far, I guess..." The beautiful woman with caramel skin winks at me. "But I understand what you mean, clichés are ridiculous sometimes. My client is here..." Thyra points at one of the opaque glass doors and the girl walking through the main door nods, I guess she's a regular. "You know where to find me if you need anything... Oh and my client has paid in advance with a credit card... I think Ruby will explain that better than me."

"Explain what?"

My boss, the woman with the face of an angel, the eyes of a fairy, a chiselled jaw that could cut diamonds and the most sensual lips in the universe, walks out of her cabin and says goodbye to her client waving her hand before getting closer and leaning her tattooed arms on the counter, looking at me confused. I swallow hard while my stomach turns painfully and understand my breakfast isn't the problem, it's the hunter in my mind who doesn't like this powerful witch because she's able to bewitch me every time she smiles. Suddenly, I feel like throwing up and my anxiety skyrockets... Embarrassing myself in front of my boss the first day in my new job it's the last thing I need right now.

"Payment methods," I whisper when I realize that Thyra has left me to my fate and we're alone.

"Oh yes, advanced payment by card or PayPal or whatever the client prefers if possible. This way we're sure they'll come to the appointment and we won't waste our time and, besides, I don't like having lot of cash in the parlour... it attracts thieves. We close at 9pm and don't accept clients after 8:30pm... No matter how much they beg: no closers in my business."

"Closers?"

"Yes, you know, people who come at 8:30pm and expect you to stay to do a three-hour piece covering the entire back... No way. Iselen, are you okay?" Ruby looks at me frowning and I nod despite I'm feeling more and more dizzy.

"Yes, I haven't... had much for breakfast."

"There's a kitchenette at the back of the parlour, Thyra always has fruit and yogurt in the fridge and Lester has a sweet tooth so the cabinets are always full of donuts and other snacks. Eat whatever you want... I'm so happy you're here, honestly." The beautiful tattooed goddess walks around the counter to get close to me slowly and, even if I'd love to move a step back to escape from her, I'm afraid I'd land on my ass on the floor if I get up. "Tell me, have you thought about your next tattoo? What design would you prefer?" Ruby leans forward and her lips graze mines playfully but I pull away slightly feeling my mouth getting filled with saliva, some white sparks are dancing in front of my eyes and a cold sweat coats my skin... I'm going to throw up, definitely...

"This is workplace harassment," I complain through my gritted teeth.

"What the fuck are you talking about? What the hell is wrong with you today? Iselen?" My boss leans her hand on my cheek to force me to move my face and look at her but she changes her mind, blinking surprised while sliding her soft fingers to my forehead. "You have a fever... Damn it..." Her arms enclose my torso holding me tight against her body and I can feel it: the spell whispered in my ear, her hot breath fanning my skin... My muscles get relaxed and I lean against her meekly holding back my sob of relief, pain vanishes and my stomach feels fine again, the hunter draws back in my mind hissing furiously but he can't fight against Ruby's power.

"Thank you..." I whisper enjoying her perfume, it's a familiar and delicious scent that floods my mind with erotic images: filthy kisses, moans, her hot tongue circling my nipple, my body shuddering under her mouth... I've missed her so much, how is that even possible given that I hardly know her?

"Iselen..." Her harsh tone of voice grabs my attention but I don't pull away, Ruby hugs me tighter and sighs frustrated. "Listen to me: I let you go back to your tiny apartment after the baby was born because you were tired, feeling overwhelmed by the situation and you needed a break but this is over. You're a member of this coven and I'm the leader, you may think this is a democracy because important decisions are voted on by the sisters... and Lester... But in the end, my word is law... And they obey me..." I look up to be able to stare at her angrily but my boss raises an eyebrow and smiles amused. "You can look at me with a furrowed brow for as long as you want but you'll obey me too, babe..."

"Who do you think you are?" I growl furiously trying to push her shoulders but Ruby is stronger than me or she's using magic, I don't know, but she doesn't let me go: I'm leaned on the counter all of a sudden and her body sticks to mine while she looks right into my eyes.

"I'm the High Priestess of this coven, a powerful witch and your boss so I'd like to make two things quite clear: first of all, if the hunter in your mind makes you feel sick, you must tell me immediately so I can help you."

"All right," I growl reluctantly, the truth is that whatever she whispers in my ear works very well and I'm sick of feeling my stomach doing somersaults every time one sister gets too closer to me.

"Good girl... And secondly, we're going to continue to explore this thing we have. I'm your boss but also you're lover, your partner, your girlfriend or your thing... Call me whatever you want but this..." Ruby Rose points at my chest with her index before pointing at hers. "This is real and you can't escape from it, am I clear? I won't let you do that. If fact, you'll put an end to that habit of running away: from witches, from magic, from your feelings, from your legacy... We're going to deal with it together from now on, you and me and the coven. Babe, you aren't alone..." The tattoo artist whispers with a gentler tone of voice when she notices that my eyes are shining due to unshed tears. "You're a member of this family now and we take care of our people but you need to let us help you..."

"I'm not a weak child," I complain and Ruby chuckles, shaking her head.

