Chapter 49

To say that the conversation with their parents had left James and Jenna traumatized and disgusted was an understatement. It wasn't that they hadn't known anything already, but having to sit there for an hour and hear their parents talk on and on without puking was certainly a challenge for them.

     But they finally managed to forget all about it in the weeks that followed, busying themselves with playing Quidditch in their backyard or — with much difficulty — writing their essays that were set for them to do over the break. It was the History of Magic homework that took the most energy off them to write, and it took the longest to finish.

     Despite the fact that they were going to miss having this much free time on their hand, the Potter twins still felt excited to go back to Hogwarts and see their friends again in the upcoming year. They also couldn't wait to learn more advanced magic in their second year. Although the two of them wished that they could practice magic at home with their wands, but they were still underage and had a long way ahead of them before reaching seventeen.

     With the summer break drawing to an end, James and Jenna had convinced their parents to take a day off work so they could all play a game of Quidditch together as a family, for old times' sake.

     At the break of dawn, Euphemia and Fleamont shot awake as the door to their bedroom opened and a cheery Jenna with bright orange hair burst into the room with excitement.

    "Mum! Dad! Wake up!" she squealed happily.

     Mr. Potter groaned and closed his eye again, drifting back to sleep as quickly as he had woken up just seconds ago. Mrs. Potter only chuckled as she saw the glimmer of excitement in her daughter's hazel eyes, and so she sat up on the bed sleepily, giving her a smile.

    "I see you're all ready to go," said Mrs. Potter, looking over at Jenna who already had on the special robes she always wore for playing Quidditch.

     "Yup!" Jenna nodded with exhilaration.

     "Is James up?" Mrs. Potter asked as she got out of bed, pulling her long blonde hair into a low bun.

      "Yes, he is," Jenna replied. At those words, Mrs. Potter couldn't help but to notice the mischievous grin appearing on her lips. "He didn't look too happy about it, though."

     "Of course I wasn't!" They turned around at the voice, seeing a grumpy-looking James standing at the bedroom's doorway. "She pushed me off the bed when I wouldn't wake up!"

"Served you well!" Jenna retorted.

     "Ugh... what's with all the noise?" Mr. Potter groaned again from where he laid in bed, trying to look around through half-open eyes.

     "We promised we would take the kids to play Quidditch, remember?" said Mrs. Potter, sending him a look.

    "Right... right..." Mr. Potter nodded sleepily, giving a wide yawn as he pushed the blankets off him.

     James and Jenna couldn't suppress their sniggers at his sight. Mr. Potter always used many potions in the morning for his hair to make it look better, but right after waking up, his black hair was even messier than James's, and that was saying something.

Once all the Potters got ready for the journey, they went down into the kitchen, where Mickey had packed a picnic basket and had set it on the kitchen counter. The basket had a small Undetectable Extension Charm cast upon it, so they could fit their four brooms and Quidditch balls in it.

After breakfast, Mrs. Potter gave James and Jenna an apple each to eat on the way, and so they left the Potter Manor as the sun began to rise in the horizon.

Their backyard was where the twins had learnt how to play Quidditch and it was where they usually practiced. But once or twice a year, they would all go to a meadow on top of the hills near their house to play. They would always wake up at dawn and take a half-an-hour-walk up the hill, so they could get there early enough to cast the Muggle repellent spells.

"Why can't we use magic like normal people do!?" James groaned, starting to get out of breath as they kept on walking.

"The exercise is good for you, Jamesie-boy," said Mrs. Potter, and James scowled at the nickname. "Now finish your apple."

"Can I have the sandwiches?" he asked, throwing an unsatisfied glance down at the red apple in his hand.

"No, they are for lunch," his mother replied firmly. James kept mumbling to himself grumpily as he took a bite of the apple, his eyes fixed on the basket where all the delicious food were.

     "We're here!" Jenna squealed after long minutes of hiking, running the last few feet.

     She stood on top of the hill, looking down at the meadow as the golden sun beamed down all across it. The field was full of wild flowers and dandelions. There was also a small lake nearby, next to which they would always set their picnic blanket and enjoy the warm summer weather and the cool breeze that passed by every once in a while, bringing with itself the scent of the flowers.

    Once they set down the basket on the top of the picnic blanket, Mr. Potter took out the brooms and handed one to each of the Potters. As soon as James and Jenna got their brooms, they mounted them and shot to the air.

Soon, they were joined by their parents. Jenna paired up with Mr. Potter and James was in the same team as Mrs. Potter. And so, with the Quaffle in hand, they started the game.