Chapter 19

The three Gryffindors came to a halt, their eyes widening at Filch's sight as they stared at him without blinking.

But the silence was broken when Jenna suddenly yelled, "RUN!"

On cue, the three turned around and ran as fast as their feet could carry them, with Filch following after them abruptly, yelling for them to stop.

"WHERE WAS THE DAMN COMMON ROOM!?" James shouted as they kept running, turning each corner and trying to add to their speed.

"STOP THIS INSTANT!" Filch roared out, trying to catch up with them.

Everything happened quickly. Just then, Sirius let put a loud cry when he slipped and fell to the ground, spraining his ankle. He tried to get up and keep on running, but he kept limping.

  "Jenna, wait!" James suddenly stopped, quickly holding onto his sister's arm to prevent her from going any further. "We need to help him!"

Jenna turned to look behind her in horror. Filch had just turned the corridor, rushing toward them angrily.

"C'mon!" said James when he saw that she was hesitating. "It's either all of us, or none of us!"

Without waiting for her, James ran toward Sirius who was still trying to limp forward. Giving up at last, Jenna ran back and with the help of James, they each threw one of Sirius's arms around their shoulders, trying to help him escape.

But not ten seconds later, Filch finally caught up with them and grabbed onto the back of their robes, holding them back.

"I'll get you little devils expelled for this," he growled while panting for air, dragging them all away.

***

Once Filch got them to his office, he ordered them to stay put as he went out to fetch Professor McGonagall. Although none of them seemed bothered by this as they kept sniggering, holding back snorts of laughter.

Around fifteen minutes later, the door to Filch's office burst open and an enraged-looking Professor McGonagall came into the room, followed by Filch who had a nasty smirk on his face.

"Unbelievable! Outrageous!" She yelled, shaking her head at them furiously. "Three students out of bed after curfew! Sneaking into the kitchen — however on earth you've found that on your second day here is beyond me!"

"Well —" James opened his mouth to explain with a grin, but Professor McGonagall cut him off sharply.

"Silence, Potter!" she snapped. "I've never seen such behavior! And I certainly never expected to see three students in my own House break such rules! You will receive detention! And I'll be sending owls to all of your parents tonight!"

Jenna then noticed that for the first time tonight, Sirius's expression suddenly changed and he started to look worried at those words, his smile fading away as he looked down. It was the same look that he had on his face when he was sorted into Gryffindor.

Filch looked rather disappointed. He had probably hoped to either get them expelled, or at least hang them from the ankles in the dungeons.

"Now off to your beds!" said Professor McGonagall sharply. "If I catch you out of the common room after curfew one more time, you will all be expelled! Go, immediately!"

Sirius, James, and Jenna then quietly left Filch's office, returning back to the Gryffindor common room.

Despite McGonagall's warning, of course this wasn't going to be their last time sneaking out of their dorm after midnight. But the next time, they were certainly going to make sure that they wouldn't get caught.