"Of course you are not, you're the most stubborn, exasperating and wonderful druid I've ever met... Even more than Vinnia, but don't tell her." My boss winks at me and I nod, sighing while I put my arms around her waist. "Although you have to put aside your stubbornness now to make an important decision: either you move to my house or you let me cover the walls, floor and ceiling of your tiny apartment with protection spells, that will make you feel sick most likely, and you'll also have to get used to see me around very often... I guess you understand that moving to my home is the practical thing to do."

"What..? But... How...?" I stare at her with my mouth open, completely floored.

"You think it's too early, don't you? The truth is that we hardly know each other but you know how lesbians are... We go living together two months after our first date with a woman, get engaged six months later and get married on our first anniversary." Ruby laughs her ass off while I keep looking at her in disbelief. "All right, I won't propose yet but you can come for dinner and take a look at my apartment tonight... I'll introduce you to my cat."

"Do you have a cat?"

"No, she has a little Satan helper, actually." Lester comes into the parlour, walking across the waiting room and down the wide corridor that leads to the back room without stopping. "And she hates me."

"Morgan is a lovely pet but you stole her bacon snacks and ate them all," Ruby yells angrily but keeps her arms around my waist. "That's why she scratched you!"

"I didn't know it was cat food!" Lester yells his answer from the small kitchen, I know it because I can hear him opening the fridge.

"There was a cat drawn on the bag! Oh, forget it..." My boss shakes her head, frustrated, and looks at me again pouting. "Will you come to my home tonight?"

"All right," I whisper stepping back and this time she lets me move. "I'll meet Morgan... but it doesn't mean I'm moving in with you or anything like that..."

"Stubborn..." Ruby smiles amused. "I love a challenge. Luckily for you, my next client is here but we'll finish this conversation later... Talk to Lester if you need to eat something, he's the expert in second breakfasts... I believe he was a hobbit in a former life. Hello, Mark. Are you ready to finish that sleeve?" My boss vanishes inside her cabin and I sigh relieved. I think I miss those weeks when the darling of the cultural scene in New York ignored me, Ruby's too intense, her personality is overwhelming, not to talk about the power that swirls around her and that I'm able to feel now. I feel like I'm swimming in a white water river, fighting against the current to stay afloat, but she's so attractive and fascinating while dragging me to the depths... I hope I won't drown although I'll be happy if I survive my first day here for now and I'll need a very caloric boost to achieve that.

"Lester, I've been told you're the expert in breakfasts." I smile walking into the back room, the tall guy with shaved head and his arms covered with tats is sat on an armchair sipping at a cup of coffee and chewing a madeleine. The sunlight comes bright through the French doors that lead to a gorgeous garden patio. "Who's in charge of taking care of these plants?"

"Louisa watered them usually, I guess it's your job now, but Ivy takes a look at them from time to time too. You should ask her about how to take care of them, I'm not an expert in herbs and plants even if I'm a witch... There's freshly made coffee, tea in that tin and hot water ready in the boiler, juices in the fridge... Take whatever you need from the cabinets."

"Those madeleines look delicious and I'll drink juice, another coffee would be a bad idea... Can I ask you a question?" I flop down on an armchair next to him and chew the fluffy delicacy that tastes of lemon.

"Yes, men can be witches too and no, we aren't shamans. We're real witches."

"I know, there was a good amount of men charged with witchcraft in central Europe, not only girls were burnt... What I wanted to know is... Ruby told me you're good at finding things... How does that work?"

"Oh, you mean that... Well, I use a pendulum and a map usually, it moves in circles and points at a spot in the end, I find things or people faster if I'm connected to them somehow: my family and friends, prized possessions... Or if a person who's connected to the one I'm trying to find is standing next to me, like Ruby and you... the tattoo on your skin helped too and the fact that you're the tenth member of our coven." The boy cleans his fingers on a paper napkin and gets up to grab two madeleines from the bag before giving me one.

"It seems useful, how did you notice you had this gift?"

"When I was a kid, I was finding things all the time: little treasures, gorgeous coloured stones, iridescent shells on the beach, the hairpin of a classmate that she lost in the school gym... And sometimes I don't need a pendulum, I just know where some people or things are, I don't know how... Information comes to my mind like a flash. But I'd never done it deliberately till I met Ruby at a tattoo artist convention and she realized what I was. The girls come from families where their mothers, grandmothers or aunts are witches... I didn't know what this was all about back then."

"I guess you were very surprised..." I get up to throw my empty bottle to the bin and wash my hands in the small sink.

"Oh yes, I freaked out at first, although I admit I asked Ruby to teach me some witchcraft lessons because I thought I could use my gift to find a girlfriend... Unfortunately, that's the only thing I'm unable to find."

"Maybe you should stop trying hard and let nature take its course..."

"No offense to the goddess... but Mother Nature works really slowly sometimes." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 2.3K 33
A white canvas has limitless potential. This is a Stella Carlin fanfic, but not a OITNB fanfic.
6.6K 270 7
Inch a little closer... Reneé Rapp x Female OC Reneé Rapp x Val Werhman
45.5K 2.9K 32
I destroyed my enemy when I made her my lover...
117K 5K 49
Sex, drugs, rock and roll... and leather jackets.