Chapter 90

Jenna yelled and took a step back from the open window, outside which someone was sitting on the windowsill, also yelling in horror.

    "What the hell is g — MERLIN'S BEARD!" Marlene screamed in return from where she was laying on her bed, her eyes catching sight of the person.

     "James! What on earth are you doing here!?" Jenna shouted at her brother, her eyes still in shock.

     "I'm stuck, okay!? I'm stuck!" James yelled back while he was seated on the windowsill outside the girls' dorm, tugging at his cloak which seemed to have been stuck.

"Oh, goodness!" Lily gasped who had rushed out of bed with her wand already in her hand, sighing in relief when she realized that it was just James Potter, and not a mass murderer with a knife.

"Ah, Evans! Good, you're here! Just the person I was looking for!" James said cheerfully as he let out a nervous laughter, all the while sitting on the windowsill and tugging at his cloak.

"Excuse me?" Lily said sternly, folding her arms.

"J.P, what are you doing here!?" Jenna repeated herself, still staring at him with wide eyes, though she was beginning to feel more angry than surprised now.

"Yeah, I would like to know too." Marlene nodded eagerly, her sleepiness vanishing for good as she got out of bed along with Alice.

"And how did you get up here?" Alice mused curiously as she walked toward them. She had her bowtruckle, Woody, sitting on her shoulder, yawning.

"Oh, yeah. Forget Jenna's question. Answer hers first." Marlene gestured her head at Alice with a grin, keen on knowing the whole story.

"Nothing. I'm just here to talk to Evans." James shrugged, as though he wasn't stuck right outside their window on the highest point of the Gryffindor Tower. "A little help wouldn't hurt you lot either," he said, once again pulling his cloak helplessly. "By the way, what time is it?"

"Ten minutes to twelve. Why?" Jenna asked sharply, but her question was once again left unanswered.

"Good. I still have ten minutes to midnight," said James, mostly talking to himself.

"Why? Before your carriage turns into a pumpkin?" Lily said wittily.

James furrowed his brows in confusion. "Huh?"

"Oh, forget it." Lily rolled her eyes. "Wizards."

"Okay, never mind that." James shook his head, finally letting go of his cloak defeatedly. He then looked back up at Lily, a charming smile returning to his face. "You broke my heart today, Evans. But no matter. No matter. I say let bygones be bygones. All I would like to say is that this —" he pointed at the space between then, "is meant to happen. Because I keep thinking that it's fate, trying to bring us together."

"You're stuck at our window in the middle of the night, Potter. What are you even doing here?"

     "Fate, Evans! Weren't you listening!?" James huffed, pinching the bridge of his nose before continuing. "Can someone just help me get inside!?"

Sighing, Jenna brought her wand from her nightstand and pointed it at James's cloak which was stuck, using a spell to at last free him.

"Took you long enough." James scoffed, hopping off the windowsill and into the girls' dorm. He then looked back at Lily, retrieving his arrogant smirk. "I wanted to ask you out on that date we talked about earlier today, Evans. Now what do you say?"