Chapter 84

Remus and Peter stared back at the other two boys as though they had finally lost their minds.

     "Very funny," Remus said blankly, turning around to leave the corridor. But James was quick to grab ahold of the back of his cloak, dragging him back forcefully.

      "Do we look like clowns to you?" James crossed his arms furiously.

      "Do you really want an honest answer?" Remus said wittily.

      "Don't give us that sass, Lupin! Just hear us out, will you?" Sirius snapped.

      "Look, it's a brilliant idea!" said James with great determination in his voice. "We've been doing lots of reading in the past week — that's how much we want to do this — and we know for sure that werewolves don't attack animals, only humans. It's the perfect solution!"

     "A solution to what!?" Remus questioned sharply. He still didn't want to believe that they were suggesting such a thing.

      "A solution for you!" Sirius retorted. "There might not be a cure to make you stop transformating during full moons, but we have found a way to transform with you! We want to become Animagi!"

      Remus gaped at them, lost for words. His mouth had gone dry, his heart pounding against his chest.

      "Wait, so you weren't kidding?" Remus asked with wide eyes as they shook their heads earnestly. "I — but — why?"

      "For you, you brainless git! Weren't you listening!?" James laughed. "If we turn into animals, we can accompany you during full moons, and then... well..." he smiled, before saying softly, "you'll never have to be alone ever again."

      "No! Nuh-uh! Absolutely not!" Remus shook his head frantically, taking a step back from them. "Didn't you hear what McGonagall said? It's too dangerous! Not to mention illegal!"

      "Oh, so what!?" Sirius rolled his eyes, though he was now grinning again.

      "Yeah! What's life without a little risk?" said James, mirroring Sirius's grin.

      "I don't think this is good idea. I really don't..." Remus whispered distantly, looking down with a frown.

     "Oh, come one, Lupin! It would be fun!" said James enthusiastically, throwing an arm around Remus's shoulders.

      "Exactly!" Sirius nodded keenly. "Imagine all the possibilities!"

      "We will be unstoppable!" James said dramatically, as though in a play. "The world will bow to us and our limitless powers!"

     They all sniggered at that.

     "Pete? How about you?" Sirius then asked, turning to face him. "Are you on board?"

  Peter was the only one who remained quiet, fumbling with the hem of his shirt. He wasn't certain if this whole thing was a good idea.

     "I'm not sure..." he muttered worriedly. "Professor McGonagall said it was going to be a hard process... I mean, what do we even have to do? Do a spell or something?"

      James and Sirius fell silent, glancing at each other unsurely. As it seemed, neither of them had any idea how they were supposed to become Animagi in the first place.

      Sirius shook his hand to indicate how easy it was going to be for them. "We'll figure that out later, don't worry. There was nothing written about it in our Transfigurations books in the library, but I'm sure we can find it if we all work together."

      James smirked. "I have an idea."

***

Jenna's definition of a peaceful day was when she didn't have to deal with her brother and his friends, specially Sirius Black. Trouble seemed to follow them no matter where they went or what they did, and seemed impossible to stay away from them for even a day.

After leaving their Herbology class that day, Jenna walked down the hall with her friends, admiring Alice's Bowtruckle named Woody; he was in Alice's pocket with his head out, looking around curiously. That was when Jenna heard a familiar voice calling her from behind.

     She sighed. Of course she wasn't meant to know peace as long as those four lived in the same school as her.

"Oi! J.P!" Jenna turned around at her brother's voice, seeing that he was walking toward them from the other end of the corridor, with Sirius by his side.

"You guys go ahead. I'll see you in the Great Hall for lunch," Jenna told her friends, already knowing that this was going to take a while.

Before they could turn to leave, James threw a smirk at Lily's direction, saying, "Looking good today, Evans."

"I didn't ask, Potter," Lily said blankly, sending him one last cold glare before turning on her heel and walking away with Alice and Marlene.

James's hazel eyes lingered on the red-headed girl as she left, his smirk growing. "Ooh, feisty. I like that."

Her teeth gritting together, Jenna smacked him at the back of his head.

"Ouch! Why!?" James frowned, rubbing the back of his head in pain as he glared at his sister.

"I told you this before, and I'm telling you again," Jenna started in a warning tone, pointing a finger at him right bellow his chin, "Don't even think about it."

"About what?" James shrugged obliviously as he grinned, but Jenna could tell that he knew exactly what she was talking about.

"What do you two want?" Jenna asked, trying to get them quicker to the point so she could go and have lunch with her friends.

James and Sirius's mischievous grins grew wider at those words. Jenna groaned, already regretting it.